Attacking

Direct

Through the middle

Fast tempo

All over pressing

Counter attack

Using P/Maker

Using T/Man

but after a few games i kept losing all the time and since then ive been mixing my tactics and formation up and cant find any consistancy in my results.

Can anyone helps me with Tactics and formations please?:confused::confused:[/quote']

Just to tidy my squad up a bit.

Goalkeepers

VALDES, Victor GGk 91

LANDREAU, Mickaël GGk 90

ZIELER, Ron-Robert GGk 74

Defenders

EVRA, Patrice LBLB 93

MORETTI, Emiliano LB 91

SERGIO RAMOS, García RB/CB 94

RAFAEL, Pereira da Silva RB/RM 86

FERDINAND, Rio CBCB 96

BARZAGLI, Andrea CB 91

BONERA, Daniele CB-RB 90

SAKHO, Mamadou CB/LB 87

VERTONGHEN, Jan Def/DM 88

Midfielders

DE ROSSI, Daniele CM/DM 94

CARRICK, Michael CM/DM 92

ANDERSON, Luis CM/AM 91

DANNY, Miguel AM/Wing 90

RONALDO, Cristiano Wing/Fwd 98

PARK, Ji-Sung Wing/AM 90

BOGOMAZOV, Andriy WWing 76

Strikers

ROONEY, Wayne Fwd/AM 96

PODOLSKI, Lukas Fwd/Wing 91

HUNTELAAR, Klaas-Jan CF 92

ASHTON, Dean CF 87

Re: A Guide for Newcomers

Just to tidy my squad up a bit.

Goalkeepers

VALDES' date=' Victor GGk 91

LANDREAU, Mickaël GGk 90

ZIELER, Ron-Robert GGk 74

Defenders

EVRA, Patrice LBLB 93

MORETTI, Emiliano LB 91

SERGIO RAMOS, García RB/CB 94

RAFAEL, Pereira da Silva RB/RM 86

FERDINAND, Rio CBCB 96

BARZAGLI, Andrea CB 91

BONERA, Daniele CB-RB 90

SAKHO, Mamadou CB/LB 87

VERTONGHEN, Jan Def/DM 88

Midfielders

DE ROSSI, Daniele CM/DM 94

CARRICK, Michael CM/DM 92

ANDERSON, Luis CM/AM 91

DANNY, Miguel AM/Wing 90

RONALDO, Cristiano Wing/Fwd 98

PARK, Ji-Sung Wing/AM 90

BOGOMAZOV, Andriy WWing 76

Strikers

ROONEY, Wayne Fwd/AM 96

PODOLSKI, Lukas Fwd/Wing 91

HUNTELAAR, Klaas-Jan CF 92

ASHTON, Dean CF 87[/quote']

What are the players you used in your 4-3-2-1 and who's the playmaker. I assume the tarket is the striker. Can you put it up as a formation in this way:

gk

lb-cb-cb-rb

dm/cm-dm/cm-dm/cm

am-am

str

In fact, there's no inconsistency inside your tactics, but I just think it doesn't suite your squad at all.

Yeah, in fact, I can help you out already. You need to use a system with wingers (any wide attacking midfields or forwards). Ronaldo on either flank and as the playmaker. Use 2 strikers in order to get both Rooney and Hunty on field. Rooney as striker. Attack down both flanks or down the flank where Ronaldo is. Rest is up to you, but I'd keep on playing attacking tactics.

...sometimes I just think if I'm helping all my competition and thus making it whole lot harder to myself to succeed. ;)

What are the players you used in your 4-3-2-1 and who's the playmaker. I assume the tarket is the striker. Can you put it up as a formation in this way:

gk

lb-cb-cb-rb

dm/cm-dm/cm-dm/cm

am-am

str

In fact' date=' there's no inconsistency inside your tactics, but I just think it doesn't suite your squad at all.

