Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Lyon lose to Lens @ home not going good is it.

Not going well at all. That's sad, because one has to love the way they build on their own academy there. I really hope the best success for them, but it seems too complicated now. It is kind of understandable, though. Look at their squad in Romania tonight:

Lopes, Gorgelin - Mocio, Zeffane, Dabo, Jallet, B. Koné, Labidi - Tolisso, Gonalons, Bahlouli, Malbranque, Mvuemba, Danic - Benzia, Lacazette, Njié, N'Gouma

That's almost only youth players. Out of the experienced ones, Malbranque is quite close to the end of his career and Danic hardly played last season; Dabo got a knock in last match and is not fully fit, but hasted back, and don't get me started about Koné, who is hardly a Ligue 2 player; only Jallet, Gonalons and Lacazette are serious major players, and the latter two are still young. None of them are established internationals, although indubitably are of international level.

These youngsters are no doubt talented, but they're nevertheless youngsters. They will make mistakes in lack of experience, some of them still have to get used to the pace of the adult top level game.

In addition, some of the best of them are injured too. Like Umtiti in defence, and Fekir in midfield, and now Yattara in attack. The injuries seem to accumulate to three positions:

-CB's Bisevac, Umtiti, Rose (got a harsh red card in first match, also has played with a knock)

-Playmakers Gourcuff, Grenier, Fekir

The left back has been also quite unfortunate position. First Bedimo, then Umtiti, then Dabo, who now plays with injury.

Already in first match against Giurgiu, Grenier played with injury. Rose has had to play with a knock because Umtiti is injured. It's hard to do very well when you struggle with that much injuries, especially all to same positions, in already very inexperienced squad? Take an example of what I mean. Tolisso is a very promising young midfielder and has made a good RB, but playing LB against Giurgiu, he was found completely out of position often, especially in the 1-1 goal, and who was there to back him up: the lame excuse for a CB that goes by the name of Bakary Koné! Read = when Tolisso, midfielder by trade, was found out of position on his left back post, there was no backup for him. This is how bad the situation has gone in Lyon.

That said, I think the skill level of even this OL team is way better than that of their Romanian opponents. The problem is just that their opponents are experienced, they have habit of winning games and scoring goals in adult football. It really is a big deal. Most of them are at the peak of their careers and have a habit of winning games in league.

@Didi,I think this is 1st or 2nd year in Europe for Astra.I don't think anyone would've complained if Astra would've won with 3 or even 4-1.They missed chance after chances and outplayed Lyon pretty easily.They just been the better team.That's it.

@Didi' date='I think this is 1st or 2nd year in Europe for Astra.I don't think anyone would've complained if Astra would've won with 3 or even 4-1.They missed chance after chances and outplayed Lyon pretty easily.They just been the better team.That's it.[/quote']

You clearly didn't see the match. OL could have well been up by 3 before the half-time if Lacazette had had his scoring shoes on. They will regret that they didn't take their chances in the first period when Giurgiu was quite non-existant, because then the match would have been finished. On the second half, Giurgiu exploited the space behind Tolisso and created chances on counter from there. About their every attack came from punting a long ball (not a long pass, a long ball to empty space) behind Tolisso and outrunning Koné for it. OL sure should have fixed that, but didn't, and I'm not sure if I can really blame Fournier for that, as he just didn't have any other LB's and CB's left and you can't turn a midfielder into a good LB in just one match time. And no matter how much time, you can't turn Koné into a good CB.

It is pretty clear that the Giurgiu is not the better team. It has three starters who come from France after failing to make it on any level. These are proven to be weak players, and in the match, their touch to the ball, their general clumsiness, proved that well. Instead, now they have a lot of adult level competitive match experience, and have won a lot of matches. Even if the level is not massive, it is still competitive professional football. The OL kids do not have professional football experience. Still, after going one man and one goal down from the penalty, OL was still able to produce the best chances, even hitting the bar, and if the kids that play tonigh are able to play on the level of their skills, they should still be able to beat Giurgiu and advance. The problem is just that it's going to be 5-6 players with hardly a handful of matches of adult football, and when they have to look to bench for options (it has been well proven that making early substitutions, at about 45-60 minutes, is important for success), there will be players with less than a match of adult football behind them. They will need a lot of guidance from the experienced players, but sadly half of them are backup/unwanted players like Danic, Koné and Mvuemba.

So, it is very difficult for OL right now, but it is really hard to blame Fournier for it.

