Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Haha' date=' i think it was yourself that convinced me to buy Lloris a month or two ago over Mandanda. I also seen your post about him not starting in the previous France game. But looks (fingers crossed) that you're right!! Lloris FTW!!

Thanks again.[/quote']

Yes, he started. There was only, between these two posts, an interview of Domenech, where Domenech said that Mandanda will start. So, I was surprised that he did the choice that should have surprised none... I still highly recommend Lloris over Mandanda, for he is better. But this season... perhaps both should be 91, but knowing that Lyon's defense hasn't become significantly better and Marseille's defense seems super solid with Diawara and Heinze, Mandanda will probably concede less than Lloris. Marseille so far hasn't conceded one single goal, this due to their defensive solidity. Lloris has had more work, but he also did concede two goals against Le Mans: one from penalty and one after Le Mans completely outplayed Lyon's defense. Mandanda had to make some nice stops against Lille too, but basically just long shots. My guess is, that in next game neither of them concedes, as the opponents lack attack. Anyway, in long run, I have no doubt about Lloris.

Who'd be a good investment.. someone who is likely to rise into the 80's this season? :o

Thanks.

Corchia is obvious. From ligue 2 Gaffory should have chances to that as well and Kana-Biyik of course. My long shot is Roux. He could, if he keeps on playing (and especially scoring) go all the way from 70 to 80+, but this is hard to say, since only 2 games have been played.

Hi guys' date=' I've got Soren Larsen in one of my teams and was considering selling him as per your thread, looks like he'll be dropping again inthe ratings? Has that likelihood changed at all?[/quote']

Definitely sell him. He's miles from even subbing for Toulouse, with Gignac there and Pentecote favored above him. You can get much better players from the money you can get from selling him.

Corchia is obvious. From ligue 2 Gaffory should have chances to that as well and Kana-Biyik of course. My long shot is Roux. He could' date=' if he keeps on playing (and especially scoring) go all the way from 70 to 80+, but this is hard to say, since only 2 games have been played.[/quote']

Goulon is another. I strongly urge him above the others, as he has been very consistent and impressive ever since he started to break into the team last season. Sertic is good for the long-term, but with so many midfielders at Bordeaux, he'll see very little game time, despite his talent.

Goulon is another. I strongly urge him above the others' date=' as he has been very consistent and impressive ever since he started to break into the team last season. Sertic is good for the long-term, but with so many midfielders at Bordeaux, he'll see very little game time, despite his talent.[/quote']

Fernando possibly going to Lyon and Wendel currently injured he could see some play time soon. Many expect this to be his break through season and knowing how tight Bordeaux's schedule will be, he should play enough to hit 80 imo.

SICCKKKKKKK left boot by Bastos yesterday...! Easily one of the more exciting teams in all of futbol...

How come they had him on the right side ?

It was probably because Pjanic (who scored a great free-kick) was on the left, and Bastos is more versatile than he is. Great game, though. That'll give them the confidence they need in the league, right now.

It was probably because Pjanic (who scored a great free-kick) was on the left' date=' and Bastos is more versatile than he is. Great game, though. That'll give them the confidence they need in the league, right now.[/quote']

True, after being somewhat cocky for a while, OL lost a lot of confidence last season when they finally met some true difficulties.

News Update 12

Relatively quiet week... Just a couple of completed transfers and a typical handful of rumours.

COMPLETED TRANSFERS

12161798851276328106czara1_Mixe_arrow.svg.hi.png

First up this week: John Mensah has finally completed a move to Sunderland. The Lyon defender will spend the season on loan there, with an option for Sunderland to buy him. This will be good for his short-term future, as he won't be playing much for them unless they suffer the same injury crisis they did last season in the defense.

The only other completed move this week was Boubacar Sanogo's. The Werder Bremen striker joined Saint-Etienne as a replacement for Bafetimbi Gomis, who a few weeks go joined Lyon. It's likely that Rivière will be back on the bench, as a consequence, unless Perrin tries out the 4-4-2, having them play beside each other. Anyway, the fee involved is probably around 5 million euros, and a three-year deal was signed.

