Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

Philippe Nguyen

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

They proved that they can beat the big teams (in their own back yard to boot in the case of the Italians) when they topped a group with Bayern Munich and Juventus.

There's a good feelign about this team' date=' like there is about the Chilean national team at the moment (who I hope to see make the quarters/semis as ridiculous as it may sound to those who didn't see any of their qualifyign campaign); and as you said they could eb the new 'Porto' in the Champion's League.

They've got a young coach from their own country with a Deco-esque Gourcuff leading the charge.

They'll take some beating at all in the Champion's League, never mind at home.

Let them get to the semis, then they'll be hungry and you just couldn't write them off, not against Chelsea nor Barcelona. ;)[/quote']

I've really tried to hard to find a dig and to disagree somewhere, but I just can't. A++ post (would've been A+++ if not for your grammar)

P.s. BOO-YEAH!

I've really tried to hard to find a dig and to disagree somewhere' date=' but I just can't. A++ post (would've been A+++ if not for your grammar)

P.s. BOO-YEAH![/quote']

Please ignore the following common Spam spelling mistakes:

'ng mixup': Clapping = Clappign

'be mixup': be = eb (:o)

Two others which I'll no doubt remember! :P

Let's just say that I'm not going to be the one to write off Bordeaux.

Well' date=' they've got an easy first draw, let's not deny that. However, I really like this Bordeaux - they play with style, they've got a french magician and one of the best coaches around now (in my opinion anyways). Kind of reminds of a certain team with white jerseys some time before :)

Bordeaux management hit a jackpot with Gourcuff and Blanc. They've took this team into the next level. I'm sure that while not many will agree, Bordeaux right now is a force to be reckoned with not just in France, but in Champions League as well. I can see them taking out some favourites and with luck, maybe they'll achieve what Porto did few years back B)[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. Thing is, that Bordeaux already showed that they don't need an easy draw. Was it Triaud or Blanc who said about their group, after hearing that they were drawn in same group with Juve and Bayern, that they can win it. That was immediate response, while in Lyon and Marseille people talked about their tough opponents. This answer didn't reflect the level of the opponents, but the confidence of the club. The success of les Girondins on group stage has perhaps surprised everyone in Europe, except for the club itself; and it's fans.

Most of all I agree with you about Bordeaux playing with style. This is the reason to support Bordeaux: they win and they do it playing very good football no matter what. Bordeaux was very good team before Blanc and Gourcuff came in and I completely agree that these two guys were just what this all-around good team needed to become a serious threat on European level.

I said some months ago that we should now wait for Bordeaux to win CL this season. I still can't see why they couldn't do it. I know that when you look at the papers, Real and Barça are on their own level, but then again even Barça lost to some Kazan at home. I'm sure that Bordeaux can beat any team in CL, while some of the biggest, especially the Italian and English teams, are anything but convincing.

Now we need to hope that all players agree to stay at least for this season. I believe they do. Even Chamakh who wanted to move has lately said that he is willing to play this season in France and why not when they have good chance for success in Europe. Can't see Tremoulinas and Gourcuff leaving just now. Either of these two leaving would damage the team too seriously.

Dabo is rumored to join Dortmund' date=' [b']shame he could join a bigger club.[/b]

Barracuda is not going to be happy.

And what do you mean by that remark, young man? Hmm? *does that raised-eyebrow thingy a la The Rock, again*

He's pretty good, right? We need a new first-choice LB, what with Dede's injuries and all.

And what do you mean by that remark' date=' young man? Hmm? *does that raised-eyebrow thingy a la The Rock, again*

He's pretty good, right? We need a new first-choice LB, what with Dede's injuries and all.

Dabo is pretty good, yeah. He hass actually a cap for France, but then again, who hasn't during Domenechs reign:rolleyes:.

The Rock is the greatest wrestler of all time in my opinion, and I do watch wrestling on regular basis.

eyebrow.jpg

Should I Buy Tremoulinas Or Taiwo?

