Should Ronaldo have been a 99 last season?

Re: Should Ronaldo have been a 99 last season?

If Ronaldo was capable of changing the game, why didn't United win against Arsenal just two weeks ago?

Honestly, even last year he played a few big matches well. Not all, not what you'd expect from a world class player tbh.

Before he can even be mentioned alongside Zidane and Ronaldinho he has to prove he can perform at the World Cups, European championships and needs to play well over a long period!

He's done none of these yet!

He is a fabulous talent, but it's too early to compare him with those two greats.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Should Ronaldo have been a 99 last season? No he shouldn't And they wouldn't struggle without Ronaldo, it's when Rooney is out or isn't on form that they struggle. Rooney is wayyyyy more import

Re: Should Ronaldo have been a 99 last season? SM were clever, they thought 'well he can score 40 odd goals a season, but do nothing against big teams so he doesn't deserve 99'. Easy.

Re: Should Ronaldo have been a 99 last season? I think another thing that people forget is that last season Ronaldo was playing as a forward. At the start of the season he played in the right midfiel

Ronaldo will never run the show as he is not a creative player in the same way as Zidane.

That isn't Ronaldo's game, not Messi's either. They both start from the wing where it is much more difficult to influence the 'style' of the team, whereas Zidane controlled things centrally, even though he would start from the left in some games. Same with Rooney, him and Scholes control the game for United from the centre of the pitch.

While I'm fairly new to SM (my first team just about to complete their first season).. I just have to weigh in on a few points.

I live in the states and we get maybe 5 premier league games a week and I watch primarily the big 4 but I'm a soccer fan so I try to keep up. I know most of you are English and your going to like your countrymen but to the guy who said Rooney is better or more important than Ronaldo is just wrong.

As for Ronaldo being 99.. I too agree with most everyone else in that he shouldnt be that high and for the same reasons.. has to do it more than one year. But while most people look at his stats last year and say "Well what about 05/06/07 seasons?" I bring up... the skills have ALWAYS been there... its just he just failed to put the icing on the cake punch in the goals. But it was never a matter of "if" but "when" and he is playing 99 lvl soccer now ratings aside.

As for the Zidane v Ronaldinho I can only say this. Me, a friend, and his dad were watching the France v Brazil World Cup game in 06. His dad HATES soccer but is an avid sports fan and recognized the magnitude of the game so was willing to watch. Zidane single handedly made him a soccer fan (if only for a day).. he was astonished that anyone could do that to a team as touted as Brazil. And you must remember he had no idea who Zidane was or anyone for that matter.

While i'm not saying Ronaldinho or Zidane is better than the other and that any other time or game the better player would have been reversed.. I will say this, I do believe Zidane's (Jason Kidd) game dictates the winning or loosing of the match more so than Ronaldinho (Allen Iverson) [btw good analogy previous poster :)]...

PSA...

I dont post often but when I do I have to make some mention of how I think the English players ratings overall are deeply inflated. I have absolutely no allegiances nor am I saying this to spark another topic/debate.. just a friendly heads up ;)

As for Ronaldo not turning up in the BIG (BIG!) games' date=' change the record mate. :)

You won't find too many players who can completely dominate and control games against the BIG (BIG!) teams. Did Messi "turn up" in either of the two semi against United? No, he didn't. Because United defended expertly, he couldn't do anything. Does that make his any less of a player?[/quote']

Apparently Messi was the best player over both legs and totaly out shone Ronaldo? I never watched the games but everyone said at the Nou camp Man Utd had a 11 man defense which had Rooney more or less playing at RB and Messi dominated both games with Ronaldo missing a pen under the pressure, and missed again in the final.

Scoring a goal is making an impact. I don't know what else you could call scoring a goal. As has been said' date=' he scored against all the other big three, as well opening up a cagey CL quarter final with Roma in Rome, and in the CL final. He tormented Zambrotta in the Camp Nou, and although he won won penalty, he could and should have seen Zambrotte red carded for his over physical, desperate attempts to stop him. Two other pens turned down. Thats making an impact, is it not? Not to mention 42 goals in a double winning season, thats definitely what i call making an impact. Its a whole season that matters, not just 6 or 7 games of your choosing a season.

