Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: Respuesta: French Ligue 1 and 2

Gyan joins Sunderland for over £13' date=' breaking Sunderland's transfer record.[/quote']

I hope Bruce knows what he is doing. I mean, he has been spending big these past two season for side of Sunderland's calibre. I also hope Gyan will do well there, as I reckon he has the pace and strength and therefore he shouldn't have any problems to aclimatize himself to the EPL footie. Hopefully he and Bent will create a strong partnership...

Diakhite to Lyon... finally a defensive signing. :rolleyes:

Good signing. He was great aswell in Nancy a couple of years ago' date=' which also lead him to Ukraine and Dynamo Kiev. Shouldn't have any problems in Lyon in my opinion. I mean, he was in ASSE on loan the second half of last season aswell, and he did tremendous, as he was voted player of the year there. PSG were also interested in Diakhaté, and they had agreed a loan deal for one season with an option to buy him for 5M € after this season. Just the deal PSG were looking for, as they don't have any cash left to spend, but on the last day, Lyon comes in and takes him infront of the eyes of the Parisians. As I said, should do good for Lyon and hopefully Toulalan will be pushed up to the midfield when Cris becomes availble aswell and Cris and Diakhaté should do good together in my opinion.

Plestan leaves for Shalke.

He will be well needed for them, but the question is, is he the right man to solve their defence problems? I don't think he will. I mean, he hasn't been a regular for Lille for some time now, he doesn't speak any German aswell and will therefore find it hard to communicate with the others in the defence. Not saying he is bad, but I don't believe he is the right man to dictace the Schalke defence.

Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: French Ligue 1 and 2

Is Plestan any good Phillipe? I follow Schalke and we desperately need a good centre half and I hoped Plestan could be a decent defender and replace the useless Metzelder.

Not good enough to be starting for Lille. He was a starter two seasons ago, but lost his spot completely last season, playing just 5 games. Last time he played a game was Week 8 of last year.

I hope Bruce knows what he is doing. I mean' date=' he has been spending big these past two season for side of Sunderland's calibre. I also hope Gyan will do well there, as I reckon he has the pace and strength and therefore he shouldn't have any problems to aclimatize himself to the EPL footie. Hopefully he and Bent will create a strong partnership...[/b']

Obviously I hope he fails as a Newcastle fan but I think he will do well,it's just the fact Bruce does overspend an awful lot but Sunderland have an awful lot of money and a really good chairman in Niall Quinn who used to play for them,still for me if teams play a deep line to counteract the pace Gyan and Bent has then I don't think they will get a lot of goals,however if teams play a higher line Gyan and Bent's pace in behind will cause teams nightmares.

Obviously I hope he fails as a Newcastle fan but I think he will do well' date='it'snt has then I don't think they will get a lot of goals,however if teams play a higher just the fact Bruce does overspend an awful lot but Sunderland have an awful lot of money and a really good chairman in Niall Quinn who used to play for them,still for me if teams play a deep line to counteract the pace Gyan and Be line Gyan and Bent's pace in behind will cause teams nightmares.[/quote']

I just don't think Bruce is the right man for them. I mean, he has high pressure on himself now and last season, when they spended big aswell, they finished pretty mediocre. I don't think he will take them to an European place or so, which should be their ambitions considering how much they've spent these two years. I hope I'm wrong though, but I just do not believe in Bruce. The pressure is high, and I don' think he can handle it.

I just don't think Bruce is the right man for them. I mean' date=' he has high pressure on himself now and last season, when they spended big aswell, they finished pretty mediocre. I don't think he will take them to an European place or so, which should be their ambitions considering how much they've spent these two years. I hope I'm wrong though, but I just do not believe in Bruce. The pressure is high, and I don' think he can handle it.[/quote']

Nope neither do I to be honest,his bought the odd good signing but as much as I hate to admit Sunderland are a big club,they have a good sized fanbase a 48,000 seater stadium and money to invest they should really be in and around the European places,Everton are regularly in the top half and they have spent much less money that Sunderland in the last few seasons and they have spent huge amounts of money on Gyan,Bent,Gordon and spent £6 Million on players such as Cattermole,Richardson,Ferdinand,Campbell and Mccartney so that's £70 Million or so spent on players right there and yet I only rate Gyan and Bent out of those mentioned above,I think they need to appoint someone who has a good track record with money and can take them to the next level and Bruce isn't that man to be honest,some of the Sunderland fans are already not happy with him and the fact he was born in Newcastle and said he supports them doesn't help his cause either.