According To Your Ratings' date=' Tremoulinas Is Best. But Who Has The Better Future And Is The Better Player?[/quote']

Tremoulinas is definately a good defender in my opinion, but Taiwo is the best in Ligue 1 currently. Go for Taiwo, he will soon play in PL (his dream). And his free-kicks aren't bad too;)

Forgot him. Cissokho is the best' date=' but Taiwo is better than Tremoulinas![/b']

In open play, though, I find Tremoulinas being the better one. I don't very often see Taiwo sprinting down the pitch flinging in crosses and such... maybe I haven't watched him closely enough, but that's what I've seen. And yes, Cissokho is the best. :D

Just to notify all... I'll be back to posting regularly for the January transfer window, probably updating everyone on transfer news daily. After that, I won't be posting so often until the next review comes around. I'll also resume updating stats when it does.

For now, some rumours to preview for January... Leko and Tavlaridis are probably leaving Monaco and Saint-Etienne, respectively. Gasp! :P

Bastos is getting interest from Italy. He's only just joined Lyon for about half a year. Jeez, of course he won't leave. :rolleyes:

Genoa have their gaze set on Fernando of Bordeaux and Costa of Montpellier. This Fernando rumour has made a Cabaye-to-Bordeaux move a bit more credible, but I think Garcia will keep Cabaye on a second thought. Cabaye at Bordeaux would be sweet though. Costa is probably too good for Montpellier to ditch. I would prefer he stay, anyway.

Here is a post from the French Offside on Lille, claiming them to be the best in France and actually capable of posing a serious threat to any team in Europe. So I decided to make my own take on this. :)

My take on Lille's recent form…

EDIT: WOAH This turned out longer than I thought. I clearly got carried away. Please bear with me. :o:p Also, anything in [brackets] is a footnote. SM Forum doesn't let me keep it as a superscript, which is how I made it when I typed this up.

As much as I can agree that Lille's form has been magnificent as of late and that they are among the best in France, I doubt even they can take on the likes of Chelsea, Barcelona, and Inter. Keep in mind that, during the start of their current Ligue 1 rampage, they have lost 3-1 away to Valencia in the Europa League, and a few weeks before that, they lost during their visit to Genoa in the same tournament. This is not to say that they do not pose a threat to soon become a very prominent side. In fact, they have been a huge success this season, bouncing back magnificently from 14th place to rise to 3rd, with a massive chance of mounting up for a title race against FCGB.

Lillecopy.jpg

Above is a screen shot taken of Lille's recent matches in all competitions [1], as recorded one the Ligue 1 site. At the top, you can see their ascent beginning. An unchallenged 2-0 victory over Grenoble, in the league, that is, was followed by a shocking 2-0 triumph over reigning champions Bordeaux. Gourcuff was present, as was Chamakh, Carrasso, Diarra, and the usual defense. Les Girondins were not just beaten by chance, but they were clearly outplayed if you see the stats.

Lille did fall victim to Montaño's brace for Montpellier the next week, but their resilience showed during a 4-0 win against Valenciennes, in which Gervinho really came out of the closet (last season, as pointed out by the blogger, this guy was labeled as spectacular on the ball but horrid on the shot). The Ivorian winger from Le Mans again shone during Lille's 4-3 thrilling defeat of Lyon, in which he also bagged a brace. It is again worth noting that luck had no part, and that the statistics point to an overwhelming superiority from Lille offensively; in all of these wins, they dominate in shots and crosses despite having only around 50% possession.

Against St.-Etienne, a third consecutive win ensued in which Lille scored a quartet of goals and literally were twice as strong as their opposition in the attack. The next week brought another 4-0, against Monaco, bringing Lille's tally to 16 goals in just four matches encompassing about just two weeks. On top of that, they had their away game against Valencia, which, despite losing 3-1, should have added to the moral and physical stress on the players. It seemed to only boost their will to win. Their game at Monaco ended, as usual, with dead even possession but a plethora of shots. Such is their productivity in attack. Their 3-0 beating of Le Mans was more of an act of humiliation, as LOSC allowed MUC only a trio of shots, proving that the Lille defense is just as worthy of mention.

Time to draw some points, most of which the French Offside blogger failed to draw or detail.

