Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Hi Phillipe, any chance that Pedretti could get a 90 after the next France changes, if Auxerre keep up a CL spot as they are doing. I purchased him in a certain setup where you hammered me in the last match. :mad:

Also is there anywhere on the net I can see the Ireland v France game? I could watch it in the pub, but it's 20 dollars in to see it.

Here's a juicy article from the French theoffside.com blog... The blogger asks a simple but definitely debatable question: What is the biggest club in French football?

http://france.theoffside.com/french-football/debate-the-biggest-club-in-ligue-1.html

This is a question without a clear answer and one which causes fraught arguments among Ligue 1 fans worldwide, so we at the Ligue 1 Offside thought we’d start a discussion. There are several answers that frequently come up, along with a few unusual options. I’ll briefly list them here…

AS Saint-Etienne: Sainte have a very strong argument, having won the Ligue 1 title more than any other club, 10 times in total. There was also a period in which they were one of the biggest clubs in Europe, although they have no continental trophies to their name.

Olympique de Marseille: OM are another of the major candidates, having won the title eight times, over a longer period, and since consistency is arguably an important factor in club status, this provides a bonus for OM. They are also one of the richest clubs in France, and have had considerable success in European competition, winning the inaugural Champions League.

Olympique Lyonnais: They are the richest club in France and by far the most successful over the last decade, winning seven titles from 2002-2008. The international stars they have attracted along with their greater foreign recognition make them another prime candidate.

FC Nantes: Although currently languishing in Ligue 2, Nantes have also won the title eight times, most recently in 2001. Another club with a strong history in France, though they have had limited success in Europe.

AS Monaco: Although not technically in France, AS Monaco is a key element of French football. They have won the title 7 times in their 85 year history, and participated in the Champions League final in 2004. They also host a world-beating array of former players.

Stade de Reims: Quickly after of the conception of the league, Reims became the dominant force. They won six titles from 1949-62, and achieved strong positions in the European Champions Clubs Cup. However, since then the club has fallen in status, and currently resides in the Championnat National, the third division.

FC Girondins de Bordeaux: The defending champions have a fairly strong history, but their main claim to the throne would be their current form. First place in Ligue 1 and top of their difficult Champions League group.

AJ Auxerre: They’ve never been relegated from Ligue 1. If that’s your criteria, than AJA is the largest club in France. Otherwise, you’d be hard pressed to find a reason.

So, what are your thoughts? Which club is the biggest in France? If you think I’ve left anything out, tell me in the comments. This is now open for discussion.

I think it all depends on the criteria you have for the "biggest" club. I think it must be a club that has titles - obviously - but has never slumped, especially in recent years. I think Marseille wins in the consistency battle, which has me convinced. They are prominent in UEFA competitions, as well.

Still, my vote is far from set in stone, as many of these clubs are great candidates. Definitely shows the competitiveness of French football, in any case. :D

So it sounds that after the ratings change (when they will hopefully rise) they are probably not worth keeping hold off. I may keep hold Placide to see how he progresses but as I've got the real Lyon keepers anyway I appear to have as you have said got the next 10-15 years wrapped up.

Thanks.

PS Great thread' date=' I've been building a Lyon team based around mainly French players with a few Brazilians and Argentines. I've hopefully got myself half the Le Blues team of the future:

CISSOKHO, Aly

TRAORE Armand

RAMI, Adil

SAKHO, Mamadou

SISSOKO, Moussa

Abou DIABY

M'VILA

GOURCUFF

FEGHOULI

YATABARE, Sambou

GIGNAC

Guillaume HOARAU

Not sure why I'm telling you this, guess I'm just chuffed.;)[/quote']

I'm quite sure Hoarau will never make it to l'EDF. At most, he will be tried one or two times. I don't believe much in Yatabare either. There's huge competition for his place and young Biabiany will be selected before Yatabare. Rami has been a surprise call to l'EDF. He won't last. I'm very sure he'll never make an essential part of A team. Traoré could have the chance, but he plays tough position. Too much competition, he'll never be selected before Cissokho, Glichy, Tremoulinas and later perhaps Kolo. Feghouli has shown nothing since what, season before last season. That time he only showed some potential. I have way more faith in Ben Arfa than in Feghouli.

Oh, btw, Placide and Olimpa quite surely will both have 87-89 rating one day. I just don't see them to make it to the selection.

Hi guys' date=' need your opinion on one player: Arnold MVUEMBA. What do you think about his performances for Lorient? And what do you predict his rating will go to? Thanks a lot, and kudos to both for all your work and advice on here. :)[/quote']

Mvuemba has been playing really well in Lorient, he is definately a riser but with the rating max at Lorient I can see him rising +2 or +1.

