Is Ronaldo over rated??

ukfootballfan101

Re: Is Ronaldo over rated??

I'm not saying he's not world class' date=' in fact I specifically said that he is world class by the common definition. I don't think ukfootballfan101 said he wasn't world class either- he just questioned it.

As for Gerrard, he has had many a world-class game when it matters and scored when it matters but when has Ronaldo EVER matched his level of ability in the big games? He probably scored a few against a Championship side in the cup once! What a legend! I'm joking but you understand my point surely.

As for the person who had a go at [b']ukfootballfan101[/b], he's started a great debate! Knows nothing about football? His opinions may not be the same as yours and although I'd have to say I consider Ronaldo world class, I completely understand his point. Also, he seems to know a fair bit as all of his points have evidence to support them.

I've heard people argue that you can't be 'world-class' unless you have proven yourself at every level and especially at the World Cup. It isn't something I'd necessarily agree with but you understand the pint as it is the pinnacle of football. All the unquestionable greats of recent years have done that- like Zidane and Ronaldo and further back Cruijff, Maradona and Pelé. Some people were gearing up for Ronaldinho to have one in 2006 and it didn't happen- and see how some people (not everyone) question his legacy. It's like Henry. He deserved the Ballon D'or several times over the way he played for Arsenal but never won it. Most people cited he was maladroit in the big games (again debatable).

Maybe had Ronaldo took the CL Final by the scruff of it's neck (which despite what anyone says- he DIDN'T) we wouldn't be having this argument; but he didn't. Maybe had he would have performed as we know he can against Arsenal we wouldn't be having this argument. Maybe the same goes for the Manchester Derby. I have a fantasy football team on the Premier League site and I was so convinced he would under-perform I removed him as captain (captain gets you double points). I know it isn't the best source but if you look at the points when he played a better team he got (3 points against Everton, 0 points vs Chelsea, 0 points vs City, 2 points vs Arsenal, 3 points vs Villa) it is much, much lower than when he played lesser teams in the bottom half (he got an average of 10 points- more than 3 times his highest against one of what I consider the better teams). Just an example. You can accuse others of being biased but the Premier League? No.

Ronaldo DOES NOT perform in the big games but if someone asked me to select a player to have for a full season, he would be my choice. Someone brought up that he gets marked by two people in big games and as such can't fully express himself. Yes, that makes space for others and I'm not doubting his contribution in big games, just his quality. Cristiano is far less feared than Zidane or Ronaldo a couple of years ago, and on the wing he generally has more space to operate than they did but he offers far less magic when a team needs it. Zidane and Ronaldo (in their prime) always turned up for the big games (except to the WC '98 final but you can't really have a go at Ronaldo for that) but surely they were marked? Yes, but they had the quality to overcome. In my opinion, the best player for Man U during the CL run was Scholes, but then again I've always liked him.

I certainly think Ronaldo CAN play brilliantly at the right times and I also think sooner or later he WILL and shut people like me wrong and I eagerly await the day. But until then, there will always be question marks over him as a 'World-Class' player in the way we know Messi and Kaká are. The man before summed it up brilliantly- 'it's all bout how you define world clas'. Right. I define him as being world class and more deserving than any other player of the accolades he's likely to be given. But I don't think he is the best footballer in the world and so don't a lot of other people.

Good analysis.

I agree Ronaldo never took the game by the scruff of the neck, but he was one of the better players on the field. Certainly far better than Rooney who did have a shocker.

Its all up to personal opinion. For me Ronaldo is the best in the world because he delivers the end product. Compare him to Kaka and Messi, who score fewer than Ronaldo. Both score less, but do look great players.

Out of curiousity, which games has Kaka and Messi excelled in. Kaka was great against a weakened United team a few years ago, but had a poor world cup. Messi has also not won much with Barca.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying he's not world class' date=' in fact I specifically said that he is world class by the common definition. I don't think ukfootballfan101 said he wasn't world class either- he just questioned it.

As for Gerrard, he has had many a world-class game when it matters and scored when it matters but when has Ronaldo EVER matched his level of ability in the big games? He probably scored a few against a Championship side in the cup once! What a legend! I'm joking but you understand my point surely.

