Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Weird night' date=' this, with Bordeaux, Lyon, Chelsea & Liverpool all losing.

[b']Didi[/b], without Gourcuff, how do Les Girondins line up? Where does Plasil fit in?

They lack Gourcuff completely. Plasil plays on right, as normally. Fernando is in the middle with Diarra and doesn't really cover Gourcuff's spot. More replacing is playing attacking duo Chamakh-Cavenaghi. Oh, the latter could well be the Bordeaux player seeing his rating decrease, now even missing the penalty.... man, he really is in poor form. Gourcuff should be back for the next match in CL and lets hope that he is. Seemed to be good the last 20 minutes he played against Auxerre.

Does anyone know the odd's on montpellier winning the league??

I was thinking of putting a bet on it

I think that they might just mount up a good fight for a Europa League spot, as they are yet to confront the top dogs of Ligue 1 - up to now, their points have been coming from victories over bottom-half teams. Of course, I have not yet accounted for the chances of a mid-season or late-season crisis, which is no less likely to happen to them than to any other team. This is just my input, though. I'm not one to rely on for odds (I'm horrible in any situation involving chance :P).

What? In my papers Montpellier is second with 20 points' date=' only losing to Lyon by goal difference

[/quote']

LOl.. very true ... it seems that the unpredictable marriage of booooooz & mathematics has caught me out again :D

Oh' date=' OL's "strongest team possible" was far from their strongest. No Bodmer, no Govou, no Boumsong, Toulalan in defense, Cris unfit (well, he has been bad anyway), young Gonalons as a starter. Still, they should have done better. Oh, btw, Nogueira was excellent, especially the first half of the match. Martin was creating both goals. Faty is reminding us of himself too, not only with the goal. Once Bourillon and Faty looked like future EDF defenders. Hope they'll come back to top, I don't still get what really happened to them.

[/quote']

I have never rated Boumsong or Govou, just don't see anything to admire in either player. From that selection only GONALONS & DELGADO would not have started IMO... and the loss was a massive surprise with Gomis & Lopez up front.

I have never rated Boumsong or Govou' date=' just don't see anything to admire in either player. From that selection only GONALONS & DELGADO would not have started IMO... and the loss was a massive surprise with Gomis & Lopez up front.[/quote']

Well. Boumsong and Govou are very good players (even though Boumsong used to be known as the defender who can't defend, you should notice that he has learned and was way better than Cris last season), but you're right that this loss was still something that you can't expect from that Lyon squad. Sochaux played a good match, but that shouldn't have been enough.

To almighty wiggles :

Montpellier is not simply playing better than expected, they have a better team than many noticed before the season.Jeunechamp, Spahic and Dzodic are reliable guys, Dernis and Pitau have been sort of unsung heros in ligue 1 for years, top class players without much buzz around them, they have fine youth in Belhanda and both keepers and you can add Costa as the star of the team. 10 years ago, before OL's overly successful period at the top of the ligue 1, Montpellier could have even won the title with this kind of team. But not today. The big clubs have become too big, ligue 1 is no longer as even as it was in the 90's. It will be either OL, OM or Bordeaux. Perhaps LOSC, without problems and players leaving, could have challenged. PSG, with more efficiency too - perhaps they still can, they have been so good. Montpellier could be third, or second, but not all of the big clubs will stumble that much. I wouldn't put my money on Montpellier. But I wouldn't say that it was bad bet, if somebody did that.

Most notable thing of last round, well, of course OL and Girondins losing, but what it comes to individual players : Valbuena started, played well and scored. Will he get more time on field? OM has had problems and now formerly mostly benched Koné and Valbuena were decisif, so could they be key to success? We'll see.

What will happen to Antoine DEVAUX next rating changes ! Iv read a few conflicting threads B)

It is difficult to say. I think some over press the fact that he went to a bigger club' date=' while others underline his low time on field too much. In fact, I don't really know how people count their prediction, but there are many things to consider about Devaux's rating. And that makes it difficult.

Let's take all things in consideration.

1. Team's league positions:

1.1) When he was last rated, he played for a team that was some fifth or sixth or something in ligue 2. 1.2) now he plays for a club that plays in UEFA Europa League and finished last season as fourth of ligue 1. 1.3) TFC:s current table position is, however, relatively low, only 12th. 1.4) TFC has done quite well in Europa League, being second of their group with 4 points from 2 matches.

