English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament Norwich vs Coventry Norwich are set to play their first match of the Season against Coventry. Norwich know it will be a tough match, as Coventry

Re: English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament

sorry for the crappy match report people i cant get into the match report :(

Its fine, its due to the friendlies be re-arranged by SM. Also, because of the old season's records being completely wiped, Ive lost track of who has scored, so the scorers chart has gone. Soz chaps!

Preston gaffer in selection headache

Preston manager James Burrow has admitted to SM News that he has no idea who will play on Friday vs Leicester. After two comprehensive losses in Div1, reports are surfacing that the club are lining up Assistant manager Rory Kennedy as a replacement. Heres what he had to say:

"I am of course immensely disappointed with the results so far. In the Chelsea game, we didnt deserve to lose having matched them all over the park. I take some of the blame as I wasnt there for the game, and that can have an effect on the players. We have been trying out different formations in training and we have decided to revert to the formation which won us the cup. The only problem is, the formation does not incorporate our star player Modric. Also, with just the one forward up front, I now have to choose between Zaki and Bent."

He went on to say that Lucas's knee is just a sprain and he should be back for the league match with Yap's Southampton. He went on to say that Phil Jagielka has been released from hospital and that he should be fit before the end of the season, and will probably be back for the reverse fixture against Southampton.

James also paid tribute to Rotherham manager André Reid, who have got off to a great start in Div4, winning 2 out of 2. The Englishman, who has won the Div4 trophy before, with Gillingham, has also spent a lot of cash bringing in new faces, bringing in 15 players in a week. The squad is mainly made up of Preston old-boys, with Neil Mellor scoring this weekend, and Paul McKenna scoring against the Lilywhites. James said he may be calling on him for some loan signings.

Preston v Leicester

EC106 Challenge Cup Preview

Preston will be forced into one change, with Gareth Bale unable to participate due to a cold. Manager James Burrow may use this match to find his best XI, as the Lilywhites have lost 2 on the trot, and are 19th in the league. Darren Bent should start after scoring from the bench on his debut. The Preston boss, who is allowed in the dug-out tonight as the tournament isnt recognised by the SMFA, may revert to four at the back, which means someone in the team will be dropped. Axel Witsel is in line for his debut tonight.

Leicester's loan signings Gary Cahill and Ivan Marcano could line up against his parent club tonight to make his debut. Aging goalkeeper Alberto Fontana will be in net, and Serbian forward Marko Pantelic, voted Leicester's POTY last season, should start. Leicester are still looking for their first win, but that win could take them to top spot depending on goals scored.

Preston finally win!

Preston won for the first time in 5 matches to almost guarantee themselves a place in the knockout stages of the EC 106 Challenge Cup.

Jan Vertonghen got his first goal for the club and Mark Noble extended the lead, with Marko Pantelic pulling one back for the Foxes. PNE manager James Burrow experimented with a new 4-3-3 formation, with Vertonghen playing DM instead of RB. It worked, as after 17 minutes, the Belgian scored. Preston had five shots on goal, all on target. We caught up with James after the match.

"Im delighted with the win. I think I'll be sticking with 4-3-3! Luka (Modric) had his best performance in a North End shirt, Mark Noble got MoM, and our finishing was superb. It's a shame that over £20m worth of strikers cant play, but I am a manager for rotation, and they will all get their chance."

In related news, Coventry and Darlington played out a 6-goal thriller at the Ricoh Arena, with Darlington coming out on top. Argentine German Denis got two goals for the away side. James Brown got a goal on debut for Coventry.

Rotherham held Charlton to a 2-2 draw, further boosting manager André Reid's credentials as a top manager. Timar scored for the Millers, before two quick goals from Pavlyuchenko and Kranjcar put the Addicks ahead, with Jamal Campbell-Ryce rescuing a point for Rotherham.

Coventry city reserves loose at just 4-2 against darlington.

Again after the perfomance on wednesday i thought i would give them a chance against Darlington in the friendly cup.

The side produced a excellant game and was surprised we lost at just 4-2 the reserve team played their hearts out and in the end it was a brilliant result for them and i couldnt have asked more of them.

I think that Southampton should have scored more on wednesday but think Darlington should be kicking themselves for winning with a goal differance against such a low rated starting XI.

Preston v Rotherham

EC 106 Challenge Cup Preview

Preston are expected to field a strong side, as they try to find the winning formation and squad to use in the league. New signings Johnson, Witsel and Handanovic may make their debuts, with Huddlestone making the bench. Amr Zaki may make his first start of the season.