As for the person who had a go at [b']ukfootballfan101[/b], he's started a great debate! Knows nothing about football? His opinions may not be the same as yours and although I'd have to say I consider Ronaldo world class, I completely understand his point. Also, he seems to know a fair bit as all of his points have evidence to support them.

I've heard people argue that you can't be 'world-class' unless you have proven yourself at every level and especially at the World Cup. It isn't something I'd necessarily agree with but you understand the pint as it is the pinnacle of football. All the unquestionable greats of recent years have done that- like Zidane and Ronaldo and further back Cruijff, Maradona and Pelé. Some people were gearing up for Ronaldinho to have one in 2006 and it didn't happen- and see how some people (not everyone) question his legacy. It's like Henry. He deserved the Ballon D'or several times over the way he played for Arsenal but never won it. Most people cited he was maladroit in the big games (again debatable).

Maybe had Ronaldo took the CL Final by the scruff of it's neck (which despite what anyone says- he DIDN'T) we wouldn't be having this argument; but he didn't. Maybe had he would have performed as we know he can against Arsenal we wouldn't be having this argument. Maybe the same goes for the Manchester Derby. I have a fantasy football team on the Premier League site and I was so convinced he would under-perform I removed him as captain (captain gets you double points). I know it isn't the best source but if you look at the points when he played a better team he got (3 points against Everton, 0 points vs Chelsea, 0 points vs City, 2 points vs Arsenal, 3 points vs Villa) it is much, much lower than when he played lesser teams in the bottom half (he got an average of 10 points- more than 3 times his highest against one of what I consider the better teams). Just an example. You can accuse others of being biased but the Premier League? No.

Ronaldo DOES NOT perform in the big games but if someone asked me to select a player to have for a full season, he would be my choice. Someone brought up that he gets marked by two people in big games and as such can't fully express himself. Yes, that makes space for others and I'm not doubting his contribution in big games, just his quality. Cristiano is far less feared than Zidane or Ronaldo a couple of years ago, and on the wing he generally has more space to operate than they did but he offers far less magic when a team needs it. Zidane and Ronaldo (in their prime) always turned up for the big games (except to the WC '98 final but you can't really have a go at Ronaldo for that) but surely they were marked? Yes, but they had the quality to overcome. In my opinion, the best player for Man U during the CL run was Scholes, but then again I've always liked him.

I certainly think Ronaldo CAN play brilliantly at the right times and I also think sooner or later he WILL and shut people like me wrong and I eagerly await the day. But until then, there will always be question marks over him as a 'World-Class' player in the way we know Messi and Kaká are. The man before summed it up brilliantly- 'it's all bout how you define world clas'. Right. I define him as being world class and more deserving than any other player of the accolades he's likely to be given. But I don't think he is the best footballer in the world and so don't a lot of other people.

Zidane and Ronaldo I agree with but seriously not messi and kaka. Kaka and messi? no way near Ronaldo in terms of consistency. Kaka for me isn't consistent enough and on SM is overrated. Messi is good but still not Ronaldo's quality. In last season's semifinal both Messi and Ronaldo were nullified completely both defenses. So is Messi poor? Did people say Messi cheated when he tried to score with his hand and when he dives?People said he was fantastic when he scored a hatrick against a third rate Madrid defense yet Ronaldo has scored against Arsenal,Liverpool and Chelsea. But yeah Arsenal are attacking side,Reina was poor and so on......

In the final I am not saying he was unplayable but had his best games against Chelsea. I am talking not only about the goal but the match in general,he had some great crosses and movement excellent. Forumers say why didn't Ronaldo produce the goods when Manu were trailing Arsenal? Yet nobody questions Messi when he dosen't turn up(it's a lot of times)What was kaka doing when Milan couldn't even finish top 4? This what irritates me a lot when you have double standards! Steven Gerrard scored some goals against West Ham lol. LEGEND:rolleyes: What was he doing when Liverpool couldn't even score against manu let alone win?

Most people think about Ronaldo and first thing that comes to their mind is pace,skill and trickery. Another important part of his game that none of the players you mentioned even get close to him is his heading abilities. Absolutely fantastic header of the ball which even the legend Ronaldo wasn't.