[/quote']

Ronaldo is a world class player I have not said otherwise, were did I say he doesnt have an impact? I think you have kinda lost the plot on that :rolleyes: obviously he has an impact he rips teams to bits in the EPL and scores some stunning free kicks, hardly the point I was making at all :)

Of course scoring a goal means something BUT once again missing the point, when you watch Ronaldo against most other sides in the EPL he tears them to bits all the time not only scoring loads but creating loads with his speed and step overs, he DOES NOT have this impact against the massive teams, I never said he NEVER has 1 single great game against a good side AKA Zambrotta but in most big mathes Ronaldo doesnt have anywere near the impact he does Vs the smaller ones, Ronaldinho for example skills worked just the same regardless who he was against on a regular basis.

If it was just a Liverpool fan saying this then yeah you could put it down to obvious things but when Man Utd fans are saying their is obviously something behind it.

No impact in big games? Honestly' date=' some people. :rolleyes:

[/quote']

you made a good debate above but that comment.... yawn

Would he be a better player if he was less high impact in 32 games a season and just turned up for the 6 big games?

If we was comparing Ronaldo to most players that would be a valid point, but the best, best players of all time which Ronaldo is being compared to did it against any side be it the 6 big games or the other 32.

Comparing the impact Ronaldo has on a game (big game) to the ones the likes of Zidane did is laughable tbh, and considering I was comparing the impact Ronaldo has in big games to Zidane are you saying Zidane only turned up for the 6 big games? :rolleyes:

anyways to save us writing lengthly posts to each other for a few days because we obviously won't agree, lets just say I don't think he turns up reglary in the big games and you do and we wont change each others mind, sorted :)

Ronaldo will never run the show as he is not a creative player in the same way as Zidane.

That isn't Ronaldo's game' date=' not Messi's either. They both start from the wing where it is much more difficult to influence the 'style' of the team, whereas Zidane controlled things centrally, even though he would start from the left in some games. Same with Rooney, him and Scholes control the game for United from the centre of the pitch.[/quote']

I know what your saying but Ronaldo has a massive, massive impact against the lower EPL ones, he tears them to bits, scores, creates and causes damage non stop, consistanly in the massive games against the best defenders this doesnt happen.

Zidane, Ronaldinho had the same impact against the best players as the lower ones on a regular basis.

The biggest problem this thread has is the comparisons that are being made. So let me being the biased red I am try and break it up a little bit.

Does Ronaldo have an impact in the big games, yes he does without any shadow of a doubt he does. Is he as devestating against chelski as he is against a lesser prem side, of course he isnt he playing against better players, world class players so of course his impact will be less. That being said his presence is felt by those sides and in all honesty he looks a much better team player in those games as he tries to be less flashy in the bigger ones.

Now many of your justifications for Ronnie not having an impact is because your comparisons of him and ZZ. For me ZZ was one of the 2 greatest players I have ever seen and the best player ive seen live (even better than our own Eric the king). To suggest that Ronnie doesnt impact big games because he doesnt control games like ZZ is ludicrous, its such a weak arguement.

No Ronnie isnt as good as ZZ

No he doesnt control games like ZZ did

No he doesnt have the same impact ZZ did

but where in the above statements does it suggest because he doesnt have the kind of impact or control that one of the greatest players to grace a football pitch, that he doesnt still have a degree of impact or control....it doesnt.

Fact of the matter is Ronaldo has more knockers because hes a united player its a fact, this isnt the only forrum I frequent and its the same reaction where ever I go.

Fact Ronaldo does have an impact and turn up against the big boys. He scored 4 goals against the top 4 last season, thats turning up, thats having an impact.

Fact just because hes not yet up there with the likes of ZZ doesnt mean he plays badly in the big games

If Ronaldo was capable of changing the game' date=' why didn't United win against Arsenal just two weeks ago?[/b']

Honestly, even last year he played a few big matches well. Not all, not what you'd expect from a world class player tbh.

Before he can even be mentioned alongside Zidane and Ronaldinho he has to prove he can perform at the World Cups, European championships and needs to play well over a long period!

He's done none of these yet!

He is a fabulous talent, but it's too early to compare him with those two greats.

:D:D :rolleyes:

Honestly I laughed at that:rolleyes::D

Why didn't barca win every game when Ronaldinho was playing?:rolleyes:

The biggest problem this thread has is the comparisons that are being made. So let me being the biased red I am try and break it up a little bit.