So' date=' Zlatan and Silva both injured. Maybe it's good that happens this early to the season, so the team can develop game independently of both.[/quote']

Back to this. Zlatan is about to return, which of course is good for PSG. Meanwhile, I read an interesting stat that PSG does better without Silva than with him. In fact, I've started to think that Silva has been a very bad buy for PSG. Everybody feared that Zlatan will be "bigger than the club", but actually he has been a top professional and very committed to the team, while Silva is the one who is annoyingly making demands about everything, the style of play, the players who play, and even threatening to leave. I fear he has manged to destroy PSG's defence by his insistence to choose who to play with. I think the idea was originally to play Silva with Sakho, and they would have been an absolutely great match if they had ever got the chance to develop together. Instead, Silva insisted to play with fellow Brazilians, which pushed Sakho out of the team, and then to play with Luiz, which made PSG lose their last season's best CB, Alex, for free, and overpay for Chelsea's surplus defender.

If a big time bid came in for Thiago Silva, I would sell him. And the whole Brazilian defence could go with him.

Speaking about PSG, the situation of Rabiot is annoying the sheet out of me.

Blanc is 100% right about it: it is the best for Rabiot himself to stay in Paris, he has got a future there and will surely be already needed in a long season where they play 4 competitions (Like in England, there are 2 domestic cups in France). Leaving his home to go to somewhere like Arsenal where he would probably be seen as a prospect rather than a true first teamer, would be a huge risk. The problem according to Blanc is that people around Rabiot, so mostly his agent, want to profit from his contractual situation and are pushing him for the move. This is likely to be true, because the manager insists to keep the player and can present a convincing argument that there will be a place for him, enough games to play. If he did not have plans to play him, he would definitely take the money offered, and buy someone he likes more. But I think he knows he can't get anybody of that talent.

That he is one to play more in PSG, is obvious: his passing and holding the ball are impeccable, his possession adjusted tackles and interceptions are through the roof, he excels in air game and most importantly is tactically very mature and secure choice to play in midfield as opponents find it hard to get past him and he doesn't make those mistakes, losing ball and so on, that are habitual to Verratti. There is no or very little risk in fielding him. In future, he should get more involved in attack, but of course being fielded deep in the midfield, it is hard to get too involved in goals, and when he has been fielded higher, he has shown his attacking skills too. So that should happen in time, with a bigger role. Another thing that would be optimal is less fouling.

PSG is bleeding top level talent right now, and Rabiot is amongst the best and it is essential for Blanc to convince him that there will be enough games for everybody to play as the season progresses - heck, Rabiot would likely already start this weekend if he wasn't injured. I wonder whether some older international players could help this situation. Maybe it would help if Zlatan, Matuidi or Silva talked with him about it? Whether they want to do it, I don't know.

Update: PS has reportedly accepted AS Roma's €15M bid for Rabiot. Well, that's probably better for him than joining Arsenal, or who knows, as he could well play that CDM position for Arsenal, but anyway, I think it is not good for him. He should stay in PSG, it's his club.

Stambouli to Spurs today, it seems. A transfer that is likely to benefit no involved party and makes no sense unless you know the backgrounds.

Stambouli has been looking for a transfer, and was given time to consider different options. He has traditionally been used in Montpellier as both CB and CM and was looking to establish himself as a CM in a bigger club. Among other bids he turned down Marseille because he feared that with their current defence problems he will be forced to play in defence, and signaled that he is willing to stay in Montpellier.

The manager Courbis was delighted about having the (about) the best player and leader of the team back. So why the sudden move to Spurs literally just a couple of days after committing to Montpellier? Seen that he turned Marseille down for fear of having to play CB, a transfer to Spurs who also are short in defence but stuffed in midfield, seems odd.

The reason is that Nicollin pushed him out. He came out yesterday to interfere with his manager's job, once again, by stating that he doesn't like Stambouli back after considering transfer. He said that it would mean to bench someone like Jonas Martin or Jamel Saihi, and if Stambouli stays now, he hopes to transfer him out in January. Courbis was likely much less worried about having to bench a player like Saihi that nobody else wants, and must have been raging when he heard Nicollin push Stambouli out against his will.

Nicollin has done this so many times. He's got a player that does excellently, then everybody is interested in this player and he says that a transfer to a really big club for gazillion euros would be possible. Okay, that far I agree, as long as he's ready to accept an inflated bid instead of waiting for an incredibly inflated bid. But once the transfer talks start, and the players as much as considers other clubs, he starts to slate the guy and pushes him to the door. For the sake of his own money, can't he just bloody let his manager decide who is wanted in the club and who not!!! Like Aulas, he makes his manager's job unnecessarily difficult.

Too bad for Courbis and Stambouli. This is a stupid deal.

