A Guide for Newcomers

Re: A Guide for Newcomers

Pls i need a winning formation i lost woefully against an unmanaged club and a very good squad with the likes of casillas' date='maicon,pepe,cannavaro,capdervilla,alonso,robben,seedorf,diarra,cassano,maggio,anderson,albeda,amuari,toni,ronaldinho pls i need help[/quote']

Try 3-4-1-2 mate,

Casillas

Maicon Pepe Cannavaro

Robben Alonso Diarra Anderson

Seedorf

Amauri Ronaldinho

Tackling style: Hard

Passing style: Direct

Tempo: Fast

Mentality: Attacking

Attacking style: Through the middle

Pressing: All over

Tick counter-attack, make seedorf your playmaker, play offside trap and Target man Ronaldinho.

Good luck mate, let me know the final score:)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have noticed in the leagues that I am in that a lot of fairly new players seem to be dropping like flies after a few bad results once they sign on to manage a team. Many times this is because they g

Re: A Guide for Newcomers (Style of Play) CHOOSING A STYLE OF PLAY Before one can decide on what players should be on the pitch and what tasks those players should have, the good SM manager needs to

Re: A Guide for Newcomers (The Possession Game) THE POSSESSION STYLE Possession and getting shots are an important element of play in SM. Winning these elements will determine whether you win games

I actually have just ventured back into the forum today b/c like everyone else, I can't log into my account b/c the "new" and "improved" server is down. I was actually surprised that my original guide is still alive and well... :)

So, for everyone who is keeping the thread alive and was/is still posting questions, I wasn't trying to be ignorant in the fact that I was not answering your posts, I simply haven't ventured over here in a while. However, I see that some of the other managers have stepped up and are trying to help one other out and it seems like you've been in good hands! Because by no means do I think that I'm an "expert," I just started this thread to help new (and some old) managers out based upon my own personal experiences with SM.

One of the reasons that I haven't posted in a while is that since the "new" and "improved" match engine and tactics have come out (whether you want to follow that line of thinking or not), I've been experimenting a lot with the tactical systems in the original post to see if they still work. But, that is only one of the reasons why I haven't posted in a while. I also seem to be spending a lot more time working on my lineups as well as answering ridiculous transfer bids from unmanaged teams every day. And that's doesn't even take into account the hundreds of posts saying "(So and so) has played an international match for (so and so country). Click here to view the match report" messages.

SM is a free game and it is a business to its developers as well. While I am, and always have been, for improving SM, and I don't mean this in an offensive way, I think that the SM development team has gotten "too big for their own britches" as my friends from across the Atlantic pond would say.

The heart and soul of SM, however, has and always will be the free members, and I feel as if we've all been taken for granted. This isn't (or is it?) supposed to be a watered down version of the PC's Football Manager that everyone likes to spend money for. It seems like every improvement that has been introduced lately -- from the advanced match engine and tactics, to the international management (for Gold Members only), to even the latest innovation, "Improved Game World Economies," which is just a minor tweak of the original system -- SM is becoming just a reverse engineering of the Football Manager PC platform. In fact I've been finding more and more that FM tactics (which can readily be found all over the Internet at any number of FM blogging sites) can be used just as effectively on SM as they are on the FM.

Regardless, I still love SM and I have found that mostly everything in the original "Newcomers' Guide to SM" still works, albeit with a few minor tweaks and some new ideas that I'm going to start posting. One of the reasons that I've decided to start posting again is b/c I honestly do feel that SM has become even more complicated for newcomers (and even some experienced managers) of late.

I, myself, have found myself becoming frustrated, scratching my head and wondering how a player who has a "hat trick" can only receive a 5 rating in the match report. Or even why a world-class player like Franck Ribery, arguably one of the top 10 in the world, being played in his proper position on an AC Milan team with an average starting 11 rating of 93 can continually only muster perfomances of 3 or 4, the maximum being 6, for a whole season of 38+ matches. And on top of that, how can he only muster 5 goals and a measly 4 assists? Moreover, why is it that in a lot of the leagues I am still involved in (around the league number 3200+ range) are partcipation numbers dropping like the Down Jones Indutsrial average? In one league that I am in now, there are only 14 teams managed out of 80. That's a staggering feat, 17% participation! Needless to say, despite all the new improvements in club AI, there has been an even more rampant "star hogging" problem going on in most leagues, whch has made getting consistent results near impossible with only the richest clubs having any kind of sustained success. :confused:

So, just as SM itself has gone through it's various revisions over the past year since I originally posted the "Newcomers' Guide," I'm re-enaged and ready to help my fellow befuddled managers out, even though I don't claim to know all by any means. However, I will begin to post some things which I think that I have found to work more than they don't. However, there is one "unknown" that I know that I can properly predict. An unmanaged team is always going to come out against you in one of three formations. The unmanaged teams are only toggling between three basic formations (4-5-1; 4-3-3; and 4-4-2). :)

But there will be more to come later.....