Here's a juicy article from the French theoffside.com blog... The blogger asks a simple but definitely debatable question: What is the biggest club in French football?

http://france.theoffside.com/french-football/debate-the-biggest-club-in-ligue-1.html

I think it all depends on the criteria you have for the "biggest" club. I think it must be a club that has titles - obviously - but has never slumped' date=' especially in recent years. I think Marseille wins in the consistency battle, which has me convinced. They are prominent in UEFA competitions, as well.

Still, my vote is far from set in stone, as many of these clubs are great candidates. Definitely shows the competitiveness of French football, in any case. :D[/quote']

l'OM are in my opinion the ''biggest'' club in France, the tradition, the atmosphere, the history, the trophies......

Look at the players that has played there, Drogba, Cantona, Barthez(:D:D), J-P Papin, Cana, Desailly and many more.

Hey' date=' how is Ben Arfa doing this season? He was being hyped up a lot when I first joined but it seems to have died down a lot lately and he hasn't played many games this season. Is he still playing well?

Thanks. :)[/quote']

Is out of favour in l'OM, Deschamps prefer a three mens attack with Niang, Brandao, Koné.

Mvuemba has been playing really well in Lorient' date=' he is definately a riser but with the rating max at Lorient I can see him rising +2 or +1.[/b']

Thanks mate, well seeing the surprisingly good start to the season that Lorient are having I was very much hoping for +2 rise. I think they lie 5th currently.

Hi Phillipe' date=' any chance that Pedretti could get a 90 after the next France changes, if Auxerre keep up a CL spot as they are doing. I purchased him in a certain setup where you hammered me in the last match. :mad:

Also is there anywhere on the net I can see the Ireland v France game? I could watch it in the pub, but it's 20 dollars in to see it.[/quote']

Pedretti gives me flashbacks to 2003-04 where he was so highly rated and almost everyone thought he could be something big alongside Pierre-Alain Frau, we all know now how things turned for both of them. I really can't see him rising to 89 in Auxerre, the rating cap there is 89, he have to do something extra or Auxerre have to play in CL next season otherwise he can't reach higher at l'AJA.

Hope it's true FORZA MILAN!

Milan Join Race For Toulouse Starlet Moussa Sissoko - Report

The Rossoneri are keen on the youngster, but they could face a duel with Inter for him, according to the Italian media...

Milan are ready to pilot their way towards landing Moussa Sissoko from Toulouse during the winter transfer window.

According to Puntosport.net, the Rossoneri chiefs are hopeful the move will take flight. The report suggests the 20-year-old French international is being closely monitored by the Italian giants.

They are keen to add young players to the midfield mix as Andrea Pirlo, Gennaro Gattuso and Massimo Ambrosini are all over 30.

Sissoko has been compared to namesake Mohamed of Juventus because of his ability to break up the play and launch attacks.

However, a number of big sides around Europe, including Inter, have laid eyes on the promising talent.

There have been no concrete bids tabled for the player as yet.

are there any u21 youths that have a rating below 80 but will rise to 80+ in the changes?

Oh yeah, there are plenty.Changes rolling and few have occurred already (like Gaffory 76→80, for my disappointement as I expected more), but following names top my list (not that I might be bit optimistic, if you take Gaffory, for example, as a point of reference):

ROUX, Nolan 70→80/81

LE MARCHAND, Maxime 76→81/80*

KANA-BIYIK 75→81/80

TABANOU, Franck 78→82/83*

NOGUEIRA, Vincent 74→83

GOULON, Darry 76→83/84

CORCHIA, Sébastien 77→83/84

BELHANDA, Younes 76→84/83***

LANGIL, Steven 78→84**

M'VILA, Yann 75→82

GONALONS, Maxime 78→84*

SERTIC, Gregory 74→82

PLACIDE, Johnny 75→81

Three player's over 21-year-old but U80-rated and in for a rise to mention especially :

THEBAUX, Alexis 74→84/85

OVONO, Didier 76→84

MABIALA, Larrys 77→82/83

Other low-rated risers to mention include Tafer, Kolo, Giroud, Pichot, Jourdren, Diaz, Brahimi*, Gueye, Rivière and Ndinga.

*Player is has only lately been added to DB, and thus might not rise at all, or have a significantly smaller rise than he really should. But wait for the spring changes and he'll have one juicy rise.

