Official French Ligue 1 & 2 Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FRENCH RATINGS All the stats from the top of Ligue 1 to the bottom of Ligue 2 First post contents 1. Preface 2. Announcements 3. Post Format 4. Ligue 1 Table and Teams (Links) 5. Ligue 1

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2 Here is a post from the French Offside on Lille, claiming them to be the best in France and actually capable of posing a serious threat to any team in Europe. So I decided to

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2 Yes. In my opinion he should be tried. He should have been a few years ago when he played for Le Mans' date=' in fact. But now more than ever. I base this on two things: 1.

Re: French Ligue 1 and 2

Is Remy Riou Of Auxerre Going To Rise?

Doesn't play at the moment, so I doubt. Then again, Sorin just got injured and will stay out for some time, during that time it's Riou's chance to show what he can do. Riou doesn't lack talent, I have been surprised that Sorin is preferred to him, but Sorin has been good, so I can't really argue that being a bad choice.

A week has now passed and we may be starting to get somewhere with these rumours.

Completed Transfers

Mateja Kezman's loan spell at Zenit St. Petersburg, and the forward has returned to PSG after bagging a pair of goals in 10 appearances for the Russian side since his departure from the French capital last Summer.

Le Mans have allowed the contract of 30-year-old full-back Saber Ben Frej, who has failed to accumulate any more that seven minutes of game time this season, to reach its end. The Tunisian will now become a free agent.

On the incoming side, Almin Abdi, a 19-year-old FC Zurich midfielder according to Ligue1.com, will be joining Le Mans. Supposedly, the Zurich youth academy product has scored 19 times in just 12 matches last season, helping Zurich to winning the Swiss Axpo Super League. However, other sources state Abdi is in fact a 23-year-old and his first name is Almen, and these sources seem more qualified to deal with these statistics that Ligue1.com does. Wait a second. I scouted this guy a year ago. :eek: Well, that gives me the extra reason to support him at Le Mans. :D

Grenoble have sold off Laurent Macquet to Ligue 2 side Vannes OC. The 30-year-old midfielder has exceeded his peak and only played seven times this season.

Auxerre have also sent one of their players to Ligue 2, selling forward Kevin Lejeune to FC Nantes, who has played eight times for AJA this season and scored a single goal.

Transfer Rumors

Jean-Claude Dassier, the chairman of L'OM, has claimed there to be only a five percent chance of Hatem Ben Arfa leaving Marseille this January. The talented youngster has had Manchester United on his tail for years, with Spurs and Sevilla now wanting the 22-year-old. Dassier claims that there never were any suspicions that Ben Arfa would leave, nor did he ever intend to leave. Still, Dassier admitted that Marseille could well be tempted into selling him if a team like Manchester United or Real Madrid came by and offered about 45 million euro's for him. Marketing strategy. I think Blanc or some other manager has even confessed that managers generally say such things and claim their players to be "irreplaceable" just to bump up their price tags.

Toulouse winger Fode Mansare could be saying farewell to TFC after another fruitless year, his fourth season spent since leaving Montpellier back in '05. Wolves are said to be after the 28-year-old, who has a year and a half left in his contract and is likely to be sent on loan rather than sold directly. A six-month loan with an option to buy is expected.

Lens have dismissed claims that Aruna Dindane and Nadir Belhadj are going to return from Portsmouth. Aruna Dindane has spent the 2009-10 season so far at Portsmouth on loan, with an option to buy. Belhadj spent the previous season under the same terms, but has actually been bought by the Premier League side. With Portsmouth in financial instability and having not yet paid for the pair of players, some have speculated a possible return to Lens for both. However, Gervais Martel, Lens' chairman, insists that other clubs are already intent on purchasing them should they not stay at Pompey and that they would not be coming back to Lens.

Speaking of Portsmouth, John Utaka could be on his way to Sochaux. The Nigerian striker claims that he would definitely join Sochaux if they guaranteed him plenty of game time leading up to the World Cup in June. If he does join, he'll be replacing Maurice-Belay beside Sverkos for sure, at least until Davies is fit again.

