Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

I hate asking questions when they have quite possibly been answered before but could anyone please help me with the rating of Pjanic? he is now considered the future of Lyon is this right? wat does everyone think he can acheive in the future? just by looking at stats and stuff I was thinking that he might go from 87 to 88/89??

also what about Moussa Sissokho he seems to be doing well, is he in for an 86 - 88?

Help is much appreciated and thanks in advance, and apolofies in advance if these Qs have already been answered :o:p

As is to be expected, the players and managers have not responded to the "Game of the Century", as dubbed by the Ligue 1 site. What they have to say is very reasonable, too. Both sides are disappointed in some way at the final outcome - Marseille are upset about falling from a two goal lead to a goal behind in a matter of minutes, while Lyon are annoyed of letting the final goal to be scored.

Marseille manager Didier Deschamps said, "We have to feel a certain frustration after a game like that. I know the Sunday night match is the big gala and that all the fans at home must have had a great time seeing all the goals, the spectacular football, the incredible scenario. But as a coach, and like Claude Puel, I suspect, I can't be satisfied with my team's performance. There were a lot of mistakes and things that need improving."

The final sentence was backed up by M'Bia, who claimed, "We relied on our excellent defense. Tonight we saw an excellent attack. We have to find the right balance." Abriel also agrees. Although pointing out that his side "scored 11 goals in two games after [Champions League win over] Zurich", the midfielder also stated, "we also have to be more solid at the back because we were leading 4-2 with ten minutes left. We should have shut up shop. We ran the full gamut of emotions out there. We showed great courage to fight back in the first half after our terrible start. But we shouldn't have to score five or six goals every game to have a chance of winning." Rightly so. No matter how much the fans enjoy it and how much fame you get in football history from a 5-5 draw, for the players even a 1-0 probably would have been better.

Lyon were somewhat more optimistic, pointing out more positivity than negativity, to me. Puel congratulated his players, praising them for coping with such a bizarre game. On the downside, he said, "Marseille were physically stronger than us though, as is revealed by the fact they scored three goals from set pieces." I actually did not notice that statistic before reading the reactions... I was sort of pointed out by Didi that Cris and Toulalan were weak during corners, and it proved the defining factor in the end. They were indeed spectacular in the open play, playing with 100% effort, but once the ball was dead, they seemed to fall back to 50%. Meanwhile, Pjanic spoke more on the emotional side, saying, "We thought we'd done enough to win it. To see OM equalise again was just devastating. No doubt it was great to watch, but for us... it's a real shame."

I think both sides contributed in an important lesson in football - no matter how fierce your attacking play is, you have no chance in winning if your defense falters or if your side, at any point, believes that it has already won the game. I would understand. I'm an Arsenal fan. :P:D

Told you all;)

Whaaaaaaaaaat a match!!!!

You've got quite a sense of smell, Scooby. :P

Crazy stuff. And to think I decided to rewatch 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi' instead. :o

Are Toulalan & Gonalons Lyon's only two DMs? It's pretty weird that Puel, of all people, hasn't seemed too interested in sorting out the defensive side of their game.

You've got quite a sense of smell' date=' Scooby. :P

Crazy stuff. And to think I decided to rewatch 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi' instead. :o

Are Toulalan & Gonalons Lyon's only two DMs? It's pretty weird that Puel, of all people, hasn't seemed too interested in sorting out the defensive side of their game.[/quote']

They have Bodmer to as they can use on several positions but he plays better on the midfield and they've also got Makoun but he's more of a CM, so yes Lyon need to adapt more deep into their defence.

How is Carrasso doing for bordeaux i have the oppurtunity of buying him will he get a rise ??

Buy him' date=' he will rise to 89 and maybe 90 in the spring.[/b']

You've got quite a sense of smell' date=' Scooby. :P

Are Toulalan & Gonalons Lyon's only two DMs? It's pretty weird that Puel, of all people, hasn't seemed too interested in sorting out the defensive side of their game.[/quote']

Well, there's Bodmer, who should play DM. Then there are Makoun and Källström, none of them is genuin DM, but Pulel uses them to fill that position.

What on earth is the thing that you prefered to this match of the century? :eek:

To add to what Philippe said: I think Deschamps also mentioned the fact that they lost almost all the duels in open play and was very unsatisfied with that especially. This also is tru, especially Toulalan, Cris and Cissokho were very effective in winning every battle, the corners excluded. In the other end Govou and especially Lisandro won a horse load of balls from OM:s defense.