Hey Speeg, nice to have you back here.

I'm waiting for your revised tactics.

In the meantime, what do you all think about this new Finance stuff ?

My season is finished, and apart from the season tickets income, I have no other resources !

No more money from the Chairman. How am I supposed to reinforce my team. I manage Nottingham Forrest and just won Div 3 with certain ease. Now in Div 2 I badly need reinforcements, but only recieved 1,6 million from ticket sales. How am I supposed to strengthen the squad ?

Hey Speeg' date=' nice to have you back here.

I'm waiting for your revised tactics.

In the meantime, what do you think about all this new finance stuff?

My season is finished, and apart from the season tickets income, I have no other resources!

No more money from the Chairman. How am I supposed to reinforce my team. I manage Nottingham Forrest and just won Div 3 with certain ease. Now in Div 2 I badly need reinforcements, but I only recieved 1,6 million from ticket sales. How am I supposed to strengthen the squad ?[/quote']

The new finances are terrible... The way that I understand it is that there is some complex formula that the new AI is supposed to periodically calculate with your teams total assets not being permitted to fall below 50% of the average of the clubs in your league. After that calculation is made, the "Chairman" will bring you in line with the other clubs with a cash injection.

However, the message that was posted announcing this doesn't specify how often this is going to take place! Is it every week, every month? I haven't the foggiest idea.

Actually, you bring up a good point b/c that was going to be the subject of my new post which I am getting around to posting called "Building Your Squad." Like a lot of new managers before me, (my manager points are up to around between 105 and 110 now) I used to make really bad transfer decisions purely based on ratings. I've found, especially with the most recent Franck Ribery debacle on my AC Milan team, that a players rating really has nothing to do with your team's overall performance. It's how you distribute the quality on your squad that counts and I have a couple things that I have found to work to get through having a small budget like you have right now.

A Guide for New Comers (v.2)

BUILDING YOUR SQUAD

Attempting to build the "perfect" squad is as old as SM itself. No matter what improvements that the SM developers claim to make in regard to "Improved Match Day," "Improved Club AI," "Improved Player AI," etc. they are not really inventing anything new. But, because of the rapid devlopment in these improvements and the resulting increased interest of the those who are playing SM, there is an increased pressure put on managers to help our teams perform at a higher level, or at least at as high of a level that we were accustomed to under the "old" SM.

One important factor to be considered within the "new" SM is the transfer decisions and policy of your team. All SM managers, for the most part, try to work on developing a tactical system that works against each and every opponent. However, many SM managers are not considering how the new match engine is affecting player performance in regard to their chosen formation of the day. Some questions that managers need to be asking themselves in the "new" SM are: How do I prepare my team for the upcoming match? Should I adjust to my opponent? What kind of influence is my chosen formation going to have on my team's performance?

Team building in SM should revolve around answering those questions and what I'm going to try to do here is present two systems of team construction that can help you out. With this "team building" system, regardless of player ratings, you should be able to play any formation or any style at anytime you as an SM manager choose. Basically you will be able to see how a whole team, or even just a line or group of players can defend, build-up and attack as a pretty cohesive unit which will inevitably lead to better results, despite the new match engine's many quirks.

When I first experimented with this, I was trying to take into consideration the continuous positioning of my squad in relation to one another, especially in regard to the new arrows that you can place in the formations. Also I was taking into account the resistance of the opponent and the potential developments in the match, i.e. now having the ability to make changes and substitutions at various stages of the match given a certain set of circumstances (losing after 45 minutes, winning after 75minutes, etc.).

One of the other things that I also considered was the budget that I would have available to me in order to carry out transfers given the new "Game World Economy." Sure, everyone would like to have Lionel MESSI, Christiano RONALDO, and Ricardo KAKA in their starting team, but that is simply unrealistic given the new game world economy, as well as the apparent unwillingness of certain managers to sell these players once that have obtained them. I mean I wouldn't sell them unless I was getting a hefty return, so why should they.