OGC Nice are after San Lorenzo defender Renato Civelli and Middlesborough midfielder Didier Digard. Patrik Governatori, the club's president, has stated his desires to reel in the two players, and, as is becoming a bit of a motif here, would only have them join on loan, with an option to buy. Digard in fact has already has his offer accepted and should be joining Nice this weekend. He will cost six million euro's for Olle-Nicolle to buy. Civelli's near future is still in question, though.

Boulogne have crept closer to reaching an agreement with Wigan Athletic involving Olivier Kapo. The 29-year-old winger demands playing time, and Boulogne could easily supply him with that. If he joins them, yes - it will be a loan deal with an option to buy. :P

As the African Cup of Nations kicks off, a lot of Ligue 1 players will be leaving, OGC Nice being the hardest hit, with eight of their players leaving this month. Here is a full list of players leaving by team.

Dassier is from his own planet. Getting someone to pay 45 million for Ben Arfa? That could have been possible year or two ago, if payer was Chelski or some other overly rich club, but now? LMAO. Anyway, didn't Marty say just in december that usually when you say a player being indispensable he will be sold the next day. Seems like Arfa is on move. If Mancini really joins Marseille, as is supposed, then I would bet Ben Arfa to leave right after Valbuena during this winter mercato. but in my opinion they seriously should give Arfa the last chance, because he might just be the most talented player of the squad. If they keep Arfa, there's no way to keep him on bench when there are injuries, because he just hasn't got the mental maturity to wait on bench, he will get all mad and stop talking to GM etc. Then again, perhaps this keeping him on bench and showing that OM can do without him has been a strategy to mature him a bit so that he won't act as if he was the God's gift to football whenever he gets back on field and does some of his sweet little tricks.

I myself wouldn't have Ben Arfa in my squad, and it is because of his personal problems. He is too unreliable. I would rather have consistent guys like Sessegnon, Valbuena etc. Then again, players do grow up. Anyone noticed how consistent and mature Le Tallec is now? And remember what a spoiled little kid he was just few seasons ago.

I need a CB around the 91 mark' date=' I was looking at Mathieu Bodmer from Lyon?

Wise or not? :o[/quote']

I haven't myself bought him anywhere because of the unstable situation. It is clear that Lyon needs a real CB as they only have Cris (too old), Bodmer (natural CM) and Boumsong (well, he is Boumsong). Buying a good CB would make it useless to play Bodmer as a CB. Also, as Lyon is not doing amazingly well it might be that Puel gets sacked at some point and new coach takes the lead. Now, turning Bodmer into a CB is Puel's strange idea that followed his even stranger idea that Makoun would be a good DM. So, there's little certainty that Bodmer will really develop in that position. Otherwise he should be somewhat secure. Of course, OL playing as they are, no one's high rating is secure. But in my opinion Bodmer still is an excellent player and has started to play well as a defender too. ...he should just get back to the midfield and he would have a chance to make it back to the EDF and have an rating increase

It's still a long way to next rating changes' date=' so who knows, but at this point I just have to pose the obvious question: [b']why on earth would he?[/b]

I Dont Know, Thats Why Im Asking :P

Ill Take That As A No Then...?

About a third of the month has gone by, and still not much apart from loans with buying options. In fact, we are still to get any big move anywhere…

Completed Transfers

Olivier Kapo of Wigan Athletic has finally wrapped up a deal to join struggling Boulogne on a six-month loan basis. The 29-year-old winger has not been capable of getting any game time at the DW Stadium, and will be looking to do so in Ligue 1. Kapo stated that he can't wait to smell the sweet aroma of victory at Boulogne. Too bad he'll be waiting a long time for that. :o:P

The only other transfer completed was the departure of Fabien Laurenti from Lens. Another loan. The center back, who only appeared five times this season for Lens, will spend the rest of it playing for Stade Brestois.

