Is Ronaldo over rated??

ukfootballfan101

Ronaldo has been in great form for Man Utd for the past 18 months or so, he's scored a hell of a lot of goals and helped Utd to a premiership and champions league double last season, but is he over rated on SM??

For me their is still a big question mark against how good Ronaldo actually is, as he rarely if ever puts in a good performance in the important games.

IMO to be a truely world class player you have to perform at the highest level week in week out over at least two seasons, but you also have to put in great performances in the biggest games of the season, as a "big four" premiership player I view Ronaldos "big games" as:-

1. Home & away games against the other "big four" (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal). 6 Games

2. Champions League, quarter finals onwards. 5 games.

3. Domestic finals (FA cup, Carling cup). 2 games

4. International tournaments. (Euro's & world cup).

Take last season, what did he do in the champions league final? He scored a header and missed a penalty, and not much else. He went missing for the 2 semi final games to.

And when was the last time he dominated a game against a premiership big four team? I don't think he ever has.

What did he do in the euro's for Portugal? Nothing.

Should he be named world player of the year? Yes, I don't think anyone has performed as well as him over the past 12 months.

BUT is he world class? I don't think he is yet, but I think he has the potential to be.

Was he as good as Ronaldinho was a few years ago? IMO he's not in the same league.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Is Ronaldo over rated??

Even as a Liverpool fan, I have to say (begrudgingly :D ), that he is world class. I agree it's a fair point you make about his performance in bigger games, but he has plenty of time left in his career to rectify that. To score 40 goals in a season is phenomenal in any league. Perhaps he is now suffering by comparison because he has set the standard so high from his performances of last season. But the season is still young and I have little doubts he will once more be there or thereabouts in the goalscoring charts at the end of the season and the best is yet to come from him this season (I fear :( ).

What you dont understand is that in games when Ronaldo doesnt play well it usually means he has 2 ppl on him which makes is easier for the rest of the team. Offcourse even he can have bad days but just remember Portugal vs Poland when polish players did everything they could to break his leg :) Some of them even stated so before the game ( probably to scare him off the pitch ) to the great deal of pleasure to Liverpool fans :)

I do like Liverpool more then United but Ronaldo is a class of his own...

I dont thinnk Ronaldo is over rated, his record speaks for itself.

I do think he under performs in a few of the big matches stats prove this, and i do mean performances not goals. BUT he tears the EPL to bits and opens up all the sides with his runs, pace , free kicks and heading ability.

I only have 2 faults with him:

1: He definatly slightly under peforms consistantly vs big sides obviously not because he isnt good enough because he clearly is, im not sure why tbh.

2: His attitude is one of the worst you can get and this is the main reason most people don't like him. When things are not going his way he throws a fit, starts waving his arms all over, falling to the floor and moaning.

Man Utd fans say the reason people don't like Ronaldo is because they are jelous (although anytime you make a comment about Man Utd thats what you get :rolleyes: ) but everyone I speak to dislikes him because of his attutude it is really appauling and in the Summer 90% of Man Utd fans were saying the same.

Did anyone see the comparison on Sky the other day between Messi and Ronaldo? if so you will see what I mean about attitude, although ability wise Ronaldo is up there with him.

The important quality Ronaldo has which makes him world class is his CONSISTENCY throughout the season. Yes, he might disappear in some big games, but if he go on and score loads against each of the lesser teams in the premiership, Man Utd will still lift the title.

For god sake, talk about trying to pick holes.

The guy is awesome. Every player has flaws. Henry never showed up when the going got tough, apparently Messi is not so great for Argentina at the moment, etc, etc.

He scored 42 goals for the wing last season. Top scorer in the PL, top scorer in the CL.

How anyone can doubt his talents is beyond me.

I agree his attitude is not great, but then you look at the amount of fouls he receives.

If Ronaldo isn't world-class there are no world-class players in the Premiership.

Very good point' date=' is he the best player in the premiership over the past 18 months? I think so, but I think Gerrard is more of a big game player, infact I think Man Utd have a handful of players who perform better in big games.

The important quality Ronaldo has which makes him world class is his CONSISTENCY throughout the season. Yes, he might disappear in some big games, but if he go on and score loads against each of the lesser teams in the premiership, Man Utd will still lift the title.

Yes, Ronaldo is consistently good/great against weaker teams, but is that enough to be considered world class?

For god sake' date=' talk about trying to pick holes.

The guy is awesome. Every player has flaws. Henry never showed up when the going got tough, apparently Messi is not so great for Argentina at the moment, etc, etc.

He scored 42 goals for the wing last season. Top scorer in the PL, top scorer in the CL.

How anyone can doubt his talents is beyond me.

I agree his attitude is not great, but then you look at the amount of fouls he receives.[/quote']

I don't think its picking holes to say Ronaldo has never put in a great performance in a big game, its a fact. And until he does start playing as well against the good teams as he does against the bad teams I don't think he can be talked about in the same breath as the likes of Ronaldinho and other players who have proven they are truely world class.