However, I think I have found a way around this, as well as a potential "cheat" to help small clubs with even smaller budgets compete on the same footing as the big boys who can boast having these world-class players on their squads.

TEAM BUILD #1 (FOR THE SMALLER BUDGET TEAM)

In this system you are attempting to distribute responsibility throughout your squad. I've used this system with many of my smaller budget teams over one or two seasons. With the new game world economy, you are NOT going to be able to complete this project all in one season, but patience is a virtue and you will definitely be able to complete this over two seasons (roughly 38 weeks) if you budget your money properly and are lucky enough to advance at least into the quarterfinals of both the cup and shield competitions. It is possible, however, to complete this when taking over a team if they have a hefty budget left over from the previous season, or a previous manager.

The other highlight of this system is that it is flexible enough so that you can fill out your roster with players that are rated as low as 82-84 in the database and really not suffer any ill-effects when you will no doubt have to use these players in a match. Moreover, you can gradually upgrade as the season(s) progress,. Finally, if you use the "cheat" that I will discuss later on, you could potentially be surprised and see that a player rated as low as 82 or 84 can perform at a level between 7 to 9 in the match report when he is, in fact, used in a match due to match fitness or injury.

GOALKEEPERS

Always carry 2 goalkepers on your squad. Simply put, this is because SM mandates that you have to carry 2 keepers at all times. In almost 2 years of playing SM, I have never seen a goalie get injured in a match. I have, however, had a goalie receive a red card and be suspended for three matches. Regardles, the rules say you have to have to carry 2 keepers, so carry 2.

BACKLINE

The defense is the heart of your squad and no matter what players are attacking you, you still must have a strong defense. If you are going to spend money, spend it on your defense. Even with smaller budget teams, make sure that your defenders are the highest rated players on your squad, somewhere in the range of 86 - 89. Also, when I discuss my potential "cheat" in the next post, you'll find a way to construct your backline in such a manner that these three or four players, even if they are rated as low as 86, can play at a level on par with defenders rated at 89 - 90 game in and game out.

There are a few options for how to construct your backline.

Left Side and Right Side

Your left and right defenders should be the same, given three options. What am I talking about? Your flanking defenders should consist of players listed as either:

1 LB/LM & 1 RB/RM or

1 RB/CB & 1 LB/CB or

1 RB/LB & 1 LB/RB

Obviously use the LB/LM & RB/RM if you want to push your flank defenders up a lot in attacking formations such as 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2, etc. to play them as wing-bac ks. If you play 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2, etc. push them backwards. If you don't push up your defenders at all use a 5-3-2, 5-3-2 w/ sweeper, etc.

If you play straight up defense, by all means use the other two combinations.

Reagrdless of what you choose, NEVER mix and match these, i.e. if you have a RB/CB, always partner him with a LB/CB, unless you absolutely have to switch up due to injury. I have experimented with mixing and matching, and 7 out of 10 times one flank defender will have a rating of 6 or 7in the match report and the other will have 5 or less.

Central defense

There are two options when choosing players to anchor your defensive bloc in the center. Again, just like the defenders on the flanks it is NOT recommended that you mix and match these.

3 CB or

1 CB/RB, 1 CB/LB & 1 CB (or 1 CB/DM)

If you choose to construct the center of your backline with 3 traditional CB's, it is recommended that you purchase one CB that is right-footed, one CB that is left-footed, and one CB that is both-footed. Also, within the formation be sure to play them on the that side of the defense with which they are most comfortable.

When choosing the second option, 9 times out of 10 a CB/RB will be right-footed and a CB/LB will be left-footed, so it's not necessary to pay attention to the dominant foot of the player. We are focusing on placing players where they will best perform, after all. In this option, if you choose simply to purchase a CB instead of a CB/DM, then by all means try and obtain a player that is both-footed because he can be slotted into either position when he is needed.

In the next post, which might be a little lengthy I will discuss how to go about constructing your midfield, which is the engine that drives your team, especially in the build-up and the attack.

More to come...

