Michael Carrick - How Underrated?

Michael Carrick - How Underrated?  

1. 1.

• Stay at 91
    • Rise to 92
    • Rise to 92/93
    • Rise to 93

Re: Michael Carrick - How Underrated?

hes been playing 3/4 of the games since he moved from tottenham' date=' but these are mainly due to scholes and hargreaves finding it impossible to stay fit. in the 1st 2 seasons, he didnt do anything outstanding and just sat in the middle of the park like an average prem player. fair doos to him, hes bin doing ok this season, not enough to warrant an increase to 93![/quote']

Ferguson really wanted Carrick in the squad and last season even when Hargreaves was fit he played him on the right so Carrick could play in the centre. As I said before one of the unsung players in the United team. Without being spectacular he provides a lot to the team. His passing is top draw. And it's not only this season he has been good,since he has joined Man United he has been excellent resulting in 2 league titles and a champions league trophy where as Gerrard hasn't even managed 1 league trophy at Liverpool. It hardly his fault that England a clown at the helm in mclaren. Whenever a international game comes up under Capello he seems to get injured. And as I write I am watching the highlights of the England Vs germany match and he has been fantastic so far.

Carrick and Barry should both be 92.

Losing Carrick would not cost Man U any points. He is a fine player' date=' but to me he isn't as influential on their games as the 93+ rated players on their team. In fact, if everyone on Man U was healthy and you made a best XI, he would be the eleventh man, if selected at all. Numerous players around the Prem could step into his role and be just as successful, including Barry.[/quote']

Not going to dig at barry as Im a fan of his. However losing Carrick would be a blow to us and trust me when I say carrick along with rio/vidic/rooney/ronnie are the first on the team sheet. They make up the spine of the side and Carrick is integral to our whole balance.

There arnt many who step into his shoes and be as effective, barry possibly but doesnt have carricks passing ability (imo) alonso possibly and our own hargreaves when fit.

As for England I beleive someone has already mentione dthe fact carrick is seldomly fit for some reason when it comes to internationals however did play against Germany and was widley reported as MoM that game.

For my view on Carrick I agree with the OP and personaly wouldnt swap him with any other DM in the country

Not going to dig at barry as Im a fan of his. However losing Carrick would be a blow to us and trust me when I say carrick along with rio/vidic/rooney/ronnie are the first on the team sheet. They make up the spine of the side and Carrick is integral to our whole balance.

There arnt many who step into his shoes and be as effective' date=' barry possibly but doesnt have carricks passing ability (imo) alonso possibly and our own hargreaves when fit.

As for England I beleive someone has already mentione dthe fact carrick is seldomly fit for some reason when it comes to internationals however did play against Germany and was widley reported as MoM that game.

For my view on Carrick I agree with the OP and personaly wouldnt swap him with any other DM in the country[/quote']

Pretty much what i was going to say =].

When we first signed Carrick everyone was like, why? Because we spent a lot of money on him, but he's really come into his own this season and i, like Kinkster, wouldn't swop him for any CM/DM's in the world. And he's English =p.

Because?....

You can't just say something with no reasoning behind it!

Is it a rule I've never heard of? I've seen Carrick play loads of times and this season there is no difference beween him and Fletcher who is 88.

Carrick is far better than fletcher his ability to pick a pass from nowhere is sensational and i think carrick is one of the best passers of the ball in the world he does a job that not many players recieve enough credit for (Like Sissoko,Diarra) he never loses the ball like the two mentioned and in my mind i think he should be 92/93 :)

If you can't be sensible then please get lost. Another one of those haters:mad:

as if u can say anything about being biased towards ur own team!

if any1 says anything rong bout united u have a go at them until they eventually get bored

and whenever u get the chance to say anything bad bout another teams player (mainly the other 3 out of big 4) u jump at the opportunity.

If you can't be sensible then please get lost. Another one of those haters:mad:

Why is that not sensible? The question is 'Michael Carrick - How Underrated?' and I answered. I hate Anderson's rating not the player himself. ;)

Why is that not sensible? The question is 'Michael Carrick - How Underrated?' and I answered. I hate Anderson's rating not the player himself. ;)

Well that hasn't really furthered your case there, what's your hate of Anderson's rating got to do with Carrick being underrated? And please explain why Anderson doesn't deserve the rating he has.