I'm not a big fan of high scoring games in fact. The tension usually stays better with fewer goals and I feel that goals tend get boring if scored too many. This was different. The tension was enormous throughout the match and what crazy goals we saw too! A legendary ligue 1 match and I'm happy that I saw it. Can't say that very often after a footie match in fact. To be honest, these days the game is most of the time boring to watch.

The so called "good tactical play" has become the synonyme of cowardy and killing of the game. This is why I stopped following football almost completely for few years, until Pep's new Barça showed me again why I used to watch it. :::And then Blanc's and Gourcuff's Bordeaux last season, that was great.

I believe the Lille-Bordeaux match would have bored us close to death, just like any Serie A match last round. Only the results turn to be interesting (like Lille winning Bordeaux, which is interesting, unlike the winning effort apparently) and what's the interest if the match itself is boring? Matches like last night's OL-OM are needed more. All too seldom is such a drama seen on football fields without referee making the most of it. This time ref did what he had to, pretty much perfect game from him, and the teams built huge, dramatic spectacle, with courageus, skilled, yet fair game. Games rarely are fair and dramatic same time, usually they're neither. We witnessed an event of fair and dramatic matchup of top class footballers, and that is very rare imo. ...and with a hint of tragedy as heroic Toulalan ended up scoring the decisive own goal.

How is Carrasso doing for bordeaux i have the oppurtunity of buying him will he get a rise ??

Very likely 89. Some say he could get 90, but that's very high keeper rating in ligue 1. Of course, the level has risen. Still, I'd say that to get the 90 he should win the league or win something at least. Remember that he did not win league last year, Ramé did. Ramé has been excellent for years and years and was stuck to 89. So far Carasso has done nothing more than what Ramé did during the late years.

Very likely 89. Some say he could get 90' date=' but that's very high keeper rating in ligue 1. Of course, the level has risen. Still, I'd say that to get the 90 he should win the league or win something at least. Remember that he did not win league last year, Ramé did. Ramé has been excellent for years and years and was stuck to 89. So far Carasso has done nothing more than what Ramé did during the late years.[/quote']

Thanks for the help all :)

Well' date=' there's Bodmer, who should play DM. Then there are Makoun and Källström, none of them is genuin DM, but Pulel uses them to fill that position.

What on earth is the thing that you prefered to this match of the century? :eek:

To add to what Philippe said: I think Deschamps also mentioned the fact that they lost almost all the duels in open play and was very unsatisfied with that especially. This also is tru, especially Toulalan, Cris and Cissokho were very effective in winning every battle, the corners excluded. In the other end Govou and especially Lisandro won a horse load of balls from OM:s defense.

I'm not a big fan of high scoring games in fact. The tension usually stays better with fewer goals and I feel that goals tend get boring if scored too many. This was different. The tension was enormous throughout the match and what crazy goals we saw too! A legendary ligue 1 match and I'm happy that I saw it. Can't say that very often after a footie match in fact. To be honest, these days the game is most of the time boring to watch.

The so called "good tactical play" has become the synonyme of cowardy and killing of the game. This is why I stopped following football almost completely for few years, until Pep's new Barça showed me again why I used to watch it. :::And then Blanc's and Gourcuff's Bordeaux last season, that was great.

[b']I believe the Lille-Bordeaux match would have bored us close to death, just like any Serie A match last round.[/b] Only the results turn to be interesting (like Lille winning Bordeaux, which is interesting, unlike the winning effort apparently) and what's the interest if the match itself is boring? Matches like last night's OL-OM are needed more. All too seldom is such a drama seen on football fields without referee making the most of it. This time ref did what he had to, pretty much perfect game from him, and the teams built huge, dramatic spectacle, with courageus, skilled, yet fair game. Games rarely are fair and dramatic same time, usually they're neither. We witnessed an event of fair and dramatic matchup of top class footballers, and that is very rare imo. ...and with a hint of tragedy as heroic Toulalan ended up scoring the decisive own goal.

Wait wait hold on Didi, what are you talking ''just like any Serie A match'' what that's crazy!