Yeah, in fact, I can help you out already. You need to use a system with wingers (any wide attacking midfields or forwards). Ronaldo on either flank and as the playmaker. Use 2 strikers in order to get both Rooney and Hunty on field. Rooney as striker. Attack down both flanks or down the flank where Ronaldo is. Rest is up to you, but I'd keep on playing attacking tactics.

...sometimes I just think if I'm helping all my competition and thus making it whole lot harder to myself to succeed. ;)[/quote']

This is the squad i was using...

-------------------------Valdes----------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Ramos------Ferdinand------------Barzagli--------Evra

-------Ronaldo----------Carrick-------Anderson------

----------------Danny------------Rooney------------

-----------------------Hunterlaar--------------------

Playmaker Rooney

T,man Hunterlaar

Tnx for your help ill give it a go with 4-3-3 wingers.How about?

______________________Valdes_______________________

Ramos_____Ferdinand________________Barzagli______Evra

__________De Rossi____Anderson____Carrick____________

Ronaldo___________________________________Sun Ji park

______________________Rooney_______________________

Normal tackling

Attacking

Direct passing

Right flank

Fast tempo

All over pressing

Using

Counter attack

Ronaldo-Playmaker

Target man Rooney

What do ye reckon?????:confused:

T

Normal tackling

Attacking

Direct passing

Right flank

Fast tempo

All over pressing

Using

Counter attack

Ronaldo-Playmaker

Target man Rooney

What do ye reckon?????:confused:

Looks gud to me but i would switch de rossi to DM position, also try attacking down both flanks and tight marking

This is the squad i was using...

-------------------------Valdes----------------------

Ramos------Ferdinand------------Barzagli--------Evra

-------Ronaldo----------Carrick-------Anderson------

----------------Danny------------Rooney------------

-----------------------Hunterlaar--------------------

Playmaker Rooney

T' date='man Hunterlaar

Normal tackling

Attacking

Direct passing

Right flank

Fast tempo

All over pressing

Using

Counter attack

Ronaldo-Playmaker

Target man Rooney

What do ye reckon?????:confused:[/quote']

Tight marking and as the center midfield is the defensive one, don't put Anderson there. If you want to use Rossi in attacks, put Carrick in the middle and Anderson on the left side. That way you will still have Rossi where everything happens.

I think down right flank could be good as you have your best players there. If it doesn't work, switch to down both flanks with Ronaldo still as playmaker. Oh, make the full backs do runs, especially the ones who play the flank that you attack from.

Tight marking and as the center midfield is the defensive one' date=' don't put Anderson there. If you want to use Rossi in attacks, put Carrick in the middle and Anderson on the left side. That way you will still have Rossi where everything happens.

I think down right flank could be good as you have your best players there. If it doesn't work, switch to down both flanks with Ronaldo still as playmaker. Oh, make the full backs do runs, especially the ones who play the flank that you attack from.[/quote']

Thanks bud ill give it a try and let you know how i get on in my next game.

Still Cant win :D:rolleyes: Vulpes when your playing a team who as ratings under yours, I would slow the tempo down, so you get more time on the ball. Its less shots but a lot more on target and your possesion on the ball will greatly improve.B)

Got 3-2 Against a team who is bottom of the league and aint won a game in 5 matches :confused:

Portsmouth 3 v 0 Man Utd Im the away team

49% 51%

Total Shots

7 19

Shots On Target

3 11

Corners

6 6

Yellow Cards

1 1

Red Cards

0 0

:(

That's pretty sad. On the good side, you did dominate the game. I've sometimes had similar problems, dominating games but my keeper just letting everything in and thus losing a lot. Then it always has changed in time and with some adjustments. This might just be the way it is at the moment for your team, so that you just have to wait. Or you can try some changes. One thing I recommend you to do is check out the opponent always before the match and play against their weaknesses. Still, I must say, that when I've had those streaks, I'm sure it wasn't only the changes I made to my tactics that made me win again. I didn't change my tactics that much and it only came in time with new tactics.