Home Advantage

Woe is the next team to visit the Stadium Lille-Metropole. Lille have scored the most home goals in Ligue 1 this season [2], having raked in 21 of them at their home stadium. This is out of the 248 home goals scored in Ligue 1 so far, an average of 12.4 home goals per team. In addition to their attacking prowess, Lille's Week 1 loss to Lorient has been their only home loss since April, in any competition. Their ability to strike with such venom on their own pitch has proved critical to their campaign, as they stand a mere 9th place in the away table [3], with just 12 goals. In fact, Lille have been losing most of their away games. In the Europa League, this pattern is consistent, as Lille have performed amazingly when hosting teams outside of France. Hell, they are yet to lose at the Stadium Lille-Metropole against foreigners. However, when they themselves are beyond the French border, the 3-1 loss to Valencia and 3-2 loss to Genoa speak for themselves.

Offensive Productivity

Another significant fact to point out, in case one has not yet induced so from the aforementioned match statistics, is that Lille have the uncanny ability to overwhelm their opposition with torrential salvos of shots. Standing above all others in the attack table [4], they have amassed the highest number of shots in the league - eight more and they hit 300 shots [5]. A glance at the Shots by Player list shows that there is a heavy reliance on a team effort, rather than a single player [6]. Worth noting also is that teams that have a player ranking highest in shots are in relatively low positions - Gignac, with the most shots, plays for 14th place Toulouse, Monaco, who have Nenê in their ranks, are 12th, and despite Le Tallec's shot record, Le Mans are still 18th. In fact, all the teams with more than one player in the top 30 shooters are doing much better than the ones that have only one or none, regardless of the players' shot counts. Auxerre are the only exception, but their defense has been the primary factor in their success. The conclusion that can be drawn is that it is not clinical strikers or star players that win you the most goals, but rather a brilliant team effort. This club is a demonstration of proper team play and the axiomatic expression, "you have to shoot to score goals".

The Brilliance of Rudi Garcia

Credit must go where credit is due. Garcia has been a quality manager for Lille. His past has always been bright. Between the years of 2002 and 2007, after acting as co-coach of Saint-Etienne, Garcia managed Dijon, promoting them to Ligue 2 and bringing them to second-tier glory [7]. His departure to Le Mans was followed immediately by a severe drop in form for Dijon, but during his one season at the head of Le Mans, he brought them to their highest ever position in history [8].

Now at Lille, he has already proved himself in the transfer market - despite losing Michel Bastos to Lyon for 18 million euros [9], the arrival of Gervinho for just 8 million has more than paid off [10]. With more than half a season to go, Gervinho's goal tally, currently sitting at 9, is very likely to transcend Bastos' 14-goal record last season. Additionally, it is inarguable that renowned prospect Eden Hazard's skills make the Ivorian (and in turn the Belgian) just about unstoppable.

Garcia's decision to keep center-back Adil Rami at all costs has also spoken for itself, as Rami ranks higher than any other Ligue 1 defender in match performances, according to L'Equipe's ratings [11]. The addition of Landreau, who joined from PSG, has been worth it, as well; a proper replacement for Malicki, who was not quite the level Lille was at. Landreau has had only 8 appearances this season, though, as he was injured until Week 11, but since then, in 8 games, he has conceded only 5 times. That's 0.625 goals conceded a game. Yes, the numbers are a bit low to be jumping to conclusions, but that technically better than any other goalkeeper - Lyon keeper Lloris, for example, has conceded 21 in 17, or about 1.235 concessions a game.

I really see no action of Garcia's that I can contest against; the departures of Fauvergue and Tafforeau were well justified, as were all those minor reserve team changes. And whatever Garcia is teaching the team during practice is working miracles. The players play every time like it's FIFA on amateur mode. Brilliant stuff. His team's latest victory, against his old team Le Mans (who are now plummeting without him, like Dijon was the season before ), has been their 7th in 4 weeks. What sort of steroids are they getting from him? Or is it the fitness coach? In a time when every team is struggling as they play two or three times a week, Lille are cruising through, laying waste to an exhausted Ligue 1.

Today, Nancy host Lille OSC Metropole, undefeated in the league in six games, tipped to bag another 3 or 4 goals, and not looking like conceding a single one. This is one hell of a season for Ligue 1.