I'm happy to see you're back with this. This thread was great help to me when I first started playing SM. However, I doubt something about your way to build squad. You see, I nevermind the second positions and it works out fine. Sure, the players often get bad notes but that seems to matter not at all. I've got same notes after a 4-1 victory than after a 4-1 loss (seriously, this season). The sub players get almost always 9 or 10, no matter how late they come on field and how they play (of course, we know very little of that). Keeper who concedes 4 out of 4 shots gets a 9 and another one who holds empty net facing 12 shots gets 5. No influence. My conclusion was that the notes have little or nothing to do with how your team plays.

I have to note one exception: forwards scoring often also get high average notes. This is the only logical thing happening with the notes in my opinion. Anyway, I'll follow how you go on with your help this time, you seem to experiment these things quite well and probably have some point in it.

BACKLINE

The defense is the heart of your squad and no matter what players are attacking you' date=' you still must have a strong defense. If you are going to spend money, spend it on your defense. [b']Even with smaller budget teams, make sure that your defenders are the highest rated players on your squad, somewhere in the range of 86 - 89[/b]. Also, when I discuss my potential "cheat" in the next post, you'll find a way to construct your backline in such a manner that these three or four players, even if they are rated as low as 86, can play at a level on par with defenders rated at 89 - 90 game in and game out.

Left Side and Right Side

Your left and right defenders should be the same, given three options. What am I talking about? Your flanking defenders should consist of players listed as either:

1 LB/LM & 1 RB/RM or

1 RB/CB & 1 LB/CB or

1 RB/LB & 1 LB/RB

Obviously use the LB/LM & RB/RM if you want to push your flank defenders up a lot in attacking formations such as 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2, etc. to play them as wing-bac ks. If you play 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2, etc. push them backwards. If you don't push up your defenders at all use a 5-3-2, 5-3-2 w/ sweeper, etc.

Reagrdless of what you choose, NEVER mix and match these, i.e. if you have a RB/CB, always partner him with a LB/CB, unless you absolutely have to switch up due to injury. I have experimented with mixing and matching, and 7 out of 10 times one flank defender will have a rating of 6 or 7in the match report and the other will have 5 or less.

I'm growingly interested in your idea... would you then say that a plain LB or a plain RB would do with any other type of RB or LB, or would you pair him with equivalent plain full back?

I still don't really think the second position affects how the player plays his first position... rather the second position just gives him flexibility. Anyway, as I said, this thought has started to interest me and I'm gonna give it a chance.

How do you play 'def' -players in defense? as anything, with anything? Westerman is quality def/DM, how do you pair him?

Also, if you have 4 back line and you have one CB, can you pair him with either CB/LB or CB/RB?

Nothing for a while...? I hope my critique didn't bring speegs down, because it was not meant to be understood that way. I think this is awesome thread and has helped at least me at the beginning (and I've recommended this to some who have asked me for tactical help) and I'm waiting for speegs' latest research results. I would definitely like to hear the rest of the theory of harmoniwed player second positions, because I myself have had bit of hard time turning a great squad to won titles (and meanwhile I've found it easier to succeed with some lesser clubs) and I also think the tactics and player performances have become very strange.

BACKLINE

The defense is the heart of your squad and no matter what players are attacking you' date=' you still must have a strong defense. If you are going to spend money, spend it on your defense. [b']Even with smaller budget teams, make sure that your defenders are the highest rated players on your squad, somewhere in the range of 86 - 89[/b]. Also, when I discuss my potential "cheat" in the next post, you'll find a way to construct your backline in such a manner that these three or four players, even if they are rated as low as 86, can play at a level on par with defenders rated at 89 - 90 game in and game out.

Left Side and Right Side

1 LB/LM & 1 RB/RM or

1 RB/CB & 1 LB/CB or

1 RB/LB & 1 LB/RB

Central defense

There are two options when choosing players to anchor your defensive bloc in the center. Again, just like the defenders on the flanks it is NOT recommended that you mix and match these.

3 CB or

1 CB/RB, 1 CB/LB & 1 CB (or 1 CB/DM)

If you choose to construct the center of your backline with 3 traditional CB's, it is recommended that you purchase one CB that is right-footed, one CB that is left-footed, and one CB that is both-footed. Also, within the formation be sure to play them on the that side of the defense with which they are most comfortable.

When choosing the second option, 9 times out of 10 a CB/RB will be right-footed and a CB/LB will be left-footed, so it's not necessary to pay attention to the dominant foot of the player. We are focusing on placing players where they will best perform, after all. In this option, if you choose simply to purchase a CB instead of a CB/DM, then by all means try and obtain a player that is both-footed because he can be slotted into either position when he is needed.

