The essence of REAL scouting

Alexander

I really didn't know where to post this, but i decided that this section was as good as any.

It isn't a helping thread, or a thread with the newest "talent" bought by Man. Utd.

It is a thread which is meant to be read, thought about and then hopefully understood. It is a thread with MY opinion, and my opinion is not affected by anyone or anything that doesn't agree with me.

This is like a raised hand, a reminder, for all of you that maybe have forgotten what scouting is really about.

I'm sure not all will agree, but i hope the most will. And even if nobody agrees, i will still be happy that i statet what i think is an important statement.

Allright.

When you make a thread about a new player you've found, you should be doing it because you like it, and NOT for the rep. You should only scout because that is what you want to do. Im not saying that if you are doing it for the rep, the player isnt as good as if you werent, im just saying that rep isnt the thing that should keep you going. Your will to scout is. Now, i know, that i have made one or two threads hoping for rep, only partially, but hoping. Ive thought about it, and have come to the conclusion that i, and others, shouldnt do that. It feels much better when you make a talent thread of pure will than of pure need for rep. I know not everyone does that. Everyone would deny it if you asked, but people do it. I havent got any examples, but that doesnt matter as this thread isnt made to blame people.

My statement is:

Scout because you like scouting, not because you like rep!

If people agree, please feel free to say so, and if you dont, feel free to criticize, just keep it constructal.

As earlier mentioned, this is only my opinion, and there might not be anyone who agrees. I just think i had to say this out loud, for people to think about it, and maybe learn how to appreciate scouting if you dont already.

I do. ;)

Re: The essence of REAL scouting

Totally agree with you Alexander. I was looking through this morning and found some muppet casting up a thread from 2007, when the guy was looking for a midfielder. It was obvious the person didn't know what they were looking for by his admittence of copying and pasting.

Here's the link http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?p=424555#post424555

Scout because you like scouting' date=' not because you like rep![/size']

I think that 1 sentence sums it up. Few days ago seen a thread with "HUGE RISER" in the subject, wasn't until I opened it and started reading that I realised the author KNEW the player wasn't that good and said might get +4 but just wanted peoples attention by stating "HUGE RISER" in subject.

"HUGE &$^%er" is what I was thinking :mad:

I think a lot of people have been thinking this, and i respect you for speaking out.

I could name a few people who "scout" just for rep, and they are quite successful with it aswell :rolleyes: . Too many threads nowadays where people simply find a website, copy and paste a few players from it, and call them "BIG RISERS" or "AMAZING PROSPECTS" :rolleyes:

TBH, I don't pay much attention to reputation points, I always prefer a thank you privately or publicly.

If people dislike when others create threads or posts just for rep, don't rep them, in fact, warn them against it. Presumably in a PM, so we avoid public conflicts.

Yes this is a good point to note and I'm glad you raised it.

When I first joined the forum, I really needed some attention or wanted to get popular on it.

So i took the step of scouting which was fun and interesting to me.

My first ones were not that weird but unimpressive.

I got the support from the forumers and improved upon my strategy.

I don't go about racking the web for identifying talents but just post the ones that appear in my dream:p

It's normal as new people are joining the forum with different ideologies.

You might be considerate and others could be biased.

I hope they learn from this thread because I once got disturbed from it.

Some posts have titles like "Amazing Talent" , " Riser by 10+" etc

When you read it turns out to be some 12-year old who doesn't even know how to run well. Others are from some very very low-profile leagues and you know they won't cross the 75 mark.

Please keep this forum tidy and helpful as it was when I joined 20 months ago.

IOA, i agree with you. Ive always appreciated a positive reply more than rep. Maybe 70/30.

And Ahmed, ive always enjoyed reading your talent threads, because the player mentioned is always something special, and not just a player who will rise +5, and then just be forgotten.

Im really glad this thread has gotten this much positive attention, and i hope future, as well as current, scouts think about this thread before posting a new talent. :)

The way I see it, you must be pretty wrong in the head to think that reputation points actually mean anything. Your life must suck if reputation on a forum is really that important to you.

"Must... recieve... rep... to live..."

I've never asked for rep, I never will ask for rep and whenever I see somebody asking for rep then my respect for that person is greatly diminished. If you post something that helps people then they'll do the repping without being told to do so.

Yes this is a good point to note and I'm glad you raised it.

When I first joined the forum' date=' I really needed some attention or wanted to get popular on it.

So i took the step of scouting which was fun and interesting to me.

My first ones were not that weird but unimpressive.

I got the support from the forumers and improved upon my strategy.

I don't go about racking the web for identifying talents but just post the ones that appear in my dream:p

It's normal as new people are joining the forum with different ideologies.

You might be considerate and others could be biased.

I hope they learn from this thread because I once got disturbed from it.

[b']Some posts have titles like "Amazing Talent" , " Riser by 10+" etc

When you read it turns out to be some 12-year old who doesn't even know how to run well. Others are from some very very low-profile leagues and you know they won't cross the 75 mark.[/b]

Please keep this forum tidy and helpful as it was when I joined 20 months ago.

You pretty much have to. If you just post the player name, no one reads it.

Example : Cheik M'Bengue

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

This is why I keep reiterating that rep should be removed. I'm sick of threads which mention players that have been scouted many times get a reply over scouts that have put time and effort into scouting unknown players that will rise. I know plenty of people on here who do that kind of thing but I won't publicly humiliate you.

You pretty much have to. If you just post the player name' date=' no one reads it.

Example : Cheik M'Bengue

No, I disagree, people do read. However, they do not read as much as if it was one of the mentioned threads. In fact, they might not comment as well.

The thing is, people will just look at the thread, remember whose posted it and maybe do extra research and then buy him without a comment, it's what I do, which I shouldn't really, seeing as time and effort has been put into the threads and posts.

From now on, if I have a player you've recommended and he's increased a little thank you is coming your way:)

Guest King Kolo

I think that 1 sentence sums it up. Few days ago seen a thread with "HUGE RISER" in the subject' date=' wasn't until I opened it and started reading that I realised the author KNEW the player wasn't that good and said might get +4 but just wanted peoples attention by stating "HUGE RISER" in subject.

"HUGE &$^%er" is what I was thinking :mad:[/quote']

DonĀ“t you Mean +6 :P

it should OF perhaps been stickied but' date=' to tell you the truth, it has just turned into a massive argument over how and why you get rep :P[/quote']

There's no argument, TBH most of this thread was about a lot of things you do, read carefully and learn;)

There's no argument' date=' TBH most of this thread was about a lot of things you do, read carefully and learn;)[/quote']

well sorry...was just about to delete that message after i read the whole thread...will do now :D

What is your problem with me btw IOA, and i know now you are gonna try to act innocent but i know you got summink up with me since the Bojan thing :rolleyes:

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

The way I see it' date=' you must be pretty wrong in the head to think that reputation points actually mean anything. Your life must suck if reputation on a forum is really that important to you.

I've never asked for rep, I never will ask for rep and whenever I see somebody asking for rep then my respect for that person is greatly diminished. If you post something that helps people then they'll do the repping without being told to do so.[/quote']

Spot on, who gives a monkey about getting a rep, what does it mean anyway, most times it just seems like sucking up to be liked. Who cares is what I feel about this rep process, a load of bull. People should be swapping ideas and thoughts without regard of getting rewarded for it. David