Also, why have only 2 people who voted for 91 posted??

i'd be invlined to discount all but 2 of the 91 only votes ;)

He's not underrated' date=' its Anderson who's hugely overrated.[/quote']

i think that Anderson is overrated but Carrick is still underrated

he has been one of Man United's best player this year

he deserves a 92 and maybe a 93

how is he on the same rating as John obi mikel?

Well that hasn't really furthered your case there' date=' what's your hate of Anderson's rating got to do with Carrick being underrated? And please explain why Anderson doesn't deserve the rating he has.

Also, why have only 2 people who voted for 91 posted??

i'd be invlined to discount all but 2 of the 91 only votes ;)[/quote']

Why is it that every Man United fan just skips what you said and then comes up with some ***** from their own glory hunting gobs. I cleary said:

I've seen Carrick play loads of times and this season there is no difference beween him and Fletcher who is 88.

And if Anderson's rating hasn't got anything to do with it, then don't tell me to explain why it is an unfair rating.

Why is it that every Man United fan just skips what you said and then comes up with some ***** from their own glory hunting gobs. I cleary said:

And if Anderson's rating hasn't got anything to do with it' date=' then don't tell me to explain why it is an unfair rating.[/quote']

Most of your posts on every thread suggest you hate Manchester United to say the least. Obviously a leeds fan almost has the right to hate united.But I know lots of other United haters who at least see a football match with their eyes open unlike you. You obviously have no clue to what your saying. If you see no difference in Flecther and Carrick then tbh your opinion is not worth having. I would advise you get a new pair of glasses or try to keep your eyes open while watching a match.

Why is it that every Man United fan just skips what you said and then comes up with some ***** from their own glory hunting gobs

You are the one skipping everything and just making stupid posts. You gave absolutely no reason for this

I've seen Carrick play loads of times and this season there is no difference beween him and Fletcher who is 88.

which again is not surprising as there is no reason why a person with brains would say such a thing(maybe you don't have brains:rolleyes: ).

When you said this I

He's not underrated' date=' its Anderson who's hugely overrated.[/quote']

was actually beginng to doubt if you had ever seen Anderson play? I doubt it....This lad is simply amazing. His passing is excellent, confident to run with the ball, pace and all the ingredients a world class midfielder has. His workrate is also amazing. And even Sir Alex Ferguson spoke of him so well on MUTV and rates him very highly.

And if Anderson's rating hasn't got anything to do with it' date=' then don't tell me to explain why it is an unfair rating.[/quote']

Right...

Didn't see your post about carrick being the same as Fletcher, my brain probably skipped it because it's nonsense...

I don't really need to say anything else to you, reddevil just completely destroyed all you had to say...

Couple of points though -

IF you look at the first post I made, you'll see that I said as someone who goes to the games and watches him, I think he deserves 92/3 because you see more of him there than on tele.

My guess is that you've seen, maybe, 2 united games in full? if that? on tele, and the rest are highlights that youve seen carrick in (which never do him justice). If you think Carrick deserves 91 as a footballer, then you really are blind to good football...

Secondly, why did you need to swear at me and talk about some nasty word that comes out of my glory hunting gob? I just asked you why you'd made the points, and then made another point that no-body apart from you and Adam (who only voted 91 cos he's a liverpool fan ;);););)) posted about him being a 91.

I'm not going to go down the "i'm not a glory hunter" route because it always looks like i'm boasting or lying, but either way i've been going to Old Trafford since i was 4 (and i'm 18 now).

Anyway, read Reddevil's post and then make a reply :).

But please don't be aggresive again, I don't want it to be that way!