TRANSFER RUMOURS

question_marks.jpg

FINALLY! An end to the Chamakh saga! Well, at least an end until next Summer. Chamakh has finally halted all speculations of a move this Summer, saying quite clearly that he will be staying with Bordeaux for the remainder of his contract, which ends next Summer. Signing a contract extension, though, is out of the equation, which means he will be making a free transfer somewhere, I guess.

Lyon's Sidney Govou was recently rumoured to have been bid on by German club Stuttgart, but the Stuttgart manager, Horst Heldt, has claimed that no such thing has occured, and that Stuttgart aren't even interested in the forward. He took a shot at Govou, too, saying that "maybe he is trying to up his basic salary with this rumour". Silly if that's true, though. Playing well and not getting injured (which he so far has failed to this season) would be a better way to do so. :P

Guess what? Dindane wants to move to the Premier League! Shocker. :rolleyes: Well, at least the guy's finally getting close to his wishes, and this time, it's not a relatively minor team like Hull or Stoke who are interested; according to Lens presidend Gervais Martel, the Ligue 1 club "will be meeting with the Porstmouth directors between now and the start of next week". Martel then added, "It is true to say he would love to play in England." Really? Who would have thought... :rolleyes:

Over in Marseilles, Elliot Grandin is looking forward to completing a very probable move that will see him following Dindane into the Prem. Grandin, 21, intends to join Stoke City, whom have offered him an opportunity through a trial. He should leave. Staying at the Vélodrome is nice on your resume, but he won't be getting much (if at all) game time for L'OM.

Quite to my surprise, Le Mans captain Mathieu Coutadeur stated that he "really" wants to join Monaco, which, to me, wouldn't me much of a step up - nor a step down, though. Apparently, Lacombe is interested in him, which is odd considering the strength in dept Monaco have in the midfield. I guess they need some sort of offensive center-mid or so, which can't be found in Pérez and Costa. As for the Le Mans side of this, if Coutadeur leaves, I expect Le Tallec to be getting more first team action, in his place, which would guarantee more time for Maïga to play, too. Le Mans could then use the money to strengthen their squad further, as well. Everyone wins. :) Anyway, the rumours are still fresh and budding, so there's nothing really materializing. however, been established contact between the player and Monaco...

Algerian international Yazid Mansouri of Lorient is looking forward to departing Ligue 1, with La Liga sides Real Betis and Deportivo La Coruna both keen to sign the 31-year-old midfielder. Nothing else to say.

Before the purchase of Boubacar Sanogo, Saint-Etienne were tracking down Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, currently a free agent after his contract ended with Celtic at the end of last season. Saint-Etienne attempted to rake in the striker, but Vennegoor turned them down, saying that it was too early to join anyone. Saint-Etienne will probably end their interest in Vennegoor, now that they have brought in Sanogo from Werder Bremen.

Boulogne will be attempting to bolster their squad for their first time in Ligue 1, and their latest attempt has been rather odd. Boulogne are currently targetting a player on the other side of the world, in the United States. The said player is Bakary Soumare, 23, who plays for the Chicago Fire in the MLS. Bruno Dupuis, Boulogne's sporting director, announced that there is indeed interest in Soumare. According to Sky Sports, a fee of about 1.5 million euros, or £1.3 million, will have to be paid ofr his services.

Quite to my surprise' date=' Le Mans captain [b']Mathieu Coutadeur[/b] stated that he "really" wants to join Monaco, which, to me, wouldn't me much of a step up - nor a step down, though. Apparently, Lacombe is interested in him, which is odd considering the strength in dept Monaco have in the midfield. I guess they need some sort of offensive center-mid or so, which can't be found in Pérez and Costa. As for the Le Mans side of this, if Coutadeur leaves, I expect Le Tallec to be getting more first team action, in his place, which would guarantee more time for Maïga to play, too. Le Mans could then use the money to strengthen their squad further, as well. Everyone wins. :) Anyway, the rumours are still fresh and budding, so there's nothing really materializing. however, been established contact between the player and Monaco...

