Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

You sort of miss my point. What I'm saying is exactly that you can stay in Ligue 1 with a team that topped Ligue 2' date=' with only small reinforcements. The problem is that ACA is changing pretty much whole team. They bring in pretty mediocre new players and let the players with whom they won promotion last season to walk. I further emphasize this by using the exact examples you gave to me:[/quote']

Just woke up ;)

Montpellier guys: Belhanda' date=' own youngster, given chance and took it. Marveaux, guy who won MHSC promotion from Ligue 2.

ACA guys: Laurenti, Bouazza and Kermorgant all are reinforcements, new players bought after winning the promotion, and none of them being experienced and proven Ligue 1 players.

Then, take a look at the reinforcements that Montpellier got: Pitau, Spahic, Dernis. These are names of quite a different quality than Laurenti and Kermorgant (Laurenti is a drop out of a Ligue 1 team and Kermorgant has never even played on top level). What they need is to keep the best of their last season squad and add carefully only few pieces to that, some top Ligue 1 experience. Well, too late now. ACA will go down. Estevan can't save everything, they'll play in Ligue 1 as a lower division club meeting big opponents in cup, hoping to get some lucky ties, and will eventually lose whole league unless some team truly flops.[/quote']

Your are speaking like if Belhanda and Marveaux were world famous before this season. What I am trying to say is that perhaps Arles may come up with some talented youngster like Montpellier did last season with Belhanda, or that some of the players takes a big step in their development and suprise us all with their performances in a positive way.

Laurenti is a good player - always does his job, but perhaps nothing more. He should be a benefit for the team. I agree though regarding Kermorgant. Bouazza has a big chance of succeed in the team and the league. He and Estevan are both Algerians. Of course we shouldn't predict how players will perform based on their nationalties, but it certainly feels more comfortorable when someone you know abit better is also the coach of you.

Ederson was selected to play for Brazil? I guess Lyon will get more money out of him now' date=' if they'll sell him. Ederson is still quite young, so it might be wise to give him some more time to prove himself.[/quote']

Yeah, surpised about that too. Don't think he will start though, he should get some minutes though.

While we are speaking about him: He has been training really well this summer with Lyon. He had the best condition of the whole squad when they tested the players condition, and has been outstanding during the trainings. He really wants to stay at Lyon and prove his worth. This season will really make it or break it. If he don't perform this season, then he'll be shipped out. I reckon some Arabian team will buy him then. No one wants to pay 13-15M € for him, and Lazio, the team who perhaps have most money of those who are interested, won't perhaps go for him, since FIGC (Italian federation) stupidly created a rule saying you can only buy 1 non-eu player per season. Lazio might go for a safe bet then - someone who has preformed in their previous club.

Your are speaking like if Belhanda and Marveaux were world famous before this season. What I am trying to say is that perhaps Arles may come up with some talented youngster like Montpellier did last season with Belhanda' date=' or that some of the players takes a big step in their development and suprise us all with their performances in a positive way.

Laurenti is a good player - always does his job, but perhaps nothing more. He should be a benefit for the team. I agree though regarding Kermorgant. Bouazza has a big chance of succeed in the team and the league. He and Estevan are both Algerians. Of course we shouldn't predict how players will perform based on their nationalties, but it certainly feels more comfortorable when someone you know abit better is also the coach of you.[/quote']

I think you're still a bit asleep. ;)

I am not saying that Marveaux and Belhanda were world famous players, I say that Marveaux was, like Montano, Costa, Ait-Fana, Jourdren, Carasso, Camara and Yangambiwa (and I'm missing some here!) already made part to MHSC squad when they won the promotion to Ligue 1, while the players you mention (Laurenti and others) are new recruitments to ACA. The difference is to have trust in the team that won you the promotion in first place instead of buying drop outs from losing teams. The reckoned experienced Ligue 1 players of MHSC last season were their recruitments, Pitau, Spahic and others, surely of higher level than Laurenti and others.