Atalanta Juventus 2 - 5

Bari Livorno 1 - 0

Bologna Palermo 3 - 1

Cagliari Sampdoria 2 - 0

Catania Napoli 0 - 0

Genoa Siena 4 - 2

Inter Roma 1 - 1

Lazio Milan 1 - 2

Parma Chievo 2 - 0

Udinese Fiorentina 0 - 1

Wait wait hold on Didi' date=' what are you talking ''just like any Serie A match'' what that's crazy!

Atalanta Juventus 2 - 5

Bari Livorno 1 - 0

Bologna Palermo 3 - 1

Cagliari Sampdoria 2 - 0

Catania Napoli 0 - 0

Genoa Siena 4 - 2

Inter Roma 1 - 1

Lazio Milan 1 - 2

Parma Chievo 2 - 0

Udinese Fiorentina 0 - 1[/b']

Ligue Un is more competitive and overall a better league IMO.

The fans, the passion, the lack of ultras, the overall style and quality of the football and the loyalty to French players make the Ligue Un better than the Serie A.

I'm not a big fan of high scoring games in fact. The tension usually stays better with fewer goals and I feel that goals tend get boring if scored too many. This was different. The tension was enormous throughout the match and what crazy goals we saw too! A legendary ligue 1 match and I'm happy that I saw it. Can't say that very often after a footie match in fact. To be honest' date=' these days the game is most of the time boring to watch.

I believe the Lille-Bordeaux match would have bored us close to death, just like any Serie A match last round. Only the results turn to be interesting (like Lille winning Bordeaux, which is interesting, unlike the winning effort apparently) and what's the interest if the match itself is boring? Matches like last night's OL-OM are needed more. All too seldom is such a drama seen on football fields without referee making the most of it. This time ref did what he had to, pretty much perfect game from him, and the teams built huge, dramatic spectacle, with courageus, skilled, yet fair game. Games rarely are fair and dramatic same time, usually they're neither. We witnessed an event of fair and dramatic matchup of top class footballers, and that is very rare imo. ...and with a hint of tragedy as heroic Toulalan ended up scoring the decisive own goal.[/quote']

Fair point. Big games these days are indeed seldom short of controversies provoked by the ref taking centre stage. And few could've written a better script than one with Toulalan ending up as the tragic hero. :o

An Indian movie. ;)

Wait wait hold on Didi' date=' what are you talking ''just like any Serie A match'' what that's crazy!

Atalanta Juventus 2 - 5

Bari Livorno 1 - 0

Bologna Palermo 3 - 1

Cagliari Sampdoria 2 - 0

Catania Napoli 0 - 0

Genoa Siena 4 - 2

Inter Roma 1 - 1

Lazio Milan 1 - 2

Parma Chievo 2 - 0

Udinese Fiorentina 0 - 1[/b']

Well, I admit I didn't watch any of them, because I supposed it to be not worth of my time (have lots of things to do). Was any of them any good? I mean, just that Juve bangs 5 goals doesn't make the match a classic. I suppose Napoli's victory in Torino was way sweeter match, but I don't really know what happened there either. Like, Lille's victory over Bordeaux was interesting, but the match wasn't. Chelsea-ManU was perhaps interesting matchup, but the game was mostly played between bad actors and a referee who judged their ugly game. Those were games worth noting - if you follow football - but not necessarily worth watching. Ligue 1 produces quite often games well worth watching, my experience of Serie A is that it doesn't.

Are these still correct

Their stats are not updated' date=' of course, but Béria could still stay; however as he seems more of a replacement for Debuchy, he has a slight chance of dropping (so it should be 87 -> 86/87). Muratori's prediction is correct.

Ligue Un is more competitive and overall a better league IMO.

The fans, the passion, the lack of ultras, the overall style and quality of the football and the loyalty to French players make the Ligue Un better than the Serie A.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, although its teams are all inferior to their Premier League counterparts - and strike me dead if I'm exaggerating - I think the unpredictability and style in French football exceeds that in the Premier League. Then again, I might just not be a fan of the physical demands and the passing game the British play. (As a Vietnamese living in the States, I have a fairly unbiased view... :P)

Well' date=' I admit I didn't watch any of them, because I supposed it to be not worth of my time (have lots of things to do). Was any of them any good? I mean, just that Juve bangs 5 goals doesn't make the match a classic. I suppose Napoli's victory in Torino was way sweeter match, but I don't really know what happened there either. Like, Lille's victory over Bordeaux was interesting, but the match wasn't. Chelsea-ManU was perhaps interesting matchup, but the game was mostly played between bad actors and a referee who judged their ugly game. Those were games worth noting - if you follow football - but not necessarily worth watching. Ligue 1 produces quite often games well worth watching, my experience of Serie A is that it doesn't.[/quote']

So you are saying that when it stands 3-0 to Genoa and Siena scored two goals in the second half that the match is still not intresting?!