This has been on news for a while now. I also wonder what's the point of this deal. Coutadeur should be heading to some bigger team in bigger need of CM. To my understanding, Le Tallec has been planned to be starter with or without Coutadeur. He plays different position and only was injured at the start of the season. Btw, first of the 10+ is scored now. I hope this deal wont happen, I'd like to see Le Mans really competing this season. They have very good squad, imo, except for perhaps poorest starting GK of ligue 1 (and of big part of ligue 2), but without Coutadeur their overall competitiveness would be so significantly reduced that they might actually find themselves fighting against relegation.

Indeed, it might be that next week Coutadeur plays for Monaco.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2009/20090823_003114_coutadeur-fixe-lundi.html

I hope Le Mans gets Mollo then ;) Btw, I think it's ridiculous of Monaco what they're doing with Mollo. It is not as if he would be demanding childish rise to his salary, it's that he doesn't even have a professional contract in Monaco. The guy played well last season, established himself as a starter and an important one too. In addition to this, he is highly regarded by many teams other than Monaco and Monaco wont get anything of him if he choses to sign contract with some other team since he has no professional contract currently. It is thus really ridiculous of them to try and offer him a "background fringe player" -type of contract over whole summer and still fail to sign a contract with him. Mollo has been surprisingly patient. As I understand it, he could have already signed freely for some other club, but he is willing to wait for Monaco to offer him a serious contract. Nancy should be closest club to sign him. Currently he would do better with any other team, especially if Monaco refuses to play Mollo as a disciplinary act, as it is imo.

Week 3 Review (Part 1)

Auxerre 0-3 Lyon

I got to see this whole match and found out how dearly Auxerre needed a striker. You can be as good in the midfield as humanely possible, but if you don't have a proper attacking line, you're never going to score. Auxerre played with N'Dinga, Pedretti, and Narry in midfield, with Contout and Chafni out wide and Niculae the lone striker. The first whistle all the way to Lyon's first goal was all dominated by Auxerre. They had some chances, too, but none were taken. There was strong midfield play but just no way to finish it. Lyon, meanwhile, played with a very different line-up from last week, as well as an unusual 4-3-3. Mounier, Delgado (returned from injury), Gomis, Pjanic, Grosso, and Boumsong played instead of Bastos, Govou, Lisandro (injured), Ederson, Cissokho, and Cris. The midfield looked a bit shakey defensively, until Boumsong rushed up to deflect Delgado's cross into the goal in the 31st minute. Makoun then knocked in Mounier's high-speed cross for 2-0, and Pjanic tied it up courtesy of Delgado's wonderful cross. That's the youngster's second goal in the three games so far, and Delgado's second assist in his first game since returning from that injury. Also, credit to the Lyon defense, particularly Boumsong (who was voted man-of-the-match by L'Equipe), and Hugo Lloris for stopping/pressuring all those Auxerre shots. Anyway, Ishak Belfodil, who for the first time was included in the first team squad (thanks to Lisandro being injured) also got his first appearance in Ligue 1, subbing in for Boumsong in the 84th.

Le Mans 2-1 Nancy

Well, Le Mans finally got that win they needed, and they put an end to Nancy's surprise start as well. Goulon, who again was like a concrete wall in the Le Mans side of the pitch, sent a wonderful lob allllll the way to Helstad that was just high enough to escape the defenders but dipped just enough for Helstad to knock in the goal. Another long ball, this time from Thomas, the other DM, met Le Tallec, who was clear of the defense. A simple flick of the boot to chip the ball made it 2-0. As Le Tallec started on the right, Maïga didn't, and he only played the last few minutes as a substitute. Corchia was average, but still good for a 77-rated player. The midfielders and Helstad were the stars this week. As for Nancy, they had a very shabby defense. Everything seems okay when you see that both sides had almost even possession, crosses, corners, etc., but when you see the shots taken, you can understand what was going on. Nancy's lackluster defense gave a powerful Le Mans attack 22 shots, while only having taken 7 for themselves. Not a good to defend nor attack. Macaluso's late goal (94th minute) was far from convincing. Nancy will have to really focus to pick themselves back up after this.

