Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Monaco plays such a dire brand of football. I so hope they won't make CL for next season.

AS Monaco was the pleasant surprise of the Champions League this season, imo.

They managed to win the balanced Group C with Benfica, Leverkusen and Zenit.

Of course Monaco played more defensively after the departure of some vital players..

Monaco plays such a dire brand of football. I so hope they won't make CL for next season.

I like the model Jardim is puting in place, like in Portugal, developing youngsters with more experienced players.

They know what they are doing and it's good for Ligue 1 in a long term view

I like the model Jardim is puting in place' date=' like in Portugal, developing youngsters with more experienced players.

They know what they are doing and it's good for Ligue 1 in a long term view[/quote']

Not saying it's a bad model, but it's less that he is putting that model in place and more that that's what they already had when he came in. He is using basically all that he has (except Germain, which is sad): he uses all the old crew, Carvalho, Raggi, Toulalan, Moutinho, Berbatov, and the rest just are the youngsters. If you look at last season under Ranieri, it was exactly the same. Aside from not playing Ocampos, which is Jardim's clear personal decision, the only difference is that they have lost 5 players who played a lot last year, Abidal, James, Falcao, Rivière and Obbadi, and have brought in only one new regular in Silva. As a result, a few players, mostly just Dirar and Martial, now one year more experienced, are playing much more than last season, but for the rest is the same with just less rotation.

AS Monaco was the pleasant surprise of the Champions League this season' date=' imo.[/quote']

Pleasant surprise in what sense, though? I take it you mean they were pleasant surprise, because they advanced against expectations. But had you watched their football, you'd notice there was nothing pleasant in it. You can forgive them against Arsenal and Juve (and they played probably their best football at Torino), but those Leverkusen matches were regretful to say the least.

They managed to win the balanced Group C with Benfica' date=' Leverkusen and Zenit.[/quote']

Also known as the easy group.

Of course Monaco played more defensively after the departure of some vital players..

It's okay when they do that against Arsenal, but when they deploy defensive counter-attack tactics against the likes of Toulouse who are valiantly playing attacking football despite their lack of resources, that is pretty shameful from the second richest club in France.

Nobody expected Monaco to advance from group with only 4 goals scored.

They have a very good defense' date=' I reckon, but I don't like their tactics either..[/quote']

I meant to emphasise the word pleasant. I mean, it is not very pleasant that a team advances with only 4 goals scored, and two of those in matches where they only got one shot on target from a total of 4 shots taken in each match (the Leverkusen matches).

Pleasant surprise in what sense' date=' though? I take it you mean they were pleasant surprise, because they advanced against expectations. But had you watched their football, you'd notice there was nothing pleasant in it. You can forgive them against Arsenal and Juve (and they played probably their best football at Torino), but those Leverkusen matches were regretful to say the least.

Also known as the easy group.

It's okay when they do that against Arsenal, but when they deploy defensive counter-attack tactics against the likes of Toulouse who are valiantly playing attacking football despite their lack of resources, that is pretty shameful from the second richest club in France.[/quote']

Saw some of the games with Benfica, and they played very nice at times.

Lol, the easy group? How the hell that is that the easy group? It was one of the most balanced groups, all teams were at the same level and was very tough to predict. Groups with Bate, Apoel, Maribor, Ludogorets, Malmo, those were easy!

Saw some of the games with Benfica' date=' and they played very nice at times.

Lol, the easy group? How the hell that is that the easy group? It was one of the most balanced groups, all teams were at the same level and was very tough to predict. Groups with Bate, Apoel, Maribor, Ludogorets, Malmo, those were easy![/quote']

Balanced means just that there were no big clubs there, i.e. it was a weak, easy group.

There was no group with Bate, Apoel, Maribor and Ludogorets. They, like Malmö, were all in different groups. Malmö was in the same group with Juve and Atletico. Easy one? That's already two teams way above any of the one's in Monaco's group, Olympiakos making a decent third team there. Ludogorets played in the group with Liverpool, Real Madrid and Basel. Apoel with Barca, PSG and Ajax, in one of the toughest groups there were (if not the toughest). Maribor with Chelsea, Schalke and Sporting, which aside from Chelsea being there, was one of the easiest. However, you cannot draw both Benfica and Sporting, and certainly getting Benfica from the first pot was everybody's dream. Trade Monaco to Chelsea's group, and it would be Chelsea, Schalke, Sporting, Monaco. Doubt they'd gone through in that, let alone win it.

It's amazing that Benfica could be in the first pot despite not having done anything in CL for years. The only mentionable team in the group was Leverkusen who, however, were a young team with not so impressive squad, mostly gaining experience in CL this season.

However, the group with Bate was indeed even easier, Porto, Athletic and Shkahtar making it a group with no candidates for semis, and even for QF only with luck in draw on the round of 16.

Balanced means just that there were no big clubs there' date=' i.e. it was a weak, easy group.

There was no group with Bate, Apoel, Maribor and Ludogorets. They, like Malmö, were all in different groups. Malmö was in the same group with Juve and Atletico. Easy one? That's already two teams way above any of the one's in Monaco's group, Olympiakos making a decent third team there. Ludogorets played in the group with Liverpool, Real Madrid and Basel. Apoel with Barca, PSG and Ajax, in one of the toughest groups there were (if not [i']the[/i] toughest). Maribor with Chelsea, Schalke and Sporting, which aside from Chelsea being there, was one of the easiest. However, you cannot draw both Benfica and Sporting, and certainly getting Benfica from the first pot was everybody's dream. Trade Monaco to Chelsea's group, and it would be Chelsea, Schalke, Sporting, Monaco. Doubt they'd gone through in that, let alone win it.