I'm going to chip in here and say to all members to refrain from using any profanities starred out or otherwise as failure to obey this will result in infractions from now on :) . Also please be polite to each other and if you are going to get a little heated take a break and then come back and respond. Banter is fine but a few posts here have crossed the line. Consider this a warning from your friendly neighbourhood mod :)

The reason no-one who has voted 91 has voiced their opinion in the form of a posting is the simple fact that they will be so obviously out-numbered by the Man U fans here. Anyone who has tried to post has been pounced upon by all you. Nothing wrong with that and I applaud your enthusiasm and togetherness, but don't expect anyone who feels he should be a 91 to post because to be fair, if I thought he should be a 91, I would think twice about posting the reasoning behind my feelings for this very reason (although I feel I could hold my own :D ). Off course there will be many jealous fans who have voted 91 out of spite, but to discount them all is a bit harsh as some will have genuine reasons.

For what it's worth, I believe he has done enough to warrant a 92 rating, but 93 is pushing it at this stage. Perhaps if he can maintain his early season form he will be a 93 by the end of the season. My reasoning is that although he puts in some sensational performances where he almost is running the show at times, there are other times he is seemingly inconspicuous and you don't even see him in the game. Admittedly he's been much more consistent this season, but arguably last season he went missing in too many games. That's my reasoning - feel free to pick it apart :)

I will have to agree with most of you people and say Carrick should be a 92, I wouldn't go any higher than this though as I personally believe that he is not quite as good as Albelda or Ballack who are both rated 93. Personally I would say he is not as good as Flamini either who is a 92 but I think he should be a 93....but thats another point.

Anyway he is on a par with other 92's such as Toure, Hitzlsberger and Veron. I might be wrong as I dont follow Man utd I'm more a scottish football fan but is Carrick not quite injury prone? That could be holding back his rating. Possibly they don't want to rise him incase he gets injured again and they could have egg on their face. I would be grateful if a proper man utd fan could confirm is proneness to injury for me :D

To touch on the Fletcher arguement I too believe that if Carrick is to get his 92 then Fletcher deserves a 90 because you cant deny that early this season without fletcher utd would have struggled way more than they did.

Other than this I believe he should be a 92 as should Gareth Barry :D

Good thread so far guys!!

I think Man Utd's whole midfield is underrated tbh - this is a team that won the EPL & the CL last season and their midfield players are rated 91-93...?

Carrick should be 92 at least, Scholes' form last season deserved a 94 (although 93 is probably right as he has been injured this season.

I reckon he deserves a 92 for sure but don't think he is of the same quality as players like Ballack and Alonso so for me a 93 would be a no no.

He goes about his business in a quiet and efficient manner and maybe thats to his detriment as he doesn't get as much attention as the big guns. His passing is good and he has a decent enough engine but he doesn't really score many goals which probably affects his rating. He probably averages about 2/3 a season so he's far from the finished article. The thing is with the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov etc around him he doesn't really need to score. He just needs to break things up and play simple passes to the more skillful players to do their thing.

First off i voted for him to remain at 91.Just so we're clear from the start...

IrishWombat You like to make the point about you going to man utd games and therefore see more of his play than we do on the tv,fair enough but then im sure we could all argue that point for our respective teams...i know from going to celtic and scotland games, paul hartley and scott brown(scotlands finest:D ) do so much more that goes un-noticed in the highlights reel!My point being that your being pretty bias(as most man utd fans are it seems on this thread) because everyone could try argue that point with at least one player in their club..not jus man utd players!Carrick is the type of player that gets the job done effectively and makes no fuss!

I dont agree with him and say hargreaves having the same rating!Personally I feel carrick should stay at 91 since he isn't an automatic first choice for england(and why would he be with barry gerrard and lampard all ahead of him) Obviously he doesn't score too many goals because thats not his job in the man utd team so his rating shouldn't be affected by that,but a player like carrick's rating should be affected by the assists he gets etc and in the current season he has played 9 games and had 0 assists.

Not to distract from the thread too much but i feel hargreaves rating should drop to a 90 due to the amount of injuries he picks up and again isn't an automatic first choice pick for man utd, whereas darren fletcher who has a lower rating plays more games(11, 3 goals) and i feel fletcher's rating should increase also

First off i voted for him to remain at 91.Just so we're clear from the start...

