Carles PUYOL

Guest kraven

Could PUYOL get back to 97 (lost a point last year). started every game so far, bar 1 as a sub. Still in Champions League(fav's i think??). Barca way ahead in league with only 10 goals conceded. If they continue with this form and Puyol keeps fit and SM doesn't take his age into account, could he hit 97 again?

Re: Carles PUYOL

Although he's a top player and sometimes gets some harsh criticism from certain sections of the press in particular, I don't feel he's worthy of a 97. He wouldn't figure in my top 5 CBs in the world and to award him a 97 would make him the top CB in SM. He's a fighter and works his socks of, but is not blessed with natural skill or postional sense in my opinion. I would suggest Barcelona's miserly defence is more to do with their constant attacking putting other sides on the back foot and also due to the performance of Xavi and Yaya Toure in particular in breaking up the attacks of other sides. I'm a fan of him as a player, but would be disappointed if he was to achieve the 97 rating :o:)

Although he's a top player and sometimes gets some harsh criticism from certain sections of the press in particular' date=' I don't feel he's worthy of a 97. He wouldn't figure in my top 5 CBs in the world and to award him a 97 would make him the top CB in SM. He's a fighter and works his socks of, but is not blessed with natural skill or postional sense in my opinion. I would suggest Barcelona's miserly defence is more to do with their constant attacking putting other sides on the back foot and also due to the performance of Xavi and Yaya Toure in particular in breaking up the attacks of other sides. I'm a fan of him as a player, but would be disappointed if he was to achieve the 97 rating :o:)[/quote']

No offence mate but i think you are talking a lot of rubbish, do u even watch la liga matches at all. He always makes great saving tackles and can certainly pass a ball very well, also why do defenders need tons of skill if this was a midfield/forward player we were talking about i'd understand. And lastly who are 5 CB's that are better than him? granted Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry and Carvalho have good qualities but i still feel Puyol has that little bit extra.

P.S. making him 97 would not make him the best CB he already holds that record

No offence mate but i think you are talking a lot of rubbish' date=' do u even watch la liga matches at all. He always makes great saving tackles and can certainly pass a ball very well, also why do defenders need tons of skill if this was a midfield/forward player we were talking about i'd understand. And lastly who are 5 CB's that are better than him? granted Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry and Carvalho have good qualities but i still feel Puyol has that little bit extra.

P.S. making him 97 would not make him the best CB he already holds that record[/quote']

Mate you need to calm down, it's my personal opinion and probably that of alot of other members (I'll happily hold up my hands if and admit I'm wrong if everyone agrees with you) :) . Don't try and patronise me by asking me whether I watch La liga matches as I've probably seen more La liga matches than you've had hot dinners :rolleyes: . I don't see anywhere in my post where I said he doesn't make great tackles or where I questioned his passing skills, because I know he does. You obviously missed the part where I said I'm a fan of his :rolleyes: . My point was simply that his positional sense is not as good as other defenders out there. The four you mentioned certainly have better positional sense than him as does Nesta and a few others I can think of :) .

Like I said, if you feel he is the best CB in the world, fair play to you, that's your opinion and I'll respect it. I don't think it's too much to ask for you to respect my opinion that he isn't, rather than coming on here suggesting I'm talking rubbish and don't watch La Liga games.

No way should Puyol be a 97 LOL.

I'm a Liverpool fan and I'd have Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry and Carvalho ahead of him any day. His positional sense is poor if you watch him closely. That is why you see him diving around into last ditch tackles so often; because he's in the wrong place to start with.

I believe those 4 I listed should be listed higher than him TBH. Can someone explain why they aren't as they are all regular starters for Man U and Chelsea who have won their domestic titles as well as being successful in Europe, certainly more so that Barca. They all start for their countries too so despite the fact I hate United and Chelsea I can't understand how someone like Puyol is rated higher than them.