Let me remind you of the fact MHSC's success didn't surprise me last season, I in fact predicted it before the season that they'll do fine. And this is because they're doing things right. ACA is not, they're messing whole team up, apparently thinking that almost any players they can get will do better job than those who they had last year. It'll take a long time just to make them play together. It's good that they kept Piocelle, Psaumé, Ayasse, N'Diaye and Elie though, but rest of starting lineup will be new guys, and probably not even better than those who left. Although they might be getting Sonck, who's classy player (altough I haven't heard anything of him for years now).

Shocking news:

1. Mathieu is pre-selected for the friendly against Norway. Great, this is a very good defender, plays well to both directions. Good working ethics.

2. Marseille's line-up against PSG is like a demonstration for the forthcoming season. A. Ayew preferred to Ben Arfa signals that the latter is on sale, the former not, same thing with Kaboré being preferred to Cheyrou, and finally: Taiwo starting as a captain signals that they're actually desperate to keep him for the future. Heinze being still sidelined with injury (like M'Bia) plays part in Taiwo starting though. Niang and Brandao are suspended, so Samassa starts. Valbuena on right flank, of course. On PSG's side there are no surprises at all, Hoarau is suspended and Luyindula replaces him.

Shocking news:

1. Mathieu is pre-selected for the friendly against Norway. Great' date=' this is a very good defender, plays well to both directions. Good working ethics.

2. Marseille's line-up against PSG is like a demonstration for the forthcoming season. A. Ayew preferred to Ben Arfa signals that the latter is on sale, the former not, same thing with Kaboré being preferred to Cheyrou, and finally: Taiwo starting as a captain signals that they're actually desperate to keep him for the future. Heinze being still sidelined with injury (like M'Bia) plays part in Taiwo starting though. Niang and Brandao are suspended, so Samassa starts. Valbuena on right flank, of course. On PSG's side there are no surprises at all, Hoarau is suspended and Luyindula replaces him.

Fans seems to love Ben Arfa though. He got a massive cheer when he came on

I really don't like the way some Marseille players dive all the time. A. Ayew does nothing else than fouls or dives. I didn't follow Ghana much in World Cup but was this the secret of his success there as well? Taiwo's crying is the non plus ultra of ridiculous diving. This is already second time in this match that Giuly hardly touches him and he goes crying on the ground. And he is at least 1,5 times as big as Giuly. Giuly and Luyindula surprisingly good. Bodmer nice to see back on midfield, very good. Of OM's players I've been most impressed by that new Basque RB, whatever was his name. Really good player, seems to be great purchase for OM. He can be sort of final piece of their puzzle, since there's little doubt that RB was their weakest position. Now either Heinze as CB or buy a new CB, throw M'Bia back to DM, get Cheyrou back to play the left CM, Ben Arfa bck to left flank instead of that whining Ayew and voilà, that's a team.

I've been just slightly surprised that PSG has appeared to be the better team. Not much surprised though, even last season they simply got pretty much the minimum of points they could with their game, that on the first half of season was amongst the best in Ligue 1, and Nene and Bodmer are very good reinforcements. I hope they'll win this.

Oh, talking about plyers who have impressed me, PSG RB Jallet has been impressive too.

I guess that Nene, Jallet, Luyindula, Kezman and Giuly will shoot for PSG, for OM, Lucho and Taiwo at least. ....maybe Arfa too.

Edit: so far I've got it spot on. :)

Last to for OM, I guess Cissé and... say, Samassa? But now, this really is just guessing.

Thanks for that, I also forgot to put that same question to Goulon. And also, and I've asked in the past with these, but would you think that the young keeper at Sochaux, Dreyer, can make the no. 1 shirt his own or will Teddy Richert keep it for himself. :)

Congrats l'OM!

Fans seems to love Ben Arfa though. He got a massive cheer when he came on

Well' date=' his roots are from Tunisia and the game was played there, hence the massive cheer.

Any idea what Bonnart will be up to next season?

Rubbish player in my opinion. Azpi is way better than him, and I am so happy for l'OM that they got rid of Bonnart and bought Azpi instead of meeting Bonnart's crazy wage demands. Now, he can't even find a new team to play for, haha.

