Sign in to follow this  
Hesse

Hesse's guide to success in the transfer market.

INTRODUCTION

Ok, so after many weeks of thought I have finally decided to start writing this guide, which I hope will help some of the newer members; and maybe some of the older ones in their dealings in the transfer market. I of course start with the almost compulsory apology if someone has done this already, but I did search and couldn’t find anything similar! :o

The initial idea for this guide was to try and help Managers with the negotiating of transfer deals, and over time as I have given it more thought in my daydreams at work, and whilst doing the washing up, and so it has evolved in my mind to a bigger project to pass on some of my experience that I have gained playing this game for the past year or so. Of course, there are more experienced Managers out there, and you are all of course welcome to add your thoughts to the thread, and I will endeavour to edit it as time goes on to add those ideas, so that it might be a “stickied” thread for Noobies and general reference. Hopefully, it may also lead to a more harmonious atmosphere in the game with less Managers falling out with each other in Game Worlds! Much of it I hope is common sense, and may not be appreciated by all (if any!) but I hope someone finds it useful.

Are you all sitting comfortably? Then we shall begin……. :D

pic09208.jpg

At the start of a Game World Managers start on a level-playing field....hopefully this guide could tilt things in your favour.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

The first and most important thing to remember when negotiating a transfer deal is to put yourself in the shoes of the other Manager that you are dealing with:

• First of all, if you were them would you be prepared to sell the player, and if not, what sort of deal might entice you to consider the sale? The amount of times I have been offered a couple of ageing 84 players plus some cash for a 90 star centre back is ridiculous!

• Secondly, what players does the other Manager need to strengthen their squad, and what formation do they usually play? For instance, if the other team only have one decent centre-forward, then they are unlikely to let him go. You can, of course, work this to your advantage; by offering two slightly lower rated forwards in exchange for his, hence adding depth to their squad. You can even point out the short-comings of his squad to him (politely!) by various means of communication that I will cover later.

• Next consider the financial side of the deal. Cash is more or less useless in Gold Game Worlds, although there are some notable exceptions to the rule, with at least one well known former dealing only in cash in some Game Worlds. So is the Manager that you are trying to deal with going to accept a cash offer? The answer is probably not, although recent changes within the game in Gold Gameworlds mean that Sm are trying to put the value back into cash. Only time will tell if these changes will bear fruit. I personally have been more inclined recently to deal in cash, but not yet for my better players.

• Finally, look at the type of deals your target has done in the past. Is he looking to amass a team of “Galaticos”, or is he looking to build a well balanced young squad? Use this to your advantage, depending on what you want to do yourself. If you don’t really want a 95 rated dinosaur, but your target Manager loves them, then try to get a 2 for 1 offer for two lower rated up and coming youngsters to add depth to your squad. The theory of course works in reverse, and you will find that most experienced managers will favour talented youth over established experience, because given relatively little time, those superstar players will generally start to drop in their rating.

Wenger.jpg

It's lonely being a grumpy Manager...none of your peers will talk to you...

:D

GENERAL TRANSFER MARKET ETIQUETTE

I don’t want to spend too much time boring you all with manners and a great list of do’s and do not’s, but this really is an important part of the game, and was kind of the original motivation behind the guide. What I am trying to do is not to be condescending, and at the same time try to make the gaming environment a little more harmonious.

The first point is made to try to save virtually every manager in the game some time, because still not everybody seems to have grasped the concept of the £5k listing! If you see Kaka listed for £5k, it does not mean that the selling manager has lost his marbles, and that you are about to get the bargain of the century (his Chairman wouldn’t let you anyway!). It means that the Manager is looking for a part-exchange deal only, and is not interested in cash deals. Another variation is the £1M listing, but it normally means the same thing. It wastes the time of all those involved when Managers place cash only bids for players that have been listed in this way, and Managers who continually make such bids have been named as “MLIs” (Managers of Low Intelligence) of other threads! :mad:

*On 02/05/2009 it became possible within the Transfer List interface to place players on the Transfer List for part exchange only. In the interim there will still be players listed under the 5k and £1M method, until Managers get to grips with this change. It still does not mean that you can pick Kaka up for £5k! If you see a player listed under p/e only, then chances are the owning Manager means it, so again, do not waste their time with a cash bid!!

