Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

I see this other way around: you're not respecting these legendary GK:s of France. What Richert has achieved is a fact. How it compares to legends like Bats (50 selections and winning EC) is another fact. Why he plays for Sochaux is that he didn't make it in Toulouse' date=' Bordeaux and Lille. He, is considering to move away from Sochaux now that he has made some name. I'm not saying that he is a bad GK, but saying that he is best GK Sochaux has ever had is just purely disrespectful towards great GK:s Sochaux has had in World history. It doesn't strike you as such perhaps if you don't know the history of French football, but let me demonstrate it to you with an example. What would you think, if I said that Boriello is the best striker Milan has ever had? This is the same thing. Boriello is not bad, but he is far from the heights of legendary strikers Milan has had. Very same thing with Richert and Sochaux.[/quote']

To be fair, I did say I was kind of biased towards him so no need to keep picking on about how good he is against other big keepers that has played in Sochaux, and you don't need to make fun of him just beacuse he isn't playing for the 'best' team.

Me? Don't know anything about old legends of French football? HAHA. That's why I don't know who Guy Roux, Tigana, Laslandes, Micoud, Papin and some others are :rolleyes:

And can you give me some link to these rumors about a possible move for Richert?

To be fair' date=' I did say I was kind of biased towards him so no need to keep picking on about how good he is against other big keepers that has played in Sochaux, and you don't need to make fun of him just beacuse he isn't playing for the 'best' team. [/quote']

I wasn't making fun of him, I just said that he doesn't stand in comparison. And it's not just "not playing in the best of teams", Bats made his name in Auxerre, indisputably the smallest club of Ligue 1, from where he made it to l'EDF as well. It is only that he isn't as good as the former GK:s, and why I mention his times in Bordeaux, Toulouse and Lille is that he didn't make it there. Wasn't it 0 games for Lille and Bordeaux? Bats and Rust in fact competed against each other when in Sochaux, it's a crazy history, when they shared the GK duties for some time, neither one playing constantly. Then Sochaux chose Rust, with whom they eventually had a lot of success, but afterwards you can still ask whether they chose wronlgy, letting Bats move to a smaller club to get more responsibility, because he eventually became better than Rust. But Richert didn't even compete with Ramé who you say is bad (which is ridiculous).

Me? Don't know anything about old legends of French football? HAHA. That's why I don't know who Guy Roux, Tigana, Laslandes, Micoud, Papin and some others are :rolleyes:
Well, I said "if" and about "history of Frenh football". Your comment however showed less being biased (i.e. lack of objectivity) than not knowing the history (i.e. lack of perspective).

And can you give me some link to these rumors about a possible move for Richert?

To be honest' date=' there's none of that now that he got sidelined for 4 months because of an injury (Sochaux suddenly, after saying that recruiting is over, searches for a new GK now which tells us that they don't rely on Dreyer in any case). I don't have any links to him moving, but there has been talks about his transfer about every summer for last seasons, and he has usually kept the doors open for some time at least. I was perhaps wrong to say that he [i']is considering[/i], perhaps has considered would have been better, but that doesn't change that it is too much to say that Sochaux is the club of his heart.

Richert wasn't in top condition anyway, suffering from injuries and now with this latest blow it has come clear that Sochaux must look forward to eventually replace him. However, this confirms that Dreyer won't be their short-term plan, perhaps not even their long-term plan, because they're buying a new GK now.

Well i managed to get the Bordeaux website to translate into English, and i've noticed that Bordeaux have played 4 games so far this pre-season, and they've won all 4. Did Grégory Sertić play in either of them games? and if so did he have a decent performance, enough to maybe gain a call up for more games next season?

Also, who has taken Marouane Chamakh's place in the starting line up? If Gourcuff does leave this summer will the money be spread around the squad, along with possible cash that might be available is Alou Diarra does make the move to Marseille.