Does Ronaldo have an impact in the big games' date=' yes he does without any shadow of a doubt he does. Is he as devestating against chelski as he is against a lesser prem side, of course he isnt he playing against better players, world class players so of course his impact will be less. That being said his presence is felt by those sides and in all honesty he looks a much better team player in those games as he tries to be less flashy in the bigger ones.

Now many of your justifications for Ronnie not having an impact is because your comparisons of him and ZZ. For me ZZ was one of the 2 greatest players I have ever seen and the best player ive seen live (even better than our own Eric the king). To suggest that Ronnie doesnt impact big games because he doesnt control games like ZZ is ludicrous, its such a weak arguement.

No Ronnie isnt as good as ZZ

No he doesnt control games like ZZ did

No he doesnt have the same impact ZZ did

but where in the above statements does it suggest because he doesnt have the kind of impact or control that one of the greatest players to grace a football pitch, that he doesnt still have a degree of impact or control....it doesnt.

Fact of the matter is Ronaldo has more knockers because hes a united player its a fact, this isnt the only forrum I frequent and its the same reaction where ever I go.

Fact Ronaldo does have an impact and turn up against the big boys. He scored 4 goals against the top 4 last season, thats turning up, thats having an impact.

Fact just because hes not yet up there with the likes of ZZ doesnt mean he plays badly in the big games[/quote']

Using ZZ was probably a bad example as like you mentioned he is one of the best of all time, although my comments about Ronaldo was mainly to people who think he already is one of the best of all time and thats why I said comparing him in the big games is laughable, not to mention Ronny has years ahead of him.

anyways.. I don't buy the whole people hate Ronaldo because he plays for Man Utd, if this was true why do people not say it about, becks, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Keane.

To eliminate the above I'm going to use another Man Utd player instead of Zidane to try and show my point about Ronaldo.

Ryan Giggs - now from what I remember of Giggs a few years back it did not matter what defense he was playing against, regardless of the full back he was attacking most games big or small he tore them to bits. He looked the same player with his ability no matter who he was up against, like all players he had off games but that wasnt just in the big games.

Ronaldo - he simply does not do what I just said Giggs does, for anyone who doesn't believe just look back at the big games, when has Ronaldo tore any big teams to bits like Giggs used to? When Man Utd are struggling and need someone to shine like Giggs used to what does Ronaldo do? hangs his head and starts moaning.

You cant really say because he scored 4 goals past 3 EPL sides hes a player for the big stage, When he scored past Liverpool (he barely did anything the whole game it was Rooney who tore us to bits) we was 2-0 down and down to 10men, a corner comes in reina flapped and left Ronaldo with an easy header (although Ronaldo is VERY good in the air), he scored 2 goals past Arsenal, lets be fair Arsenal are not known for defending just look at your 2's last match, they are a great side but they are very open and attack a lot, same with Barca.

Ronaldo always struggles against Ashley Cole because Cole is fast which takes out Ronys main asset. Would a younger Giggs struggle against Cole?

I'm not saying Ronaldo is a bad player, hes world class and the most dangerous player in the EPL, his record last season was amazing but when people are putting him as 1 of the best ever then he has to be compared against the best.

Using ZZ was probably a bad example as like you mentioned he is one of the best of all time' date=' although my comments about Ronaldo was mainly to people who think he already is one of the best of all time and thats why I said comparing him in the big games is laughable, not to mention Ronny has years ahead of him.

anyways.. I don't buy the whole people hate Ronaldo because he plays for Man Utd, if this was true why do people not say it about, becks, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Keane.

To eliminate the above I'm going to use another Man Utd player instead of Zidane to try and show my point about Ronaldo.

Ryan Giggs - now from what I remember of Giggs a few years back it did not matter what defense he was playing against, regardless of the full back he was attacking most games big or small he tore them to bits. He looked the same player with his ability no matter who he was up against, like all players he had off games but that wasnt just in the big games.

Ronaldo - he simply does not do what I just said Giggs does, for anyone who doesn't believe just look back at the big games, when has Ronaldo tore any big teams to bits like Giggs used to? When Man Utd are struggling and need someone to shine like Giggs used to what does Ronaldo do? hangs his head and starts moaning.