So, another hard to understand deal happening, according to reports from England: Ecuele-Manga to Cardiff. To Cardiff! Championship! We're talking about a guy who made Zlatan and Falcao look completely mediocre, and at 26, he's just coming to his best years.

Meanwhile, the reports from Russia have been good, Valbuena starring for now second placed Moscow, creating chances for himself and others, assisting goals day in day out, and now scoring from free kick too.

Valentin Lavigne has 3 goals and 1 assist in around 90-100 minutes I think.Scored 2 and assisted another one in 20 minutes in the last game coming off the bench.

Didi' date='can you give us more information about him?Thanks in advance.[/quote']

Valentin Lavigne is Avril Lavigne's younger brother, who used to just play football as a hobby while striving to make his career in music business, but as that didn't seem to pan out well, he took a contract with Lorient youth academy as a second option to see what can come out of it. In Lorient, they always rated him highly, so it was just a question of making him see that he has potential in football as well.

Just kiddin'. :P

Actually, he has only played 74 minutes this season, so that gives pretty high efficiency. He has flown under the radar so far. I don't know whole a lot of him, because he's not a French youth international. He's Lorient's own product, born and raised there. He has been part of the team for some years now without ever getting his chance in A team. He has been a starter on right wing and as a forward for Lorient's youth teams and reserves that tend to play 4-4-2 like the A team.

In latter part of the season 2012-2013, when Lorient's reserves* got relegated to CFA2, Lavigne was one of the few players that the fans thought stood out as technically and tactically apt for adult football - Lemina being the real standout player who was often called to the first team that season. He then was able to repeat these performances - according to Lorient fans, I have not seen his matches - for the 2013-2014 season and after having a good pre-season this summer he was kept in the first team and has come in as a substitute in every match so far. With good results.

One good thing to notice this early season has been that he is a grown up man now, having grown some bulk, as I think the big worry why he was not called to the first team earlier, was about whether he can do it physically.

Let's check the goals and the assist:

The match winner against Monaco:

The two goals and assist (to J. Ayew) against Guingamp:

As you can see, these all come from a fast, countering move, when opponent is trying to advance, in two cases directly from winning the possession. They are not anything messiesque, rather parts of Lorient's general fast flowing football. So, indeed, I would not compare him to Messi.

But if you would like a player to compare him with, without saying that he's identical or that he would have as successful career, I'd say he has characteristics similar to Thomas Müller: not the most exciting individual, but relatively fast, physical guy, with strong basic technique and good tactical sense. What I mean is that he reads the game well, moves greatly to attacking positions to make himself available, can protect the ball, give an accurate pass and cross and very importantly knows how to put the ball in.

Müller is on his way to all time top World Cup goal scorer, without being a Messi-like talent, and without having a crazy good shooting technique. Rather he just has a footballing brain to take the right decision, make the right kind of shot in each situation, and a sufficient technique to do that. Lavigne seems to have some of that too. Rather doing the right thing than being able to do the most amazing. But it's hard to say how much he has of that as his career has been pretty short so far. It's a proven phenomenon that forwards produce more impressive per 90 minutes stats as subs than as if they play the whole match, so let's wait and see how he can do as a starter. Sure he's going to have his first start soon.

*Talking about either youth or reserve team might be confusing here. CFA1 & CFA2 are leagues where the Ligue 1 and some Ligue 2 reserve teams play, along with amateur football clubs. However, as with most Ligue 1 clubs, these reserves are effectively the oldest youth team, consisting of youngsters who have signed a some sort of contract with the club. Lorient's CFA team is mostly 20-21-year-olds along with the better U19 players.

That explains all the youth and the loaned players coming in.. that's why I saw Moutinho saying that next year if this transfer policy continues' date=' he will think if he continues or not in Monaco..[/quote']

That would not be significant loss to Monaco, however, particularly as they'd probably get a good money out of him. They've got good youngsters and unlike James, Moutinho, while he has been okay, has not really been worth the star status that he came with and that justifies his salary. He doesn't produce much attack wise in open play, and while he is not a liability, he is not really a top notch defensive midfielder either. Toulalan and Kondogbia do admirably well to that direction, and although Moutinho is kind of okay to both directions, one would rather have an attacking maestro next to them, and Moutinho hasn't seemed to be up to that task at all.

:D Monaco season ticket holders are reclaiming their money back! They accuse the club for selling the season tickets with elevated price with images of Falcao and James Rodriguez before selling these stars.

Frankly, I think their complaint is justified. Monaco has sold 4-5 players from their first XI, some from the top end, without even replacing them. They already had a too large squad, that much is true, but you can't first rise the season ticket price and then sell all your stars and replace them from bench/reserves/academy.