Well i managed to get the Bordeaux website to translate into English' date=' and i've noticed that Bordeaux have played 4 games so far this pre-season, and they've won all 4. Did Grégory Sertić play in either of them games? and if so did he have a decent performance, enough to maybe gain a call up for more games next season?

Also, who has taken Marouane Chamakh's place in the starting line up? If Gourcuff does leave this summer will the money be spread around the squad, along with possible cash that might be available is Alou Diarra does make the move to Marseille.[/quote']

Sertic came in as a sub in each game. Probably his role next season as well. Note that he only came back from injury this month, so he has had less time to get physically prepared. However, it is clear that the starting formation is:

Carasso

Chalmé-Planus-Ciani-Trémoulinas

Diarra

Plasil-Gourcuff-Wendel

Gouffran-Cavenaghi

This answers your other questions as well: Gouffran-Cavenaghi replaces Chamakh (Fernando moved to bench from midfield), and current situation in Diarra case is that negotiations are over and OM can't afford buying him. Note that currently Olimpa is only adult GK of Bordeaux, rest being injured, so atm he is the starting GK (instead of Carasso).

Bats and Rust in fact competed against each other when in Sochaux' date=' it's a crazy history, when they shared the GK duties for some time, neither one playing constantly. Then Sochaux chose Rust, with whom they eventually had a lot of success, but afterwards you can still ask whether they chose wronlgy, letting Bats move to a smaller club to get more responsibility, because he eventually became better than Rust.[/quote']

Talking about this, I see something similar in MHSC situation. Jourdren played well, go injured; Carasso replaced, won them promotion; Carasso got injured, Jourdren replaced, won them a place in Europa League. Huge competition between two young talented GK:s. Montpellier had to make their pick, they choose Jourdren and sold Carasso to Rennes. Pretty obvious pick, as he had assured them in Ligue 1, unlike Carasso, but might prove to be the wrong one, in case that Carasso eventually becomes better.

Of course, there are differences to Rust-Bats case: Carasso and Jourdren both had full seasons of responsibility, whereas Rust and Bats were changed on match-to-match basis; Carasso and Jourdren are not the two brightest talents of French goalkeeping and I doubt either of them reaching the level of Rust not to talk about Bats; Rennes isn't exactly the smallest club in Ligue 1, not even smaller than MHSC. Still, there's a similar sense in this situation. And Carasso did move in order to get to play, as MHSC clearly decided that Jourdren is the GK on whom they'll rely in future (by signing a new 4-year contract). As Carasso only wanted to a team where he would play, this signals that despite of good seasons that Douchez has had lately it is Carasso who is seen as the future no. 1 in Rennes. Perhaps Douchez will still start the forthcoming season as no. 1 (since it has been so during the pre-season) but I suppose that quite soon he'll be an experienced back up GK and teacher to Johann Carasso, in same manner as Ramé has been to Johann's older brother Cedric.

Now that we speak of Cedric Carasso, I think it is ridiculous that Blanc apparently is punishing the original 23 of les Bleus for the strike, and not those who actually were there to decline from training. I mean, how was Carasso involved in that? He was in hospital in France wasn't he, when les Bleus went to strike in South-Africa. And how come is Ruffier seen as sinless, he was there too, just as much as Valbuena and Planus.

Sertic came in as a sub in each game. Probably his role next season as well. Note that he only came back from injury this month' date=' so he has had less time to get physically prepared. However, it is clear that the starting formation is:

[center']Carasso

Diarra

Plasil-Gourcuff-Wendel

Gouffran-Cavenaghi[/center]

This answers your other questions as well: Gouffran-Cavenaghi replaces Chamakh (Fernando moved to bench from midfield), and current situation in Diarra case is that negotiations are over and OM can't afford buying him. Note that currently Olimpa is only adult GK of Bordeaux, rest being injured, so atm he is the starting GK (instead of Carasso).