**There's good player for comparison in Toudic, who was just recently added with rating of 84. Langil has had at least as big part in Caen's immense success this season and should get same rating. You may argue that Toudic is a better player, I for myself do prefer Toudic's flashy, fast style of play, but if you look at the statistics, and as long as neither of the two is selected the MVP of ligue 2 it is statistics that matter, Langil is just as good as Toudic, if not better.

***Significantly better rating than that of other players of his level is explained by Montpellier's good form.

Oh yeah' date=' there are plenty.Changes rolling and few have occurred already (like Gaffory 76→80, for my disappointement as I expected more), but following names top my list (not that I might be bit optimistic, if you take Gaffory, for example, as a point of reference):

ROUX, Nolan 70→80/81

LE MARCHAND, Maxime 76→81/80*

KANA-BIYIK 75→81/80

TABANOU, Franck 78→82/83*

NOGUEIRA, Vincent 74→83

GOULON, Darry 76→83/84

CORCHIA, Sébastien 77→83/84

BELHANDA, Younes 76→84/83***

LANGIL, Steven 78→84**

M'VILA, Yann 78→83/82

[b']GONALONS, Maxime 78→84*[/b]

SERTIC, Gregory 74→82

PLACIDE, Johnny 75→81

Three player's over 21-year-old but U80-rated and in for a rise to mention especially :

THEBAUX, Alexis 74→84/85

OVONO, Didier 76→84

MABIALA, Larrys 77→82/83

Other low-rated risers to mention include Tafer, Kolo, Giroud, Pichot, Jourdren, Diaz, Brahimi*, Gueye, Rivière and Ndinga.

*Player is has only lately been added to DB, and thus might not rise at all, or have a significantly smaller rise than he really should. But wait for the spring changes and he'll have one juicy rise.

**There's good player for comparison in Toudic, who was just recently added with rating of 84. Langil has had at least as big part in Caen's immense success this season and should get same rating. You may argue that Toudic is a better player, I for myself do prefer Toudic's flashy, fast style of play, but if you look at the statistics, and as long as neither of the two is selected the MVP of ligue 2 it is statistics that matter, Langil is just as good as Toudic, if not better.

***Significantly better rating than that of other players of his level is explained by Montpellier's good form.

I doubt he will rise by that much, he was added to the DB not to long ago. In my opinion 78--->80/81.

Hi guys' date=' what are your opinions on Michael Cianni ? Is he worth the buy? Thanks in advance[/quote']

Worth buying but maximum of +1 for now. Won't rise 90 just yet, that takes more than joining the reigning champions. Less often mentioned Planus, who has started for Bordeaux for years now, should hit 90, instead.

from what i heard sebastian corchia is a brill player but is playing for an underachieving club. has he been linked to anyone besides chelsea and is the move likely?

I discussed this just few posts ago: at least OL, Juve and Inter are interested. Still hope that it will be l'OL.

Hey' date=' how is Ben Arfa doing this season? He was being hyped up a lot when I first joined but it seems to have died down a lot lately and he hasn't played many games this season. Is he still playing well?

Thanks. :)[/quote']

He gets to play very rarely and doesn't always use his chances. Every now and then he is excellent when he comes in as a sub, but sometimes he is just completely transparent. I think that if Deschamps wants to keep Arfa, he should let him start more often.

Worth buying but maximum of +1 for now. Won't rise 90 just yet' date=' that takes more than joining the reigning champions. Less often mentioned Planus, who has started for Bordeaux for years now, should hit 90, instead.[/quote']

Woops, thought Ciani was rated 87 that's why I said ''or even +2''.

So, as many of the U21 players have only lately been added to database or have only broke through this season, their rises may occur bit slowly and after some disappointements in autumn changes, they should reach nice heights at spring.

Say, Gaffory, who only got 80 yesterday, is very likely to go up to 83/84 at spring. And Roux, who is likely to only get 80 now, should go up to 83/84 as well. Why is that? Because, 1. he has replaced both Brest's strikers, currently rated 82 and 83 ; 2. he does something neither of them has ever done: scores a lot of goals ; 3. Brest is doing better than in the previous seasons. Le Havre defensemen will also reach ratings of around 84 during spring etc.

Also players like Sertic, Gonalons, Nogueira are likely to get better ratings at spring. Exceptions are players like Corchia, who already broke through last season after the spring changes. So, Corchia should hit at least 83 this autumn. Goulon might stay lower exactly because he broke through only this autumn. Both should have ratings around 85/86 next spring, but there's a problem with Le Mans fighting against relegation. Corchia is likely ot have a transfer to a bigger club though.