Anyway, back to point. As Didi said, ASSE were interested in him, but I haven't heard anything for ages now so I don't think they want him more. Perhaps Bonnart moves to EPL or something like that. A team like Newcastle would perhaps do good for him and suit him and the club well. He has routine and Newcastle don't want and can't afford to spend as much as before, but they've got Simpson aswell, who's another good right-back, but screw that, routine is routine. This was just my own thoughts though.

Thanks for that' date=' I also forgot to put that same question to Goulon. And also, and I've asked in the past with these, but would you think that the young keeper at Sochaux, Dreyer, can make the no. 1 shirt his own or will Teddy Richert keep it for himself. :)[/quote']

Goulon is rumored to go to either Lille, Lens or Bordeaux. If Diarra leaves Bordeaux, I think Goulon will replace him there, but since it looks like Diarra won't be leaving Bordeaux most likely, I think we can shut that move down. Lille could also be a good destination, but they've got Balmont and Mavuba there, who are both good defensive-midfielders aswell, but perhaps Lille, who will be playing in Europe this upcoming season wants to add some depth in the midfield and therefore wants to add Goulon to the squad aswell. I am not saying Goulon wouldn't get minutes if he ended up in Lille, as I think he will be routated with the two players I mentioned. Lens are also a possible destination for him. We might not be the biggest club at the moment, but Goulon has stated that he wants regular playing time in the club he ends up at. Lens could offer him that, which Lille for instance can't, so Lens is a possible destination aswell.

Richert should keep the No.1 shirt, he is in my opinion the greatest keeper Sochaux has ever had. He is a living legend at Sochaux, but he could still end up loosing his starting place if Dreyer impresses very much. The safest bet is though that Richert will take it back once he fully recovered from his injury.

2. Marseille's line-up against PSG is like a demonstration for the forthcoming season. A. Ayew preferred to Ben Arfa signals that the latter is on sale' date=' the former not, same thing with Kaboré being preferred to Cheyrou, and finally: Taiwo starting as a captain signals that they're actually desperate to keep him for the future. Heinze being still sidelined with injury (like M'Bia) plays part in Taiwo starting though. Niang and Brandao are suspended, so Samassa starts. Valbuena on right flank, of course. On PSG's side there are no surprises at all, Hoarau is suspended and Luyindula replaces him.[/quote']

Ben Arfa is going, the question is where..? Newcastle, Milan or even perhaps Wolfsburg?! I could personally see him fitting perfectly in Wolfsburg. Karim Ziani is already there and could help him out in Germany, Mclaren uses a 4-3-3 formation and I could see him fitting in perfectly as one of the wingers in the 3 men attack.

Kaboré is a big suprise. He was tremendous at the end of last season and if Cheyrou decides to leave, Marseille has his replacement already in the squad.

Taiwo, should in my opinion, leave Marseille. He shouldn't be dumb enough to walk into Deschamps trap with giving Taiwo the captaincy. When has Taiwo ever been wearing the captain band under his year in Marseille? I recall never seen him beeing the captain at Marseille despite spending several years there. Taiwo should move to Liverpool now, before he is put on the bench by Deschamps and becomes forgotten.

Finally! Boumsong moves to Panathinaikos. I hope Aulas now puts Louvren in the middle of the defence alongside Cris, and the buys Corchia and use Corchia as a right-back. I am so happy for Lyon, finally they got rid of that so called 'defender'.

Finally a French club is after Corchia. The club would be Bordeaux. By the way' date=' after Nice refusing West Ham's €13,5M bid for Rémy, Triaud said that he doesn't see how they would have means to surpass that bid. Which implies that Rémy is unlikely to move to Bordeaux. Bck to Gameiro then, but the problem is that he has even bigger price tag. But there's not so much bidding for Gameiro, who is very under-hyped, it might be that the price eventually will be, in current economy, set slightly lower. This, however, is just my speculation. Corchia's price tag, by the way, is €5M. Munchen offered half of that and was refused. We'll see how much Triaud is ready to pay. I would see Corchia being a rotation player for Bordeaux, first, but eventually replacing Chalmé, who is entering his 30's.

Didi are there rumors about Chalmé moving this summer? I wasn't aware of any, but I don't have your ear to the ground when it comes to all things French.

You certainly rate Corchia, but how do you think he compares today to the likes of Chalmé & Debuchy ?