Oh want to see Grégory Sertić to break into the squad, is he ready for it? I mean he's turning 21 in a matter of days. But i guess you have to start somewhere, and of the bench is obviously a start, i take it if he plays regularly he'll rise to about 85/86, but depending on how Bordeaux do of-course. But they'll probably finish in the top 4, even without Chamakh.

Sertic came in as a sub in each game. Probably his role next season as well. Note that he only came back from injury this month' date=' so he has had less time to get physically prepared. However, it is clear that the starting formation is:

[center']Carasso

Diarra

Plasil-Gourcuff-Wendel

Gouffran-Cavenaghi[/center]

I hope Bordeaux gets another striker atleast, and then perhaps an alternative for Tremoulinas. I do not rate Marange at all. Infact, I am suprised that he even returned to Bordeaux. Didn't Bordeaux state some year ago that he had been sold on permanent basis to Nancy? I really hope Bordeaux gets a quality back-up for Tremoulinas. Although that's not the biggest problem.

As for the striker, I'd love to see Gameiro wearing the blue. I know Bordeaux don't have the money at the moment to make some big signings, but sell Fernando for let's say, 5-6M €. Then use some non-useable player who don't fits into Tigana's plans + those cash they're getting for Fernanado, and voila, Gameiro is a Bordeaux player. Dream signing #1 really for me if we are talking about Bordeaux, and I really can't see getting much minutes as he got under Blanc pre-09/10, as I rate and think Tigana will use Ducasse and Sane more than Fernando.

I hope Bordeaux gets another striker atleast' date=' and then perhaps an alternative for Tremoulinas. I do not rate Marange at all. Infact, I am suprised that he even returned to Bordeaux. Didn't Bordeaux state some year ago that he had been sold on permanent basis to Nancy? I really hope Bordeaux gets a quality back-up for Tremoulinas. Although that's not the biggest problem.

As for the striker, I'd love to see Gameiro wearing the blue. I know Bordeaux don't have the money at the moment to make some big signings, but sell Fernando for let's say, 5-6M €. Then use some non-useable player who don't fits into Tigana's plans + those cash they're getting for Fernanado, and voila, Gameiro is a Bordeaux player. Dream signing #1 really for me if we are talking about Bordeaux, and I really can't see getting much minutes as he got under Blanc pre-09/10, as I rate and think Tigana will use Ducasse and Sane more than Fernando.[/quote']

You may be bit hasty here. Tigana has used Fernando as captain when Diarra hadn't yet come back after the World Cup. As much as you'd like to see him moving away, I suppose he'll have his role in Bordeaux. What it comes to Marange, I do rate him. I was surprised that he didn't make it to Bordeaux squad before. He was first LB when just 20 and was quite good. He goes to same group of players with Obertan and Ducasse, that I feel Bordeaux eventually wasted just because of wanting to have a more experienced squad. He sure is good enough for a back up. I don't think Bordeaux actually has to buy any new players. Keeping the current squad is the best market strategy. Getting Cavenaghi and Gouffran back on fire is good replacement for Chamakh. These are quality players. Also, Fernando and Bellion (probably less used striker with some value) are not enough to make the €15M asked for Gameiro. There's no way Gameiro moves to Bordeaux. Likely to stay in Lorient, he said himself that he focuses on playing another good season with Lorient. Good attitude. Btw, Diarra just said same: he is 100% Bordelais, Tigana adding that media speculates too much, Diarra had never said he wants to leave. Great, but it just makes me wonder about Triaud's disappointment with players wanting to leave, if no one wanted...?

Back to U19.

France won it!!!! Allez les Bleuets!!! Sunu and Lacazette (enormous tournament for a guy who never gets to play in Lyon) scorers, Kakuta again great. From 1 goal deficit to 2-1 victory. These teams also met on U17 finals earlier, getting to this final proves that these are great generations for both countries. In U17 finals France didn't have Griezmann though. Made the difference this time? No, it's not that simple. But some excellent players coming up from that generation. I hope Lyon uses theirs.