Transfer Rumours

Roberto Mancini to Olympique Marseille has been the center of all the news this past few days. The Internazionale Milano winger, who has dropped down the pecking order under Jose Mourinho's reign, is looking to find success elsewhere, and Marseille are supposedly the favorites to grab the 29-year-old. L'OM's manager, Didier Deschamps, expressed on Saturday his hope that a deal would be agreed in the "next few days".

Not much else happened. Bordeaux chairman Triaud stated recently that Fernando Menegazzo, who has been heavily linked with a move to Genoa, is unlikely to leave the reigning champions, as both the club and the coach, Laurent Blanc, want to keep him.

Lastly, Rennes' Olivier Thomert is supposedly being chased by Premier League sides Blackburn Rovers and Fulham. On top of that, the out-of-favor left winger is also being pursued by PSG.

About a third of the month has gone by' date=' and still not much apart from loans with buying options. In fact, we are still to get any big move anywhere…[/font']

Completed Transfers

Transfer Rumours

Roberto Mancini to Olympique Marseille has been the center of all the news this past few days. The Internazionale Milano winger, who has dropped down the pecking order under Jose Mourinho's reign, is looking to find success elsewhere, and Marseille are supposedly the favorites to grab the 29-year-old. L'OM's manager, Didier Deschamps, expressed on Saturday his hope that a deal would be agreed in the "next few days".

Wonder what will happen at l'OM if this deal goes through. I mean, Ben Arfa and Valbuena is already given some limited playing time and if Mancini arrives one of them will surely leave. I bet it will be Valbuena who leaves first.

Wonder what will happen at l'OM if this deal goes through. I mean' date=' Ben Arfa and Valbuena is already given some limited playing time and if Mancini arrives one of them will surely leave. I bet it will be Valbuena who leaves first.[/quote']

I understood this deal is set now. Anyway, Valbuena's position was clear even before it: everybody has confirmed Valbuena will leave now and was it Dassier who said that Valbuenna surely goes before Arfa? Deschamps interestingly used both Arfa and Valbuena in cup and especially Valbuena was great. Of course, that's just cup, but still. Is there a consensus that there's more to hold on about Ben Arfa, or is it just that Deschamps chose to kick Valbuena (ex-coaches favorite player) out when he came to club (as I thought before season and still think)?

What's strange is that there's for some reason very little interest to Valbuena at the moment. Somehow he doesn't seem to get the merit for the things he has done. Is it because of his small frame? He's a clearly talented player on sale for relatively cheap but I haven't heard there being much interest to him nevertheless. Where should he go? Well, I recall saying this before the season too, but I repeat it: at least Liverppool could use a player like Valbuena. How about the competitors: PSG could use Valbuena on right flank and if Bordeaux indeed does sell Fernando there would be place for a new midfielder, although I expect rather someone playing more central and defending role (Cabaye? No chances, perhaps, but would still be my choice). More probable might be a transfer to a smaller club of course. Where? Any suggestions? Is it really so no one needs this guy?

What's strange is that there's for some reason very little interest to Valbuena at the moment. Somehow he doesn't seem to get the merit for the things he has done. Is it because of his small frame? He's a clearly talented player on sale for relatively cheap but I haven't heard there being much interest to him nevertheless. Where should he go? Well' date=' I recall saying this before the season too, but I repeat it: at least Liverppool could use a player like Valbuena. How about the competitors: PSG could use Valbuena on right flank and if Bordeaux indeed does sell Fernando there would be place for a new midfielder, although I expect rather someone playing more central and defending role (Cabaye? No chances, perhaps, but would still be my choice). More probable might be a transfer to a smaller club of course. Where? Any suggestions? Is it really so no one needs this guy?[/quote']

I remember Liverpool where interested in him but he was prepared to snub them for a chance to move to Spain. Think it was Atletico who where originally the favourites but now they have had a total re-haul.