In the next post, which might be a little lengthy I will discuss how to go about constructing your midfield, which is the engine that drives your team, especially in the build-up and the attack.

More to come...

One more question about this: how do you use def -players, like Trasch, Howedes and Westerman. I have often bought them, because they should be able to play any defensive position and are valuable players, but according to your view, should I make a conclusion that they're pretty much practically useless?

One more question about this: how do you use def -players' date=' like Trasch, Howedes and Westerman. I have often bought them, because they should be able to play any defensive position and are valuable players, but according to your view, should I make a conclusion that they're pretty much practically useless?[/quote']

Overall this is an excellent guide for newcomers and I wish I had it when I started :)

However, I am going to have to disagree with the paragraph re:the use of specific defenders in 3 at the back formations. My experiences have shown that using 3 CBs is the most stable way to apply a 3 man defensive line. But contrary to Speegs views, I'd suggest that a CB-CB-RB/LB combimation is more stable than the LB/CB/RB formation. I tend to avoid this. I avoid even more the use of RB/RM or LB/LM when playing 3 men at the back and using this type of player has invariably lead to me leaking goals.

So I feel there is no need to match/mirror-image the defenders by using RB/CB and LB/CB or RB and LB or even RB/RM and LB/LM. The mix and matxch is often better from my results. As for Ds - they are the most valuable commodoties in my experience as they can play anywhere along the backline to good effect in my experience and this is most valuable in a 3 at the back formation :)

Overall this is an excellent guide for newcomers and I wish I had it when I started :)

However' date=' I am going to have to disagree with the paragraph re:the use of specific defenders in 3 at the back formations. My experiences have shown that using 3 CBs is the most stable way to apply a 3 man defensive line. But contrary to Speegs views, I'd suggest that a CB-CB-RB/LB combimation is more stable than the LB/CB/RB formation. I tend to avoid this. I avoid even more the use of RB/RM or LB/LM when playing 3 men at the back and using this type of player has invariably lead to me leaking goals.

So I feel there is no need to match/mirror-image the defenders by using RB/CB and LB/CB or RB and LB or even RB/RM and LB/LM. The mix and matxch is often better from my results. As for Ds - they are the most valuable commodoties in my experience as they can play anywhere along the backline to good effect in my experience and this is most valuable in a 3 at the back formation :)[/quote']

Hmm. My experience on defs is indeed very bad. They get average ratings lower than 6 in all my teams and I have some of these three mentionned Germans in almost every team. Considering selling all of them, only trouble being that I like Westermann more than apple pie (well, that was exaggerating, I don't like him more than apple pie, that would be just crazy).

About 3 back system, I think he suggested playing CB/RB-CB-CB/LB as best choice and I'm going to try that. One of my best working tactics has been 5 back system with a sweeper and the def guy has been the sweeper usually and I have even used Bastos (wing/lb) as a lb in that system (works well). Only if I could find a wing/rb. I also have used RB-CB-LB 3 back combination with success.One thing to note is that the matching pairs strategy of course presupposes that you're using a symmetric tactic, which isn't always the best option.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: A Guide for Newcomers (The Attacking Posture)

THE ATTACKING STYLE

The attacking system requires your squad to get the ball' date=' maintain possession of it when you have it, and get high quality (not a high quantity) of scoring chances on the opposition side. The basic task that you assign your squad in the attacking style is to threaten the back of the opposition side’s defense and to score goals.

The attacking style, however, does not apply when your opponent has the ball. Your squad must always be mindful of countering what your opponent has to offer. Nevertheless, if you extend the attacking tactic throughout your whole squad, you will easily see an increase in the number of goals that your squad scores, but it may or may not pay off in terms of favorable results in the long run unless you utilize this tactic in the proper way and in the right situation(s).

1. In terms of a [u']formation[/u], basically any formation that places 3 or 4 players at the back can be applied to an attacking style.

One should not use a formation that places 5 players at the back in an attacking posture, except in one instance. That is, when you are prepared to use offensive players in the 2 widest positions along the back line. In this case, and in this case only, you will be providing width in your attack, stretching your opponent’s defense to account for the additional firepower in your side.

2. When choosing a tackling style, it is always best to opt for HARD tackling in the attacking style. This is to provide for all of your players aiming to win the ball from your opponent. Just as a great offense will beat a good defense, it can also be argued with merit that a quality defense is the best offense because you are effectively limiting the creative instincts of the opposition side.

