Davide Santon : Inter Milan's young star !

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Re: Davide Santon : Inter Milan's young star !

Stankovic got subbed on on the 47th minute actually and replaced Muntari

Ok fair enough. I missed the game. What i was saying was that Mourinho would prefer a midfield consisting of cambs,muntari,stankovic and zanetti. Meaning there is no place in it really for Maxwell.

Anyways, would be interesting to see his selection for the fixture against Man Utd. Easily one of the biggest games for him since taking over....

Okay, I need to clear some things up. This is from an Inter Milan fan's perspective and knowledge.

First off, Maxwell, as Ben has pointed out, is indeed an offensive player, despite his natural position, and Santon indeed is superior to him in defending. However, again as Ben has pointed out, Maxwell will not likely be completely dropped from the starting lineup. He performed well in the left midfield, linking exceptionally with his successor, Santon. By the way, Ben, Inter always play with a 4-3-1-2. Muntari had an attacking role. Instead of having Maxwell dropped from the lineup, a decision Mourinho knows well enough to go against, Maxwell assumed Muntari's role and Muntari received Stankovic's role.

For the Manchester United match, I would expect Mourinho to be as daring as he was in the Milan derby by selecting Santon ahead of Maxwell. However, he has an option here. He will either be removing Maxwell or Stankovic - Muntari is irriplaceble, as all of you seem to be aware of. To be honest, although Stankovic can offer the occasional venomous strike Inter need, Maxwell's passing ability could be favored. Against an opposition like Manchester United, a formidable passing move is required to get past the likes of Van Der Sar.

Additionally, Muntari would act as a rock in the Inter attack. He is the only one capable of playing an attacking role against defenders as tough as Ferdinand. So, I think the Bologna formation is more likely to be reused than substituted by the Milan formation.

Okay' date=' I need to clear some things up. This is from an Inter Milan fan's perspective and knowledge.

First off, Maxwell, as Ben has pointed out, is indeed an offensive player, despite his natural position, and [b']Santon indeed is superior to him in defending[/b]. However, again as Ben has pointed out, Maxwell will not likely be completely dropped from the starting lineup. He performed well in the left midfield, linking exceptionally with his successor, Santon. By the way, Ben, Inter always play with a 4-3-1-2. Muntari had an attacking role. Instead of having Maxwell dropped from the lineup, a decision Mourinho knows well enough to go against, Maxwell assumed Muntari's role and Muntari received Stankovic's role.

For the Manchester United match, I would expect Mourinho to be as daring as he was in the Milan derby by selecting Santon ahead of Maxwell. However, he has an option here. He will either be removing Maxwell or Stankovic - Muntari is irriplaceble, as all of you seem to be aware of. To be honest, although Stankovic can offer the occasional venomous strike Inter need, Maxwell's passing ability could be favored. Against an opposition like Manchester United, a formidable passing move is required to get past the likes of Van Der Sar.

Additionally, Muntari would act as a rock in the Inter attack. He is the only one capable of playing an attacking role against defenders as tough as Ferdinand. So, I think the Bologna formation is more likely to be reused than substituted by the Milan formation.

Based on 4 or 5 games it is difficult to say that he is superior to anyone in defending. He is good yea, actually very good at defending but i need to see more of him and need to see if he is consistent enough. I also thought that he struggled a bit against Milan, can't blame him, but it was what i thought.

As for the Stankovic, Maxwell issue. I have always known Stanko as a brilliant passer of the ball and Maxwell as a tricky, pacy player who operates well on the flanks. Would think that Stankovic's passing ability could be favoured. Clearly we have different opinions...

Anyone have any idea what rating he will get in the italian rating changes?

Hard to tell mate. If he keeps playing he should be hitting the 86 mark i would say. We can't be sure though, Italians changes are quite far away and anything can happen between that time.

Just to go back to his skill for a moment, rather than his rating...

I'm currently watching him playing for Inter against United (as I'm sure many of you are) and he is looking alright. Wouldn't say Inter as a whole are doing well but then that just makes him look even better, especially playing alongside Rivas who certainly does not look good :D

I think he's done well against Ronaldo a couple of times which can't be said for many defenders in the prem. Looks like he could be one that lives up to some of the hype around him (on here or otherwise :D )

Just to go back to his skill for a moment' date=' rather than his rating...