Summing it up the lad is only 23 for pete's sake. And 2 years down the line I think he will be counted as one of the greatest in the world and prove people like you wrong.

Good analysis.

Out of curiousity' date=' which games has Kaka and Messi excelled in. Kaka was great against a weakened United team a few years ago, but had a poor world cup. Messi has also not won much with Barca.[/quote']

I think if you watch Milan, you would be shocked at how often he seems to bail them out and he single handedly took AC to the CL title (I'm talking 'virtuouso' performances in just about every game in the tournament) in 2007 (Maradona WC '86 style) and I think they are no were near the team they were and he helps them so much.

As for Messi, fair do's he hasn't proved himself as mcuh as Ronaldo due to his injuries. But I have seen him have fabulous games particularly in El Clásico in 2007 when he scored a hat-trick against Real and the game finshed 3-3 (amazing game) when Barca only had 10 men. If you watch that match it was like this:

Real score 1-0

Messi scores 1-1

Real score 2-1

Messi scores 2-2

Real score 3-2

Messi scores in the 90th minute!!! 3-3

I do not think he is over-rated on SM by the way, nor in real life but I'm just putting an argument across. He's the most effective player in world football without doubt.

Zidane and Ronaldo I agree with but seriously not messi and kaka. Kaka and messi? no way near Ronaldo in terms of consistency. Kaka for me isn't consistent enough and on SM is overrated. Messi is good but still not Ronaldo's quality. In last season's semifinal both Messi and Ronaldo were nullified completely both defenses. So is Messi poor? Did people say Messi cheated when he tried to score with his hand and when he dives?People said he was fantastic when he scored a hatrick against a third rate Madrid defense yet Ronaldo has scored against Arsenal' date='Liverpool and Chelsea. But yeah Arsenal are attacking side,Reina was poor and so on......

In the final I am not saying he was unplayable but had his best games against Chelsea. I am talking not only about the goal but the match in general,he had some great crosses and movement excellent. Forumers say why didn't Ronaldo produce the goods when Manu were trailing Arsenal? Yet nobody questions Messi when he dosen't turn up(it's a lot of times)What was kaka doing when Milan couldn't even finish top 4? This what irritates me a lot when you have double standards! Steven Gerrard scored some goals against West Ham lol. LEGEND:rolleyes: What was he doing when Liverpool couldn't even score against manu let alone win?

Most people think about Ronaldo and first thing that comes to their mind is pace,skill and trickery. Another important part of his game that none of the players you mentioned even get close to him is his heading abilities. Absolutely fantastic header of the ball which even the legend Ronaldo wasn't.

Summing it up the lad is only 23 for pete's sake. And 2 years down the line I think he will be counted as one of the greatest in the world and prove people like you wrong.[/quote']

Why do you get so defensive and touchy on the subject?? You rant on as if people are ripping into Ronaldo when none of us are.

We all state how good we think he is and even say hes the best player in the EPL but just because we think he can "improve" in the big games you blow a fuse? :confused:

We all get called "jelous, hatred" etc when we comment about Ronaldo or Man Utd, because for some lame reason most Man Utd fans read everything in a negative way and have this "us against the world" attitude in football debates.

I said on another thread its not a great aheivment to score past Arsenal, you have just had a dig at that how was my point wrong? which team is harder to score past Arsenal with there free flowing attacking football or a team who plays defensive? Are you seriously telling me all the times you have played LFC (lets face it we havnt been blessed with world class talent) the only thing Ronaldo did was score a free header when Reina missed the ball? (like Bolton did just 1 week a go) how is that having a BIG impact!.