2. Playing time and performances:

2.1) Devaux finished last season as an important starting player for Boulogne-sur-Mer, scoring 4 goals and being reckoned amongst the better players of ligue 2, that gaining him a transfer to a bigger club. Prior to last changes he had played 54 games in ligue 2, but most (35) of them were three years ago. 2.2) Devaux has started 1 game for TFC in ligue 1, while subbing in two others, but he has also started all 4 Europa League matches oof TFC, scoring one goal. In ligue 1 he has been little inspired, but he has been very good in Europa League.

3. Comparison:

3.1) Boulogne-sur-Mer's starters [i']last season[/i] were rated between 82 and 84. 3.2) TFC starters last season were rated between 87 and 89, with exception of the newcomers M'Bengue, Sissoko and Capoue, who are all likely to hit this range or higher in next (Sissoko, who could hit 90 this season). 3.3) Xavier Pentecôte, a replacement forward for TFC, had 2 points rise to 83 last season after playing in 9 games.

4. Conclusion:

4.1) Boulogne-sur-Mer's last season player's ratings are going to rise due to mere fact that they won the promotion. They're no doubt going to have a starter ratings in 84-86. Devaux would probably hit those numbers in Boulougne-sur-Mer. Simply for being a starter 'til the happy end last season makes him rise to 82-83, because he hasn't been slumping this season. This cannot be overlooked.

4.2) Devaux has already started 5 games and subbed 2 for TFC. This means, that he is more regular substitute player to TFC than Pentecôte was last season (or that Pentecôte is this season). Furthermore, with this frequency, he will most probably play in 13-16 ligue 1 games and add more Europa League games. he also has played better than Pentecôte, I think no one disagrees here. On Pentecôte's side, of course, TFC was awesome last season. Still, all this should warrant a rise to 83 at least in these very next changes.

4.3) Some last season big break troughs, most importantly Mollo, Hazard and M'Bengue only hit 84 at the spring. This would suggest that Devaux would not go that high in autumn or would it??? Well, no. These three players were added in the database lately and only started to show anything last season. Devaux has been in the game for few yearrs and should not be compared to these boys. He should be rather compared to other big ligue 2 break troughs making it in ligue 1. This means that he in fact could make it all the way to 86-88 this season, but not in autumn changes. This is due to low time on field. I predict: 84/83.

Squillaci just reminded (the first goal he scored) us from another thing that he could bring to our defense: air force. I mean, his air game is excellent, and I like Abidal, but does he ever win a battle in the air? It seems worse than awkward that we have a pure lateral as a CB, and aside of his bad marking game, which could result from Domenech-style training, and his loads of mistakes, he is true weak link of French air game.

Lyon's defense line was interesting from 42 minutes on: two DM:s as CB:s. And they didn't concede a goal (Benayoun scored when it was still Cris on the field and not the young Gonalons). Of course, Lloris' role was big in this result, but still, Toulalan and Gonalons played great match in defense. Gonalons even scored the tying goal ad was close to score another before it.

Tonight Ciani has already scored twice. Once against his own team though. Even if you don't count that, he still is Bordeaux's best scorer in CL. The one he scored to Bayern's net was assisted by Tremoulinas, who is having a great game.

Didi' date=' why do you think Bastos wasn't used at all against Liverpool? I was expecting to see the Merseysiders getting sucker-punched by his trademark thunderbolt. B)[/quote']

Good question. One could guess that Bastos hadn't completely recovered yet, except that he did play against Sochaux. Then again, he was exceptionally bad against Sochaux... maybe it was too early, maybe he needed more rest. Or maybe Puel is just bigger tactical master mind than we can imagine. :confused:

how is carrosso looking at Bordeaux? 89/90 next rating change?? :)

He is doing very well and has a good chance for 89. However, pretty much zero chance for 90. It is rare to get 90 in France and he has only recently joined Bordeaux. Perhaps after this season, perhaps not.

89 -> 89' date=' without a doubt at this stage. :)[/quote']

But suppose that he stays a starter, 90 isn't out of reach later. OL's starters are currently rated on quite wide range, but don't these ratings tend to get closer to their average? Gomis must be more consistent though, especially now that it seems that Gignac has cemented his place in l'EDF, so that likes of Gomis and Hoarau wont get chances easily. And Tafer has finally got to play too and is playing often better than Gomis, so he has some competition too, not to mention that OL can very well play with only one striker with Govou, Bastos and Delgado as wingforward options.

hey, just bout Gourcuff for 21 million, my only concern was is he worth it? i've heard people say 92, but it is the French league so surely there must be a cap on what he can reach?

realistically what can he hope to get next rating change?

also, has he been linked with any big teams around Europe, not that Brodeaux aren't a big team lol ;)