Hey Didi :)

What's your views on these players and are they worth buying:

Marama VAHIRUA

Cédric HENGBART

Ireneusz JELEN

Mahamane TRAORÉ

Kafoumba COULIBALY

Chaouki BEN SAADA

Thanks in Advance' date='

Daniel :)[/quote']

Very interesting questions. These players are very little spoken of, but some of them are important players in well doing clubs that did not do so well prior to this season.

Lorient is high, fifth only 4 points from Bordeaux. Vahirua has played most of the season and been very good so far. Not only productive otherwise, he has also banged 5 goals, second only to Gameiro in his club. He could see a rise to 88. Definitely not dropping. He used to be a sort of a promising player in Nantes once.

Auxerre may be the sensation of the season. Few bad seasons and a team not expected to win much, but they're 3rd. Hengbart has been arguably their best player. Played 11 matches and 916 minutes, solid, supporting attack well, even scoring twice so far. Nothing really new, has been good for a long time. Rating of 87 has been explainable by Auxerre's low league positions. Also, this year he has been more impressive than before. A rise to 88 probable, definitely not dropping. A solid, little noticed, but well respected ligue 1 full back.

Jelen, then, is sort of onedimensional player imo: he scores and doesn't do much else. 4 goals this season are good though. When he's fit he starts. I don't know really, he might get 1 plus as well. Or might stay.

I don't know what's your interest, but these are rather old players and thus not really expensive. All of these three are safe buys. And will be useful for any poorer mid table team. No big stars though.

Mahamane Traoré is a Nice player and I recommend that you ask from Philippe, who surely knows more about him. I don't really find anything special in him. 84 is just fair. He plays occasionally, but not particuraliry well, for what I know. I don't know him much though. Might even see his rating go down by one, if doesn't get more time on field.

Pretty much same goes for Coulibaly. 83 is just fair. He doesn't play too much and I don't see him as particularly talented player. I have only very little seen him though.

Nice hasn't been excellent, despite of their few impressing surprise victories. Ben Saada isn't amongst my favorite players and Nice doesn't really rely on him, although he plays perhaps about half of the minutes that are possible. He isn't bad, but again, 85 is fair. I don't believe he'll go much higher than that ever. He has had time to show his level and I think he has done just that. If he keeps his place and Nice doesn't go back to the relegation zone, he should be able to keep his rating.

I have questions regarding some players I own or might buy also. Thank you for any help. :)

Sigmary Diarra.

Pedretti (Can he get 90 at some stage?)

Kevin Diaz

Djamal Bakar

Joel Sami

Abdoul Camara

Souleymane Camara

Romain Hamouma

Xavier Tomas

Bakary Sako

Aurelian Chedjou

I have questions regarding some players I own or might buy also. Thank you for any help. :)

Sigmary Diarra.

Pedretti (Can he get 90 at some stage?)

Kevin Diaz

Djamal Bakar

Joel Sami

Abdoul Camara

Souleymane Camara

Romain Hamouma

Xavier Tomas

Bakary Sako

Aurelian Chedjou

Answer only to few:

Diaz should go nicely up. He was rated quite low, somewhere around 72. He should go up to 78 at least imo. Romain Hamouma was only recently added and I doubt him rising. He is one of the most important players of his team and should eventually go over 80, perhaps to 83. Not in these changes though. I doubt 90 for Pedretti, though I admire his game. He used to be a big promise. He is very good now, but didn't make it in the big clubs when it was his time... I hope the best for him, but doubt anything over 89 in Auxerre. I'm not sure, but I recall Chedjou not playing much this season. If that hasn't changed recently, I doubt him rising. Should stay though.

Edit: I might underrestimate Diaz. Ajaccio is now a mid table club in ligue 2 and Diaz amongst the best players, playing a lot and well. He might go to 80+.