Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Diarra's also been one of the better Giordins player (and not one of the worst as you state).

Never mind the ratings, Diarra played some good games in early autumn but had an absolutely awful winter. He has been an offensive non event, that's no news, but he hasn't quitedelivered his defensive duties either. What he should be doing is winning ball possession, isn't that right? But he doesn't do that so well these days, there are loads of DM:s doing that better in Ligue 1 right now: Diarra makes a lot of fouls while winning the ball too rarely and he loses awkwardly a lot of balls from which Bordeaux could have had produced some attack. He loses too many midfield battles.

Bordeaux has clearly had 4 players performing very well this season: Fernando, Trémoulinas, Plasil and Carasso. One could add that Modeste has been good too (and he is all the time better, appears to be becoming a very good purchase), and since Chalmé came back from his injury, he has been arguably their best player (but before his injury he played probably his worst football in Ligue 1). But the rest.... Wendel transparent, Jussie, Gouffran, Ben Khal inconsistent and mostly incompetent, both Sanés most of the time lacking the skill, Ducasse, well he's quite good, but mostly on bench, Diarra not good with ball, inefficient in winning it, Ciani, yes, he hasn't been all that good either, but say,a decently well doing CB, consistently nothing special. Every one of these has had his moments: Ciani played few quite fine matches early season (and was very good in Lyon recently), as did Diarra; Ben Khal had few nice performances during winter and Gouffran had few very good matches lately; Jussie has occasionally been decisive with flair; both Sanés have had some excellent matches particularly defence wise. Still,regularly good are only Fernando, Trémoulinas, Plasil, Carasso, Modeste and Chalmé.

Quick answers:

@MaoaM: yes, should rise, maybe 87 for now.

@JeanClaude: seen that Gonalons isn't playing all that much these days, I wouldn't say him going that high.

Hey guys I know nothing about ratings and I need to know if either Gomis or Briand of Lyon will stay or rise to 90.

Gomis has definitely lost his luster, but he will likely stay. He was touted to be in the starting XI for the French national team, paired with Benzema, but both have seemingly fell off the radar. Gomis has been overshadowed by players like Gameiro and even Briand.

Briand is somewhat on the rise, but not enough to warrant a 90. I would prefer Briand over Gomis, though.

In short, both will stay at their current ratings.

Is there any updates on the development of Moussa Sissoko for both Toulouse and the French national setup? Also' date=' how is his Toulouse teammate [b']Capoue[/b] coming along.

Are either of them still worthy investments for the long run in a competitive setup?

Thanks in advance,

Caleb.

Anyone able to help me out please? Thanks.

PS: I checked the stats and both are starters, but I have no idea on them performance-wise.

Never mind the ratings' date=' Diarra played some good games in early autumn but had an absolutely awful winter. He has been an offensive non event, that's no news, but he hasn't quitedelivered his defensive duties either. What he should be doing is winning ball possession, isn't that right? But he doesn't do that so well these days, there are loads of DM:s doing that better in Ligue 1 right now: Diarra makes a lot of fouls while winning the ball too rarely and he loses awkwardly a lot of balls from which Bordeaux could have had produced some attack. He loses too many midfield battles.

Bordeaux has clearly had 4 players performing very well this season: Fernando, Trémoulinas, Plasil and Carasso. One could add that Modeste has been good too (and he is all the time better, appears to be becoming a very good purchase), and since Chalmé came back from his injury, he has been arguably their best player (but before his injury he played probably his worst football in Ligue 1). But the rest.... Wendel transparent, Jussie, Gouffran, Ben Khal inconsistent and mostly incompetent, both Sanés most of the time lacking the skill, Ducasse, well he's quite good, but mostly on bench, Diarra not good with ball, inefficient in winning it, Ciani, yes, he hasn't been all that good either, but say,a decently well doing CB, consistently nothing special. Every one of these has had his moments: Ciani played few quite fine matches early season (and was very good in Lyon recently), as did Diarra; Ben Khal had few nice performances during winter and Gouffran had few very good matches lately; Jussie has occasionally been decisive with flair; both Sanés have had some excellent matches particularly defence wise. Still,regularly good are only Fernando, Trémoulinas, Plasil, Carasso, Modeste and Chalmé.[/quote']

Modeste hasn't been regulary good, not at all. I understand that he isn't used to be playing for a big team, as he has spent the majority of his career at Nice and in Ligue 2. I'm not criticizing him, but to say that he has been consistent is a joke, to be honest. He has been good as of late, with some significant moments earlier this season as well, but to say that he's been good throughout the season is just plain wrong. Tigana even prefered Diabaté - an unpolished, not a player of Bordeaux material even he would fufill his full potential - over Modeste at occasions. I do not intend to say Modeste is an awful player, beacuse he is not, but he definately hasn't been one of the better performers this season. No matter what you say, I won't change my opinion.

