English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament Norwich vs Coventry Norwich are set to play their first match of the Season against Coventry. Norwich know it will be a tough match, as Coventry

Re: English Championship 106 - Friendly Tournament

Preston progressed to the final of the EC106 Challenge Cup after a 2-0 aggregate win over Sheff Wed. Goals from Stevan Jovetic and Marko Marin sealed the victory. Manager James Burrow was impressed with his side, especially as they were away from home.

The Lilywhites now go on to face Darlington in the final. The date and ground for the tie has yet to be arranged.

The 3rd and 4th Placed play-off is between Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday, At Charlton, as they scored one more goal.

Guest cabbytoodles

Yeah we can have one. It can be on the same day as the final. I thought you'd posted the scores then. Its nail-biting stuff. Also Darlington-Charlton first leg is tonight.

Hi James. Is my semi-final one legged or two? :P I lost sigh.

Hi James. Is my semi-final one legged or two? :P I lost sigh.

Just the one leg. Mine went to 2 cos we drew the first leg. Its like the FA Cup. Never mind, you did well considering your were the underdog and drafted in at the last minute. You can salvage some pride in the 3rd/4th place play-off. Its at Charlton, so its up to you to arrange it.

Guest cabbytoodles

Just the one leg. Mine went to 2 cos we drew the first leg. Its like the FA Cup. Never mind' date=' you did well considering your were the underdog and drafted in at the last minute. You can salvage some pride in the 3rd/4th place play-off. Its at Charlton, so its up to you to arrange it.[/quote']

Sure. Its unfair on Michael if I won too. Since I only joined one game before the semis. Good luck and thanks. Who to I face in the 3rd/4th? :o

Sure. Its unfair on Michael if I won too. Since I only joined one game before the semis. Good luck and thanks. Who to I face in the 3rd/4th? :o

Sheff Wed. They lost to me on aggregate 2-0. Darlington are favourites for the match, seeing as they are at home and are undefeated (I think)

Guest cabbytoodles

Sheff Wed. They lost to me on aggregate 2-0. Darlington are favourites for the match' date=' seeing as they are at home and are undefeated (I think)[/quote']

Okay funny thing is. Since I sent Robert Hilbert back to Chelsea ( Terminated his loan), my tactics totally collapsed! Lol, I lost 1-3 in two consecutive games - my worst form since taking over Charlton I must add. Okay, will offer Sheff Wed the friendly soon, any date is okay right?

Okay funny thing is. Since I sent Robert Hilbert back to Chelsea ( Terminated his loan)' date=' my tactics totally collapsed! Lol, I lost 1-3 in two consecutive games - my worst form since taking over Charlton I must add. Okay, will offer Sheff Wed the friendly soon, any date is okay right?[/quote']

Yeah fine, I havent written a date on yet. I have a similar situation with Stewart Downing. I have him on loan, but currently play Marin and he scored last night. Dunno what to do, as he'll be one of my high earners, but he aint playing.

Preston vs Darlington

EC106 Challenge Cup Final

Pre-Match Gossip

Two rival teams come face-to-face in the final of the inaugural EC106 Challenge Cup. Experienced manager James Burrow pits his Lilywhite's against the 'even-more-experienced' Darlington of Michael

Flounders. Lets see how they got here.......

Preston

Bad start for North End

Preston North End played Burnley in the opening match of the tournament. The Lancashire Derby finished 2-0 to the Clarets, with manager James Burrow under increasing pressure after a bad league start.

Sweet revenge for Lilywhites

Preston got the win they desperately needed against old rivals Burnley to go top of the table. A 3-0 win for Preston could well have saved James's job.

Preston slip up at Merry Millers

Preston failed to take advantage of Burnley's predecessors Charlton's draw with Leicester, as his side drew 1-1 with Div4 side Rotherham. The two managers are big rivals and to this day, Rotherham manager André Reid is unbeaten against Preston.

Narrow win for PNE

Preston won a nervy encounter against Leicester 2-1 in front of their own fans, to go top of the league by 4 points from Charlton. Jan Vertonghen scored on his full debut for Preston.