The above will probably come back to bite me in the *** when we go to OT, but the fact is in the past what 6 games? we have played against each other Ronaldo has done NOTHING except score 1 free header. Rooney has been the one who usually stands out.

but for the simpletons.. :D "WE ARE NOT CALLING RONALDO JUST GIVING OUR VIEWS ON WHAT HE CAN IMPROVE ON" :rolleyes:

and yes hes 23, he can improve, isnt that exactly what we are all saying?? :confused::rolleyes:

Zidane and Ronaldo I agree with but seriously not messi and kaka. Kaka and messi? no way near Ronaldo in terms of consistency. Kaka for me isn't consistent enough and on SM is overrated. Messi is good but still not Ronaldo's quality. In last season's semifinal both Messi and Ronaldo were nullified completely both defenses. So is Messi poor? Did people say Messi cheated when he tried to score with his hand and when he dives?People said he was fantastic when he scored a hatrick against a third rate Madrid defense yet Ronaldo has scored against Arsenal' date='Liverpool and Chelsea. But yeah Arsenal are attacking side,Reina was poor and so on......

Summing it up the lad is only 23 for pete's sake. And 2 years down the line I think he will be counted as one of the greatest in the world and prove people like you wrong.[/quote']

I've said I want him to prove me wrong and I think he will. As for Kaka and Messi, I didn't say at any point during my post that they were more consistent than Ronaldo.He produces excellent quality more consistenly than anyone just about now. I don't think he is as talented as Kaká and Messi nor is he as mentally strong. Hughes was questioning his mental strength the other day and he is a player who will certainly know about it. He was unremarkable as a footballer but by the force of his mind he managed to play for the greatest teams in the world. As for Steven Gerrard- are you stupid? I can just say Istanbul and you've lost that argument.

The same is true for many. Ever hear of Alvaro Recoba? He is one of the most talented players in years, far moreso than Ronaldo or probably Kaka or Messi. However, due to injuries (something Messi struggles with unfortunately) and his mental instability he achieved very little. You should watch his debut on YouTube. Inter were 1-0 with 10 mins left and he came on and scored 2- a beautiful free-kick and a shot from 40 yards. He was the best paid player in the world for a while too but about 2 years later was a permanent impact sub for Inter. Steven Deisler is another. The next German player became a joke as he sadly wandered from one mental breakdown to another. Now I'm not saying Ronaldo is like that but he doesn't have that steel needed at the moment.

Again, I think he'll get it, but right now he is not the most talented football player on the planet but the most effective and consistent.

Why do you get so defensive and touchy on the subject?? You rant on as if people are ripping into Ronaldo when none of us are.

We all state how good we think he is and even say hes the best player in the EPL but just because we think he can "improve" in the big games you blow a fuse? :confused:

We all get called "jelous' date=' hatred" etc when we comment about Ronaldo or Man Utd, because for some lame reason most Man Utd fans read everything in a negative way and have this "us against the world" attitude in football debates.

I said on another thread its not a great aheivment to score past Arsenal, you have just had a dig at that how was my point wrong? which team is harder to score past Arsenal with there free flowing attacking football or a team who plays defensive? Are you seriously telling me all the times you have played LFC (lets face it we havnt been blessed with world class talent) the only thing Ronaldo did was score a free header when Reina missed the ball? (like Bolton did just 1 week a go) how is that having a BIG impact!.

The above will probably come back to bite me in the *** when we go to OT, but the fact is in the past what 6 games? we have played against each other Ronaldo has done NOTHING except score 1 free header. Rooney has been the one who usually stands out.

but for the simpletons.. :D "WE ARE NOT CALLING RONALDO JUST GIVING OUR VIEWS ON WHAT HE CAN IMPROVE ON" :rolleyes:

and yes hes 23, he can improve, isnt that exactly what we are all saying?? :confused::rolleyes:[/quote']

You missed my point:-

Look at Bob Loblaw's previous post about the messi thing

Real score 1-0

Messi scores 1-1

Real score 2-1

Messi scores 2-2

Real score 3-2

Messi scores in the 90th minute!!! 3-3

Fine Ronaldo scores against Arsenal and it's easy to score against then as they are attacking:) but when Messi gets 3 goals against a 3rd rate madrid defense it suddenly becomes spectacular.

Kaka scores against a second string back 4 against us(except for Vidic who clearly didn't look fit) and he is hailed as senstaional.

That's what irritates me

Fine Ronaldo scores against Arsenal and it's easy to score against then as they are attacking:) but when Messi gets 3 goals against a 3rd rate madrid defense it suddenly becomes spectacular.

