Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

I believe you mean Didi.. :o:)

Anyway' date=' I have something to say:

To cut to the point, I wish to tell all who are reading that I will be devoting much less time and effort to this project than I did up until recently.

As many of you have likely noticed in the past weeks, I have not been updating on weekend action nor any of the data in this thread. The cause of this has been all the football I am playing and the torturous quantities of schoolwork I have to do. I have recently only been able to spend up to a few hours on leisure, most of which I spend on things apart from this thread.

Another factor is the "output" my effort has. The typical scout will not tell you this, but I will: asking for a player's future rating when a clear, updated prediction on it is posted in plain ink, literally, can be quite irritating. It seems that although there are many who do use frequently the data I have posted, there still are a number who do not, which is quite a discouragement, I see more benefit in just answering questions.

Lastly, the French changes will come and go soon, and following it will be a significant stretch of time before the next changes. There is little benefit in analyzing, knowing, and posting data that is nearly useless for such a long duration.

Don't cry, I'll still be here. :P I just mean that I will not be returning to my systematic routine of reviewing every single week of Ligue 1 action and updating Ligue 1 statistics weekly. I will instead be popping in and out to post brief news updates and commentaries and to update the statistics and predictions.

Now, as I will not be here to post videos and review and preview games, I will be leaving the task to [url']http://france.theoffside.com/[/url], which is highly useful in all that it offers. I strongly recommend the site, as I refer to it for others' perspectives. The only thing that you will be missing out on from that site is emphasis on youngsters, so to make up for this I will focus more on discussing players' form, fitness, and development whenever I can.

~The Flipster. :P:D

Thanks for correcting me Phillipe! :) You have been a great help (along with Didi and a few others) Really you have and I and I'm sure everyone else appreciates the expert advice they recieve. Good luck with everything. Cant blame you for playing football more often eh? ;)

Lille in the Europa League lost 3-2 to Genoa, while Toulouse were shut out 2-0 by Shakhtar Donetsk. Frau and Gervinho scored for LOSC.

Here is the squad to face the Republic of Ireland:

http://www.ligue1.com/selections/EquipeFrance/lireArticle.asp?origine=RSS&idArticle=14457

Goalkeepers: Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Stève Mandanda (Marseille).

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Aly Cissokho (Lyon), Julien Escudé (Sevilla), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Rod Fanni (Rennes), William Gallas (Arsenal), Bakary Sagna (Arsenal), Sébastien Squillaci (Sevilla)

Midfielders: Abou Diaby (Arsenal), Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid), Yoann Gourcuff (Bordeaux), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Moussa Sissoko (Toulouse), Jérémy Toulalan (Lyon)

Forwards: Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse), Loïc Rémy (Nice), Sidney Govou (Lyon), Thierry Henry (Barcelona)

As the article states, this will be Lyon left-back Aly Cissokho's first time in the national team. Of course, he will most likely not be playing because of Patrice Evra.

Hugo Lloris is returning to the squad after being omitted due to injury during the last international fixture. I would love to see him start ahead of Mandanda. I just hope Domenech does so, too.

As for the attack, I think the only missing member is Franck Ribery. I can definitely see Toulalan and Gourcuff in midfield, with Henry and Gignac up front. I expect Malouda to be on one wing, but I have a feeling that Anelka will be playing on the other side (right wing), due to Ribery's absence.

I'll be looking forward to Moussa Sissokho subbing in and scoring a beauty. :D Or a few goals and assists from Gourcuff. ;)B)

The first leg will be on the 14th, and the second on the 18th.

This weekend will be very interesting, with a much of Ligue 1's top clubs facing off on Sunday. Toulouse will face Rennes, Lille will encounter reigning champs Bordeaux, and Lyon and Marseille face off.

Press kits (previews) from Ligue 1.com:

http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/lireArticle.asp?origine=RSS&idArticle=14462

As for Saturday, here are the probably line-ups:

http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/lireArticle.asp?origine=RSS&idArticle=14469

Nenê (Monaco), Matuidi (St.-Etienne), Costa (Montpellier), and Dzodic (Also Montpellier) are the only significant losses for any team (excluding Hoarau and Briand, both sustaining long-term injuries).

Lille in the Europa League lost 3-2 to Genoa' date=' while Toulouse were shut out 2-0 by Shakhtar Donetsk. Frau and Gervinho scored for LOSC.

Here is the squad to face the Republic of Ireland:

[url']http://www.ligue1.com/selections/EquipeFrance/lireArticle.asp?origine=RSS&idArticle=14457[/url]

Goalkeepers: Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Stève Mandanda (Marseille).

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Aly Cissokho (Lyon), Julien Escudé (Sevilla), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Rod Fanni (Rennes), William Gallas (Arsenal), Bakary Sagna (Arsenal), Sébastien Squillaci (Sevilla)

Midfielders: Abou Diaby (Arsenal), Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid), Yoann Gourcuff (Bordeaux), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Moussa Sissoko (Toulouse), Jérémy Toulalan (Lyon)

Forwards: Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse), Loïc Rémy (Nice), Sidney Govou (Lyon), Thierry Henry (Barcelona)

As the article states, this will be Lyon left-back Aly Cissokho's first time in the national team. Of course, he will most likely not be playing because of Patrice Evra.

Hugo Lloris is returning to the squad after being omitted due to injury during the last international fixture. I would love to see him start ahead of Mandanda. I just hope Domenech does so, too.

As for the attack, I think the only missing member is Franck Ribery. I can definitely see Toulalan and Gourcuff in midfield, with Henry and Gignac up front. I expect Malouda to be on one wing, but I have a feeling that Anelka will be playing on the other side (right wing), due to Ribery's absence.