Rotherham have won their first four league games, but are third in the Cup table, and need a win to have any chance of progressing. Top scorer Luke Varney is out injured, so Jon Parkin may make his debut. Paul McKenna is expected to captain the side against his former club. Former Preston target Ryan Bertrand may start at left-back. New signings Simon Whaley and Richard Chaplow should make the first team.

Preston manager James Burrow praised opposition manager André Reid for what he has done with the team. Heres what he had to say to SM News:

"I recommended that André go into management and was surprised to see him win silverware in his first season. Since then he has managed in the top flight with Blackburn and now he is back in the basement league with Rotherham. He has worked magic with that team, taking them to the top. With our current form, I would take a lot of pride from beating my rival."

Preston lose yet again, this time to Rotherham!

Under-fire manager James Burrow gained yet more critics after his strong side lost to Division 4 side Rotherham. Defender Kristian Timar scored for the Millers. Preston have now lost 5 of their last 7 games, their only win coming against Leicester.

Rotherham now take second spot in the table, having scored one more goal than Charlton.

Sheffield Shocker

Sheffield fans are amazed by the friendly result tonight as they thashed a strong Norwich side 3-0. Goals came from Kuzmanovic, Suarez and Higuian in an impressive encounter.

"For the first time this season, I saw a connection between all the players. They played as a team, a group. I have been saying for weeks that the turning point was coming but I truly believe this is the night."

This result also brings Sheffield into joint 2nd place in their friendly tournament table and since they lost there first two games that is an amazing feat.

"For the first time in weeks I am happy with my position as manager, my team and my connection with my players including the new transfers. Now we just need a reoccurence of tonight."

"I'm Taking This Seriously"

Sheffield win again in the friendly tournament bringing them into a firm position at 2nd place in their league. Some will say that Sheffield have the advantage from the start as the Coventry manager did not play his 1st side while Sheffield played their full regular team, although apart from Brown and Adu the teams seamed very similar in quality.

"I am so pleased with my squad at the moment. They have won 3 games out of the last 4, this also including a draw. Just because this is a friendly tournament, it doesnt mean i'm not taking it seriously. I see this as an opportunity to boost the morale of my 1st team squad and to give them more experience."

Can I just remind everyone that this is still going ahead. I have played all my home friendlies but am still waiting for friendly invites from WillC. Here is the list of games still to be played:

Birmingham v Preston

Charlton v Rotherham

Charlton v Birmingham

Birmingham v Rotherham

Norwich v Darlington

Norwich v Sheff Wed

Coventry v Norwich

Darlington v Coventry

Is it too late for Manchester City to join? like could i take over Norwich's place?

I suppose so. Norwich had a slight chance of progressing so you can give it a go. I'll replace the teams now. You'll be starting with Norwich's current points (i.e. not starting again)

I suppose so. Norwich had a slight chance of progressing so you can give it a go. I'll replace the teams now. You'll be starting with Norwich's current points (i.e. not starting again)

thanks so much! i like bit of a challenge. so basically just to check i fully understand- basically the games are played as 'friendlies'? so my next game is against darlington? i no i sound dumb but wanna be 10% sure!

Just organise friendlies with the opposition of which you still need to play and then James Burrows will sort out the amount of points you scored in the game with the unique scoring system on the 1st page of this thread.

For example, when I beat you by around 3 goals to 1, I would score 3 for the win and 3 for the goals so 6 points. You would get 1 point for the goal. :P

good luck though.

Just organise friendlies with the opposition of which you still need to play and then James Burrows will sort out the amount of points you scored in the game with the unique scoring system on the 1st page of this thread.

For example' date=' when I beat you by around 3 goals to 1, I would score 3 for the win and 3 for the goals so 6 points. You would get 1 point for the goal. :P

good luck though.[/quote']

ah thanx. i wasnt bothered to read his whole post, instead I just looked at teh table and was like 'howd they get so many points?!' thanks for expaininh

For example' date=' when I beat you by around 3 goals to 1, I would score 3 for the win and 3 for the goals so 6 points. You would get 1 point for the goal. :P

good luck though.[/quote']

Well explained :D Sorry for not replying, had college today. Basically anyone can qualify up until the final round of matches, which keeps it tense :D I do the points on an Excel spreadsheet, as my mental arithmetic can lapse a bit.

2 Games tonight:

Darlington v Sheff Wed

Birmingham vs Preston