You cant really say because he scored 4 goals past 3 EPL sides hes a player for the big stage, When he scored past Liverpool (he barely did anything the whole game it was Rooney who tore us to bits) we was 2-0 down and down to 10men, a corner comes in reina flapped and left Ronaldo with an easy header (although Ronaldo is VERY good in the air), he scored 2 goals past Arsenal, lets be fair Arsenal are not known for defending just look at your 2's last match, they are a great side but they are very open and attack a lot, same with Barca.

Ronaldo always struggles against Ashley Cole because Cole is fast which takes out Ronys main asset. Would a younger Giggs struggle against Cole?

I'm not saying Ronaldo is a bad player, hes world class and the most dangerous player in the EPL, his record last season was amazing but when people are putting him as 1 of the best ever then he has to be compared against the best.[/quote']

Its a good post and again I agree with much of what uve said here. Id also like to say at this point my united haters coment wasnt aimed at you as ure posts in the main remain unbiased. That being said I wasnt here in the becks/keane days but from experience (and im old enough to have plenty :P) I find too many people willing to knock a player down purley because he plays for united than anything else. Much as it was for you guys back in the 80's (if u can remember that far back when you were good :D)

I do agree with what you say about Giggs that being said there were some FB's that giggs just didnt have good games against as well, some people regardless of how good they are just dont perform against certain players. Cole has ronnie in his back pocket yet zambrotta struggled, yet many would suggest zambrotta is better.

I also recall a fine evening where a Mr Keane had a certain ZZ in his back pocket. Where Keano took the game by the balls and dragged us through to the final this despite a second yellow meaning he would miss the final. yet I wouldnt even dare compare the 2.

Back to the main point, Ronnie isnt the finished article by any stretch. Was he the best in the woorld last season, Yes, by far. Does he go missing in big games, yes he has in the past but last season he didnt. He was a much more mature performances in the big games and having watched him at close quarters in many of them, where you can see all his movements and tracking. The runs he makes that drags players with him. Not just the occasions he runs past 3 or 4. Its a genuine beleif that last season he was did turn up and did influence the big games. Not in the way ZZ or even as i say keano did but that will improve as well....he is only 23.

Mate you need your head checked Ronaldo is far more important than Rooney and he is the best in the world.. Rooney out injured we have Berba and Tevez up front Ronaldo out injured wheres the playmaker...

What football do you watch...

Take last season in the league...

Rooney not playing:

Portsmouth - Draw

Man City - Lost

Spurs - Won

Blackburn - Won

Bolton - Lost

West Ham - Lost

Birmingham - Won

Man City - Lost

West Ham - Won

Won 4' date=' Drew 1, Lost 4[/i']

How many league games were lost last season? 5

And Ronaldo is not the best in the world, as simple as that...

Its a good post and again I agree with much of what uve said here. Id also like to say at this point my united haters coment wasnt aimed at you as ure posts in the main remain unbiased. That being said I wasnt here in the becks/keane days but from experience (and im old enough to have plenty :P) I find too many people willing to knock a player down purley because he plays for united than anything else. Much as it was for you guys back in the 80's (if u can remember that far back when you were good :D)

I do agree with what you say about Giggs that being said there were some FB's that giggs just didnt have good games against as well' date=' some people regardless of how good they are just dont perform against certain players. Cole has ronnie in his back pocket yet zambrotta struggled, yet many would suggest zambrotta is better.

I also recall a fine evening where a Mr Keane had a certain ZZ in his back pocket. Where Keano took the game by the balls and dragged us through to the final this despite a second yellow meaning he would miss the final. yet I wouldnt even dare compare the 2.

Back to the main point, Ronnie isnt the finished article by any stretch. Was he the best in the woorld last season, Yes, by far. Does he go missing in big games, yes he has in the past but last season he didnt. He was a much more mature performances in the big games and having watched him at close quarters in many of them, where you can see all his movements and tracking. The runs he makes that drags players with him. Not just the occasions he runs past 3 or 4. Its a genuine beleif that last season he was did turn up and did influence the big games. Not in the way ZZ or even as i say keano did but that will improve as well....he is only 23.[/quote']

well for the 1st time ever I cant really argue with that :D great post some very good points.

although what you trying to imply saying about "when" we were good :P

Take last season in the league...