Monaco 2-0 Lorient

Great game for Monaco. Magnificient attacking play. There was no Mollo, as Alonso was preferred above him. Pino didn't start too, as in the front were Bakar still and Nimani. The latter grabbed the first goal after Audard deflected Pérez's long-range effort into the post, off which the ball bounced and ended up in front of Nimani. The second came from a cheaply conceded free-kick that Nene took superbly. Good stuff. With a free-kick like that, it's looking even harder for Mollo (who last season often took the kicks). Monaco pushed for a third in the second half, creating numerous chances, almost wreaking havoc on the Lorient defense. They were alright in their own defensive third, and Ruffier saved them from a powerfully driven free-kick and a one-on-one. More good stuff. Lorient's defense indeed had a bad day. The first goal could have been prevented if Koscielny had not put both Nimani and Bakar so far onside. Audard did well in the game, compared to the rest of Lorient. He stopped Pérez's and Nene's other shot (in the 83rd), and I don't blame him for not doing the same with Nimani's. The second goal I would blame on Mansouri for cheaply giving away a handball foul so close to the front of the goal.

Montpellier 2-0 Sochaux

Montpellier played very well for a club with relatively low expectations. Costa opened the scoring with a powerfully taken penalty that resulted from a ridiculously obvious handball. Ait Fana got his first Ligue 1 goal after some great passing play that put him one-on-one with Richert in the very last minute of the game. He didn't play the whole game, though. He came on as sub for an under-performing Camara. Belhanda also started as the left winger (Montpellier use a 4-3-3), and played almost the entire game. He's on the right track at the moment. Now would be the time to invest. Sochaux didn't have a great day, the defense in particular. Nogueira and Davies started, but neither impressed. Sverkos couldn't get anywhere...

[/u][/b][/size]

Auxerre 0-3 Lyon

I got to see this whole match and found out how dearly Auxerre needed a striker. You can be as good in the midfield as humanely possible' date=' but if you don't have a proper attacking line, you're never going to score. Auxerre played with N'Dinga, Pedretti, and Narry in midfield, with Contout and Chafni out wide and Niculae the lone striker.[/quote']

You're right, although that lineup doesn't equal "as good in the midfield as humanely possible" to me. :P:D

Great game for Monaco. Magnificient attacking play. There was no Mollo, as Alonso was preferred above him.

As I mentioned before, Mollo was reportedly injured. Don't know if there really is an injury, but anyway, he wasn't in the squad at all.

Btw, I just finished watching Bordeaux massacring your beloved Nice. :P In fact, it wasn't as one sided as 4-0 makes it seem. Carasso had to work too and he was great on his goal. Gourcuff again wonderfully efficient although this wasn't even his best game. What, is it 4 goals and 2 assist in just 3 games already? No need to ask who's hot. By the way, the Nice players played like butchers again. Two red cards deserved but not given. I don't like that "if you can't beat them, beat them up" -style of theirs. Seems like every time I watch Nice they're only kicking opponents legs. Although this time Gourcuff got boot everywhere else as well, too bad that referee wasn't watching (he really wasn't, you can see it on video). Chamakh assisted Gourcuff's first in nice move, and let me remind you that Gourcuff assisted the two goals by Chamakh in last game. Their connection is clicking, I'm more than happy with Chamakh staying yet another year in Bordeaux.

You're right' date=' although that lineup doesn't equal "as good in the midfield as humanely possible" to me. :P:D

As I mentioned before, Mollo was reportedly injured. Don't know if there really is an injury, but anyway, he wasn't in the squad at all.