Preston slip up yet again to Millers

Preston fell to an embarrassing 2-1 loss to Rotherham, in André's finest managerial display. Rotherham jumped into 2nd place, just one point behind Preston.

Preston edge win against newcomers

Preston won away at Birmingham (Leicester's replacement) to finish their schedule of games to end on a not-so-convincing 19 points, with his closest rivals Rotherham having two games in hand.

Preston qualify top in late drama!

Preston finished top and unlucky Rotherham were eliminated after the Millers lost 3-2 to Birmingham and 5-3 to Leeds (Charlton's replacement) But Charlton were to bite back, as under a new manager, The Addicks beat the team who replaced them to nick the final qualifying place.

Semi-Final: Preston take 180 minutes to beat Sheffield Wednesday

Preston required two legs to beat Sheffield Wednesday, after a 0-0 home leg was followed by a 2-0 win for the Lilywhites. Stevan Jovetic scored on his recall to the side after a serious injury, and will probably start in the Final.

Table 2

1. Preston - P6 - W3 - D1 - L2 - GF 9 - GA 7 - Pts 19

2. Charlton - P6 - W2 - D2 - L2 - GF 10 - GA 9 - Pts 18#

----------

3. Leeds Utd - P6 - W2 - D2 - L2 - GF 9 - GA 10 - Pts 17*

4. Rotherham - P6 - W1 - D3 - L2 - GF 11 - GA 13 - Pts 17

* Charlton replaced by Leeds, original points stand

# Birmingham replaced by Charlton, original points stand

Darlington

Darlington get off to perfect start

Cup favourites Darlington showed just why they are cup favourites by beating eventual semi-finalists Sheffield Wednesday 3-1. In the other match, Norwich beat Coventry 2-1 in the shock of the night.

Darlington salvage late draw against Canaries

Norwich showed they meant business by drawing 1-1 with Darlington, who neededa late Luis Fabiano goal to salvage two points. The table was very tight, with two points separating 1st-placed Darlington and 3rd-placed Coventry.

Goal-fest at Ricoh!

Darlington won a memorable match against Coventry 4-2 to pull away at the top. German Denis scored a brace for the away side. Sheffield Wednesday won 3-0 against Norwich, shaking up the table. Norwich went from 2nd to bottom, with Coventry and Sheffield Wednesday occupying joint 2nd-place.

Darlington win another goal-marathon!!

Darlington could not stop scoring, this time thumping Sheffield Wednesday 4-1. Ever Banega following up his goal against Coventry with a brace. Elsewhere, Coventry beat Norwich's replacement Man City 3-1. Coventry started to pull away from the pack, having a five-point cushion over Sheffield Wednesday.

Darlington beat new blood

Darlington continued their unbeaten run against Norwich's replacement Man City, after a 2-1 win. Sheffield Wednesday beat close rivals Coventry 2-0 to draw level with them on points. With one game left, everything was very tense. Darlington closed in on 30 points with that win, with Man City bringing up the rear with a solitary 9 points.

Darlington go unbeaten with win over Coventry

Darlington clarified their position as table-toppers by beating Coventry 2-0 and in turn eliminating them. In the other crucial match, Sheffield Wednesday qualified for the semi-finals with a nail-biting 3-2 win over Man City, who finished 4th. The Owls had to avoid defeat to progress, but they didnt look like losing, with goals from Higuain and Kuzmanovic.

Semi-Final: Darlington beat Charlton in convincing display

Darlington only needed the one leg to dispose of newcomers Charlton, after a 3-1 win over the Addicks, despite coming from behind after Lukas Podolski opened the scoring.

Table 1

1. Darlington - P6 - W5 - D1 - L0 - GF 16 - GA 6 - Pts 32

2. Sheff Wed - P6 - W3 - D0 - L3 - GF 11 - GA 11 - Pts 20

----------

3. Coventry - P6 - W2 - D0 - L4 - GF 8 - GA 12 - Pts 14

4. Man City - P6 - W1 - D1 - L4 - GF 7 - GA 13 - Pts 11@

@ Norwich replaced by Man City, original points stand

So who will win the Final? We will know on the 25th January.