Rooney not playing:

Portsmouth - Draw

Man City - Lost

Spurs - Won

Blackburn - Won

Bolton - Lost

West Ham - Lost

Birmingham - Won

Man City - Lost

West Ham - Won

Won 4' date=' Drew 1, Lost 4[/i']

How many league games were lost last season? 5

And Ronaldo is not the best in the world, as simple as that...

At the moment he is...

At the moment he is...

He is not the best player, he might be the most prolific goal scorer, but he plays in the F position basically.

The best player is really Messi, Messi can do everything Ronaldo can, and more. Messi would have a ton of goals if it wasn't for his unselfishness, and his desire to help the team over his own glory. Just one characteristic I'd like to point out is that Messi and Ronaldo's technical abilities are basically the same, Messi completely thrashes Ronaldo in the mental aspect. Better vision of the game, anticipation, team work. Ronaldo cries for fouls and disrespects his teammates on the pitch. Before being the best player in the world, one must be the best teammate, and Ronaldo is far from that. Zidane, Maradona, Platini, Zico, Cryuff, Di Stefano, all had the ability to destroy teams single handedly, but they made everyone around them look good as well, sharing the glory. That's the mark of the best player, a true legend.

I know what your saying but Ronaldo has a massive' date=' massive impact against the lower EPL ones, he tears them to bits, scores, creates and causes damage non stop, consistanly in the massive games against the best defenders this doesnt happen.

Zidane, Ronaldinho had the same impact against the best players as the lower ones on a regular basis.[/quote']

He doesnt really create anymore. In 2006/2007 he had 23 goals and 23 assists. In 2007/2008 he had 42 goals and 6 assists. He has become much more clinical, and seen as he is United's best finisher this is where he ends up with Rooney/Tevez/Scholes etc doing the creating.

I also disagree with the fact that the best players did it consistently against the better teams, I think some of you are looking at the older players through rose tinted specs. Also, defences have got so much better and the games between the top teams (especially in England) are much more low scoring and more about trying not to lose than trying to win.

He doesnt really create anymore. In 2006/2007 he had 23 goals and 23 assists. In 2007/2008 he had 42 goals and 6 assists. He has become much more clinical' date=' and seen as he is United's best finisher this is where he ends up with Rooney/Tevez/Scholes etc doing the creating.

I also disagree with the fact that the best players did it consistently against the better teams, I think some of you are looking at the older players through rose tinted specs. Also, defences have got so much better and the games between the top teams (especially in England) are much more low scoring and more about trying not to lose than trying to win.[/quote']

Rose tinted specs? I compared him to Giggs who might be older but still...

I have not said once Ronaldo isnt world class, but once again you are missing my whole point about Ronaldo, I'm not comparing how many goals he scores in big games, actually lol nvm I cba to go through it all again I will carry on looking through my specs and you look through yours, sorted :D

This -> http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=446989&postcount=60 probably sums it up best

Isn't it boring discussing the same old things again and again:rolleyes: I have lost count on how many times we have had this debate:rolleyes: And in the end the debates get no where

get your classes checked

your biased against Man united

You just hate Ronaldo

He just scores goals

he dives

Your a bloody jealous Liverpool fan:D

Dosen't play well in big games

some of the arguments used by everyone inc me.

Something new is required:D

Six months back I probably would have had 20 posts on this thread....

This is not from me, its an article from the net which kinda says the things I have been trying to..

Bernd Shuster said recently that the acquisition of Ronaldo would help his side push for a Champions League trophy next season. He obviously didn’t watch either of the two semi final games against Barcelona. Ronaldo was a non factor, with his only memorable moment being a missed penalty in Camp Nou.

Ronaldo is not a big game player in the way Lionel Messi is and, apart from his towering header in a good first half performance against Chelsea in the Champions League final, he has been posted in missing in the other important match ups. If Schuster was serious about tapping Manchester United for their magic of last season European triumph surely Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic or even Rio Ferdinand would be on the top of his list. But Europe might not be the only problem for Ronaldo.

Ronaldo, for all his wizardry and goals, often under performs when his team is backed up against a wall. If things aren’t going his way it shows immediately as he either spreads his arms in disbelief or shakes his head in disgust. Ronaldo has never been a player that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and haul his side back into contention. Traditionally, United players have been ‘geniuses soaked in sweat’.