Valentin Lavigne is Avril Lavigne's younger brother' date=' who used to just play football as a hobby while striving to make his career in music business, but as that didn't seem to pan out well, he took a contract with Lorient youth academy as a second option to see what can come out of it. In Lorient, they always rated him highly, so it was just a question of making him see that he has potential in football as well.

Actually, he has only played 74 minutes this season, so that gives pretty high efficiency. He has flown under the radar so far. I don't know whole a lot of him, because he's not a French youth international. He's Lorient's own product, born and raised there. He has been part of the team for some years now without ever getting his chance in A team. He has been a starter on right wing and as a forward for Lorient's youth teams and reserves that tend to play 4-4-2 like the A team.

In latter part of the season 2012-2013, when Lorient's reserves* got relegated to CFA2, Lavigne was one of the few players that the fans thought stood out as technically and tactically apt for adult football - Lemina being the real standout player who was often called to the first team that season. He then was able to repeat these performances - according to Lorient fans, I have not seen his matches - for the 2013-2014 season and after having a good pre-season this summer he was kept in the first team and has come in as a substitute in every match so far. With good results.

One good thing to notice this early season has been that he is a grown up man now, having grown some bulk, as I think the big worry why he was not called to the first team earlier, was about whether he can do it physically.

[url']

[/url]

As you can see, these all come from a fast, countering move, when opponent is trying to advance, in two cases directly from winning the possession. They are not anything messiesque, rather parts of Lorient's general fast flowing football. So, indeed, I would not compare him to Messi.

But if you would like a player to compare him with, without saying that he's identical or that he would have as successful career, I'd say he has characteristics similar to Thomas Müller: not the most exciting individual, but relatively fast, physical guy, with strong basic technique and good tactical sense. What I mean is that he reads the game well, moves greatly to attacking positions to make himself available, can protect the ball, give an accurate pass and cross and very importantly knows how to put the ball in.

Müller is on his way to all time top World Cup goal scorer, without being a Messi-like talent, and without having a crazy good shooting technique. Rather he just has a footballing brain to take the right decision, make the right kind of shot in each situation, and a sufficient technique to do that. Lavigne seems to have some of that too. Rather doing the right thing than being able to do the most amazing. But it's hard to say how much he has of that as his career has been pretty short so far. It's a proven phenomenon that forwards produce more impressive per 90 minutes stats as subs than as if they play the whole match, so let's wait and see how he can do as a starter. Sure he's going to have his first start soon.

*Talking about either youth or reserve team might be confusing here. CFA1 & CFA2 are leagues where the Ligue 1 and some Ligue 2 reserve teams play, along with amateur football clubs. However, as with most Ligue 1 clubs, these reserves are effectively the oldest youth team, consisting of youngsters who have signed a some sort of contract with the club. Lorient's CFA team is mostly 20-21-year-olds along with the better U19 players.

Lovely pal.Thanks

Valentin Lavigne is Avril Lavigne's younger brother' date=' who used to just play football as a hobby while striving to make his career in music business, but as that didn't seem to pan out well, he took a contract with Lorient youth academy as a second option to see what can come out of it. In Lorient, they always rated him highly, so it was just a question of making him see that he has potential in football as well.

[url']

[/url]

you like to hear yourself talk don't or in other words type , you coulda said yes then stuck to 1 paragrapgh , there's no contest to see how many words you can type in a single post and keep it interesting, yet!:)

you like to hear yourself talk don't or in other words type ' date=' you coulda said yes then stuck to 1 paragrapgh , there's no contest to see how many words you can type in a single post and keep it interesting, yet!:)[/quote']

id rather see posts like it than 99.9% of the constant drivel on here, a proper review of a player written by someone clearly having an interest in writing about football.

Lovely write up Didi

;2983667']id rather see posts like it than 99.9% of the constant drivel on here' date=' a proper review of a player written by someone clearly having an interest in writing about football.

Lovely write up Didi[/quote']

Here, here. Keep at it Didi. Some of us appreciate the work you put in.

;2983667']id rather see posts like it than 99.9% of the constant drivel on here' date=' a proper review of a player written by someone clearly having an interest in writing about football.

Lovely write up Didi[/quote']

I was only kidding JMH I like Didi he's like a extreamley inteligent version of Infernito and probably along with yourself and Eos11, Trent & the Uraguayian lad can't remember how his name is spelled my favorite posters. It's just Didi puts 3 goal.com articles worth of literature in a signle post. Just poking fun nothing else.:D