Guest cabbytoodles

Btw' date=' Sheffield Wednesday automatically win the 3rd placed play-off after the Charlton manager sensationally quit.[/quote']

Actually I won 3-0 then I quit :P

Sigh, pretty stupid of me to quit. Still not sure why I did it. If a decent club comes available I'll jump at the chance to join back EC106! :rolleyes:

Sigh' date=' pretty stupid of me to quit. Still not sure why I did it. If a decent club comes available I'll jump at the chance to join back EC106! :rolleyes:[/quote']

Kk, sorry about that. Just I thought one of you would have written up on it.

:P

Sigh' date=' pretty stupid of me to quit. Still not sure why I did it. If a decent club comes available I'll jump at the chance to join back EC106! :rolleyes:[/quote']

Well then you shouldnt of quit:p. It not fair if I end up a place behind someone who isn't even a manager anymore so in my opinion its only fair that I come 3rd.:P :p

:P

Well then you shouldnt of quit:p. It not fair if I end up a place behind someone who isn't even a manager anymore so in my opinion its only fair that I come 3rd.:P :p

He quit, then rejoined then quit again. Even though the gaem went ahead, Im heading towards offering the victory to Sheff Wed, or calling Leeds or Rotherham back in.

He quit' date=' then rejoined then quit again. Even though the gaem went ahead, Im heading towards offering the victory to Sheff Wed, or calling Leeds or Rotherham back in.[/quote']

It's only a third place play-off. Its no big deal really. I suppose you might as well call in Rotherham and ill give them a friendly. they're more deserving

It's only a third place play-off. Its no big deal really. I suppose you might as well call in Rotherham and ill give them a friendly. they're more deserving

Yeah go on, just do it over the one leg. I'll tell him to accept.

EDIT: Caleb also quit Sevilla in WC3338 at almost the same time as he did at Charlton. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Preston v Darlington

EC106 Challenge Cup - Leg One

Match Preview

Preston will look to put their dismal league form behind them as they entertain fellow league side Darlington in the inaugural EC106 Challenge Cup Final.

Preston will be without Glen Johnson, the defender joining an increasing injury list with a head injury. He joins Peter Crouch and Ched Evans in the treatment room. Winger Stewart Downing had his loan contract terminated today after a string of bad performances. That could mean a recall for either Marko Marin or Antonio Valencia. Daid Nugent made the bench against newcastle, but didnt play, so he still awaits his second debut.

Darlington have been clear favourites throughout this tournament, with a run-away victory in the group stages and they dispatched semi-finalists Charlton over just one leg.

Darlington are on a eight match unbeaten streak, with four wins in a row. The same team which played in these games may play tonight against the Lilywhites. Forwards Fabiano and Denis are on hot form, with them scoring 3 and 5 goals respectively in their last 4 matches. Defender John Heitinga is their only absentee.

Guest cabbytoodles

Yeah go on' date=' just do it over the one leg. I'll tell him to accept.

EDIT: [b']Caleb also quit Sevilla in WC3338 at almost the same time as he did at Charlton. Hmmmmm[/b] :rolleyes:

:( Haha. I was doing a revamp of all my teams. I quitted about 80% of all my teams in that 5 minutes spree. Wanted to take some new teams to breathe new life. Hmmm. Kinda regret it now but well... Haha :rolleyes:

Nine-men Preston take slight advantage into second leg

Preston North End caused an upset last night, beating favourites Darlington in the first leg of the EC106 Challenge Cup Final. Antonio Valencia scored on his recall to the side, and Shaun Wright-Phillips scored his first goal for the club. Darlington had brought the score back to 1-1 through Luis Fabiano.

But this was not the major talking point. That was the dismissal of two North End players. Midfielder Mark Noble and forward Tomas Necid were both sent off in the second half, with the score at 1-1.

The second leg is played at Darlington on the 25th Jan. Will the solitary away goal prove costly?