References

Footnotes

1.Lille Schedule

2.Home Table

3.Away Table

4.Attack Table

5.Shots by Club

6.Shots by Player

7.Dijon Club History

8.Le Mans Club History

9.Wikipedia - Michel Bastos

10.Wikipedia - Gervinho

11.L'Equipe Average Ratings

Other Pages

Ligue 1 Transfers (Summer 2009)

Lille Squad

Lille Statistics

Indeed, Garcia who first got sacked during summer has got his team back in form after ruining its spirit completely during summer... or was it seriously him who ruined it or the other teams trying to buy all the best of the LOSC players? I agree with Garcia, LOSC is the most interesting project in French football at the moment and the management was very right to keep the players even to their annoyance.

Philippe is very right to point out Landreau. Hated in PSG because of one bad season, he was excellent in Paris last year and this season he has been even better.

One thing Philippe doesn't mention about LOSC's offensive productivity is playmaker Cabaye, who's late great form has been probably the biggest factor in creating scoring chances (consider his poor form in early season). Not only do his set pieces result scoring chances almost always, but also his accurate, fast passes forward to the fast wingers Hazard and Gervinho are constantly breaking the opponents defense.

Anyway, LOSC on the top is best thing that could have happened in already great season. It has been one big Christmas for French footie fans this autumn.

Allez Eduardo et Lens!!!

Scored the only goal of the match against ASSE in the 90th minute. Sadly for ASSE' date=' as they're fighting for relegation. It would be a shame if a classic club like them, slip out. Anyway I'm a happy man now!:D

[url']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnXbASPUbs[/url]

That was a pretty blatent tackle from Matuidi... I honestly had a very, very good feeling that he was gonna chip the penalty. :eek:

I'm P.O.'d. I finally get my Nancy-Lille stream working and it's halftime. At least I saw the halftime highlights. I'm not the slightest bit surprised that Gervinho set up Hazard for the goal. Gervinho-Hazard proves lethal again.

Edit: Cabaye is absent today. Could that be having an impact on Lille's performance so far?

Edit2: Splendid strike from Gervinho. Great contribution from Hazard, who caught the entire defense by surprise with his counter-attacking sprint down the left flank. Meanwhile, AJA hold a 1-0 lead at the Vélodrome. :eek:

59': PENALTY! Gervinho forces a red-card tackle out of Sami, and Frau sends it home. 3-0. Lille are looking impenetrable in defense, and Hazard and Gervinho cease to bore me. Now, Nancy are not just outgunned, but outnumbered. Lille aren't done. This is probably the best counter-attacking football I've seen in a long time. Many expect such heavily offensive play to be punished by a counter-counter-attack, but the Lille defense has been playing spectacularly and tirelessly. De Melo comes on for Frau, and rightly so.

At Marseille, AJA are holding up really well, despite a recent handball appeal, which the referee dismissed.

73': Nice are down 2-1 against Boulogne. BOULOGNE. :(

At Nancy... Guess who assisted and who scored? Hazard and Gervinho. 4-0. Yawn :D

79': Oliech doubles his goal count and Auxerre's lead. Marseille are now down 2-0.

FT: 4-0 it is for Lille. The rampage continues. AJA's 2-0 win allows Lille to hit 2nd, 6 points off Bordeaux. Auxerre themselves are now 5th, level in points with Marseille. At the Stade Gerland, Montpellier bounce back from back-to-back defeats to triumph over Lyon. 2-1 is the final score in Montpellier's favor. Lyon need to get things sorted out. They've spent weeks losing and drawing. They're 6th now, while Montpellier ascend to 3rd once more. Lorient's victory sees them leapfrogging VA, while Le Mans stay put thanks to a 1-1 draw against Monaco, who rise above Nancy by a point. If Toulouse are unlikely to beat Bordeaux, who will be 9 points clear of the rest of the league if they win. I doubt anyone's betting on a TFC victory, though. Currently, only 9 points separate 2nd place Lille from 15th place Sochaux. What a hell of a season.

http://atdhe.net/11283/watch-toulouse-vs-bordeaux

14 minutes in, 2 goals already :eek:

Will be updating live here:

19': Chamakh's run nearly sets him up for a goal, but Fofana stops him for a corner. Toulouse is known this season more for their defensive record than their offensive one - they have conceded just 14 goals this season (before this game kicked off), 2nd to none other than Bordeaux, who have conceded 11.