I'm currently watching him playing for Inter against United (as I'm sure many of you are) and he is looking alright. Wouldn't say Inter as a whole are doing well but then that just makes him look even better, especially playing alongside Rivas who certainly does not look good :D

I think he's done well against Ronaldo a couple of times which can't be said for many defenders in the prem. Looks like he could be one that lives up to some of the hype around him (on here or otherwise :D )[/quote']

Inter playing very god now and Santon is doing good against Ronaldo to be fair.He has made 1 attacking run that i can recall???

Just watching him now. He's got real confidence going forward, definitely not afraid to take players on and some nice skill as well. Defensively he's done well from what I've seen, not scared of Ronaldom and not making any rash challenges, like most Prem defenders.

where is c.ronaldo?

santon has always blocked him!!!!

a great champion!!!!!

SANTON did well against him i agree.. but then ronaldo stepped it up and nobody cud really handle him..

hes still a kid though and shud grow with more games under his belt.

He's just 18 aswel.

Santon handled Ronaldo very well I thought. He certainly didn't let him get the better of him and looked very assured at LB despite being right footed. He even managed to get forwward a few times despite having to mark Ronaldo. Muntari's poor performance just ahead of him on the left wing probably did him no favours either. Glad I got this kid signed for most of my teams. He should be italian first choice left back in no time considering our Dossena is currently playing there and he's rubbish lol.

I must be the only one on here that thinks he is pretty much useless on the ball, His touch is woeful. Not just in this game but in the Milan derby last week everytime he touches the ball he knocks it 5 yards to far ahead of him and invites a tackle on himself or loses it...

Solid defensivley i will admit much like Evra but on the ball he is very dangerous - to his own team. I think some people on here are just jumping in the bandwagon as usual because they bought a 75 rated player playing regularly for the Italian Champions and are getting a bit carried away.

Santon handled Ronaldo very well I thought. He certainly didn't let him get the better of him and looked very assured at LB despite being right footed. He even managed to get forwward a few times despite having to mark Ronaldo. Muntari's poor performance just ahead of him on the left wing probably did him no favours either. Glad I got this kid signed for most of my teams. He should be italian first choice left back in no time considering our Dossena is currently playing there and he's rubbish lol.

Wow' date=' I didn't know he was right-footed. If this is so, then he could be chosen by Mourinho to play in place of Maicon in the (rare) case that Maicon is ever out of a match. :)

I thought Grosso was the primary left back. :confused: Knowing Lippi, however, Santon will most likely not be chosen due to his age anyway, being below the upper 20's. :rolleyes:

I must be the only one on here that thinks he is pretty much useless on the ball, His touch is woeful. Not just in this game but in the Milan derby last week everytime he touches the ball he knocks it 5 yards to far ahead of him and invites a tackle on himself or loses it...

Solid defensivley i will admit much like Evra but on the ball he is very dangerous - to his own team. I think some people on here are just jumping in the bandwagon as usual because they bought a 75 rated player playing regularly for the Italian Champions and are getting a bit carried away.

As a young left-back, I don't think he should be better. Versatility will come with age. I am sure that he will eventually be equally skillful in attack. :)

Wow' date=' I didn't know he was right-footed. If this is so, then he could be chosen by Mourinho to play in place of Maicon in the (rare) case that Maicon is ever out of a match. :)

I thought [b']Grosso[/b] was the primary left back. :confused: Knowing Lippi, however, Santon will most likely not be chosen due to his age anyway, being below the upper 20's. :rolleyes:

As a young left-back, I don't think he should be better. Versatility will come with age. I am sure that he will eventually be equally skillful in attack. :)

Grosso plays for Lyon. He was involved in their goal.

I think this is a pretty good summary of his performance. Muntari was utterly useless both going forward and defending but then I also think Chivu (who I thought was excellent) did a good job in coming across to help Santon out. I don't think he (Santon) looked great going forward but I have seen videos of him showing more skill one-on-one than we saw from him last night. The types of flaws he showed (first touch, running with his head down, sometimes, I thought, a lack of willingness to take the ball off people - some of which are mentioned above) are all ones I'd typically associate with the fact he's 18.

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

I think Santon should try and improve with his left foot, because, in the end, he will become quite predictable. Defenders will know that he will always try to come on in the inside, and I think John O'Shea started to realise that towards the end.

Nevertheless, I feel Santon played quite well, and I think he will have a bright future. I am not saying that because of bias, because I was the first on here to make a thread, but because I genuinely feel he will be a good player.

Starts today at LB against Roma at home.

He's gonna be a future superstar!

I can't express how happy i am i brought him, i know he won't get in to most of my teams starting line-ups but the amount of my teams that will benifit from him will be awesome.