I'll be looking forward to Moussa Sissokho subbing in and scoring a beauty. :D Or a few goals and assists from Gourcuff. ;)B)

The first leg will be on the 14th, and the second on the 18th.

Agree with your previsions. I'm quite positive Lloris will start on goal. He has been mmagical this season. Way better than Mandanda or any other. He is inarguably the reason to l'OL's success this season. The team as a whole has been far from convincing.

I don't believe in Sissoko playing, but have to admit that I was wrong about him last season. I just completely failed to see how skilled he is, when he played in such a defensive role. When he has been moved to more up front position he has shown how completely talented he is. Great promise.

I also am very positive that Anelka starts on wing, although I find this quite negative thing.

Probable starting lineup:

Lloris

Sagna-Gallas-Abidal-Evra

Toulalan

Anelka-Gourcuff-Malouda

Gignac-Henry

There's an ooption that Domenech throws Henry and Anelka on the flanks and only uses one pure striker (proably APG, he has been too good in l'EDF to be dropped out) while playing Lass on Toulalan's side.

Now, ideally.... eh, ideally the selection would not look like this. Where are the AM/wing players? Why haven't we really replaced Ribery at all? What on earth is Anelka still doing in the selection? Why the 6 strikers? Why isn't Menez in the selection?

I would make this selection play 4-3-3 with onyl one attacking midfield. Reality is, that Toulalan and Lass are solid passers and thus could support Gourcuff enough in midfield. Henry and Benzema are skilled guys to play wide forwards and APG would manage alone in the middle better than with some Anelka losing the balls. Absolutely no Abidal as CB. So:

Lloris

Sagna-Gallas-Squillaci-Evra

Toulalan-Lass

Gourcuff

Benzema-Gignac-Henry

In the event of Boumsong' date=' Bodmer & Cris all being available for selection, which pair do you guys think would Puel pick in the Lyon starting XI?[/quote']

I have a good feeling it will be Bodmer and Cris year-round, but I really prefer it not be so. As Didi has pointed out a number of times, Bodmer deserves to be in midfield. He used to play there exceptionally and still can. Puel just does not see it or hates Boumsong, I guess. :o

Can someone please tell me how:

Mavuba

Bodmer

Niang

are doing please

Mavuba is still captaining Lille and is a permanent part of the team for the season. Bodmer's future seems to be stuck in CB for the rest of his life. On the bright side, at least he will probably be the primary CB alongside Cris for the remainder of the season. Niang is an outstanding striker in great form. I love watching him play, even though I don't like Marseille. :)

Mavuba is still captaining Lille and is a permanent part of the team for the season. Bodmer's future seems to be stuck in CB for the rest of his life. On the bright side' date=' at least he will probably be the primary CB alongside Cris for the remainder of the season. Niang is an outstanding striker in great form. I love watching him play, even though I don't like Marseille. :)[/quote']

Great stuff so in perspective your saying,

Mavuba will stay

Bodmer is 50/50

and Niang rise ?

Great stuff so in perspective your saying' date='

Mavuba will stay

Bodmer is 50/50

and Niang rise ?[/quote']

Mavuba will be staying, but Bodmer's chance of rising is slim. The "bright side" just meant that he likely won't be dropping despite his fitness concerns. As for Niang, I would love to see a rise, but it wouldn't be easy, as a 92 is very high for L'OM (Lucho, the only one beyond 91, was already 93 when he got there).There is a slight chance of him rising, though, in my opinion.

Mavuba will be staying' date=' but Bodmer's chance of rising is slim. The "bright side" just meant that he likely won't be dropping despite his fitness concerns. As for Niang, I would love to see a rise, but it wouldn't be easy, as a 92 is very high for L'OM (Lucho, the only one beyond 91, was already 93 when he got there).There is a slight chance of him rising, though, in my opinion.[/quote']

Ok cheers for the reply :)

In the event of Boumsong' date=' Bodmer & Cris all being available for selection, which pair do you guys think would Puel pick in the Lyon starting XI?[/quote']

Pazzano is right though. Puel will prefer Cris and Bodmer in defense despite the fact that Bodmer should really play in midfield and Boumsong was way better than Cris last season. Cris is nowhere close to what he used to be. I'm sad to admit that, but it is true.

...should I be proven wrong and Puel would decide differently on defense, I would only be happy. Lyon should play, imo:

Lloris

Reveillere - Boumsong - Cris - Cissokho

Toulalan - Bodmer

Govou - Pjanic - Bastos

Lisandro

Or drop Pjanic, play Bodmer higher and add Gomis as second striker with Lisandro. But I think Gomis might start on bench because of an injury. Pjanic maybe isn't fully fit either. In that case, Ederson or Källström could take his place. In fact, I think they should buy a new CB, but to be realistic, from that squad they can't really drop Cris.

Great stuff so in perspective your [Philippe] saying,

Mavuba will stay

Bodmer is 50/50

and Niang rise ?

He is saying that everybody's staying. :D Seriously, no rise for Niang in OM anymore. They're not even winning anything.

You should know that I follow Ligue 1 quite frankly and that my favourite team in the whole world is Lens.

In that case, today must have been one happy day for you.

Philippe must take joy of Nice's late victories as well? Ain't that right?

However, the most surprising succesful team this season must be Auxerre. Third at this point with & games won in row in all silence. Jelen and Niculea as strikers? And that's the best part: do they have any other midfields except Pedretti? Sorin starting on goal? Saving penalties? And they're third in ligue 1... something very strange is happening.