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Just noticed Grégory Sertic has joined Rens on loan' date=' if he get regular football he'll still be in with a shot of rising, but should he be expecting regular football?[/quote']

It's Lens. Anyway, he's the new number 10 of Lens and seen the quality of their attack, I'd say he'll be sure to play an important role for them this season. But no matches have been played since he joined Lens, so we have to wait to see.

Can anyone give me there opinion on Pailo Machado please.

All i know is he's rated 88 and played all of FC Toulouse's game so far.

He's a good player. To bad Porto wanted to give a flopping Argentinian the chance to shine there (Bolatti) than to give a promising youngster (Machado) a chance there a while ago' date=' otherwise I'm sure Machado would have been rated 90+ then. He certainly has the talent, but I doubt he can reach 90 or above that while at TFC. He could get a move in the future and he certainly has the potential of reaching 90+ at the right club. Besides, his free-kicks kind of reminds me of another Portuguese player ;)

Just noticed Grégory Sertic has joined Rens on loan, if he get regular football he'll still be in with a shot of rising, but should he be expecting regular football?

Lens ;)

Talented player, who certainly will get chances to shine at Lens. He has no real competition for a starting place aswell (bar Roudet). But as Roudet also can handle to play on the wing relative well, I'm sure Sertic will have no problems to get a starting spot.

Can Lovren + Gonolons both get to 87/88 come end of season ?

Diakhaté just recently signed for Lyon, and I expect to take a starting spot in the defence alongside Cris, meaning that Toulalan will be pushed up back to his ''real'' position, the midfield. I don't really expect Lovren to be a fully regular, but he should be a regular atleast this month, as both Cris adn Cissokho are out for one full month injured, and with Lovren beeing capable of playing across the whole defence, he should be a starter this month atleast. If he impresses on Puel, who knows then, maybe he'll push out Cris/Cissokho out of the starting eleven. That's highly unlikely though, but he should getting games anyway. In my opinion, Lovren will either rise +1 or stay, with staying beeing the most likeliest.

As Bail said, Gonalons should be rated around 89 by the end of this season.

Respuesta: Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Is Kassim Abdallah a keeper or should i sell him now for a nice profit?

Honestly, I don't know anything about him outside of what stats can say. All I can tell you is that he could rise a couple ratings next time 'round, so I would sell him. You could probably find better risers for his price.

Re: Respuesta: Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Honestly' date=' I don't know anything about him outside of what stats can say. All I can tell you is that he could rise a couple ratings next time 'round, so I would sell him. You could probably find better risers for his price.[/quote']

Doesn't matter, i've got hundreds (literally) of better young players so i'll sell him.

Hey

Worth me keeping Steven Langil. Oliver Giroud' date=' Emmanuel Riviere and Herold Goulon?

Still got them in my squad from they're rise :)[/quote']

I've heard that Goulon is/was a big talent for Le Mans, but it seems that he has got no club. I am waiting for more news on that, as if he is a free agent, he could be picked up by a team outside the transfer window. I have him too, and I will hold onto him for a bit longer. If you could use the cash to buy other players, then do it, but keep him if your in a tough setup.

Respuesta: French Ligue 1 and 2

Some recent news regarding transfers...

Nice and Marseilles have bumped into some trouble, as the latter have not yet made their first payment of the 15 million euro fee they agreed on for Loïc Rémy:

Nice have threatened to put Marseille's participation in the UEFA Champions League in doubt.

The Ligue 1 outfit are furious that the reigning French champions have yet to make the first payment on their €15million capture of Loic Remy.

Marseille snapped up the France international last month' date=' but saw the deal delayed by a previously unidentified heart condition.

Remy has since been given the all-clear, but Marseille are keen to restructure the original agreement.

Nice are not so willing to open talks again and have vowed to report their rivals to Uefa should their demands fail to be met.

"They want to give us a bit more on the re-sale (if Marseille sell Remy to another club) but reduce the bonuses (including payments related to Marseille's Champions League involvement)," managing director Patrick Governatori told Nice-Matin.

"We don't agree. We've refused their proposal. For us it is null and void. If Marseille don't pay us on Monday, we're ready to go to Urfa. It could cost them their participation in the Champions League."

Marseille, though, are refusing to budge and president Jean-Claude Dassier has warned Nice that they should get their own house in order before threatening others.

"They can say what they like, they can do what they like, we're sticking to our position," he told the website of regional newspaper La Provence.

"We'll look at it calmly. They shouldn't be complaining anyway. Their words are one thing, the facts are another. When we signed their player, we did the job that they hadn't done.

