Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

There was a question here about the perfect starting XI for France. This is a very difficult question. Which perfect? Like the best 11 French players atm? Or the team that would play best right now? If that's the case, then against whom? Or the one that has the most potential? One that we should build on for 2016? Or maybe the one for the forthcoming friendly match?

The last one I trust Deschamps a lot on. In fact, I think Deschamps will do the right decisions in general. But okay. Against Italy, I want to see particularly Lloris, Gourcuff and Giroud starting. Lloris has been amazing, not only against Spain, he made great saves against Belarus and Finland as well. Two saved penalties already. No need to drop him yet, in fact, this serves to get him some time on field. Gourcuff must be brought back again, so let him start and play as the playmaker. Finally, Giroud must be tried as a starter again. I think the Italy match should be taken seriously and thus would like also to see Ménez, Ribéry and Valbuena all playing with Giroud at some point. However, Deschamp's choice of selecting Payet was a good one. Payet has been excellent this season, he has pretty much been the only seriously dangerous player in Lille's attack. But what i don't like is that Deschamps goes with a XI full of substitutes, because then it kind of does not really serve getting these tried players to get time with the actual squad. Finally I would have liked to see him selecting Le Tallec. Finally, that was not even possible due to him being injured, but I don't think it was even in papers. I'd really like to see Le Tallec having his chance.

Okay, for perhaps the best XI to build on, it is hard to say. Let's try:

Lloris on goal. This is inevitable, his talent has not gone anywhere. meanwhile, if he continues not to play, one must go for Ruffier instead.

In central defence I have really liked Yanga-Mbiwa - Sakho pair, but would like to see Koscielny there too. Stambouli and Varane are other interesting players, but Varane is not yet a starter. So, I would compose the centre out of Kos, the Montpellier defenders and Sakho. Stambouli has been in such a good form that I would actually like to see him starting for France at least once. He has been even better than Yanga-Mbiwa. Meanwhile, Kos has serious experience. On the other hand, the other pair already worked well. The Sakho-Kos did not work to perfection, but was good enough against really strong opponent. Which is an argument for sticking with it. Nevertheless, I would maybe want to see Stambouli with Kos. Hard to say if that would work, but Stambouli has been hot this season.

For the laterals, I think Debuchy has deserved his first place, but if Sagna comes back, he is hard to pass. Still, at the moment it must be Debuchy. On the left, Evra was awesome against Spain on the second half and seems to turn up to big matches, but still, he has been generally woeful. My pick would be Clichy seconded by Trémoulinas who is in all silence having again a wonderful season. He brings wery interesting option in any case. I would love to see him playing the same flank with Ribéry, they'd be lethal.

The midfield. I liked Mavuba the last man on midfield, and he works well with Cabaye, so those two would start for me. Then, i would like to see Gourcuff as the playmaker. Maybe they overlap a bit in qualities with Cabaye, but they were also a successful pair for les bleuets once. Now, there are interesting options in Valbuena (for Gourcuff mainly) Diaby (for anybody, but switching the roles of others respectively) and Capoue (for Mavuba mostly) that should be used. Finally, Gonalons has showed he can take the defensive duties as well.

In attack we are more clear. Firstly, left flank is owned by Ribéry. We have interesting option in Payet, but Ribéry should start. Secondly, in the middle Benzema is kind of obvious choice. However, I'm not really happy with him and Giroud should have an argument for starting and against some opponents he is could be clearly better option. On the other hand, I'd still like to see Le Tallec tried. Rémy will have his word as well. Finally, on the right flank I would definitely stick with Ménez. There are few players who penetrate the defence as well as he does. He is an extremely dangerous player to have in the team and against Spain he also defendedd fiercely. Now, you can always throw Valbuena up the right flank if you need, or Ben Arfa for a different option, although I think both of them are better in the middle. As is Nasri. In some cases a 4-4-2 should be tried with Benzema-Giroud upfront and Ribéry as the left midfield.