I, myself, use tactics similar to yours with success in one team - this team especially used to lose a lot last season, so that I almost got relegated, now I fight for promotion to first division.

Re: A Guide for Newcomers (The Counter Attacking Style)

COUNTER ATTACKING: THE DEFENSIVE TACTIC

A counter attacking or defensive system is used in SM a fair amount of the time' date=' especially when managers are up against a much stronger squad than their own. One could also use the defensive system effectively against a team that they are equal to in terms of quality as well. However, making use of this style will rarely result in long-term league success as it usually results in low shots on goal tallies and a lot of drawn games.

On the other hand, organizing a defensive system is a lot easier than attempting to organize an attacking system. Your squad will not have many supplemental tasks; they only need to concern themselves with the most important basic task at the moment – preventing the opposition from scoring. Your squad will guide or encourage the opposition into making mistakes rather than trying to force errors. While this style will assuredly cut down the number of goals that the opposition side scores, when your team does win the ball they will have a much longer distance to go in order to reach the opponent’s penalty area and you likely won’t keep possession for very long. Therefore, you should be prepared to accept a lot of drawn games and/or 1-0 wins or losses if you use a defensive system for any extended stretches of time.

1. When choosing a [u']formation[/u] to play in the defensive style, it is best to use formations that place numbers at the back and/or assume a defensive posture.

In a four-back system, the best formations are: 4-4-2, 4-4-2 Diamond, 4-3-2-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-5-1 defensive, or 4-2-3-1.

When using a 5 back system, the best formations are 5-3-2, 5-3-2 Defensive, 5-3-2 with Sweeper, and the 5-4-1.

2. In terms of tackling style, it is always best to choose TIMID, SOFT, or NORMAL tackling when playing a defensive system.

TIMID or SOFT tackling ensures that your players will only challenge for the ball when they are sure that they have an excellent chance of winning it from the opponent. Your defenders are going to get beat from time to time, and more often than not they will get beat if they go in for tackles with reckless abandon. Therefore, HARD tackling is not an option in a defensive system.

NORMAL tackling can also be used with some degree of success when playing a defensive system. In this case your players will only go in for balls in which they feel that they have at least a 50% chance of taking it away from your opponent. There will not be the reckless slide tackles that rarely come up with the ball and only result in a yellow or straight red card.

3. Obviously if you are committed to playing a defensive system for the match, you are choosing a DEFENSIVE mentality for your team.

4. In choosing a passing style, there are two viable options available to you in a defensive system.

If you are attempting to play for the lone goal and a clean sheet for your keeper, then it is best to use LONG BALL. There will be a more in depth explanation of this style in a later post. However, needless to say, attempting long passes a majority of the time is there to be used so that both your defenders and keeper are looking to clear the ball out of your own end at every opportunity. This is a surefire way to relieve the pressure the opponent is placing upon you.

On the other hand, if you would prefer to keep possession of the ball when you do win it, SHORT passing is the best option. If your side can string together a high number of passes in succession, then that is less time that the opposition side has the ball. The opposition’s offensive rhythm will be disrupted and this helps to further limit the number of shots and scoring chances they can get.

5. An attacking style really has little effect when playing a defensive system, however I have found that using a MIXED or DOWN BOTH FLANKS approach is quite effective in scoring the lone goal.

In a defensive system the idea is to prevent the bad pass, poor control, or losing the ball in a tackle, which is 50% of the way to conceding goals. Therefore, MIXED attacking will enable your team to look for the best area on the pitch in order to begin an attack. When your side is careful with the ball and makes the most of their opportunities with a balanced attack, the opposition can’t score.

Choosing to attack DOWN BOTH FLANKS in a defensive system is also used to some degree of effectiveness, especially if you are using a five back system (5-3-2, etc.). Your outside backs will be playing in a high and wide position throughout the match, providing width against the opposition team’s back line. This will create space for your striker(s) and 1 vs. 1 opportunities for them as the outside players attempt to get crosses into the area.