Communication is the next point I would like to cover. It is an integral part of many transfer deals, because when it breaks down, so will your deal in the majority of cases. The main transfer interface in the game has again improved vastly in the last year, with you now being able to tell a Manager from a drop-down list why their transfer offer is being rejected. Although a good start, it is not the best way to conduct deals. There are two ways that you can communicate with other Managers in-game, or at least get the channels of communication open; i.e. Private Messages or the Chat Room; plus of course here on the forums. I have tried to avoid a list of do’s and do not’s but here it is important:-

• Do not write in text speak because apart from being irritating for many, you need to consider that there are many Managers in the game for whom English is not their first language, and they will probably not understand you;

• Remember that 80-85% of communication in a face to face situation is non-verbal and comes from body language. Over the Internet you don’t have the luxury of this, so make sure that you don’t misinterpret what someone is saying to you, and make sure you are clear in what you say;

• Don’t take offence too easily. Remember that there is a difference between someone being rude and being a tough negotiator. Just because you don’t see eye to eye on the value of a player is not cause to fall out! The beauty of this game is that we all have our own opinions on what different players are worth. Also as a footnote to this remember, that just because several managers don’t agree with you on the value of a player, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t any Managers that agree with you;

• Always answer transfer offers or private messages. If someone has taken the time to try to communicate with you, then at least do them the courtesy of taking the time to respond. However, remember that you don’t have to give them an answer on a transfer deal straight away (and nor do they in the vice-versa situation), but if you need some time to think, let them know. Some Managers are known to have “transfer blacklists” – that is to say that they will not deal with Managers who don’t answer transfer offers or private messages;

• When deciding to communicate with a Manager by Private Message, always check to see if you have been in contact with them before first. This is to give you an idea of how communications have gone with this Manager in the past; such as whether they answer PMs, or even if they are somebody that it is possible to communicate civilly with. Remember though, that everybody has had their "off-days" so don't necessarily read too much into this, just trust your judgement. You can do this by making contact via the Manager's profile rather than through one of their player's profiles;

• Finally, if things do go completely pear-shaped, and you end up falling out with a manager, try to see if you have a mutual “friend” within the game, that might be able to mediate. You might not want to the talk to the guy now, but who says that he won’t have a player you want to buy in a few months time?

GETTING TO KNOW THE MANGERS WITHIN YOUR GAME WORLD.

A vital part of becoming an established member of a Game World if you intend to be around for some time to come is to get to know the other Managers that you are competing with, because these will also be the Managers that you will be negotiating with. It is especially important to get to know the Managers of the big teams, be you a large or small club, because even if you are unlikely to ever afford to buy their best players, you may wish to take some of their squad players on loan at some point. There are a number of ways in which this can be achieved:-

• At the start of a new Game World, or even when joining an established set-up; make a point of introducing yourself to the other Managers. Tell them who you manage, and try to get them on your side by wishing them good luck;

• Research what they are doing within the Game World. Have they just had a good result against a mutual rival, or have they just won a cup or the league? Send them a message of congratulations, and this may help to build a rapport with them which you may be able to exploit at a later date. Try not to be too blatantly false and shallow though!;:P

• When you are maybe looking to add a little depth to your squad; and as a result you are looking to offer a particularly good player in maybe a two-for-one deal use the PM system and the Newspaper. Send a PM to all the Managers that you feel may be able to offer the players that you are after in return, and tell them exactly what you have available, and what you would like in return. You won't always get exactly what you want, but then again, it is a very good way to open negotiations;

• If via your scouting you become aware of a good prospect, talent or potential riser that for one reason or another you won't be bidding on, then feel free to share your knowledge with other Managers. It might not be a good idea to share this sort of information with direct rivals (i.e teams in the same division), but then again if you share the information with a Manager with whom you might be looking to do a deal in the future, then it just might help butter them up later!

redknapp_opt.jpg

Harry was best mates with the United Manager, but was always wary of practical jokes when shaking hands at the end of the game after the sqeaky bum incident....

LOAN SIGNINGS

A very important aspect of SM is the ability to make good loan signings to either improve the quality of your squad, or to add depth. As the end of the season approaches, especially when the cup competitions have been completed, have a look at the bigger club's squads, and see who they have loaned out. They could be your potential loan signings for next season.

It is also a very good idea to look how the bigger teams are progressing in the cup competitions. If they have just gone out of all the cups, and only have the League to worry about, then this is a very good time to approach them to see if they might want to loan some players out. Usually they will not be wanting to paying the wages of a massive squad when they only have league games to play, and I have quite often seen players rated 91 going out on loan!

When negotiating a loan with a Manager, if it helps clinch the deal, agree to not play the player against him, and that you will not over-use the player, and will do your best to keep him match-fit. This is because it is possible that the other Manager might need that player to be recalled at short notice if he suffers an injury crisis. The most important thing to remember when making such agreements is to stick to your word. Having respect for both the loan players and their Managers will increase the respect that they have for you, which will in turn improve your chances of landing the better loan signings.

A final loan tactic that can be used is when somebody is trying to buy a player from you. PM the Manager concerned, and find out what his plans for the player are. Is he likely to be a squad player or a first teamer? If he is going to be a squad player then negotiate that you will sell him on the condition that you can loan the player back until such time as he is going to be a regular first teamer (maybe after a ratings increase). Both clubs benefit in this scenario, and it is worth pointing this out to the other Manager.