What it comes to Marange' date=' I do rate him. I was surprised that he didn't make it to Bordeaux squad before. He was first LB when just 20 and was quite good. He goes to same group of players with Obertan and Ducasse, that I feel Bordeaux eventually wasted just because of wanting to have a more experienced squad.[/quote']

True, but I am not clearly seeing his potential yet. About Obertan: He has always been a good talent, but he was way to injury-phrone, I believe. That's the main reason to why Bordeaux let him go to England, and no matter how talented he is, it's was the right thing by Mr Blanc to do.

I don't think Bordeaux actually has to buy any new players.

I'd like to see a new striker and a winger or two as a back-up to Plasil and Wendel (I do not rate Bellion)' date=' beacuse I doubt they will be playing every game, and with the season beeing long and tough, Bordeaux better start searching for alternative(s) to them.

Also, Fernando and Bellion (probably less used striker with some value) are not enough to make the €15M asked for Gameiro.

Use them + 3-5M €, and Gameiro is a blue! But if Bordeaux couldn't afford Gameiro, there's a cheaper option (Sverkos). Weird you might say, but I am really believing can this guy turn out to be as good as Erding's been to Paris.

Back to U19.

France won it!!!! Allez les Bleuets!!! Sunu and Lacazette (enormous tournament for a guy who never gets to play in Lyon) scorers' date=' Kakuta again great. From 1 goal deficit to 2-1 victory. These teams also met on U17 finals earlier, getting to this final proves that these are great generations for both countries. In U17 finals France didn't have Griezmann though. Made the difference this time? No, it's not that simple. But some excellent players coming up from that generation. I hope Lyon uses theirs.[/quote']

And now I'm really upset Chelsea poached Kakuta from us :mad:

I'd like to see a new striker and a winger or two as a back-up to Plasil and Wendel (I do not rate Bellion)' date=' beacuse I doubt they will be playing every game, and with the season beeing long and tough, Bordeaux better start searching for alternative(s) to them.[/quote']

I agree with Nicollin: how do you introduce your youngster to league football if you always just buy new players? Bordeaux has got Sertic, who imo is just as good as Plasil and Wendel, only lacks experience. Then Les Girondins have Jussie, Traoré, Ayité and Saivet, with Lasne looking for an opportunity as well, and Gouffran can play wing too (Diabaté or Bellion to play striker on his place). I think there are some back ups there, and if they are never going to be used, then why are they there?

Use them + 3-5M €, and Gameiro is a blue! But if Bordeaux couldn't afford Gameiro, there's a cheaper option (Sverkos). Weird you might say, but I am really believing can this guy turn out to be as good as Erding's been to Paris.

Supposing that either someone is willing to pay that money for them or Lorient is willing to take them in exchange (seen that they're probably paid way more than any of Lorient's own players, I doubt that).

And now I'm really upset Chelsea poached Kakuta from us :mad:

So you should be. I'd rather see him starting his adult career in Lens than in Chelsea too.

What do you guys think of Bakary Sako? I asked the question at the start of last season but he seemed to force his way in at the end of the season' date='do you think he will be a first teamer next season and how good is he?[/quote']

He will play, but not necessarily start most of matches. He lacked some of the last season because of an injury. If he stays healthy, he should get his fair share of play.

I agree with Nicollin: how do you introduce your youngster to league football if you always just buy new players? Bordeaux has got Sertic' date=' who imo is just as good as Plasil and Wendel, only lacks experience. Then Les Girondins have Jussie, [b']Traoré[/b], Ayité and Saivet

I agree with those two in bold, they should get a chance. They have been impressive whenever I've seen them play. I've never really rated Jussie though, and it is really time to leave Bordeaux in my opinion. Perhaps to Brazil, Spain or some Arab country...? Anyway, good point on Sertic aswell, and I also hope he sure gets some more playing time.

Supposing that either someone is willing to pay that money for them or Lorient is willing to take them in exchange (seen that they're probably paid way more than any of Lorient's own players' date=' I doubt that).[/quote']

As I said before, Sverkos could be another option in my opinion. I like his playing-style, and I think it would suit Bordeaux pretty well. He is also alot cheaper, and wouldn't (of course) say no to a Bordeaux move.