Never put in a great performance in a big game?.

He was named fans MOTM in the CL final.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_UEFA_Champions_League_Final#Rewards

Please, that doesn't mean anything, those awards are a popularity contest. Van Der Sar was the offical MOTM. If Terry hadn't slipped and missed the penalty (resulting in a Chelsea victory) Ronaldo would have been ripped apart by the press for his substandard performance.

Apart from the goal, which wasn't even a great goal from his perspective, what did he do in the game?

It's also important to remember that he played on towards the end of last season for Utd and then in the Euros for Portugal whilst carrying an injury that he needed painkilling injections for most weeks. As soon as the euros were over he was operated on.

Ok, fair enough, lets say his performances towards the end of the season for Utd and Portugal were hampered due to the injury he was carrying, he's still young, he has plenty of time to prove how good he really is...so what does he have to do so that that in 20 years time he is regarded as one of the best ever players?

IMO he has to do much more than score lots of goals against weaker teams, when Ronaldinho was at his best a few years back he was ripping teams apart no matter who they were - I suppose for Ronaldinho to be remembered as truely world class he needs to get back to that level of performance for Milan.

Ronaldo has been in great form for Man Utd for the past 18 months or so' date=' he's scored a hell of a lot of goals and helped Utd to a premiership and champions league double last season, but is he over rated on SM??

For me their is still a big question mark against how good Ronaldo actually is, as he rarely if ever puts in a good performance in the important games.

IMO to be a truely world class player you have to perform at the highest level week in week out over at least two seasons, but you also have to put in great performances in the biggest games of the season, as a "big four" premiership player I view Ronaldos "big games" as:-

1. Home & away games against the other "big four" (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal). 6 Games

2. Champions League, quarter finals onwards. 5 games.

3. Domestic finals (FA cup, Carling cup). 2 games

4. International tournaments. (Euro's & world cup).

Take last season, what did he do in the champions league final? He scored a header and missed a penalty, and not much else. He went missing for the 2 semi final games to.

And when was the last time he dominated a game against a premiership big four team? I don't think he ever has.

What did he do in the euro's for Portugal? Nothing.

Should he be named world player of the year? Yes, I don't think anyone has performed as well as him over the past 12 months.

BUT is he world class? I don't think he is yet, but I think he has the potential to be.

Was he as good as Ronaldinho was a few years ago? IMO he's not in the same league.[/quote']

Clearly know nothing about football

clrealy know nothing about Ronaldo

Clearly dont watch united

Clearly have no clue

There is no doubt he is a world-class player' date=' but in a big game I'd choose Gerrard or Ballack (for example) over him any day.[/quote']

You've sort of hit the nail on the head there. If you're playing Bolton at old trafford in the prem then Ronaldo walks into the team, but if you're playing Barcelona in the champions league final you would have second thoughts?

So I suppose it comes down to what is the definition of world class? For me it means being a consistently great player against the best teams. And I don't think Ronaldo meets that description (yet).

Please' date=' that doesn't mean anything, those awards are a popularity contest. Van Der Sar was the offical MOTM. If Terry hadn't slipped and missed the penalty (resulting in a Chelsea victory) Ronaldo would have been ripped apart by the press for his substandard performance.

Apart from the goal, which wasn't even a great goal from his perspective, what did he do in the game?[/quote']

Well according to the Mirror it was a virtuoso display (and they are known United haters):

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/05/22/champions-league-final-man-utd-and-chelsea-player-ratings-89520-20425687/

It was not a classic display from Ronaldo, but he had a good game. Apart from the goal I remember one classic breakaway and great cross which Tevez headed straight at Cech.

There is no doubt he is a world-class player' date=' but in a big game I'd choose Gerrard or Ballack (for example) over him any day.[/quote']

Could you tell me the last time Gerrard had a great game against Man Utd. It was a long, long, long time ago.....

How anybody can say he is not world class is beyond me.

What is this all about. Ronaldo recieved World Player of the Year' date=' how much more do you need. He could be a 99.[/quote']

I think that says more about how well the worlds top players (Kaka, Messi etc) have performed over the past 12 months than it says about Ronaldo. There is no way he should be a 99.

Clearly know nothing about football

clrealy know nothing about Ronaldo

Clearly dont watch united

Clearly have no clue

Wow thats a really well thought out and logical arguement. If you're going to post something why don't you make the effort to post something constructive like everyone else has.

I'm not a utd fan but I watch alot of football. I know lots of utd season ticket holders, I know utd fans who go and watch them all over europe, I know people who work for the club. And most of them agree that Ronaldo still has lots to prove.