Kaka scores against a second string back 4 against us(except for Vidic who clearly didn't look fit) and he is hailed as senstaional.

That's what irritates me

Don't say I missed your point thats what I like saying to everyone :D

Yeah I don't see enough of Messi or Kaka to make that assumption, when I comment on Ronaldo I just think with his ability he can 'improve' against the best clubs, he has the pace and ability to tear ANY full back to bits I just have not seen him do it hardly against the top sides in the big games.

I would not judge Kaka on that game Vs Man Utd either, thats one of the worst performances I have seen Man Utd in, in such a big game if memory serves me correct I think one of your CB's was playing with an INJ and the other was missing the full match through INJ?

Ronaldo is by far the most dangerous / affective player in the EPL and will no doubt be the same again this season.

That's what irritates me

A 3rd rate Madrid? Madrid won the league that year so I'd like you to explain to me if you will. No part of that Madrid side was 3rd rate. They had one of the lowest number of goals against them that year than anyone. By the way, what part of bringing your team, a team of only 10 men against 11 no less, back from the dead 3 times in a single match against the team that was top of the league, (and eventually won it) in a match where the title was effectively to be decided (had Madrid not drawn, they probably wouldn't have won the league) isn't spectacular!?

As for the Kaká thing, I didn't hail him as sensational on the basis of that game. I didn't even remember that goal until you brought it up and I'm pretty sure that when people call Kaká sensational they don't say:

'Do you remember that game when he scored against Man U!! Vidic was playing as well!! He must be the best!!'.

I didn't say the thing about Arsenal so it doesn't make sense to use that to counter one of my points. Although scoring against a team that is attacking can be easy, scoring at that time can change a game and if you're on the canvas, it can be hard to get up so scoring against an attacking team is not necessarily easy and I don't belittle that achievement. Chelsea couldn't do it the other day.

There have been some great points made, especially by Neller and Bob Loblaw.

I'm beginning to think that although Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka are all great players and probably the best players in the world at the moment, maybe none of them have proven themselves to be truely world class like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (Brazilian) and Zidane were at their respective peaks?

I don't watch enough italian football to fairly comment on Kaka, and Messi and Ronaldo are both much younger so maybe they will proven themselves to be as good as the other players I've mentioned.

What do you guys think? Are there no really great world class players about at the moment? I think it would be difficult to say Kaka, Ronaldo or Messi could be put in the same bracket as Pele, Maradona, Cruff, Souness etc based on what they have achieved so far.

A 3rd rate Madrid? Madrid won the league that year so I'd like you to explain to me if you will. No part of that Madrid side was 3rd rate. They had one of the lowest number of goals against them that year than anyone. By the way' date=' what part of bringing your team, a team of only 10 men against 11 no less, back from the dead 3 times in a single match against the team that was top of the league, (and eventually won it) in a match where the title was effectively to be decided (had Madrid not drawn, they probably wouldn't have won the league) isn't spectacular!?

As for the Kaká thing, I didn't hail him as sensational on the basis of that game. I didn't even remember that goal until you brought it up and I'm pretty sure that when people call Kaká sensational they don't say:

'Do you remember that game when he scored against Man U!! Vidic was playing as well!! He must be the best!!'.

I didn't say the thing about Arsenal so it doesn't make sense to use that to counter one of my points. Although scoring against a team that is attacking can be easy, scoring at that time can change a game and if you're on the canvas, it can be hard to get up so scoring against an attacking team is not necessarily easy and I don't belittle that achievement. Chelsea couldn't do it the other day.[/quote']

mate I have watched Madrid lots of time and their defense is ****, the reason why they have good defensive record is due to the fact that they keep the ball well but against big sides they get caught. And usually the side that finshes top usually have good defensive records. You can't do much damage if you don't have the ball

was just an example in kaka's case

It's true that Madrid's defence has been dodgy this season; no arguments there but this was a couple of seasons ago, Capello era. If Capello's sides aren't good at defending, they're good at nothing.