I agree with those two in bold' date=' they should get a chance. They have been impressive whenever I've seen them play. I've never really rated Jussie though, and it is really time to leave Bordeaux in my opinion. Perhaps to Brazil, Spain or some Arab country...? Anyway, good point on Sertic aswell, and I also hope he sure gets some more playing time.[/quote']

I don't really like Jussie either, but truth is that he is no. 1 back up for Gourcuff in Bordeaux. And though he is no where near Gourcuff's level, he does ok job. Of course, I would rather see Sertic as back up for Gourcuff. Way more flair, can do way bigger things on field.

As we speak, it looks like Chamakh's replacement is another Serbian, Dragan Mrdja. Another of Tigana's personal signings. Interesting, he scored 22 goals last season in the Serbian league and has scored 35 goals in the last 2 seasons for his (former from now), Vojodina. Tigana has certainly a good for the Serbian league. First Savic and now Mrdja.

As we speak' date=' it looks like Chamakh's replacement is another Serbian, Dragan Mrdja. Another of Tigana's personal signings. Interesting, he scored 22 goals last season in the Serbian league and has scored 35 goals in the last 2 seasons for his (former from now), Vojodina. Tigana has certainly a good for the Serbian league. First Savic and now Mrdja.[/quote']

These Tigana's transfers come out of nowhere. He seemingly only made buzz about some apparent transfers and then made his real purchases in secret. France media has nothing on Mrdja yet, but wikipedia confirms. How does Tigana know these Serbians so well? I understood these were his picks, not those of Bordeaux scouting. He has been out of couaching duties for few years, perhaps he spent some time in Serbia? Or does he have his special scout there? I have never heard of these players before, but that's apparently only because I don't follow Serbia, because seemingly they both have played for Serbia on some level. I hope Mrdja will do well. And this strongly suggests that Bellion needs to find a new club.

So, something we didn't want to see: Gameiro is asking for a transfer. He says that he wants to move and won't prolong his contract (he still has 2 years left of it). He further announced problem being that Lorient is overpricing him. In current economy of transfer markets, according to Gameiro, €15M is too much for him, and no team will come to bid that much for him.

Ok. On the one hand, Gameiro is right: that money for a guy who hasn't proven internationally, even if he has had two great seasons for a mid-table Ligue 1 team, is too much for any team right now to take the risk. Yet, on the other hand, if you look at it solely from Lorient's perspective, their chances to make it to Europe live and die with Gameiro. They're building their squad to gain some serious success, and even if they must know that they're not going to actually win titles (except perhaps for domestic cups), they value the damage of losing Gameiro to be potentially as high as, well €15M, or at least close to that. It is hrd to say how much money they actually would lose with Gameiro. Ticket sales, fan products, possible qualification to an European Cup, tv-rights after that. Not to mention that if Gameiro will now be selected to those 2 matches of l'EDF, they'll get even more publicity for their star.

According to Christian Gourcuff his son Yoann is not moving this summer, but stays in Bordeaux. He affirms that he visited Manchester and was impressed by City's project, but Yoann is not going there now. Thank you Gourcuff. Bordeaux still has their project for the upcoming season. Now just to win Ligue 1 again and try in CL another time the season after!

Well' date=' I am no expert but both Dalmats (dont know who u are talking about) are getting old and IMO they wont rise again. However, this is only my opinion. I could be wrong :o[/quote']

There's only one Dalmat on the DB that's playing for a club in France and that's Stephane Dalmat.

Yes' date=' but one plays in Belguim and one plays in France. :P[/quote']

Yeah but in your first post u didnt mention that u are talking about the one playing at Rennes :P Anyways, as I said he is relatively old and he may struggle to get game time there. I wouldnt buy him. He doesnt seem likely to rise ever again ;)