Sign in to follow this  
Seftinho

Thinking of Creating a Mini Online Management Game...

I did this twice before, and it is only a mini thing, based on forums. The first time, I didn't plan it out, and in the end there was so much to do and it all got confusing. That was about 2 years ago. Second time I planned it all out, but didn't get enough interest.

This time, I'm older, more mature (I hope), and hopefully able to do this.

How it would work:-

- There would be a maximum of 144 players. Doubt I'd get that much interest, but who knows.

- 72 teams would be split into 4 divisions - chosen from Scotland and England. Not randomly selected - it would be EPL, SPL, CC, and the top teams from L1.

- Each team has 1-2 managers, would fill up all teams first, then if there is still interest, new managers could join another manager.

- Each player has a rating - would be similar to SM. At certain stages in the season, say every 12 games, each player would have an update, in similar terms to SM, apart from it will be based depending on how the player is doing in the game, and age not IRL. There will be end of season increases/decreases (like FIFA).

- Tactics will be very basic - any formation you want, providing it has 1 keeper and 11 players. Then there will be C, A, D, P, L, E, N and T. See if you can guess what they are. :P (Counter-attack, Attacking, Defensive, Passing, Long Ball, European, Normal, and.. just T). T would only be used if a manager doesn't 'submit'.

- Each tactic can counter 2 other tactics, but can also be countered by 2 other ones. It's all about guessing and countering your opponents tactics.

- Scores will be based on squad ability, player positions, formation and most importantly tactics, as well as luck.

- You will be able to buy 1 player from a foreign team every 12 games.

- You will be able to deal amonst yourselves.You set the prices, you make the deals.

- Each player has a hidden potential level (Like SM). Basically, how promising a player is. So end of season increases won't be random, they'll be based on potential.

- There will be an FA Cup, Divisional Cup (A chance of small teams to win something), and Community Shield.

- There will be manager of the month and player of the month, after every 6 games.

- To submit, just pm a formation, tactics, and instructions (When to sub on, or change tactics depending on the score) to a special account I will set up.

- There will be no morale, no scouting, no fitness, etc, etc

---------------------------------

This is all provisional, and is just a plan. If there isn't more than 36 people interested, I won't go ahead with it.

So first of all, I want to see how many people are interested. If you have suggestions, make them. It's all a bit of fun, nothing serious, nothing to fret over.

If you think it's too complicated and won't work, let me know now. ;)

The earliest it would start would be after X-mas, if ever.

Thoughts?

If you have queries, please ask. ;)

Interest so far:

Me

Nath Kirby

Carl Brereton

Operation-A

Gazza MUFC

Bloosh

Wozza

AidanC19931

PET

RyanClarke

Aza Bolam

Guest Football8

Re: Thinking of Creating a Mini Online Management Game...

Well, i'm interested in doing my own site as well, which i am currently working on, it is also a Football site and will introduce a management game, i'm also interested in this.

But, have you got your own domain and own hosting Seft ? :)

Well' date=' i'm interested in doing my own site as well, which i am currently working on, it is also a Football site and will introduce a management game, i'm also interested in this.

But, have you got your own domain and own hosting Seft ? :)[/quote']

There are two free forums I've known about for years. Invisionfree (or maybe Zetaboards now, they were planning changing about 3 years ago, but after a year it hadn't changed, but they were getting closer), or SpreeBB.

There is also a great site I know where I can get games and use them in an arcade. Basically you can play a game, try and get the top score, then someone else can try and beat it, etc. Some quality games available, presuming this site is still going.

Guest Football8

Cool' date=' I'm sure loads of people do.

Now back on topic?[/quote']

Sorry if i went off topic, would you do HTML coding, or would people just post you their squads etc ? :)

Sorry if i went off topic' date=' would you do HTML coding, or would people just post you their squads etc ? :)[/quote']

No need to go to all that complication. Just posting squads via PM. Invisionfree/Zetaboards required minimal HTML to use, but a lot of time (although much less than it would be with HTML).

