Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Anyone know what the mid term prospects are of this guy?

Vincent ABOUBAKAR of Valenciennes' date=' I have him in a set-up but he has decent p/e value so could easily switch him out if he is a duffer, I haven't saw him play at all just read his stats.

thoughts are appreciated.[/quote']

I don't play the game nor know his rating there, but seen that he is still quite young and likely to replace Aubameyang at St.-Étienne, I would perhaps wait for that. If he plays EL with ASSE next season, and they have another successful season, his rating should plausibly go up from whatever it is at lower mid-table Valenciennes.

I don't play the game nor know his rating there' date=' but seen that he is still quite young and likely to replace Aubameyang at St.-Étienne, I would perhaps wait for that. If he plays EL with ASSE next season, and they have another successful season, his rating should plausibly go up from whatever it is at lower mid-table Valenciennes.[/quote']

Thanks mate appreciated, he is 85 rated at the minute but if he does get to St.-Étienne that should help his cause I will hold back on him, cheers.

1. Stéphane Ruffier. One of the best GK's around. Commanding' date=' strong guy, who constantly throws the ball to opponent's half of field. Also a strong shot stopper. Easily better than Landreau, and arguably also better than Mandanda. Extremely strong personality, it seems.[/quote']

This, thank goodness, is true today: Landreau injured, Ruffier called!

It is improbable, but I hope he'll get fielded too.

Ok thanks' date=' looks like Soccerway have it wrong.

SO ASSE made Europa :)[/color']

Sorry, have to correct. ASSE do make Europa, not because being fifth, but because they are cup winners. The 5 best get there this season, because the fifth won the league cup. By cup winners above, I meant the winner Bordeaux-Evian clash in French Cup.

So, generally: 1-2 CL, 3 CL qualification, 4 EL, both cup winners EL.

Sorry for giving a confusing answer before. Or, in fact, re-reading your question, obviously a wrong one.

Sorry' date=' have to correct. ASSE do make Europa, not because being fifth, but because they are cup winners. The 5 best get there this season, because the fifth won the league cup. By cup winners above, I meant the winner Bordeaux-Evian clash in French Cup.

So, generally: 1-2 CL, 3 CL qualification, 4 EL, both cup winners EL.

Sorry for giving a confusing answer before. Or, in fact, re-reading your question, obviously a wrong one.[/quote']

No prob, just wanted to be sure that ASSE made it

:)

No prob' date=' just wanted to be sure that ASSE made it

:)[/color']

They did. They could have afforded to lose to LOSC, which makes it even more cruel to Lille to concede that place to Nice. But Nice certainly didn't steal it, they fully deserved it. They didn't even appeal Eysseric's harsh ban, but played without him instead.

They made the Third qualifying round' date=' so still a bit of work to do to actually make it there :)[/quote']

True that, league cup winners don't go straight to the EL. Nice, too, has to take the playoffs first.

I'd love it if they'd be banned from next season ...

Falcao' date='Moutinho,Carvalho,Rodriguez in Ligue 2 ... :D[/quote']

I think, if they lose, they'll just accept to pay the taxes like everybody else. They won't go down to Ligue 2. It would be lovely though, but I prefer to see 1) them paying taxes to France, 2) them being in difficulties in Ligue 1 despite massive spending.

that's a bit curious ' date=' when they didn't have big money was ok , now....[/quote']

Once again, it has never been okay, has been complained for a long time, but recent financial changes have made it even more atrocious. When everybody else pays 75% for >€1M income, and they nothing*, and in current, inflated markets where all star players will make >€3M/year, it simply does not work. If they want to play in France, then let them pay in France.

*There are some forms of taxation in Monaco as well, e.g. profit, but income is not taxed. Basically, in most cases the club will pay the new 75% extra tax in France, and Zlatan, for example, to my understanding has a contract that says his net wage, so that the club pays the taxes, no matter what. ASM does not currently have to care about such taxes. They also do not make profit, they live on the money of the owner, so I'd imagine they pay no or close to no taxes at all, but am not sure if there's something they will pay to Monaco.

I think' date=' if they lose, they'll just accept to pay the taxes like everybody else. They won't go down to Ligue 2. It would be lovely though, but I prefer to see 1) them paying taxes to France, 2) them being in difficulties in Ligue 1 despite massive spending.[/quote']

I read that they asked for 600+ million Euros to be paid over next however so many years but Monaco supposedly said they were being held to ransom and taking it to higher court to have it resolved but it was early morning reading so not sure the exact wording.

I believe a resolution must be made either the pay a lump sum 'bribe' and get a few years stay of execution as they say or Monaco will just have to flat out tow the line the same as every other team in France Ligue 1 as surely they cannot support that team in the Ligue 2.

Unless they apply to Join the English Premier haha they have two Welsh teams so a French club might fit in, well another French club if you include Le Toon [Newcastle].

To an outsider it does add to the drama that is unfolding in the 'new money' revolution that has infested itself in the French football of late.

I read that they asked for 600+ million Euros to be paid over next however so many years but Monaco supposedly said they were being held to ransom and taking it to higher court to have it resolved but it was early morning reading so not sure the exact wording.

I believe a resolution must be made either the pay a lump sum 'bribe' and get a few years stay of execution as they say or Monaco will just have to flat out tow the line the same as every other team in France Ligue 1 as surely they cannot support that team in the Ligue 2.

Unless they apply to Join the English Premier haha they have two Welsh teams so a French club might fit in' date=' well another French club if you include Le Toon [Newcastle'].

To an outsider it does add to the drama that is unfolding in the 'new money' revolution that has infested itself in the French football of late.

This is what is disputed. If they play Ligue 1 as a French club, why don't they pay tax as every one else does? And if they are not French, then on what right do they demand to be able to play in French league anyway? If they are indeed a foreign club, then on what basis can they claim an unconditional right to play in French leagues? It is pretty much the same as if they claimed the right to play in EPL, in fact.

...except, there is one thing I do not know well here, and it is the Franco-Monegasque tax convention. If that entitles them to unconditionally play in French football leagues somehow, then it's another business, but should they win their case on EU internal market law, then any team in any EU country could claim right to play in any league in EU, while residing in their state of origin. That will not happen. It is the treaties between France and Monaco that might have something, but without that there cannot be case. Other than that, it is a permission they have been unilaterally given and can be unilaterally taken away. But we'll wait for the decision.

The current awakening against tax havens, to which Monaco has been counted officially, despite recent collaborations, might work against them in this case.

It is particularly disliked in Ligue 1, that they are only buying South Americans who will not pay any taxes to France. Would they sign French players, these would, according to the treaty and to my understanding of it, keep on paying taxes to France. This is the good side for the French clubs: they won't lose the products of their academies to ASM for taxation reasons.