6. When selecting a tempo or pace to play a match in the defensive style, you should always select to play in either a SLOW or NORMAL tempo.

The SLOW or NORMAL tempo distributes the responsibility of “taking care of the ball” among every player on your side. They will always be in control of what they are doing so as to prevent mistakes, which can result in scoring chances for the opposition side.

7. In choosing where to apply pressure to the opponent, it is always best to press ALL OVER the pitch in the defensive style. This will keep your opponent off of the ball in all areas. Moreover, if you have already chosen a SOFT or even TIMID tackling style, the least your side can do if they cannot win the ball is to control the situation by controlling the attacking side’s options.

8. In playing style, you also have a few essential options to consider when playing a defensive system. You should always play COUNTER ATTACK, MEN BEHIND BALL, and TIGHT MARKING. Never utilize a PLAY MAKER or TARGET MAN in the defensive style.

COUNTER ATTACK is used because your side is always on the defensive and your entire strategy is an attempt to strike back at the opposition when they are in weakened position, i.e. they are weak at the back because their defense was spread out to support the now defunct attack.

TIGHT MARKING is also a must in a defensive system because again, you are attempting to control the opposition side’s options. Moreover with timid or soft tackling, your defenders will be patient and restrained and more able to guide the opposition into committing turnovers.

MEN BEHIND BALL is utilized in a similar fashion because the attack will always be coming in front of them and within eyeshot. Your defenders will repeatedly force the attackers into the least dangerous space and use self-restraint in order to buy time so that the rest of your defense can reorganize itself.

Using a PLAY MAKER and TARGET MAN are not necessary in a defensive style because all of your players will be attempting to clear the ball from the danger area at all times. Moreover, when you are on the counter attack, your players will be constantly looking for players that are in open space. There will be relatively few defenders between your squad and the opposition’s goal; therefore the ball will be given to whoever is in the best position at the time of the counter.

Any experiences on using these tactics with mixed passing? Sound reasonable to me, because the players would hit the ball straight up should there be some space in opposing defense or should your midfield just lack options (be less skilled than opposition or badly positioned at the moment) but could also calm the play down if opposing defense would seem likely to take the long ball too easily, but I've never tried this... in fact, I use mixed passing very rarely, almost never.

This guide is great.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share this.

I do have a question though:

You put these tactics according to the other team's last fixture tactics.

The things is, the opponent may change the tactics for the next game which could jeopardise the whole tactics being put according to the oppoent's last fixture.

What do you think ?

This guide is great.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share this.

I do have a question though:

You put these tactics according to the other team's last fixture tactics.

The things is' date=' the opponent may change the tactics for the next game which could jeopardise the whole tactics being put according to the oppoent's last fixture.

What do you think ?[/quote']

This is true, but it's also like real life. You can only plan against what the other team are likely to play....based on previous matches. Unmanaged teams have started changing their formations which adds a bit of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone advise on what formation i should be playing.

firstly my midfield has davidsilva stephenireland maxirodriguez diegoribas danielederossi markomarin franckribery yoanngourcuff. im trying to fit as many of this players in but i cant seem to find the perfect formation to do so.

help would be much appreciated thanks.

Can anyone advise on what formation i should be playing.

firstly my midfield has davidsilva stephenireland maxirodriguez diegoribas danielederossi markomarin franckribery yoanngourcuff. im trying to fit as many of this players in but i cant seem to find the perfect formation to do so.

help would be much appreciated thanks.

3-2-2-2-1 formation;

*3 centre backs*

De Rossi _ _ (Another DM)

Maxi _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Ribery

Diego _ _ _ Silva

*1 forward*

If you can then try and bring in another DM or CM/DM. That's pretty much what I'd play if I had the midfielders you do. Use Ireland' date=' Gourcuff and Marin for cup matches.