As you see, I have hard time to come up with a perfect lineup. Maybe if I put my mind into it I could figure it out, but I feel that there are different conditions and options that cannot be chosen on in an absolute manner.

........................with the actual squad. Finally I would have liked to see him selecting Le Tallec. Finally' date=' that was not even possible due to him being injured, but I don't think it was even in papers. I'd really like to see Le Tallec having his chance.

[/quote']

wow. after seeing him struggle on at Liverpool with Sinama Pongolle is he finally delivering something of promise!?!

see he has made a nice start to life at Valenciennes but to a level he is in for a shout for Les Bleus?

wow. after seeing him struggle on at Liverpool with Sinama Pongolle is he finally delivering something of promise!?!

see he has made a nice start to life at Valenciennes but to a level he is in for a shout for Les Bleus?

Yes. In my opinion he should be tried. He should have been a few years ago when he played for Le Mans' date=' in fact. But now more than ever. I base this on two things:

1. There has never been any doubt of his talent, he has individual skills as good as any, really. It is not as if he was just badly scouted at 17, as usually, the top prospects are the top talents, but it is also not as if their career progress only reflected their talent, it also reflects the way things are dealed with them afterwards. So it is only a question of whether he can deliver his potential on the pitch. And as he is delivering now, I don't think that merely because he had problems for quite a many years we should overlook his talent. He is only one year older than Gomis, definitely more talented, and right now playing much better.

2. L'EDF needs a forward that [i']scores goals[/i]. That's what Le Tallec is doing. He just can't stop scoring. He is very clever and fast in his moves, gets rid of his man marker, is able to take his player one against one and make himself space, and most importantly: shoots to score. He scores with head, both feet. Be it that a few goals have been easy chances and that he has fumbled some as well, I retain that he gets those chances and that he scores pretty much in every match. Now, add to that the fact that he has a career as a AM and winger, and is a very creative player, producing chances to others all the time (for Valenciennes, 1.2 key passses per match and so far 2 assists in 6 matches), he can be extremely useful. Of course, Valenciennes is free scoring with or without him, and it is thus not only because of him that he scores. Still, they score more with him and he also scored the goals for Auxerre (in Ligue 2), a team that without him hardly knows where the goal is. So, I think he is worth a shout.

The bottom line is, objectively there are two facts on his side: 1. he is the French striker most in-form at the moment, doing the thing that we are not getting from others in l'EDF, that is, scoring goals. 2. The main problem for Les Bleus at the moment is finishing, we should have won all matches with a nice margin but we fail to use our chances. So, you combine these and it seems like he would be a valid option to fix the problem. Meanwhile, you cannot lose anything by trying him in a friendly match, and instead that could give some further rise to his career. I recall I said this back when he was at Le Mans, that he should be supported, because he is one of the best talents there are and when he was playing very well back then, and l'EDF was doing badly anyway, it would have been profitable to rise his profil a bit to attract interest from bigger clubs. We have this great talent who has for his career been unused, not providing what was expected. Now that we seriously need that talent and he would be providing, we would be stupid not to give it a chance. It is kind of like with Spain and Arteta with only the differrence that Spain doesn't need a player like Arteta all that much.

is Grzegorz KRYCHOWIAK from Reims worth a pick? how good is he?

Nice that you asked. He was actually one of those top talents that Bordeaux just let walk without being given a chance. A Bordeaux youth product from age of 16 or 15 I think. Was great on loan for both Reims and Nantes. I recall he was the player of the year in Reims when he was still like 19 or 20 year old. Still didn't win him a run in Bordeaux.

He has been one of the best defensive players of Ligue 1 this season. Massive numbers in tackles and winning aerial duels, as well as in the number and accuracy of long balls. He also is a Poland international and I reckon will have a nice international career. I think he used to captain their U19's or something, but my memory may fail me here.

Wait a while and I come up with one nice statistic I spotted earlier this year. It is just one match, but there are other similar ones.

Edit. Actually he apparently only played in the U20's and U21's, but I'm sure he impressed there. When played U20's he was still eligible to U19's and he got to the A team when he was still eligible to U21's and so on.