"We've made them a proposal and if they sign it they'll get their money. And if we have to explain ourselves to the authorities, we'll explain ourselves.

"OM aren't the guilty party, we're the victim. They can threaten us if they like, but they'd be better off improving their medical staff!"[/quote']

Auxerre, meanwhile, are bringing in Vannes forward Frederic Sammaritano:

Auxerre coach Jean Fernandez hopes he has landed a bargain in Vannes frontman Frederic Sammaritano.

The Ligue 1 giants' date=' who are set to compete in the UEFA Champions League this season, spent much of the summer chasing attacking talent.

They were, however, foiled at every turn, with a number of their top targets proving too costly.

As a result, Fernandez was forced to turn his attention elsewhere, and was drawn to Sammaritano.

The 24-year-old has spent his entire career to date in the lower leagues, taking in spells at Yzeure and Vannes.

He has now been given an opportunity to shine on French football's biggest stage, and Auxerreare hoping their gamble pays off.

"When you have qualified for the Champions League, buying a player becomes difficult," Fernandez told L'Equipe.

"Prices suddenly double. That is why we couldn't sign Chris Malong (Nice) or Mamadou Bah(Strasbourg). At Auxerre you can't do anything on a level playing field.

"It is not the officials who refused to buy those players, I said stop because the prices were too high.

"We have saved some money and I want the players who got us to the Champions League to get the bonuses.

"Sammaritano? People can say what they want, but I assure you he is a good signing for the club. He has the potential to become a Ligue 1 player."[/quote']

Sammaritano plays in the attacking midfield and along the wings, so the signing is only adding to an already loaded attack, which is the kind of thing you need if you're headed for the Champions League. Chafni, Le Tallec, and Birsa all play in that same area, while Licata (injured), Bourgeois (still too young, though), Langil, and Contout, can also play around there. This is in addition to the strikers, Jelen, Oliech, Quercia, and Sanogo. Good to see plenty of quality as well as quantity in this squad.

Toulouse have grabbed 19-year-old forward Santander from Guarani (in Paraguay) on a season-long loan, with an option to buy:

Ligue 1 leaders Toulouse have signed Paraguayan starlet Federico Santander on a season-long loan from Guarani.

Les Violets' date=' who have enjoyed a 100 per cent start to the season, have swooped for the South American to help bolster their attacking ranks.

With Andre-Pierre Gignac having been offloaded to Marseille, a void has been created in the forward department.

Toulouse hope that Santander will prove to be the ideal candidate to help counter the loss of Gignac and usher in a new era.

The 19-year-old is due to see out the remainder of the 2010/11 campaign in France, when Toulouse will be given the option to purchase him on a permanent basis.

It is understood that Santander had the opportunity to move to England over the summer, but has opted for a switch to Ligue 1 as he feels he will be given more opportunities to shine.[/quote']

I'm eager to see this kid in action, but he has Braaten, Tafer, Soukouna, and Pentecote all vying for the ex-Gignac role now. So far it looks like Braaten is going to keep that spot, though, with the three goals he's already bagged.

Arles-Avignon have snatched up another cheap, experienced player in the ex-Real Madrid defender, Francisco Pavon:

Ambitious Ligue 1 newcomers Arles-Avignon have snapped up experienced defender Francisco Pavon.

The French outfit have been busy rebuilding their squad this summer' date=' having secured a shock promotion into the French top flight.

Pavon becomes the 18th new arrival of a hectic transfer window, which Arles hope will allow them to compete among the elite.

They have endured a difficult start to the 2010/11 campaign, losing their opening four fixtures, but have plenty of time in which to pull clear of trouble.

Pavon certainly has the experience to suggest that he could prove to be a shrewd acquisition.

The 30-year-old centre-half is a product of the Real Madrid academy structure and enjoyed a productive six-year stint in the first-team fold at Santiago Bernabeu.

He made over 100 appearances for Los Blancos and helped them to land the 2002 UEFA Champions League crown.

Pavon has spent the last three years turning out for Real Zaragoza, but began to slip down their pecking order last season.

As a result, he is now ready to take on a fresh challenge in France with a side determined to continue punching above their weight.

Meanwhile, Arles have also added Brazilian forward Johnathan to their ranks, with the 19-year-old having joined on loan from Goias.[/quote']

The move still leaves Arles-Avignon with just three center-backs (Pavon, Erbate, Mejia), a left-back (Jean-Alain Fanchone, on a loan deal), a pair of right-backs (Soro). This seems shocking compared to the rest of their squad - four goalkeepers, four CM's, five DM's, three AM's, two wingers, and a herd of forwards (based on SM positions; maybe inaccurate) - but at least a third of these players are incompetent compared to Ligue 1 standards anyway. Although they had a great run of success that brought them from the depths of professional French football to the top tier, I think their dream ends here. They simply lack the star players and the funds to stay in Ligue 1.