It's amazing that Benfica could be in the first pot despite not having done anything in CL for years. The only mentionable team in the group was Leverkusen who, however, were a young team with not so impressive squad, mostly gaining experience in CL this season.

However, the group with Bate was indeed even easier, Porto, Athletic and Shkahtar making it a group with no candidates for semis, and even for QF only with luck in draw on the round of 16.

A easy group is when you have weak teams and stronger teams, not when all four teams are basically equal, meaning that any of those teams can get through. Group C was easy? Easy for who?

Ahahah, Apoel, Barca, PSG and Ajax one of the toughest groups? Sure it was tough for the bottom 2, but we already knew the final stand of that group as soon as the draw happened. Chelsea group was weak, it was a walk in the park for Chelsea, Schalke and Sporting didn't offer much competition at the time, i know it because i saw the games. Sporting deserved to go through by the way and not Schalke!

The group C was the only one i couldn't make a prediction, and that and the group B was the only ones i didn't get it right.

I'm sure you know why Benfica was in Pot 1, if you don't i'm not the one who is going to tell you, because you clearly wouldn't know what a hell are you talking about.

PSG need only a draw against Montpellier next turn and they're Champions again.

Second place I think will be kept by Lyon and 3rd place is between ASM and OM.

At the bottom of the table, Metz are relegated after 0-4 vs Lorient yesterday.

Evian with small chances to survive in the first flight after 2-3 at home v. Reims.

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Tough to say. My take on it is they probably don't have talented players. :P

In all seriousness' date=' Bussmann has been the top performer of the team, maybe even the top performing LB of Ligue 1 this season. Métanire is the captain and a sort of sure value in defence, but also comes up even more than Bussmann, despite current goal/assist stats, and creates plays. N'gbakoto is in set pieces and penalties, but I'm not sure if he's any good. Falcon is a poacher, imo, which works fine for a club like Metz, but I wouldn't buy him to a big club. He's a strong fellow, by the way, not the dribbling South American stereotype. Bouna Sarr likes to tackle, but is also not bad with the ball. Kind of a utility player, has had hard time to get minutes. But not as hard as Andrada, I'm not sure if he has featured at all so I can't say anything about him.

Outside your list, Krivets has caught some eyes, he really seems to like to shoot, plays very high and tries to finish the actions. I'm not sure he's really very useful, in the end, though. One who surely is very useful is the old man Kévin Lejeune, who we remember from Auxerre before the relegation to Ligue 2 where he has played for a couple of clubs before taking the lift to the other direction with Metz. He builds the game from left, also defending well. Then there are the GK's, Carrasso who was considered a big talent once, but lost his place at Montpellier for an injury, and then never got his chance at Rennes, and the Gabonese Mfa Mezui who has won all his three games since Carrasso picked an injury, and we'll see if he can keep the starting spot when Carrasso returns.

Finally, of the young players of this team, Cheick Doucouré who joined from Lorient seems to be a decent defensive midfielder. I'm not sure why he was out of the team for over a month. Maybe he was injured. But he is back on team sheet now. However, don't confuse him with Abdoulaye Doucouré who plays for Rennes and is generally considered more talented.[/quote']

I have a large number of Metz players in my teams, thanks again Didi for this Post.

Now that Metz are relegated , which of the mentioned Metz Players

are likely to move to a better club and stay in the first Division ?

Are there rumours ?

Or should i sell all of them ?

Thanks in Advance.

I have been reading a few paper reports recently, yes usually poor at this time of year but thought I would ask if anyone else had any opinions on the matter.

I read Veretout is being considered by Sevilla and/or Atletico Madrid for a transfer in summer? Any truth?

I also read that Marseille are thinking of making a bid for Stambouli, again any truth?

• 2 months later...

Bielsa was crazy after all...

So far, great market by Monaco, good one by PSG, average by OL, catastrophic by ASSE. :)

OM is re-re-rebuilding everything from scratch.

Wich club will win Ligue 1 ? PSG of course. The new star is Di Maria, max pressure on him to deliver.

Wich team to be the surprise of the season ? Don't know ;) maybe Nice, with a lot of youngsters, maybe Nantes.

Only 2 relegations this season after Federation big clash

Monaco and the French league in general is becoming rather interesting I really like how they're now going about their business all very good buys and the latest being G.Boschilla who I am a big fan of. Sad Kondogbia left for Inter but very much looking forward to Ligue 1 this season so much young talent homegrown and foreign its the new Bundesliga.

Bielsa was crazy after all...

So far' date=' great market by Monaco, good one by PSG, average by OL, catastrophic by ASSE. :)

OM is re-re-rebuilding everything from scratch.

Wich club will win Ligue 1 ? PSG of course. The new star is Di Maria, max pressure on him to deliver.

Wich team to be the surprise of the season ? Don't know ;) maybe Nice, with a lot of youngsters, maybe Nantes.

Only 2 relegations this season after Federation big clash[/quote']

I think Lyon had a good market. To keep Fekir, Lacazette, Tolisso, Gonalons and Lopes was the #1 objective, and was near impossible. Adding Valbuena to that? OL take it and run.

Not a fan of Beauvue though.

I think Monaco did the best so far in the market followed by Lyon and then PSG. Lyon got Rafael like a scrap and a low priced Valbuena. Yanga-Mbiwa? He's a mediocre for now but I expect from him. Beauvue is a question. If he equals even half of last year's performance, he's a deal. Otherwise, he's a blunder. And plus Lyon and PSG both have managed to keep the star players unlike Monaco. I bet Lyon no.8 coming if Grenier returns in time. Plus JMA says its not over for Lyon. I see 2 more players coming in before the window ends.:D;)