Nice that you asked. He was actually one of those top talents that Bordeaux just let walk without being given a chance. A Bordeaux youth product from age of 16 or 15 I think. Was great on loan for both Reims and Nantes. I recall he was the player of the year in Reims when he was still like 19 or 20 year old. Still didn't win him a run in Bordeaux.

He has been one of the best defensive players of Ligue 1 this season. Massive numbers in tackles and winning aerial duels' date=' as well as in the number and accuracy of long balls. He also is a Poland international and I reckon will have a nice international career. I think he used to captain their U19's or something, but my memory may fail me here.

Wait a while and I come up with one nice statistic I spotted earlier this year. It is just one match, but there are other similar ones.

Edit. Actually he apparently only played in the U20's and U21's, but I'm sure he impressed there. When played U20's he was still eligible to U19's and he got to the A team when he was still eligible to U21's and so on.[/quote']

Watched a piece focused on him on canal + some weeks ago, and although these were highlights of him on his best days he actually came up as someone who wins most of his tackles cleanly and who can "relance" the game forward pretty well. He's been in France for quite some time and speaks good french too!

Really looking forward to him in that midfield role just in front of the back four this season. And it won't be long before he moves club too.

On another note didi, how is Corgnet faring at Lorient this season? I haven't been able to watch any of their games till now. And now with the return of Gourcuff and the pretty good performances from Malbranque, what does these mean for Gernier in the near future?

Watched a piece focused on him on canal + some weeks ago' date=' and although these were highlights of him on his best days he actually came up as someone who wins most of his tackles cleanly and who can "relance" the game forward pretty well. He's been in France for quite some time and speaks good french too!

Really looking forward to him in that midfield role just in front of the back four this season. And it won't be long before he moves club too.[/quote']

He has played in defence and defensive midfield. Check his stats in this match for example, it was early on against Sochaux, but you get similar stuff in other matches too:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/608639/LiveStatistics/France-Ligue-1-2012-2013-Reims-Sochaux

Okay, he played in central defence with Fofana. They won combined 16 aerial duels (Krycho 6/8, Fo 10/12!). Now, opposite GK Cros tried as many as 23 long balls, 10 won by his players. Generally, Sochaux long ball accuracy was woeful. They tried very few crosses, so effect to that remains unclear. But worth noting is that their striker Bakambu also won nice 5 aerials, but also lost 6, so this was an important battle, a lot of high balls to Reims' end and these defenders were truly dominant in that. Note that only 4 of their players won aerial duels, combined number being 20, so the central defence pair took 80% of them. CB's tend to take their fair share of aerials but this is already anomalous.

Meanwhile, Reims actually played a long ball tactic. They played 73 long balls and 5 through balls. Only 14 of their long balls missed the target. So they gave 59 accurate long passes. Another team that tried quite a few long balls that round, Toulouse, that gave 67 long passes, also missed 25 of them, making it only 42 successful. Now, if you look at those stats, Krycho gave 22 long passes out of which 19 were accurate. Second was Devaux with 10/14, def. partner Fofana less important, 7/8. This was not as if they would have been profiting from a massive target man like Giroud, only forward that won aerial duels was Fauvergue with 3/6. Instead, these were played to players to take the on feet. You can quite easily see that he was like the turning point of the game, there to stop opponents attacks and immediately to open the game way forward. You can add to this his more normal 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 blocks, and 6 clearances (4 effective). Not once dispossessed, no turnovers, one shot.

This was of course quite extraordinary match in Ligue 1, not often such long ball game. Diring game probably due to Corchia being sent off early on.

On another note didi' date=' how is Corgnet faring at Lorient this season? I haven't been able to watch any of their games till now. And now with the return of Gourcuff and the pretty good performances from Malbranque, what does these mean for Gernier in the near future?[/quote']

Nothing. he will still get his fair share of minutes, especially as OL does well in EL. He was their top player before his injury. On a sad side note he might get even more field time if Gourcuff is sold in January.