27: Gignac nearly pulls of a spectacular sly nutmeg on Planus, but fails... Gourcuff shows off with an awesome backheel flicked pass. :eek:

36: Still nothing special in terms of shots, but this game has yielded a lot of great tackles and tricks. Nice to watch, but goalkeepers have been pretty unneeded so far.

HT: Except for a great through ball by Gignac to set up Sissoko, who was stopped by Carrasso, nothing has happened since the 8th minute equalizer from Chamakh... Toulouse have been able to hold Bordeaux back and keep them in the middle third most of the time, while Bordeaux's defensive line has been containing Gignac just enough.

So Bordeaux win 2-1. Some silky skill from Gourcuff put Chamakh through, only for M'Bengue to bring him down and get himself sent off 17 minutes from time. Wendel's resultant freekick deflected off Fofana's head and into the net to earn les Girondins all 3 points.

Gourcuff played so well. His vision, skills, passing, movement and eye for goal were all on display tonight. Very unlucky not to score during a counter-attack as Valverde got a touch on the ball to send his shot crashing onto the inside of the post and back out.

Disappointed with Gignac's performance tonight. Despite getting into a few good scoring opportunities, he wasted them by shooting straight at Carrasso. You just knew he wouldn't score from that freekick they got near the end.

Oh, and poor Chamakh, getting manhandled at both ends of the pitch. Thought he looked ready to cry. That was a Triple H-esque kick on him by Carrasso late in the second half. :D

I'm P.O.'d. I finally get my Nancy-Lille stream working and it's halftime. At least I saw the halftime highlights. I'm not the slightest bit surprised that Gervinho set up Hazard for the goal. Gervinho-Hazard proves lethal again.

Edit: Cabaye is absent today. Could that be having an impact on Lille's performance so far?

Edit2: Splendid strike from Gervinho. Great contribution from Hazard' date=' who caught the entire defense by surprise with his counter-attacking sprint down the left flank. Meanwhile, AJA hold a 1-0 lead at the Vélodrome. :eek:

59': PENALTY! Gervinho forces a red-card tackle out of Sami, and Frau sends it home. 3-0. Lille are looking impenetrable in defense, and Hazard and Gervinho cease to bore me. Now, Nancy are not just outgunned, but outnumbered. Lille aren't done. This is probably the best counter-attacking football I've seen in a long time. Many expect such heavily offensive play to be punished by a counter-counter-attack, but the Lille defense has been playing spectacularly and tirelessly. De Melo comes on for Frau, and rightly so.

At Marseille, AJA are holding up really well, despite a recent handball appeal, which the referee dismissed.

73': Nice are down 2-1 against Boulogne. BOULOGNE. :(

At Nancy... Guess who assisted and who scored? Hazard and Gervinho. 4-0. Yawn :D

79': Oliech doubles his goal count and Auxerre's lead. Marseille are now down 2-0.

FT: 4-0 it is for Lille. The rampage continues. AJA's 2-0 win allows Lille to hit 2nd, 6 points off Bordeaux. Auxerre themselves are now 5th, level in points with Marseille. At the Stade Gerland, Montpellier bounce back from back-to-back defeats to triumph over Lyon. 2-1 is the final score in Montpellier's favor. Lyon need to get things sorted out. They've spent weeks losing and drawing. They're 6th now, while Montpellier ascend to 3rd once more. Lorient's victory sees them leapfrogging VA, while Le Mans stay put thanks to a 1-1 draw against Monaco, who rise above Nancy by a point. If Toulouse are unlikely to beat Bordeaux, who will be 9 points clear of the rest of the league if they win. I doubt anyone's betting on a TFC victory, though. Currently, only 9 points separate 2nd place Lille from 15th place Sochaux. What a hell of a season.[/quote']

Indeed, either Cabaye is smaller factor than I've been saying or LOSC would have won this 8-0 with Cabaye. :D

Anyway, I still insist on this: Cabaye has been pure excellence lately, combining perfectly with Hazard and Gervinho, while he was rather awkward in early season.

And yes, I agree: what a season!!!

Great post on Lille Philippe. Gives an insight into the wonderful season they're having. But, they are being completely overshadowed by Bordeaux right ?

Real Madrid are also being linked to Tremoulinas who people csay could be the next Lizarazu but I haven't seen anything special from him. I'd prefer Cissokho.

How did Lyon do last night btw ?