Also, how do you rate Chalmé & Debuchy when it comes to the pool to RBs in France? And if you were to have one of those players this season as your starting RB, which would it be ?

EDIT:

And lastly on Ben Arfa... What an amazing reception he received from the Tunisian crowd yesterday. He didn't disappoint either. But here's my question... Is there a sound reason why this guy can't get his act together ? Dude is 23. He's getting past the stage were you can teach a dog new tricks. Anyway... would love to see him pull it together.

Here's a quote from Deschamps :

"I know he is capable of doing things like he did on two or three occasions. Starting the game on an athletic level is currently difficult for him. If he can do in 90 minutes what he does in 20 minutes, it changes a lot..."

Rubbish player in my opinion. Azpi is way better than him' date=' and I am so happy for l'OM that they got rid of Bonnart and bought Azpi instead of meeting Bonnart's crazy wage demands. Now, he can't even find a new team to play for, haha. [/quote']

Ok, he absolutely is not rubbish. Over paid when you compare to other Ligue 1 RB's, but not rubbish.

Anyway, back to point. As Didi said, ASSE were interested in him, but I haven't heard anything for ages now so I don't think they want him more. Perhaps Bonnart moves to EPL or something like that. A team like Newcastle would perhaps do good for him and suit him and the club well. He has routine and Newcastle don't want and can't afford to spend as much as before, but they've got Simpson aswell, who's another good right-back, but screw that, routine is routine. This was just my own thoughts though.

Wages generally being higher in England this move could be possible. Newcastle could probably pay him what he wants.

Goulon is rumored to go to either Lille, Lens or Bordeaux. If Diarra leaves Bordeaux, I think Goulon will replace him there, but since it looks like Diarra won't be leaving Bordeaux most likely, I think we can shut that move down. Lille could also be a good destination, but they've got Balmont and Mavuba there, who are both good defensive-midfielders aswell, but perhaps Lille, who will be playing in Europe this upcoming season wants to add some depth in the midfield and therefore wants to add Goulon to the squad aswell. I am not saying Goulon wouldn't get minutes if he ended up in Lille, as I think he will be routated with the two players I mentioned. Lens are also a possible destination for him. We might not be the biggest club at the moment, but Goulon has stated that he wants regular playing time in the club he ends up at. Lens could offer him that, which Lille for instance can't, so Lens is a possible destination aswell.

Diarra is not moving. Marseille didn't have money to pay the transfer clause. Thus Bordeaux is not recruiting to that area. And they have Sané and Fernando still from last year and Ducasse returned after an excellent season on loan.

Lille already got Sow. Not recruiting, even if Cabaye left (which I think still is probable). Don't recall Lens being interested in him. Nor other way around.

Richert should keep the No.1 shirt' date=' he is in my opinion [i']the greatest keeper Sochaux has ever had[/i]. He is a living legend at Sochaux, but he could still end up loosing his starting place if Dreyer impresses very much. The safest bet is though that Richert will take it back once he fully recovered from his injury.

What!?!?!?! Greatest keeper of Sochaux? How about Bats? Or if you don't count him (as he didn't play there at his prime day), then perhaps Mattler? Or Rust? Or Rousset Or even Cassard? Even to compare Richert, whose greatest achievement is to win a cup and to get to a International pre-selection (never to real team), and who never got to play in Bordeaux because was inferior to Ramé to legends like Bats and Mattler is outrageous.

Anyway, I think Dreyer will eventually take Richert's place. Teddy is a old man already and Dreyer is promising young GK. Perhaps the revolution doesn't take place this autumn, but if not during 2011, then they risk to lose a player who has way more potential than Richert (and no offence to Richert, who is a good GK as well).

Finally! Boumsong moves to Panathinaikos. I hope Aulas now puts Louvren in the middle of the defence alongside Cris' date=' and the buys Corchia and use Corchia as a right-back. I am so happy for Lyon, finally they got rid of that so called 'defender'.[/quote']

Who however was last two seasons their best CB if you don't count Toulalan. Anyway, I think it will still be Toulalan in the middle, probably with Cris, while Reveillère should start as RB.

