English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament

Re: English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament

Preston win thriller at St. Andrews!!

Preston brought their frankly embarrassing losing run to an end with a fantastic 3-2 win over Birmingham. Darren Bent, Mark Noble and Stewart Downing scored the goals, with Yepes and D'Alessandro replying for Birmingham. Preston took the lead through Bent, before conceding just a minute later, defender Mario Yepes poking home. The score stayed at 1-1 til half time.

Birmingham midfielder Andres D'Alessandro scored the second goal, putting the Blues in front. This time last week, Preston would have rolled over and conceded two or three more, but they held on in there, and despite the sending off of Antonio Valencia, Stewart Downing scored the equaliser two minutes after Valencia walked. Downing later recieved the MoM award. Downing was taken off soon after to a standing ovation, with Michael Johnson replacing him, with Preston changing to a more attacking 4-3-1-1, as Valencia had left the action. Darren Bent scored what turned out to be the winner in the 69th minute, with the away portion of the crowd jumping about. Preston made a second change to hold onto to the one goal, with David Wheater replacing the impressive Curtis Davies.

Full-time came, and the Birmingham stewards had their work cut out holding back the Preston fans. Manager James Burrow was surprisingly subdued, with his coaching staff dancing around him.

In related news, favourites for the cup Darlington took their total points to a fantastic 22 with a 4-1 win over Sheff Wednesday. Darlington along with Rotherham are unbeaten, with Darlington scoring 12 goals in 4 games.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament Norwich vs Coventry Norwich are set to play their first match of the Season against Coventry. Norwich know it will be a tough match, as Coventry

Darlington v Sheffield Wednesday

Friendly - Fri 5 Dec 2008

Darlington Arena (25,294) Referee Attendance - 25,261

Michael Flounders (162)........ Mohamed Benouza........... Tom Beard (93)

Darlington .......... .................................. ........ Sheffield Wednesday

....................................... 4 - 1

Half Time: (1 - 1)

P.BOJAN KRKIC 34 .............. ................... .............. ... M.SULEJMANI 7

M.EVER BANEGA 48, 59

C.LUIS FABIANO 83

Will have to check back, see how many points i get for this one.

How many more games do i need to play?

Darlington v Sheffield Wednesday

Friendly - Fri 5 Dec 2008

Darlington Arena (25' date='294) Referee Attendance - 25,261

Michael Flounders (162) Mohamed Benouza Tom Beard (93)

Darlington Sheffield Wednesday

4 - 1

Half Time: (1 - 1)

P.BOJAN KRKIC 34 M.SULEJMANI 7

M.EVER BANEGA 48, 59

C.LUIS FABIANO 83

Will have to check back, see how many points i get for this one.

How many more games do i need to play?[/quote']

Its on the first page, second post. All the fixtures in bold are still to be arranged.

sorry i havent been organising friendlies and posting as much as before but i was realy busy! but am back and will be making friendlies asap!

EDIT: Just to say the 2 clubs i have left to pla are both playing games on the 12th so i couldnt organise a cup tournament game until the 19th (which is against Darlington)

sorry i havent been organising friendlies and posting as much as before but i was realy busy! but am back and will be making friendlies asap!

EDIT: Just to say the 2 clubs i have left to pla are both playing games on the 12th so i couldnt organise a cup tournament game until the 19th (which is against Darlington)

Its fine Sean, at least you are putting in the effort to complete your fixtures.

Btw, from the K/O rounds onward, if a team is quit by the manager, instead of another team replacing them, the match is forfeited, with their opponents progressing.

Man City have yet to arrange a friendly with me so that would be nice.

Even if we have just recently played in the english shield and that im playing u tomorrow.it can be 3 times in 2 weeks. lol

ye sorry i arranged one with darlington and i was waiting for another friendly 'slot' to be availible. ill send one now. im desperate for a win!

Its still very open in both league tables. Darlington are the first to qualify, barring a catastrophic final game vs Coventry! A 3-0 win for Man City against Sheffield Wednesday would knock the Owls out. In Table 2, a 2-0 win over Leeds would give Rotherham first place, knocking Leeds out, so every goal is vital! Ryan has still to get back to me over outstanding fixtures, if anyone wants to take his place, tell me.

Its still very open in both league tables. Darlington are the first to qualify' date=' barring a catastrophic final game vs Coventry! A 3-0 win for Man City against Sheffield Wednesday would knock the Owls out. In Table 2, a 2-0 win over Leeds would give Rotherham first place, knocking Leeds out, so every goal is vital! Ryan has still to get back to me over outstanding fixtures, if anyone wants to take his place, tell me.[/quote']

I think at this point in the competition there wudnt be much point in sum1 replacing Ryan. There should be a process thought up to make it fair if Ryan does not reply. His team is awful so im not rly surprised;). But its ure tournament so u make the decisions, any way is good.

I think its very likely Man City will beat me 3-0 as this was the exact result 7 days ago in the English Cup. This could be a close one.

I think at this point in the competition there wudnt be much point in sum1 replacing Ryan. There should be a process thought up to make it fair if Ryan does not reply. His team is awful so im not rly surprised;). But its ure tournament so u make the decisions' date=' any way is good.

I think its very likely Man City will beat me 3-0 as this was the exact result 7 days ago in the English Cup. This could be a close one.[/quote']

i really hope i do!

I think at this point in the competition there wudnt be much point in sum1 replacing Ryan. There should be a process thought up to make it fair if Ryan does not reply. His team is awful so im not rly surprised;). But its ure tournament so u make the decisions' date=' any way is good.

I think its very likely Man City will beat me 3-0 as this was the exact result 7 days ago in the English Cup. This could be a close one.[/quote']

I agree, but as I said before, the score of each match is vital. If I award Rotherham a 2-0 win over Leeds, then Preston drop to second, which could affect the semi-finals. I'll see what happens. I'll ask Caleb of Charlton, or yap wei heng of Southampton, they are both active, or Reading (Matt Hall)

Darlington 2-0 Coventry

Darlington and Preston have now completed their allocated games. Sean and Jared, the fixture Man City v Coventry needs to be re-scheduled to Coventry v Man City as Man City's replacement (Norwich) already played Coventry at Norwich, so the remaining match needs to be at Coventry. Man City v Sheff Wed has still to be scheduled, as has Leeds v Birmingham, Ryan has sent the invite, Will needs to accept. Looks like this tournament is gonna carry on until after Christmas. I have exams in the first two weeks of January, so Im going to be less active. If we could have all the ties completed by then, that would be a large burden off my shoulders. :)

Darlington 2-0 Coventry

Darlington and Preston have now completed their allocated games. Sean and Jared' date=' the fixture [i']Man City v Coventry[/i] needs to be re-scheduled to Coventry v Man City as Man City's replacement (Norwich) already played Coventry at Norwich, so the remaining match needs to be at Coventry. Man City v Sheff Wed has still to be scheduled, as has Leeds v Birmingham, Ryan has sent the invite, Will needs to accept. Looks like this tournament is gonna carry on until after Christmas. I have exams in the first two weeks of January, so Im going to be less active. If we could have all the ties completed by then, that would be a large burden off my shoulders. :)

ye sorry about that just wanted to schedule them asap. just cancelled it now and waiting to recieve the request for it to be the other way round.