Watched a piece focused on him on canal + some weeks ago' date=' and although these were highlights of him on his best days he actually came up as someone who wins most of his tackles cleanly and who can "relance" the game forward pretty well. He's been in France for quite some time and speaks good french too!

Really looking forward to him in that midfield role just in front of the back four this season. And it won't be long before he moves club too.[/quote']

He has played in defence and defensive midfield. Check his stats in this match for example, it was early on against Sochaux, but you get similar stuff in other matches too:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/608639/LiveStatistics/France-Ligue-1-2012-2013-Reims-Sochaux

Okay, he played in central defence with Fofana. They won combined 16 aerial duels (Krycho 6/8, Fo 10/12!). Now, opposite GK Cros tried as many as 23 long balls, 10 won by his players. Generally, Sochaux long ball accuracy was woeful. They tried very few crosses, so effect to that remains unclear. But worth noting is that their striker Bakambu also won nice 5 aerials, but also lost 6, so this was an important battle, a lot of high balls to Reims' end and these defenders were truly dominant in that. Note that only 4 of their players won aerial duels, combined number being 20, so the central defence pair took 80% of them. CB's tend to take their fair share of aerials but this is already anomalous.

Meanwhile, Reims actually played a long ball tactic. They played 73 long balls and 5 through balls. Only 14 of their long balls missed the target. So they gave 59 accurate long passes. Another team that tried quite a few long balls that round, Toulouse, that gave 67 long passes, also missed 25 of them, making it only 42 successful. Now, if you look at those stats, Krycho gave 22 long passes out of which 19 were accurate. Second was Devaux with 10/14, def. partner Fofana less important, 7/8. This was not as if they would have been profiting from a massive target man like Giroud, only forward that won aerial duels was Fauvergue with 3/6. Instead, these were played to players to take the on feet. You can quite easily see that he was like the turning point of the game, there to stop opponents attacks and immediately to open the game way forward. You can add to this his more normal 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 blocks, and 6 clearances (4 effective). Not once dispossessed, no turnovers, one shot.

This was of course quite extraordinary match in Ligue 1, not often such long ball game. Diring game probably due to Corchia being sent off early on.

On another note didi' date=' how is Corgnet faring at Lorient this season? I haven't been able to watch any of their games till now. And now with the return of Gourcuff and the pretty good performances from Malbranque, what does these mean for Gernier in the near future?[/quote']

Nothing. he will still get his fair share of minutes, especially as OL does well in EL. He was their top player before his injury. On a sad side note he might get even more field time if Gourcuff is sold in January.

It is so frustrating that Valbuena so rarely takes free kicks for France. It is clear that he is the best in it. Yet all coaches insist on some Nasri or Ribéry or even Benzema. I don't remember that any one of them would have scored a free kick for France. Perhaps Ribéry or Nasri has sometime assisted one.

On a side note, Ribéry has "two faces". One combines beautiful art of football with relentless fight. Pretty much the player any coach would like in his team. And the other one is like definition of hipster: ugly and dysfunctional. Guess which one showed up tonight.

Edit. apparently I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Nice passing, boys! Well deserved goal. Ménez and Gomis, who just came in for ineffective Ribéry and Giroud, made this one. Ménez ran through the defence, played behind to Evra, who passed to Gomis through 3 Italian defenders to let Gomis tap it in almost from the goal line. Effective substitutions, DD!

Edit: on second look, Evra didn't precisely pass, but tried to shoot to the bottom right corner and Gomis ran to cut the trajectory and tap the ball in. Evra's shot would have missed the net.

Here are the goals:

http://www.footballtarget.com/2012/11/italy-1-2-france-highlights-replay-video-friendly-match/

Valbuena's at about 0:22. That is a beauty. Watch the full highlight on it. Magic!

Obraniak's goal yesterday

GpDfuug_jVo

Obraniak is another man of beautiful goals. His career goals would be highlight reel stuff. He has one heck of a left foot. You give him that much space on that distance, you are asking for it.