Btw, I just finished watching Bordeaux massacring your beloved Nice. :P In fact, it wasn't as one sided as 4-0 makes it seem. Carasso had to work too and he was great on his goal. Gourcuff again wonderfully efficient although this wasn't even his best game. What, is it 4 goals and 2 assist in just 3 games already? No need to ask who's hot. By the way, the Nice players played like butchers again. Two red cards deserved but not given. I don't like that "if you can't beat them, beat them up" -style of theirs. Seems like every time I watch Nice they're only kicking opponents legs. Although this time Gourcuff got boot everywhere else as well, too bad that referee wasn't watching (he really wasn't, you can see it on video). Chamakh assisted Gourcuff's first in nice move, and let me remind you that Gourcuff assisted the two goals by Chamakh in last game. Their connection is clicking, I'm more than happy with Chamakh staying yet another year in Bordeaux.[/quote']

Ah didn't catch that. And yeah, I can't believe Nice didn't score despite the chances. Rémy, Bamogo, Ben Saada... everyone had at least one chance, but that dam Carrasso! :mad::o:p As for Gourcuff and Chamakh... they're pretty much the Gerrard and Torres of Ligue 1 now. Great to watch. I hope Chamakh reconsiders his decision not to extend his stay at Bordeaux. They may not be as big as a top Premier League side, but he seems to be very happy here.

Ah didn't catch that. And yeah' date=' I can't believe Nice didn't score despite the chances. Rémy, Bamogo, Ben Saada... everyone had at least one chance, but that dam Carrasso! :mad::o:p As for Gourcuff and Chamakh... they're pretty much the Gerrard and Torres of Ligue 1 now. Great to watch. I hope Chamakh reconsiders his decision not to extend his stay at Bordeaux. They may not be as big as a top Premier League side, but he seems to be very happy here.[/quote']

Hopefully Bordeaux beats some EPL teams in CL and Chamakh realizes that it's quite top team actually. :D

Another interest in today's match was of course Ciani starting. Played just fine imo. Although not super solid, Bordeaux could have conceded a goal or two without Carasso's good form.

Hello Philippe and Didi, can I ask a quick question please? How is Miralem Pjanic progressing? He was once labelled as a wonderkid and I was wondering if he has since faded away. With Juninho now gone, will Pjanic gain more playing time? Thanks in advance. :)

Hello Philippe and Didi' date=' can I ask a quick question please? How is Miralem Pjanic progressing? He was once labelled as a wonderkid and I was wondering if he has since faded away. With Juninho now gone, will Pjanic gain more playing time? Thanks in advance. :)[/quote']

He has not at all faded away. Juninho's absence will, and already has, given him more game time, but Ederson is still favored above him. He is doing spectacularly, though. He scored from a free-kick for Lyon against Anderlecht in the CL, and this weekend, he scored his first Ligue 1 goal of the season. He's heavy competition against Ederson for the first team spot. He may even change Lyon manager Puel's mind about him and become a complete starter sooner than later if he keeps this up.

He has not at all faded away. Juninho's absence will' date=' and already has, given him more game time, but Ederson is still favored above him. He is doing spectacularly, though. He scored from a free-kick for Lyon against Anderlecht in the CL, and this weekend, he scored his first Ligue 1 goal of the season. He's heavy competition against Ederson for the first team spot. He may even change Lyon manager Puel's mind about him and become a complete starter sooner than later if he keeps this up.[/quote']

Thanks, that helped! One more question, has Cissokho settled in well in France since moving from Porto where he was sensational? Is he a worth buy at the moment? Do you see him being Lyon's first choice LB or will Grosso and the vastly talented Thimothee Kolodziejczak displace him in the near future? :)

Thanks' date=' that helped! One more question, has Cissokho settled in well in France since moving from Porto where he was sensational? Is he a worth buy at the moment? Do you see him being Lyon's first choice LB or will Grosso and the vastly talented Thimothee Kolodziejczak displace him in the near future? :)[/quote']

Cissokho the first choice imo. Seems like it. Kolodziejczak wont replace anyone yet as he is still very young and lacks experience. Eventually he might find it bit challenging to break through to first team if Cissokho keeps playing well, because Cissokho is fairly young too. It would have been easier to Kolo to replace Grosso in time. Kolo is still a huge talent, probably way bigger than Cissokho but it might be that Lyon eventually let him to other club like big clubs often miss their talented youngsters.

Btw, still about Pjanic, he is still very very young and it would in any case be too soon to talk about him fading away. I didn't expect him to play much yet this season, seen that Lyon recruted a lot on midfield, but he has certainly used his chances and can see more time on the field.