I'd also say that Ludovic Sané hasn't been following up last seasons promises mainly beacuse of one thing - he is beeing playing out wide, out of position, that is. We all know he can be a bit clumpsy and a bit rash when he goes into situations. He isn't that speedy as well, so when players such as Lisandro, Nene, Payet or Valbuena is coming at him on the right-flank, he's been exposed not just once - but several times. He'd be better of playing more centrally - as a defender or as a midfielder - where his strength would be better off and where he wouldn't facing players that are way out of his league when it comes to sprit. He'd mostly face target-mens, players who are very strong in their bodies like himself. These Gignac's, Hoarau's, Brandao's and Giroud's are player who matches Sané's stereotype the better and where Sané stands a much bigger chance to excel than what he's done so far this season as a fullback.

It's not easy to do the hard-works on your own, to be honest. Diarra has been doing relatively good on his own if you take a further look on his position and all that. Last year, he generally played with more physical players next to him in the midfield - Sané and Fernando - players who helped out Diarra in backing-up Gourcuff, Plasil and co. This year, Sané's been dragged out wide (as a result of Chalmé's absence) and Fernando's been played in the central-defence (once again, as a result of Chalmé's absence). Alternatively, when Blanc prefered to play Diarra solely in the hole between the rest of the midfielders and the back-four, in-direct running's in Blanc's formation (like Gourcuff, Plasil and Wendel all working home when the opposite side were having the ball possed), made it possible to help out Diarra. It may have looked like a 4-1-3-2 on paper, but with some finess from Blanc's side, Bordeaux, when not in possesion of the ball, played a 4-4-2 formation/4-4-1-1 formation, so Diarra got the help he needed.

This season, though, he hasn't been playing next to physical players such as Fernando and Sané so often, so it's no wonders that Bordeaux has been losing the midfield battles to many teams. The other game, against Lyon, Bordeaux managed to hold up the midfield nicely throughout the game as Fernando and Diarra succesfully managed to hold away Toulalan, Källström and Gourcuff from dominating the midfield totally (even though Lyon and those three were having a good game) - despite Lyon beeing better than Bordeaux throughout the 1st half. Bordeaux, thanks to Diarra and Fernando, managed to hold Gourcuff and co. from completely taking over the game in the 2nd half and was one major reason to why Bordeaux could left that game with their heads held up high.

Gomis has definitely lost his luster' date=' but he will likely stay. He was touted to be in the starting XI for the French national team, paired with Benzema, but both have seemingly fell off the radar. Gomis has been overshadowed by players like Gameiro and even Briand.

Briand is somewhat on the rise, but not enough to warrant a 90. I would prefer Briand over Gomis, though.

In short, both will stay at their current ratings.[/quote']

Gomis' actually been one of the best performers in this season Lyon and has, since a long time ago, done enough to keep his 90. If Lyon could push themselves further onto the CL, he could be very well reaching that 91.

Anyone able to help me out please? Thanks.

PS: I checked the stats and both are starters' date=' but I have no idea on them performance-wise.[/quote']

In my opinion, Sissoko has since the upcome of M'Vila this past season, been slowly headed to the background. He hasn't been playing bad - not at all - he's been playing as good as previous seasons, but with M'Vila playing on the same position, for an arguably bigger team and obviously beeing a member of the current French squad, it's no wonders Sissoko hasn't been gaining as much media-observation as previously. Sissoko is class act, though, and he's been rumored with a move to Bayern, so he, as I stated, hasn't been taking any steps backwards in his career - despite not beeing as constantly followed by the media as previously. Capoué's also been doing well and has been a great performer. I can't see him rising though, as I believe Toulouse rating is capped at 89.

what about edel apoula PSG GK?