Respuesta: French Ligue 1 and 2

Oh, I never got a chance to write about the Euro 2012 qualifier against Belarus, in which France lost 1-0. Here's a video of the highlights (watch in 360p):

c_7fEbyaPj0

We were ridiculously good in the build-up. The movement was fluid, the passing was precise, the plays were creative, the chances were abundant, but the goals ceased to be scored. Nasri and Ben Arfa were both omitted due to injury, and Gameiro had to start on the bench (still not 100% recovered from his injury). I don't think there was anything wrong with the way we played; the Belorussians were simply doing what anyone capable of logical thinking would have done: they had eleven players all in their own box and constructing a meat shield in front of the goal. They had just two or three chances, one shot on target, and a hell of a fluke goal.

A serious of sluggish, unchecked dribbling and rolling around of the ball let a couple of Belorussians bypass the Les Bleus defense, and the rest was predictable enough. It was an awkward goal, considering that our defenders were marking, but not pressuring quite enough; that the scorer was left unmarked by the distracted defense; that the assister received the ball in a possibly offside position; that the player who gave the ball to the assister was offside, but the ball was touched to him by one of the French defenders; and that Clichy, who inadvertently made that touch, was the only Frenchmen that came within three feet of the ball the entire time. A fluke.

Hopefully we don't come into the next game (tomorrow, against Bosnia-Herzegovina) facing another eleven-man defense. And hopefully, we get to see more Gameiro, who to me had the "hustle" last Friday to almost equalize seconds from the full-time whistle. He probably has the most attacking flair among Blanc's forward options. Hoarau is nice in the air and Gignac's a good post-up player (at least in the Ligue), but Gameiro has that Henry-esque exuberance that I think is needed.

Amendments to the squad ahead of the Bosnia-Herzegovina match include the exclusion of Saha, Rémy, and Hoarau, all due to injury. To replace them, Briand and Benzema have been called up (don't know who the third replacement is :confused:).

Here are L'Equipe's line-up predictions:

En 4-2-3-1 : Lloris – Sagna, Mexès, Rami, Clichy – M’Vila, A. Diarra (ou Diaby) – Valbuena, Menez, Malouda – Benzema.

En 4-3-3 : Lloris – Sagna, Mexès, Rami, Clichy – M’Vila, A. Diarra, Diaby – Valbuena, Benzema, Malouda.

Yes, Miralem Pjanic of Lyon has been called up by the Bosnia-Herzegovina team, but it is doubtful that he plays, as he is currently carrying a groin problem.

The move still leaves Arles-Avignon with just three center-backs (Pavon' date=' Erbate, Mejia), a left-back (Jean-Alain Fanchone, on a loan deal), a pair of right-backs (Soro). This seems shocking compared to the rest of their squad - four goalkeepers, four CM's, five DM's, three AM's, two wingers, and a herd of forwards (based on SM positions; maybe inaccurate) - but at least a third of these players are incompetent compared to Ligue 1 standards anyway. Although they had a great run of success that brought them from the depths of professional French football to the top tier, I think their dream ends here. They simply lack the star players and the funds to stay in Ligue 1.[/quote']

They would have done better had they not changed their squad at all than this ridiculous "grab all the players that are free on markets and sell anybody who is approached by any other club" move they did. They've done everything that a just promoted club shouldn't do and find themselves with a really awkward squad filled with retiring has-beens and uninterested mercenaries - and a tactically unwisely built squad as well. They'll only win a game this season if they meet a club in deep crisis and it's safe to say that all the work they have done so far is gone with the wind and they're ready to go straight back to National. Sad, but this is how it is.

Amendments to the squad ahead of the Bosnia-Herzegovina match include the exclusion of Saha' date=' Rémy, and Hoarau, all due to injury. To replace them, Briand and Benzema have been called up (don't know who the third replacement is :confused:).[/quote']

There is none. With 20 players against Bosnia, but hey, Blanc said that his ideal is to have a squad of 18 players. I so hope that Gameiro starts. We need someone who can score. Benz is anotherone who must be used. He is a scorer, a true scorer, a potential big time star who can score goals against anybody, from anywhere.

I'm pretty happy Hoarau is out, no matter how much Blanc likes him, he is a chèvre. And also, I want Trémoulinas instead of Clichy, although it's unlikely to happen.