Ben Arfa is going' date=' the question is where..? Newcastle, Milan or even perhaps Wolfsburg?! I could personally see him fitting perfectly in Wolfsburg. Karim Ziani is already there and could help him out in Germany, Mclaren uses a 4-3-3 formation and I could see him fitting in perfectly as one of the wingers in the 3 men attack.

Kaboré is a big suprise. He was tremendous at the end of last season and if Cheyrou decides to leave, Marseille has his replacement already in the squad.

Taiwo, should in my opinion, leave Marseille. He shouldn't be dumb enough to walk into Deschamps trap with giving Taiwo the captaincy. When has Taiwo ever been wearing the captain band under his year in Marseille? I recall never seen him beeing the captain at Marseille despite spending several years there. Taiwo should move to Liverpool now, before he is put on the bench by Deschamps and becomes forgotten.[/quote']

If Cheyrou stays on bench, I'm pretty sure he'll leave. He took it like a man in the end of last season, was great when got on field, but something has happened there if man is in instance moved from captain to a unused sub....

I don't see Ziani really helping Ben Arfa adapting, as one of the reasons why Ziani was sold was his bad relation to Ben Arfa.

Didi are there rumors about Chalmé moving this summer? I wasn't aware of any' date=' but I don't have your ear to the ground when it comes to all things French.[/quote']

No, on the contrary, Chalmé is one to most affirm staying in club and building for future. My comment only reflected the fact that they should start to look for a replacement for Chalmé for the future. He is ageing and he gets injured sometimes too. Now they have Savic for that role though. Ducassé has played RB in friendlies.

You certainly rate Corchia, but how do you think he compares today to the likes of Chalmé & Debuchy ?

Corchia has more potential than ither of these, but, and this is to answer to your next question as well: atm Chalmé is the best French RB, by far.

Also, how do you rate Chalmé & Debuchy when it comes to the pool to RBs in France? And if you were to have one of those players this season as your starting RB, which would it be ?

Answered above. I only now saw that new Marseille RB and I think he is only one to seriously compete with Chalmé. Chalmé's brilliance in passing is superior in France and note that he is most reliable in his defensive duties as well. Also, many don't realize that he excels with left foot as well. It's true that all French top defenders these days play well with both feet, but Chalmé's left foot crosses are better than most of Ligue 1 LB's.
EDIT:

And lastly on Ben Arfa... What an amazing reception he received from the Tunisian crowd yesterday. He didn't disappoint either. But here's my question... Is there a sound reason why this guy can't get his act together ? Dude is 23. He's getting past the stage were you can teach a dog new tricks. Anyway... would love to see him pull it together.

It's just his lack of discipline, maturity, well... he can't take much anything, on field and out of it. He has clear mental issues and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended his career before turning 25. However, I hope he'll make it to top, because he has as much talent as anybody.

Here's a quote from Deschamps :
"I know he is capable of doing things like he did on two or three occasions. Starting the game on an athletic level is currently difficult for him. If he can do in 90 minutes what he does in 20 minutes, it changes a lot..."

He has had huge problems in training for example, so it is no surprise that he is not fit to play a full match. Also, it is part of his "style" that he doesn't really work on field but only shines in few occasions. There's just too much wrong with this guy... he can't let the past go and start anew it seems to me, perhaps he would profit from a move to a new club, maybe to a bigger club where it would go without question that there are stars bigger than him.

Diarra is not moving. Marseille didn't have money to pay the transfer clause. Thus Bordeaux is not recruiting to that area. And they have Sané and Fernando still from last year and Ducasse returned after an excellent season on loan.

Yeah' date=' I know, that's what I said by 'If Diarra leaves Bordeaux, I think Goulon will replace him there, but since it looks like Diarra won't be leaving Bordeaux most likely, I think we can shut that move down'.

Lille already got Sow. Not recruiting, even if Cabaye left (which I think still is probable). Don't recall Lens being interested in him. Nor other way around.