Maybe you should tell your mate Ronaldo about their defence- might stop him leaving :eek::D:P:rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think that although Ronaldo' date=' Messi and Kaka are all great players and probably the best players in the world at the moment, maybe none of them have proven themselves to be truely world class like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (Brazilian) and Zidane were at their respective peaks?

What do you guys think? Are there no really great world class players about at the moment? I think it would be difficult to say Kaka, Ronaldo or Messi could be put in the same bracket as Pele, Maradona, Cruff, Souness etc based on what they have achieved so far.[/quote']

I think Kaká will prove himself to be as good as Ronaldinho but I don't Ronaldinho deserves to be in the same bracket as Ronaldo and Zidane because I think if you were to a team of that generation (or the last 10 years) you would definitely pick them but maybe not Ronaldinho (although I did one on this forum last week and left Zidane out for Litmanen! :o )

Neither of the other two have proven themselves as good either, you're right.

I noticed you named probably the 3 best players ever (Pelé, Cruyff and Maradona) and then slipped Souness in :P

'World-Class' player in his day and a great but, c'mon! lol

I think Kaká will prove himself to be as good as Ronaldinho but I don't Ronaldinho deserves to be in the same bracket as Ronaldo and Zidane because I think if you were to a team of that generation (or the last 10 years) you would definitely pick them but maybe not Ronaldinho (although I did one on this forum last week and left Zidane out for Litmanen! :o )

Neither of the other two have proven themselves as good either' date=' you're right.

[b']I noticed you named probably the 3 best players ever (Pelé, Cruyff and Maradona) and then slipped Souness in :P [/b]

'World-Class' player in his day and a great but, c'mon! lol

Ha ha! you noticed that! I think if we were to put the greatest ever players into a league table, Maradona, Cruff and Pele would be in the premier league, Souness would be division one and Messi/Kaka/Ronaldo would (currently) be division three/The Conference.

That's what irritates me

Okay' date=' so you can argue that it was a second string back four, but im sure the back four you had out could walk into most sides, and it takes someone with talent to score against United anyway, has any League 2 player scored against them ??[/size']

Guest R. Peters

We get this thread every couple of weeks...

How on earth can you call the FIFPro World Player of the Year over-rated? You don't get Premiership Champions & Champions league Champions in a year, 42 Goals a season for a winger... If that's overrated, I don't know what is underrated.

Why can't we continue with the other Ronaldo threads, can these sort of threads be cut out completely right from the beginning. Just continue the most recent one, I remember stating the exact same points against Ronaldo as some others in this thread about 2 weeks ago. Come on guys. I wanna read something fresh:rolleyes:

Why can't we continue with the other Ronaldo threads' date=' can these sort of threads be cut out completely right from the beginning. Just continue the most recent one, I remember stating the exact same points against Ronaldo as some others in this thread about 2 weeks ago. Come on guys. I wanna read something [b']fresh[/b]:rolleyes:

Like Bread?

Ok' date=' fair enough, lets say his performances towards the end of the season for Utd and Portugal were hampered due to the injury he was carrying, he's still young, he has plenty of time to prove how good he really is...so what does he have to do so that that in 20 years time he is regarded as one of the best ever players?

IMO he has to do much more than score lots of goals against weaker teams, when Ronaldinho was at his best a few years back he was ripping teams apart no matter who they were - I suppose for Ronaldinho to be remembered as truely world class he needs to get back to that level of performance for Milan.[/quote']

I agree with Ukfootballfan...You make a very interesting point..Ronaldo is like Ibra, extraordinary against Siena, Bologna, Palermo, Cagliari but weak against Juve, Milan, Liverpool, Barca...

Zidane was a world class champions, so Totti, so Ronaldo (luis nazario da Lima), also Gerrard..

I agree with Ukfootballfan...You make a very interesting point..Ronaldo is like Ibra' date=' extraordinary against Siena, Bologna, Palermo, Cagliari but weak against Juve, Milan, Liverpool, Barca...

Zidane was a world class champions, so Totti, so Ronaldo (luis nazario da Lima), also Gerrard..[/quote']

Gerrard isnt a World Class player like Ronaldo Kaka or Messi? he will never be as big as Zidane Pele Fat Boy Ronaldo George BEST Or Kruyf