IrishWombat You like to make the point about you going to man utd games and therefore see more of his play than we do on the tv' date='fair enough but then im sure we could all argue that point for our respective teams...i know from going to celtic and scotland games, paul hartley and scott brown(scotlands finest:D ) do so much more that goes un-noticed in the highlights reel!My point being that your being pretty bias(as most man utd fans are it seems on this thread) because everyone could try argue that point with at least one player in their club..not jus man utd players!Carrick is the type of player that gets the job done effectively and makes no fuss!

I dont agree with him and say hargreaves having the same rating!Personally I feel carrick should stay at 91 since he isn't an automatic first choice for england(and why would he be with barry gerrard and lampard all ahead of him) Obviously he doesn't score too many goals because thats not his job in the man utd team so his rating shouldn't be affected by that,but a player like carrick's rating should be affected by the assists he gets etc and in the current season he has played 9 games and had 0 assists.

Not to distract from the thread too much but i feel hargreaves rating should drop to a 90 due to the amount of injuries he picks up and again isn't an automatic first choice pick for man utd, whereas darren fletcher who has a lower rating plays more games(11, 3 goals) and i feel fletcher's rating should increase also[/quote']

I'll do it in order ;).

As for Maloney and Brown, I agree they're really good players, but you have to take into account the difference in levels of football. Michael Carrick is playing for the best team in Europe in the (i think) top league. Also i'm not saying he just does a job, he does more than that. He pulls the strings around the midfield, almost as well as Paul Scholes but people notice it less because Scholes plays more quality crossfield balls.

If you're honest, 91 is extremely low for a player playing week in week out for Mancehster United alone. But paired to the fact that Carrick is now, one of the top players at the club (at least in Ferguson's opiniong [and a lot of people here ;)]) and very important to the teams success. I don't think I'm being particularly biased am I? i aim not to be normally... I think if any football fan watched Carrick they'd see his above the likes of Mikel Obi and D'allessandro.

As for the stats about him, i'm not sure if he has 0 assists... what stats site did you use for that? Also would be interested to see his pass and pass completion stats... :P

As for Hargreaves and Fletcher it's a tricky one... I think Fletcher is highly underrated, inside United anyway (internationally he's recognised like), but I think the problem is that whenever you look at a United team sheet with Fletcher on it, you see him as more 3rd or 4th choice... so not sure if SM will give him a 90, but i think he deserves that.

Hargreaves is a more difficult one because, on his day he's a 91/2 player, and can play the Mascherano role very well, as well as RB but his Siatica is a right pain. But hopefully after his operations he'll be a regular next season because he's a class player =]. It took sm a good 18 months to drop Jorge Andrade from 92 - 90 when he was injured, so we'll see.

As for Maloney and Brown' date='

As for the stats about him, i'm not sure if he has 0 assists... what stats site did you use for that? Also would be interested to see his pass and pass completion stats... :P

As for Hargreaves and Fletcher it's a tricky one... I think Fletcher is highly underrated, inside United anyway (internationally he's recognised like), but I think the problem is that whenever you look at a United team sheet with Fletcher on it, you see him as more 3rd or 4th choice... so not sure if SM will give him a 90, but i think he deserves that.

It took sm a good 18 months to drop Jorge Andrade from 92 - 90 when he was injured, so we'll see.[/quote']

First off I said hartley not maloney:) but i never questioned there was a gulf in class between the levels of football(though it wasnt evident when man utd came to parkhead:D)

I agree he is an important player around old trafford,i'm just saying in my opinion a 91 is what he should drop to!I'm well aware i'll be in the minority but ohwell. As for the stats site it was espn...it probably isnt the most reliable site but it was the first that came up...if you have any better ones id appreciate if you passed them on.

I do agree with you on the fletcher front,as a regular at scotland games he can be unbelievable one game then the next game he falls into oblivion..possibly too much is expected of him however. But with people like Barry Ferguson being a 91 i still maintain that fletcher should rise to a 90..no more than that though.

And lastly...dont remind me of jorge andrade..signed him then a week later watched as his rating plummeted!Was not happy