Undoubtedly the genius is there in abundance but the sweat is missing as he sulkily walks back to position every time he loses possession - a point that could start to rub team mates the wrong way. In this regard, he is not a traditional United player and it seems, in many respects, that Ferguson has made a rare exception for Ronaldo’s super talent. Furthermore, for both United and Portugal he has been handed the captain’s armband but the question arises , how can he worry about the rest of the team as the captain when he is so worried about himself? Still, in his defence, based on goals, Ronaldo was leading everyone in the league by example all last season.

I guess with an opinion like that the dude who wrote it is either, biased, stupid, hates Ronaldo, or his specs on, or hates Man Utd :P

There cant be any other reason anybody has a varried opinion on Ronaldo of course :D

Isn't it boring discussing the same old things again and again:rolleyes: I have lost count on how many times we have had this debate:rolleyes: And in the end the debates get no where

get your classes checked

your biased against Man united

You just hate Ronaldo

He just scores goals

he dives

Your a bloody jealous Liverpool fan:D

Dosen't play well in big games

some of the arguments used by everyone inc me.

Something new is required:D

Six months back I probably would have had 20 posts on this thread....

yeah lol, don't know why I always get sucked in :D I need to do what you have done, learn my lesson and sit it out. Although in fairness I can't get my "classes" checked because I aint in any :P

This is not from me' date=' its an article from the net which kinda says the things I have been trying to..

I guess with an opinion like that the dude who wrote it is either, biased, stupid, hates Ronaldo, or his specs on, or hates Man Utd :P

There cant be any other reason anybody has a varried opinion on Ronaldo of course :D[/quote']

But tbh apart from the missed pen against Chelsea he had his best game against a top side for me. Some of his crosses were excellent and one thing he can which I haven't seen Messi do is he is a gr8 header of the ball.

And imo no player stood out in the cl semifinal. Yes he missed a penalty but in the first leg Man united were so defensive:eek: he didn't get the ball.

And Messi was completely controlled by Vidic and Rio. Yeah he made those occasional runs in but ferdy or vidic were always there

But tbh apart from the missed pen against Chelsea he had his best game against a top side for me.

aha! :D so in other "top" games......

nevermind lets leave it :P and yeah I don't hold missed pens against players everyone misses them.

Yeah Ronaldo is shockling good in the air

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres insists Manchester United and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo is “in a class of his own” when it comes to deciding the world’s best player.

The pair are both on the 23-man shortlist for the FIFA World Player of the Year award, along with five of Torres’ Euro 2008-winning team-mates and his Liverpool colleague Steven Gerrard.

However, Torres is in no doubt as to who should win the award.

“No-one can rival him,” he told France Football. “He is in a class of his own. I have never seen a comparable player.

“What he did last season is incredible. No-one won this year what he’s won: Champions League, Premier League and Golden Boot.

“For me he is the best player in the world. A machine. Incomparable.”

Ronaldo is hot favourite to succeed Kaka as European and World Footballer of the Year after the winger’s 42 goals helped fire United to European and domestic glory.

Although Torres admitted after speaking to close friend Alan Neller, he has a very valid point about Ronaldo going missing in the bigger games.

Torres stated - Well at first I thought he was just hated Man Utd but when I looked back at some of the big games I realised he had a point

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres insists Manchester United and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo is “in a class of his own” when it comes to deciding the world’s best player.

The pair are both on the 23-man shortlist for the FIFA World Player of the Year award' date=' along with five of Torres’ Euro 2008-winning team-mates and his Liverpool colleague Steven Gerrard.[/b']

However, Torres is in no doubt as to who should win the award.

“No-one can rival him,” he told France Football. “He is in a class of his own. I have never seen a comparable player.

“What he did last season is incredible. No-one won this year what he’s won: Champions League, Premier League and Golden Boot.

“For me he is the best player in the world. A machine. Incomparable.”

Ronaldo is hot favourite to succeed Kaka as European and World Footballer of the Year after the winger’s 42 goals helped fire United to European and domestic glory.

Torres only says this because he is an envious little brat. He can't understand why Spain voted 85% in favor of Casillas winning it, 10% in favor of Fabregas and 5% in favor of him. He thinks that if he can't win it, then no other spaniard should. Casillas IMO deserves it more than Ronaldo for he had an amazing past two years, and also has won the Liga twice and Euro. France football clearly stated that Casillas would never get the award, somewhat of a surprise, although the french do dislike the Spanish.