3. Obviously, when choosing your side’s mentality, you should use the ATTACKING mentality.

4. In selecting a passing style, it is best to choose either DIRECT or SHORT passing.

If your side has excellent strikers who finish well (rated 89 or above), then DIRECT passing is the best option. This will ensure that your striker or strikers receive the ball as quickly as possible from either the midfield or defensive players once it has been taken from the opposition.

On the other hand, if you have a strong midfield and defense, SHORT passing is more suitable. This ensures that the players who are supporting the attack will make crisp, accurate passes to one another over short distances as they seek to get the ball to the striker(s) in the opposition’s half.

5. When selecting the attacking style, it is best to tailor your attack to the strength of your squad and/or to the weakness of your opponent. If your squad is stronger than your opponent in the midfield (particularly your DM, CM, or AM) then THROUGH THE MIDDLE will provide the most favorable results.

On the other hand, if your outside players (Wing, RM, LM, RB, LB) are your strongest suit when compared to the opposition, then choosing DOWN BOTH FLANKS is extremely viable.

Finally, if your squad and your opponent’s squad are roughly equal on the flanks and in the midfield, then by all means select a MIXED attacking style. This will provide for an attack that is generated according to the situation that arises in the match engine.

6. In terms of tempo or pace, when using the attacking style you can choose either a SLOW or FAST tempo with slightly different results.

If you are interested in achieving the lion’s share of scoring chances as compared to your opponent, then without question a FAST tempo is best in the attacking style. However, this will result in a greater number (quantity) of shots "that go begging" for your squad, and not nearly as many shots on target – and there is a difference.

On the other hand, choosing a SLOW tempo will not generate as many shots as your opponent, but your number of shots on target will be significantly higher. Choosing a slow tempo will still enable your squad to attack at every opportunity, but it will generate a higher number of quality scoring chances that allow your striker(s) to really test the opposition’s keeper because of the patient build up.

7. In choosing where to pressure your opponent, always select ALL OVER when using the attacking style. This is an aggressive, force-the-error approach. In choosing to pressure your opponent on every area of the pitch, your squad will constantly be seeking to generate offense from their defense. This also does not allow the opposition to control the ball for any great length of time and greatly diminishes the number of sustained build ups they can muster.

8. In selecting your team style, in the attacking posture you should always choose to COUNTER ATTACK, utilize TIGHT MARKING and PLAY MAKER at a minimum.

COUNTER ATTACK ensures that your team will always be attack-minded, even when they are on the defensive. The moment that your squad regains possession of the ball, it is seen as a golden opportunity to go on the attack. Your opponent’s defenders may be too disorganized to stop a quick strike by your offense as the back line may be spread out after supporting what they thought would be a scoring opportunity.

TIGHT MARKING goes hand-in-hand with pressing all over the pitch, as well as hard tackling. You cannot have the other two without this one. With tight marking, your players will immediately attempt to tackle the ball away from the opponents. It also ensures that your players attempt to get to the ball before the opposing attackers, essentially turning the tables and switching roles with them.

All teams that choose to play the attacking style as described here must designate a PLAYMAKER. However, the good manager has to be sure that his/her attacking style corresponds with who you designate as your playmaker on the pitch. For example, if you choose to play this style and select DOWN LEFT FLANK for your attacking style, either your left back, left midfielder, or left winger must be your designated playmaker so that they can be relied upon to get a good cross into your striker(s) from the left flank. Similarly, if you would like to designate a CM or AM to be your playmaker, then you should have selected THROUGH THE MIDDLE as your attacking style.

Making use of a TARGET MAN is optional in the attacking style. If you are playing a formation that has 2 or more forwards (F or CF) then do not designate one of them to be your target man. However, if you are playing with 2 or more forwards and one is rated significantly higher than the others (by 2 points or more), then by all means you should be designating the strongest forward as your target man.

Thought i'd bump this as i was going through a tricky patch and used these tactics in a cup match last night against a side who recently beat me in the league. Played 433 wingers using these tactics and won 3-0.

I don't suppose there's anyone in here who would be happy making sure Arsenal don't make it into division 1 this Sunday?

There is?

Good-O.