Well according to the Mirror it was a virtuoso display (and they are known United haters):

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/05/22/champions-league-final-man-utd-and-chelsea-player-ratings-89520-20425687/

It was not a classic display from Ronaldo' date=' but he had a good game. Apart from the goal I remember one classic breakaway and great cross which Tevez headed straight at Cech.[/quote']

The article does use the word Virtuoso, but it only gave him a 7 out of 10.

The article gives Van Der Sar and Ballack both 8/10 and 13 other players (including Ronaldo) 7/10, it uses words like "super human", "Immense" and "magnificent" to describe the performances other players given the 7/10 rating.

So from the same article you could also deduce that Ronaldo was the joint 15th best player in the game!

I don't use say this often but please Search:mad:

There are tons of thread on him and I am gettin tired of seeing a new thread everytime:mad::rolleyes:

I know goals is not everything but seriously 87 goals + numerous assists in the last 3 seasons for both club and country is not bad is it?

If that's not world class then what is it

Well people can debate about the BIG games thing as both sides have a case in many ways which has been proven.

What can't be doubted though is if Ronaldo is world class, he clearly is lol.

People can't say the EPL is the strongest league then say Ronaldo isnt world class because Ronaldo destroyed the EPL last season! and has alreayd notched up a few goals this season after a slow start due to injury.

If Man Utd win the title again this season (they prob will) unless he gets a bad inury Ronaldo will be one of if not THE main reason they do.

Liverpool and other sides (Chelsea, Arsenal inc) really struggle at times to break down these so called "smaller" clubs and it costs them a lot of points when Man Utd play them its usually Ronaldo who does something to solve that (Stoke being a great example)

Could you tell me the last time Gerrard had a great game against Man Utd. It was a long' date=' long, long time ago.....

How anybody can say he is not world class is beyond me.[/quote']

I'm not saying he's not world class, in fact I specifically said that he is world class by the common definition. I don't think ukfootballfan101 said he wasn't world class either- he just questioned it.

As for Gerrard, he has had many a world-class game when it matters and scored when it matters but when has Ronaldo EVER matched his level of ability in the big games? He probably scored a few against a Championship side in the cup once! What a legend! I'm joking but you understand my point surely.

As for the person who had a go at ukfootballfan101, he's started a great debate! Knows nothing about football? His opinions may not be the same as yours and although I'd have to say I consider Ronaldo world class, I completely understand his point. Also, he seems to know a fair bit as all of his points have evidence to support them.

I've heard people argue that you can't be 'world-class' unless you have proven yourself at every level and especially at the World Cup. It isn't something I'd necessarily agree with but you understand the pint as it is the pinnacle of football. All the unquestionable greats of recent years have done that- like Zidane and Ronaldo and further back Cruijff, Maradona and Pelé. Some people were gearing up for Ronaldinho to have one in 2006 and it didn't happen- and see how some people (not everyone) question his legacy. It's like Henry. He deserved the Ballon D'or several times over the way he played for Arsenal but never won it. Most people cited he was maladroit in the big games (again debatable).

Maybe had Ronaldo took the CL Final by the scruff of it's neck (which despite what anyone says- he DIDN'T) we wouldn't be having this argument; but he didn't. Maybe had he would have performed as we know he can against Arsenal we wouldn't be having this argument. Maybe the same goes for the Manchester Derby. I have a fantasy football team on the Premier League site and I was so convinced he would under-perform I removed him as captain (captain gets you double points). I know it isn't the best source but if you look at the points when he played a better team he got (3 points against Everton, 0 points vs Chelsea, 0 points vs City, 2 points vs Arsenal, 3 points vs Villa) it is much, much lower than when he played lesser teams in the bottom half (he got an average of 10 points- more than 3 times his highest against one of what I consider the better teams). Just an example. You can accuse others of being biased but the Premier League? No.

Ronaldo DOES NOT perform in the big games but if someone asked me to select a player to have for a full season, he would be my choice. Someone brought up that he gets marked by two people in big games and as such can't fully express himself. Yes, that makes space for others and I'm not doubting his contribution in big games, just his quality. Cristiano is far less feared than Zidane or Ronaldo a couple of years ago, and on the wing he generally has more space to operate than they did but he offers far less magic when a team needs it. Zidane and Ronaldo (in their prime) always turned up for the big games (except to the WC '98 final but you can't really have a go at Ronaldo for that) but surely they were marked? Yes, but they had the quality to overcome. In my opinion, the best player for Man U during the CL run was Scholes, but then again I've always liked him.

I certainly think Ronaldo CAN play brilliantly at the right times and I also think sooner or later he WILL and shut people like me wrong and I eagerly await the day. But until then, there will always be question marks over him as a 'World-Class' player in the way we know Messi and Kaká are. The man before summed it up brilliantly- 'it's all bout how you define world clas'. Right. I define him as being world class and more deserving than any other player of the accolades he's likely to be given. But I don't think he is the best footballer in the world and so don't a lot of other people.