HOW TO IDENTIFY THE BEST PLAYERS.

A little off-topic this, but something that I thought might be of use particularly to newer Managers. Many threads have covered this in some shape or form, but I thought I would pull it in with this thread as it seems to mesh nicely.

The single most common use of the forums, and possibly why you came here in the first place, was the abundance of scouting information. There are loads of threads on which you can find details on the latest talents, risers and “next big things”. I could list a few of the better ones here, but have a look around for yourself and use the “Search” tool.

The most satisfying way to identify those new additions to your team is to scout them for yourself. You can pick this information up from a wide variety of sources, and if you are kind enough to share your scouting with other forumers then you will soon have a thriving reputation here. Here are some links that will help you to scout players:-

Guardian Unlimited Football – great for stats on players for the current season.

http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardian/StatsCentre.asp

ESPN Soccernet – like the Guardian site, but with much more in depth news.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?cc=5739

Tribal Football – Great for Global football news.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/

GFDB.com – Claims to be the world’s largest football database.

http://www.gfdb.com/default.aspx

Sky Sports.com – Great for football news, especially in the EPL, plus it now has it’s own “scout” with in-depth scout reports.

www.skysports.com

Football Talents – a little basic, but has the foundations of a superb database of all the best talents in the world.

http://www.football-talents.co.uk/Home-1-2.html

There are, of course, many others, but that should be more than enough to get you started!

Hopefully, you have enjoyed reading my guide, and I hope that you find some of it of use. For further assistance here's another thread which gives excellent advice on being successful in the transfer market as well as within the game in general:

Check out "JC's Detailed Guide to Success in SM" :)

EDIT: Many thanks to those who have contributed to this guide, especially Shels!

Re: Hesse's guide to success in the transfer market.

Thats a nice Guide, Brings Up Many Points I Use Myself When Dealing With Managers.

Wether It Be Private Messages Before I Make A Bid or When I Make A Bid Etc Etc.

1 Tip You Could Add Is When You PM People Always Check You've Been In Contact With Them Before, Instead of Using The Contact Manager Button On Player Profile To Send A PM Use {Send Private Message} In That Managers Profile, This Way You Will Be Able To See Your Previous Contact With This Manager & Know What Your Dealing With.

Getting To Know Managers In Your Setup:

A Vital Part If Your Planing To Stay Ina Setup For The Long Haul Is To Get To Know The Other Managers Espcially The Big Clubs... You Can Do This Many Ways:

At Start of Setup, Contact All Top Managers/Clubs & Tell Them Who You Manage, Wish Them Good Luck. {Perhaps Arrange A Friendly}

When They Wins Things/Have Good Results, Did They Just Beat a Team 8-0, Did They Just Win The League/Cup Etc, Do They Manage United & Just Beat Liverpool, PM Them & Tell Them You Have Pool & That Your Glad He Beat Them {Bassicaly Waffle Your Way To Friendship}

Players Loans An Important Aspect of SM Is The Ability To Snatch Good Loan Players, Here Are Some Tips {Even My Barce Side Have Loaned In Players In The Past (Nani) }

If Coming Towards The End of Season, Go To The Top Clubs & See What Players Are Currently Out On Loan, This Way You Will Have A Better Indication Of Who You Could Snatch For Next Season.

When Making An Approach For A Loan Player Tell The Manager Your Aproaching What Setup It Is & What Team He Is Himself, Tell Him Your Team & Then Tell Him If You Play Him Next Season You Wont Play Them Players Against Him {Keep Ya Word Aswell} Also Tell Him You Will Not Overplay His Players & You'll Try Keep Them Fit.

Recently I Was Interested In Akinfeev For One of My teams, However Another Manager Bidded & I PM'd This Manager Explaining To Him That If I Allowd Him To Buy Akinfeev {Not Place Bid Myself} Could I Loan Him Until A Time Comes When Akinfeev Is 1st Choice, He Agreed & We Both Benefited. He's a Top Club & Im A Small Club, This Could get Me Other Loans Aswell As This Agreement.

In Many Setups I'm In I Benefit From been Active With Other Managers , & As I Respect Players I Have On Loan {Keep Them Fit/Don't Play Them Against Contracted Team Etc} Im More Likly To Attract The Best Loan Players Available.

Superb thread Hesse!

Ive been playing this game for over 2 years now and although this is mainly aimed at newcomers I took it upon myself to have a butchers anyway and I have to say it was very informative and will be useful to many people.

Also the presentation was good, theres nothing worse than reading endless blocks of text where the writer is waffling on. It was short, sweet and to the point!

Well Done.

Havn't got time to read it all but I will do.

Im not an arrogant person and I realise that even after nearly 3 years on the game I can still learn things!

THANKS!

p.s whereabouts in Kent you from?

Thanks for the kind words guys, it makes it all worthwhile!