That would be my prefered style, however, if you can't afford to bring in another DM or CM/DM then I'd suggest playing 3-4-2-1 formation;

[center'] *3 centre backs*

Maxi _ Ireland _ De Rossi _ Ribery

Diego _ _ Silva

*1 forward*[/center]

3-2-2-2-1 formation;

*3 centre backs*

De Rossi _ _ (Another DM)

Maxi _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Ribery

Diego _ _ _ Silva

*1 forward*

If you can then try and bring in another DM or CM/DM. That's pretty much what I'd play if I had the midfielders you do. Use Ireland' date=' Gourcuff and Marin for cup matches.

That would be my prefered style, however, if you can't afford to bring in another DM or CM/DM then I'd suggest playing 3-4-2-1 formation;

[center'] *3 centre backs*

Maxi _ Ireland _ De Rossi _ Ribery

Diego _ _ Silva

*1 forward*[/center]

The latter one preferably with wings (ribery & maxi) making runs forward. Great midfield. Try and use short passing and as much possession game as possible to make good use of that midfield. Especially short passing is good if midfield is your strong point.

I haven't since the new tactics system trusted in 3-2-2-2-1 because of surprisingly bad results especially against unmanaged teams.

The latter one preferably with wings (ribery & maxi) making runs forward. Great midfield. Try and use short passing and as much possession game as possible to make good use of that midfield. Especially short passing is good if midfield is your strong point.

I haven't since the new tactics system trusted in 3-2-2-2-1 because of surprisingly bad results especially against unmanaged teams.

thanks i shall try the 3-4-2-1 formation. I've tried the 3-2-2-2-1 before but im not sure if it is because its a rather unorthodox formation, i've been performing poorly against considerably weaker teams.

• 2 months later...

hey... i play for man u and i just had trouble playing against an unmanaged PSV? i know its very late but can u help me with my tactics

_____________________________Akinfeev_______________________________

____Albiol__________Terry_______________Ferdinand__________Cole/Navarro_

_____________________________Frings________________________________

__Ronaldo___________________________________________________Robinho_

_____________________________Fabregas______________________________

__________________________________________________________________Benzema/Van Persie________Rooney_________________

i use a 4-4-2 diamond, with ronaldo and robinho making runs down the wings...

Tackling : Hard/Normal

Passing Style : mixed

Tempo : Normal

Mentality: Normal

Attacking : Down Both Wings

Pressure: Own Half

i use men behind ball, counter attacks, playmaker (fabregas/ronaldo) and target man (rooney/Van Persie) and my captains Ferdinand.

any help to improve?

My friend this is probrably the best thing i have seen in my life (so far:p) and i am definately going to rep you but needf to clearify a series of things.

When should these tatcs be used:

THE ATTACKING STYLE

THE PLAYMAKING STYLE

THE POSSESSION STYLE

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody tried playing counter attack or long ball tactics with 5-back system using rm/lm players for the wide back positions? Does that work? Do the def players do the job in that position? I'm about to meet a significantly tougher team and lack a rb.

Has anybody tried playing counter attack or long ball tactics with 5-back system using rm/lm players for the wide back positions? Does that work? Do the def players do the job in that position? I'm about to meet a significantly tougher team and lack a rb.

Anybody?:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

I am managing Barcelona

Lost to 2 small clubs in Spanish League.

Beat Real Madrid in friendly but have huge problems with small clubs...

Can you please tell me how to face those defensive teams?

Bought Dzeko,

Exchanged ROnney with Henry; Milito with Bosingwa

Bought fletcher.

The rest is the same

PLZ?

• 2 weeks later...

Pls i need a winning formation i lost woefully against an unmanaged club and a very good squad with the likes of casillas,maicon,pepe,cannavaro,capdervilla,alonso,robben,seedorf,diarra,cassano,maggio,anderson,albeda,amuari,toni,ronaldinho pls i need help