Great 'keeper, but he does have an tendency of doing minor errors. Although they may not come so often, PSG has been looking at bringing in a new 'keeper. Mainly beacuse Coupet will retire after the end of this season, but also beacuse of the fact that Edel could be a bit sloppy at occasions. That's why they have been in talks with Douchez - a Paris born 'keeper - who is a quality one as well. Douchez's definately one of the better 'keepers in the league, but in my opinion, PSG should be sticking to Edel. At any other club, Edel would be praised, but at a club like PSG, with heated fans and big pressure, one mistake could make you a target from the fans. He should rise to about 88 if you are thinking SM-wise.

Need up for this.

Also who is better: Gomis' date=' Briand, or Hoarau(In performance wise).[/quote']

For this season, I'd say Gomis' been the better out of the trio. He's been great for OL this season and despite them having some bad moments this season, he's been producing. Infact, he's been scoring and producing goals so much that Lisandro has been put on a flank, which perhaps none would have imagined pre-start of this season. This has made Lyon changed their attacking-trio from the predicted (as of the start of the season) Briand-Lisandro-Bastos to an attacking-formation cosisting of Bastos-Gomis-Lisandro.

Does look bad for l'OM concerning the forthcoming CL match. While ManU was able to rest the first team in a meaningless cup match against a lower division opponent, Les Marseillais played a top clash Ligue 1 match against ASSE - a match that they sure wanted to win, and though they did just that, they lost both their new expensive star strikers, Gignac and Rémy for injuries. Plus probably Brandao. Looks real bad, as Valbuena already is injured and that means that whole first attack line (Valbuena, Gignac, Rémy) is probably injured for the first match against United. As is their currently in good form CF Brandao. That's 4 top forwards injured! Has any team ever played, and survived, CL with 4 top forwards injured same time?

That's already really tough luck, but it also makes me wonder why doesn't FFF plan cup matches for the weekends before important CL clashes like their English counterparts do? Who will OM have in attack against ManU now? Could they have rested their first team this weekend, they would have lined up Gignac-Brandao-Rémy which has been a strong combination lately and was strong combination tonight. Now they only have the Ayew brothers, of whom neither is a true striker but both are rather wingers, A. Ayew being actually rather a midfielder and not a forward at all, though he has played a wing forward in Marseille. If J. Ayew starts as a forward, who are the wingers? His brother and who else?

Manchester United has Christmas very very early this year, it seems to me. I had really thought that the physical, strong, fast and skilled team that Marseille has, particularly as they have a culture of winning with Dechamps, they would have been able to beat currently not-so-impressive Manchester team, but how is that going to happen now, without any forwards??? Does Dechamps have any other options than to line up a defensive XI in order to play 0-0? That's not unlikely result now, and perhaps its the current best case scenario for OM - to just keep the empty net for now and to wait for the return match in order to score an away goal when there are possibly some strikers healthy again.

Lyon at least got to play their game at Friday, though they too lost one main striker, namely Lisandro, though for an injury during training as he wasn't even going to start against Nancy anyway. But they'll play Mourinho, and Mourinho rarely loses. Almost never, to be honest. Real Madrid may have problems, but with Mourinho you always go far in any competition, so I doubt Lyon's chances. They have good history against Real (Lyon has 3 victories and 3 draws from 6 matches against Real in CL, Real having never ever scored at Lyon), but its more difficult now that they play against Mourinho's team. Fortunately Pjanic, Gourcuff and Toulalan seem to be returning in form, and Briand, Bastos, Gomis all are doing very well too and there are no serious injuries aside from Lisandro's, so they at least seem to be fit when meeting Real.

Re: Riferimento: French Ligue 1 and 2

What do you think about revaluetion of DEBUCHY (Lille)' date=' JALLET (PSG), CHRETIEN (Nancy), MENSAH (Lyon), EBONDO (Sant-Etienne)...

I need a good and cheap RB or CB 88+...[/quote']

Chretien is good, but he has suffered injuries. Jallet has been in fire attack wise this and the last season, last season he actually played a lot as a winger. Ebondo is ok, Mensah is absolutely worthless.

My pick would be Debuchy, great RB to both directions. Physical, fast, athletic, good centres, good positioning and tackling. He is third in line currently for the RB position of l'EDF, and it is quite probable that he passes Reveillère soon in picking order and will be preferred to him. Sagna has played well lately, but Debucy is the player who can challenge him. It's like Jallet says that he can't be really compared to Sagna, because compared to Jallet, Sagna is a physical monster. Debuchy, on the other hand, does better in comparison. Neither Debuchy nor Sagna is actually the Wing back (yes, with big W) that Jallet is, but Debuchy does actually support LOSC's attackers very well in game-to-game basis.