Lens are interested in him, I've read. Surely you must trust a Lensois when I am talking about my own team ;)

What!?!?!?! Greatest keeper of Sochaux? How about Bats? Or if you don't count him (as he didn't play there at his prime day)' date=' then perhaps Mattler? Or Rust? Or Rousset Or even Cassard? Even to compare Richert, whose greatest achievement is to win a cup and to get to a International pre-selection (never to real team), and who never got to play in Bordeaux because was inferior to Ramé to legends like Bats and Mattler is outrageous.

Anyway, I think Dreyer will eventually take Richert's place. Teddy is a old man already and Dreyer is promising young GK. Perhaps the revolution doesn't take place this autumn, but if not during 2011, then they risk to lose a player who has way more potential than Richert (and no offence to Richert, who is a good GK as well).[/quote']

Okey, I have to admit that I was slightly biased regarding Richert, but mocking him of 'just' winning a cup and get a pre-selection to the NT, is just ridicolous. I mean, he is playing for the club of his heart, you should respect that.

Who however was last two seasons their best CB if you don't count Toulalan. Anyway' date=' I think it will still be Toulalan in the middle, probably with Cris, while Reveillère should start as RB.[/quote']

Yeah, perhaps we'll see Toulalan beeing played at the centre of the defence, but this sale of Boumsong could open up for Lovren to take a place in the team. I am also sure that Puel has never said that Toulalan will be playing in the defence. It's just what Aulas wants. Aulas has a lot of power and maybe Puel will be scared of loosing his job (Aulas is very stricted when it comes to the manager job. Remember Alain Perrin, who won the double in 2008 and still got fired!), and thus will be playing Toulalan in the defence, but spending 10M € on a guy who is perhaps the most talented defender in the whole south-east region of Europe and then just letting him rooting on the bench, is just a dumb move by the management.

Anyone know how you can make the text on the Bordeaux official club page in English? I want to see if Gregory Sertic's been playing in any friendly's lately, and if so if he's done well or not, if i can't change the page to English can anyone tell me how he's been getting on lately? :o

I've also heard that Lyon have stepped up there bid to try and sign Yoann Gourcuff, which could be good news for Sertic.

Anyone know how you can make the text on the Bordeaux official club page in English? I want to see if Gregory Sertic's been playing in any friendly's lately' date=' and if so if he's done well or not, if i can't change the page to English can anyone tell me how he's been getting on lately? :o

I've also heard that Lyon have stepped up there bid to try and sign Yoann Gourcuff, which could be good news for Sertic.[/quote']

Download Google Chrome, it automatically translates foreign web pages:)

If you use Firefox then download this add on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/918/

:)

Okey' date=' I have to admit that I was slightly biased regarding Richert, but mocking him of 'just' winning a cup and get a pre-selection to the NT, is just ridicolous. I mean, he is playing for the club of his heart, you should respect that. [/quote']

I see this other way around: you're not respecting these legendary GK:s of France. What Richert has achieved is a fact. How it compares to legends like Bats (50 selections and winning EC) is another fact. Why he plays for Sochaux is that he didn't make it in Toulouse, Bordeaux and Lille. He, is considering to move away from Sochaux now that he has made some name. I'm not saying that he is a bad GK, but saying that he is best GK Sochaux has ever had is just purely disrespectful towards great GK:s Sochaux has had in World history. It doesn't strike you as such perhaps if you don't know the history of French football, but let me demonstrate it to you with an example. What would you think, if I said that Boriello is the best striker Milan has ever had? This is the same thing. Boriello is not bad, but he is far from the heights of legendary strikers Milan has had. Very same thing with Richert and Sochaux.

Yeah, perhaps we'll see Toulalan beeing played at the centre of the defence, but this sale of Boumsong could open up for Lovren to take a place in the team. I am also sure that Puel has never said that Toulalan will be playing in the defence. It's just what Aulas wants. Aulas has a lot of power and maybe Puel will be scared of loosing his job (Aulas is very stricted when it comes to the manager job. Remember Alain Perrin, who won the double in 2008 and still got fired!), and thus will be playing Toulalan in the defence, but spending 10M € on a guy who is perhaps the most talented defender in the whole south-east region of Europe and then just letting him rooting on the bench, is just a dumb move by the management.

In fact it was first Puel who said that eventually Toulalan will become a CB, Aulaus just said that this sounds fine to him.