Ibra's goal: fantastic! And the whole 4 goal show against England. The guy really has fire in him, I think moving to Paris was really good for him, he seems more enthusiastic than I've seen him a long time now. Maybe last time when he played in Inter under Mourinho? Maybe not even then. He is like born a new. Although, he has always been really top. It has been noticed, that he really is a player that makes difference. Of course, the league titles already prove it, but also: teams that he has joined have always made at least 9 points more than the season before, and when he has left, the team he left has made at minimum 7 points less than when he was there. These are the smallest margins from his history.

That really proves it: Zlatan makes difference. However, PSG might become the first club where he fails to make that difference. PSG currently has something like 6 points less than same time last season. Also scored less goals, has less victories, has conceded more, trailing in all stats.

Anyway, that goal, it was extraordinary. The intelligence to stop and wait for Hart to play it, as he knew Hart could not take it in hands. The confidence to play it fast and the skill to actually be able to shoot it into the net like that. But you have to state the obvious: Hart and Baines deserve all the blame for that to happen.

I dont watch Ligue 1 at all so I am not familiar with anything that has to do with the league :o

Can someone tell me how Basa, Beria, Moreno, Payet, RouxPedretti, Balmont, Chejdou are doing? ( You can kep it simple by just posting the name and any rating change :o)

Btw whats happened to Remy?

Pastore is proving yet again how extremely worthless he is ! Sell the moron !

I just saw the result, and you managed to lose to a 9 man Rennes at home? Oh là là!

Pastore, however, apparently hit the post, assisted the goal and was stats wise about the best player of the match. I have not seen the match, but seen how much he got done, I'd not blame him for your defeat.

It is funny, when already strong teams get a superstar player, it often happens that a team that previously was winning without him, becomes dependent of him. Seems that this is happening with PSG and Ibrahimovic.

Edit: okay, I see what you meant, but come on, I'm not a fan of his either, but do not blame him for the whole match because of one miss.

Anyway, it is soooo nice to see PSG losing. Oh yeah. Now three consecutive Ligue 1 matches without victory, 2 defeats, one draw. Even tonight's opponent, Rennes is within one point distance. If Lyon ans Marseille win tomorrow, they will pass by PSG in points and still have one match in the pocket. Oh yeah. Kombouaré's PSG > Ancelotti's PSG. Regardless of the immense recruitment. I've been defending Ancelotti, saying that he is the right coach for PSG, but maybe we should admit it that he is not as good as Kombouaré.

On a side note, PSG is apparently getting another Brasilian international, Paulinho. No idea whether he is good, but I find the squad already kind of packed.

Barton just freaking escaped a red card. I start to understand where his reputation comes from and why people here think he is an utter dick. Could well have injured Balmont badly there and he bloody knew it, there was no point in that whole tackle. Just when Lille finally has got almost the full squad fielded again.

Talking of which, Mavuba is back! basically just Mendes is missing.

Doubt you're watching the game.

And Didi ! WONDERFUL to see Mavuba back in action !

Yes it is - but your praise of Landreau was nevertheless a huge exaggeration. He has been utter garbage for whole season so far, except for like 2 matches.

By the way, it is too bad that Lille missed a bunch of their most important players just when they most needed them. Well, for the rest of the season it is at least clear: only the league to play for and if the injuries for the main actors (Debuchy, Mavuba, Chedjou, Basa and so on) were mostly there, then they should have their chances.

Yes it is - but your praise of Landreau was nevertheless a huge exaggeration. He has been utter garbage for whole season so far' date=' except for like 2 matches.

By the way, it is too bad that Lille missed a bunch of their most important players just when they most needed them. Well, for the rest of the season it is at least clear: only the league to play for and if the injuries for the main actors (Debuchy, Mavuba, Chedjou, Basa and so on) were mostly there, then they should have their chances.[/quote']

I'd say about 4-5 games, but the rest he's been garbage I agree.

But still, the saves he amounts to when he actually plays at the top of his game is complete worldclass.

And I exaggerated on purpose :P