I will try to update the thread soon with some of the points that have been made, especially those by Shels, which was an aspect I hadn't given much thought to to be honest.

In answer to Adonis' question I'm from sunny old Broadstairs.

Original post has now been updated to include Shel's comments (thanks mate), plus a few more thoughts of my own. I have added a few pics to break the text up; and I think that spelling and grammar is now all correct!

If anybody has any more contributuions to add I will be happy to hear what you have to think.

NOTE TO MODS: As this thread is mainly aimed at those new to the game, could we possibly get a Sticky on this so that it doesn't fade into obscurity? Thanks. :D

It's been stickied since yesterday :D

I'm quite a nitpicky mod when it comes to stickying and will be very selective with stickying any threads, but this deserved to be so and I obliged. A worthwhile and valuable aid for allcomers which will still be relevant some years down the line I would imagine :)

It's been stickied since yesterday :D

I'm quite a nitpicky mod when it comes to stickying and will be very selective with stickying any threads' date=' but this deserved to be so and I obliged. A worthwhile and valuable aid for allcomers which will still be relevant some years down the line I would imagine :)[/quote']

Thank you Doc for the kind words, I must admit I hadn't checked and it was a pleasant suprise to see it stickied as soon as I put that last post in. :o

Having read the main site I see that I will now have to change all references of "Setup" to "Gameworld". Never thought this would be so much work! Still I have enjoyed it all the same, and hope that many get the benefit of it, and also that some more of the experienced guys have an opportunity to chip in.

Also I sometimes do this-if there is a decent riser on the cards and I don't really need him I inform a random manager(usually one with decent players:D)about him so he can buy him......

Thanks Red. I will edit that in somewhere on the next update, which will hopefully be tomorrow...

Latest edit completed to include Reddevilfc's offering, and also to make cosmetic changes including altering all references of "set-up2 to "Game World".

Does anybody else have ideas that might be added to this guide?

What is the secret of selling players to teams outside of the setup world?

Other teams in my setup are doing it day by day, how they do it?

They do not answer PMs when i ask them how they do it.

Thank you guys

What is the secret of selling players to teams outside of the setup world?

Other teams in my setup are doing it day by day' date=' how they do it?

They do not answer PMs when i ask them how they do it.

Thank you guys[/quote']

just transfer-list the player you want to sell(without putting a minimum fee) and the clubs outside the setup will randomly bid for that player

i am sorry but it is completely impossible to TRANSFER LIST a player without putting a price for it. it is not allowed by the system. i have to put a transfer fee there. so what transfer fee to put?

i am sorry but it is completely impossible to TRANSFER LIST a player without putting a price for it. it is not allowed by the system. i have to put a transfer fee there. so what transfer fee to put?

Put £5k. :)

Good stuff Hesse!....love the avatar:)

Is there any way to overcome a chairman constantly saying NO to loan outs?

I have pm'd other managers to discuss loan deals and both parties are happy, but then the chairman doesn't allow it. (Even when transfer status is set to "loan list")

If a player is NOT currently playing due to form or better players, surely it is in everyones interest to get him a game.... the role of a chairman?!

Lalala i got nothing better to do

Well erm thanks for bumping my thread with spam ........I think:confused:

Good stuff Hesse!....love the avatar:)

Is there any way to overcome a chairman constantly saying NO to loan outs?

I have pm'd other managers to discuss loan deals and both parties are happy' date=' but then the chairman doesn't allow it. (Even when transfer status is set to "loan list")

If a player is NOT currently playing due to form or better players, surely it is in everyones interest to get him a game.... the role of a chairman?![/quote']

But back on topic, there is nothing that you can do as far as I am aware about Chairmen refusing loan deals. When a chairman considers whether to let you loan a player out they will look at the average rating of your squad and consider what quality of players you have in that position to cover in their absence. Obviously, a Chairman would not be doing his job if they let you loan out all your best players, and hence you will find that loan signings come under same sort of restrictions as regular transfers to prevent cheating.

One "bug" with the game is that you can place a player on the loan list that your Chairman will actually never let go out on loan. Maybe it would be an idea if someone sent a ticket to SM to resolve this, or posted it on the "Suggestions and Improvements" board?

Finally, to end, sorry for the delay in getting back to your post as I haven't looked at this thread in a while, although there are a couple of updates in the pipeline, so keep your eyes peeled! ;)

Original post has been updated today to reflect the changes to the Transfer Market made recently.

Part 2 of the guide coming soon - currently at the "Work in Progress" stage.

If you get the time guys, or are new to the game, and haven't seen this thread before, please take the time to read it.

Excellent read. I've only been here a week and I'm already dismayed at how many private messages concerning loans and general matters have been ignored :( Oh well, guess I'm expecting too much maybe. I love personal interaction within games like this, makes it much more satisfying to build relationships etc.