I'm managing little Ol' Monaco in a fairly competitive game world and we're in the play-off finals for division 1; I just need to kill a giant to get there.

this particular Arsenal side looked like this in their play-off semi final (they beat a good Lazio team 2-0):

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62099_dirtyarsenal.jpg

Based on the tactics I've read in this very helpful thread I am going with the following the starting XI, and these in-game instructions:

Starting XI:

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62096_startingXI.jpg

In-game 1:

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62097_ingame1.jpg

In-game 2:

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62098_ingame2.jpg

As you can see I'm opting for the defensive 'long-ball' tactic from the outset, hoping that any of my 3 forwards will pick up a decent ball and score.

If that hasn't worked by the 60th minute, I've set it to counter-attack, just to try something else, yet remaining defensive-minded.

If that hasn't worked by the 75th minute, I'm going to chuck an extra player up front (4 fwds in total).. all-or-nothing/no regrets.

My worry is that I'm being too defensive/cautious from the outset.. or that these in-game changes might end up being to drastic/reckless.

I would appreciate any feedback.. and remember, if it leads to an Arsenal loss, well, we will all be winners..

big thanks for to speegs619 for the well-written, logical approach to tactics.

I don't suppose there's anyone in here who would be happy making sure Arsenal don't make it into division 1 this Sunday?

There is?

Good-O.

I'm managing little Ol' Monaco in a fairly competitive game world and we're in the play-off finals for division 1; I just need to kill a giant to get there.

this particular Arsenal side looked like this in their play-off semi final (they beat a good Lazio team 2-0):

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62099_dirtyarsenal.jpg

Based on the tactics I've read in this very helpful thread I am going with the following the starting XI' date=' and these in-game instructions:

Starting XI:

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62096_startingXI.jpg

In-game 1:

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62097_ingame1.jpg

In-game 2:

http://www.imagefrog.net/out.php/i62098_ingame2.jpg

As you can see I'm opting for the defensive 'long-ball' tactic from the outset, hoping that any of my 3 forwards will pick up a decent ball and score.

If that hasn't worked by the 60th minute, I've set it to counter-attack, just to try something else, yet remaining defensive-minded.

If that hasn't worked by the 75th minute, I'm going to chuck an extra player up front (4 fwds in total).. all-or-nothing/no regrets.

My worry is that I'm being too defensive/cautious from the outset.. or that these in-game changes might end up being to drastic/reckless.

I would appreciate any feedback.. and remember, if it leads to an Arsenal loss, well, we will all be winners..

big thanks for to speegs619 for the well-written, logical approach to tactics.

for anyone interested in the results of these tactics: I won 2-1 :D

can't analyse what worked as i didn't get a match report.. stats for play-off final seem to get wiped when the next season starts..(!)

Well done good luck for your next season...

thanks man.

on closer inspection of player condition etc.. looks as though in-game instructions were not needed. 4-3-3 long ball (slow, defensive, mixed) seemed to do it for a team that has an average rating a bit better than you. i can test this theory a lot in this division.. real madrid.. man united.. etc.

I don't know how much to trust what is available on the match report (looks quite glitchy) but these are the stats it's showing:

44% to 56% possession in favour of arsenal

5 to 20 shots in favour of arsenal

2 to 8 shots on target in favour of arsenal

7 to 8 corners in favour of arsenal

no cards, either team.

I may have got lucky.

thanks man.

on closer inspection of player condition etc.. looks as though in-game instructions were not needed. 4-3-3 long ball (slow' date=' defensive, mixed) seemed to do it for a team that has an average rating a bit better than you. i can test this theory a lot in this division.. real madrid.. man united.. etc.

I don't know how much to trust what is available on the match report (looks quite glitchy) but these are the stats it's showing:

44% to 56% possession in favour of arsenal

5 to 20 shots in favour of arsenal

2 to 8 shots on target in favour of arsenal

7 to 8 corners in favour of arsenal

no cards, either team.

I may have got lucky.[/quote']

To me it really seems like you did. Thanks for giving that full report.

ive noticed i often lose a match if a player gets injured

obviously this because if it happens early he stays on for the game and gets a very low rating, having an effect on the rest of the team.

is there anyway i can put into my tactics a setting like if a player gets injured sub him off?

seems t b an obvious solution ?

• 1 month later...

Hey all.. just got reading this topic, and found it rly interesting and useful. As i was trying to get result on my own, I often wasnt succesfull, but sometimes was (etc finished 10th in 1st Div and won a World Champ Cup with Zenit, but staying in relegate zone with Lyon). Thanks for your great job!) Hope it will help far more players and I am not an exception)