Also, decided to take out the 'only being able to see your own players rating' bit. Partly because it makes it more simple, and more fun if you can see everybody's, stops scamming, and I want to play as well, so this would stop it being unfair in my favour (as I would be able to see all ratings).

i was planning on making one of these, i had the program for it too, but wasnt sure if there would be any interest...

if there is then it could be really fun as there is alot of interaction between other managers and not just your computer...

i would suggest;

* Having a main site, that would have squads, fixtures, results, tables etc

* Forum for the community to talk about the game and other things

the suggestions are just from experience, as most people wanted a simple way to view squads, fixtures and so on...

i was planning on making one of these' date=' i had the program for it too, but wasnt sure if there would be any interest...

if there is then it could be really fun as there is alot of interaction between other managers and not just your computer...

i would suggest;

the suggestions are just from experience, as most people wanted a simple way to view squads, fixtures and so on...[/quote']

For a start, I'm way too inexperienced in coding and w/e to start a site for it, and I don't want anything official, just a small forum, for, well, everything.

It'll take a lot of hard work using Forum software, but it is possible.

Over the last few months I've been creating my own site using mostly similar software to what you'll looking to use. It's been a lot of hard work (hence why I haven't been as active lately), but it's given me a good result, and it's now been open for 2 weeks and I've had over 300 members sign up. Take a look if you want - http://freepl.co.cc/

It's not as easy as it looks though. For a start you need to get your own host and domain, and then need to work on skinning (+graphics), coding, layout, features, etc. I'd say to make a successful and good looking site, you'd need advanced HTML skills, with some Javascript knowledge, CSS and a bit of PHP.

So yes, it's possible, but not something for the faint hearted. I recommend you look for help in the graphics section for graphics as that will save you a job.

If you need help getting a good host, or domain I'd be happy to help there, and can also help out with Javascript and CSS for new features (site layout) if needed. If you need any other coding help feel free to ask as I may be able to help.

If it works out I'll join :)

It'll take a lot of hard work using Forum software' date=' but it is possible.

Over the last few months I've been creating my own site using mostly similar software to what you'll looking to use. It's been a [b']lot[/b] of hard work (hence why I haven't been as active lately), but it's given me a good result, and it's now been open for 2 weeks and I've had over 300 members sign up. Take a look if you want - http://freepl.co.cc/

It's not as easy as it looks though. For a start you need to get your own host and domain, and then need to work on skinning (+graphics), coding, layout, features, etc. I'd say to make a successful and good looking site, you'd need advanced HTML skills, with some Javascript knowledge, CSS and a bit of PHP.

So yes, it's possible, but not something for the faint hearted. I recommend you look for help in the graphics section for graphics as that will save you a job.

If you need help getting a good host, or domain I'd be happy to help there, and can also help out with Javascript and CSS for new features (site layout) if needed. If you need any other coding help feel free to ask as I may be able to help.

If it works out I'll join :)

I have experience of creating a forum. :)

http://s1.zetaboards.com/zb/index/

Everything there. I would definitely look for someone to create graphics, but I know a site with plenty of graphic packs for the various buttons, and the Admin CP used by ZB make it easy, and requires minimal coding, javascript, etc. On the ZB forums they give you the coding to add various things, be it an announcement scroller or shoutbox like on your site, or w/e.

I'd also like to add, ratings would be my opinions, and would only change in the game itself, not based on anything else. But, they would be based heavily on SM ratings, with the exception of under-rated players due to injury or what have you, or players I feel are over-rated slightly. Youngsters will probably have higher ratings, as it is ability. So Merida say, might be 83/84, rather than 78, because I reckon he would be a good Championship player (just a random example).

Edit: Here's my last failed attempt: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Online_Management/index.php?act=idx

Each manager also had a forum for their seperate team, where they could post their tactics, etc, and communicate with their 'assistant'. There are also various forums that you can see when you are allicated to a team.

This was from just over a year ago (Last November).

If anyone wants to check it out, I created a test account. Username is Test, password is test (username is capital T, pass is all lower case).

i was planning on making one of these' date=' i had the program for it too, but wasnt sure if there would be any interest...

i would suggest;

the suggestions are just from experience, as most people wanted a simple way to view squads, fixtures and so on...[/quote']

Actually, if you can get this working, i suggest doing it. I'm sure you'd get enough people, it would be a million times better than what I was planning, and would be pretty quality.