However, for the future, you should take a look at Baysse of Brest. He is not only my favourite and French youth international. He is also francefootball.fr's best rated defender of Ligue 1 this season all positions considered. I think he is coming up fast. Too bad Blanc let him go for free without even giving him a chance when he was in Bordeaux.

Does look bad for l'OM concerning the forthcoming CL match. While ManU was able to rest the first team in a meaningless cup match against a lower division opponent' date=' Les Marseillais played a top clash Ligue 1 match against ASSE - a match that they sure wanted to win, and though they did just that, they lost both their new expensive star strikers, Gignac and Rémy for injuries. Plus probably Brandao. Looks real bad, as Valbuena already is injured and that means that whole first attack line (Valbuena, Gignac, Rémy) is probably injured for the first match against United. As is their currently in good form CF Brandao. That's 4 top forwards injured! Has any team ever played, and survived, CL with 4 top forwards injured same time?[/quote']

So, finally Valbuena, Rémy and Brandao are in the squad against ManU. However, Rémy and Brandao only restarted training today I think, and Valbuena might not be fit to start the match. Dechamps must take a risk and let at least one or two of them to play this match injured. My guess is that Brandao starts, because he is the natural CF l'OM has currently and he is alo to my knowledge the one who picked the least serious injury. I assume Valbuena starts on bench, which is bad, because in my opinion he would be the decisive player. Rémy of course would be the strong and fast player to challenge the English defenders (or actually the fellow Frenchman Evra), but if he is still slightly injured, then his physical presence of course will be a significantly lesser factor.

Riferimento: Re: Riferimento: French Ligue 1 and 2

Chretien is good' date=' but he has suffered injuries. Jallet has been in fire attack wise this and the last season, last season he actually played a lot as a winger. Ebondo is ok, Mensah is absolutely worthless.

My pick would be Debuchy, great RB to both directions. Physical, fast, athletic, good centres, good positioning and tackling. He is third in line currently for the RB position of l'EDF, and it is quite probable that he passes Reveillère soon in picking order and will be preferred to him. Sagna has played well lately, but Debucy is the player who can challenge him. It's like Jallet says that he can't be really compared to Sagna, because compared to Jallet, Sagna is a physical monster. Debuchy, on the other hand, does better in comparison. Neither Debuchy nor Sagna is actually the Wing back (yes, with big W) that Jallet is, but Debuchy does actually support LOSC's attackers very well in game-to-game basis.

However, for the future, you should take a look at Baysse of Brest. He is not only my favourite and French youth international. He is also francefootball.fr's best rated defender of Ligue 1 this season all positions considered. I think he is coming up fast. Too bad Blanc let him go for free without even giving him a chance when he was in Bordeaux.[/quote']

You think so:

Debuchy (Lille) + +

Jallet (PSG) ?

Chretien (Nancy) +

Ebondo (Sant-Etienne) +

Mensah (Lyon->Sunderland) - -

And what do you think about Etienne Capoue (Toulouse)?

To ask the Ligue 1 experts' date=' is Toulalan a stayer? He seems to have lost (or not?) his starting spot for les Bleus. I understand his form for Lyon was bad for the first half-year. Can anyone shed extensive light into this?[/quote']

He was available for selection for the Brazil friendly after suspension, but wasn't selected. Blanc seems to prefer Diarra and M'Vila at DM, and they haven't done badly together. Blanc won't drop Diarra - he's been captaining the side lately, so I think it depends on how M'Vila does. Interested to see the squad Blanc picks for the next competitive game at the end of March, that could shed more light on his national team future, but it seemed to be a strong squad Blanc picked against Brazil, so I'm not too sure.

Toulalan wasn't playing that well for the first few games of the year, when he was playing at CB. Really looked out of his depth for me. Since he moved back to DM, with Diakhaté or Lovren playing at CB, he's been playing fine. Personally think he's good enough to stay, but not sure how SM are going to view his national team situation. To give 1 example, Sebastian Frey hadn't been part of the national team, and maintained a 93 rating until recently, most likely dropped to 92 because of club form, so I think Toulalan has a better chance to stay, but wouldn't rule out a drop either.

Hi Didi. Don't know if you're still about, but if you are I have a question. Its about Lorient's 3 players, Bourilion, Ecule Manga and Kitambala. Are they all playing well? Is Manga and Bourilion been playing well? What would you envisage them getting as a rating? they've all played a lot this season..

Thanks.