I might get pelters for this, but I've always believed that Puyol is a far better right back than he is a centre back. As someone mentioned earlier, Puyol's positional sense isn't the best and a lot of that is masked by how good Barca are going forward which limits how much the opposition can think about attacking themselves. Puyol has all the perfect attributes for a full back. He's powerful (low centre of gravity), he's fast, energetic and a very good tackler. He, for me, however lacks two of the most important qualities that a modern day centre back should have which are good positional sense and one that nobody can argue with, height. Just think for a minute how Puyol would fair in the English Premiership for example at centre back. Think of all the crosses into their box that centre backs like Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry and Carvalho have to deal with an awful lot more in a game than the likes of Puyol and Marquez etc. Would Puyol deal with those crosses as well the defenders mentioned above. Standing at 5'9" I personally don't think he would. In short, I think Puyol plays at centre back for Barca because it suits their style of play but do I think that Puyol would play at centre back at a club like Man Utd at the expense of a Ferdinand or a Vidic then the answer is no I do not.

VIDIC should be 96/97 at the end of the season' date=' much better than terry more stronger and better on the ball and also better in the air!![/quote']

can't agree with you in one thing....Terry is the best defender in air, maybe even the best player in the world in air. He's very good in corner kicks because his headers are dangerous for goalkeeper and to the other team defenders it's very hard to block his headers.

Terry is the best defender in air' date=' maybe even the best player in the world in air.[/quote']

Although I dislike Chelsea and Terry, I give credit where its due, and Terry is one of the best Center backs in the world, but compared to several years ago his aerial ability has turned to ****. Barring that one great header for the NT, his back problems and other injuries have really hampered him and his desire to head to head the ball.

VIDIC should be 96/97 at the end of the season' date=' much better than terry more stronger and better on the ball and also better in the air!![/quote']

mate 2 things wrong with that post....

1 It hasent got to do with this thread and 2 he has had 2 red cards already this season (i think) so his challenges cant be that good ;)

and dont be like Fergie saying the ref is mad :rolleyes:

I have always admired Puyol's sense of defensive discipline and hard work. I have seen Ferdinand and Vidic as well as many other top defenders play, but I can't say that they are better than Puyol tactically or work rate wise. I think he is the best defender in the world, because he combines great tactical game and great work rate, he is actually one of the smartest football players around. In Spain MARCA gives him stick for him being out of position, but in an interview, and quote: Puyol was asked why does it seem that you are always out of position: He responded that

A) In Barcelona he has a very defensively sound player behind him usually Marquez so he can afford to make a more risky play interception, seeing that Marquez can clean up if this works against him.

B) He knows that his physical aspect is very strong and thus he can afford to put himself in a position making the defense appear vulnerable, leading the attacker to want to exploit it, but Puyol anticipating it, can use his physical presence to knock the player before he is able to take the space Puyol purposefully gives him.

Now I thought like many of you that he was among the best defenders but not neccesarily the best, but after looking back at his games through the interviews points I can notice that he is one of the smartest, and personally the best defender in the world right now.

I have always admired Puyol's sense of defensive discipline and hard work. I have seen Ferdinand and Vidic as well as many other top defenders play' date=' but I can't say that they are better than Puyol tactically or work rate wise. I think he is the best defender in the world, because he combines great tactical game and great work rate, he is actually one of the smartest football players around. In Spain MARCA gives him stick for him being out of position, but in an interview, and quote: Puyol was asked why does it seem that you are always out of position: He responded that

A) In Barcelona he has a very defensively sound player behind him usually Marquez so he can afford to make a more risky play interception, seeing that Marquez can clean up if this works against him.

B) He knows that his physical aspect is very strong and thus he can afford to put himself in a position making the defense [i']appear[/i] vulnerable, leading the attacker to want to exploit it, but Puyol anticipating it, can use his physical presence to knock the player before he is able to take the space Puyol purposefully gives him.

Now I thought like many of you that he was among the best defenders but not neccesarily the best, but after looking back at his games through the interviews points I can notice that he is one of the smartest, and personally the best defender in the world right now.

Wow! thats all came from a Real MAdrid supporter!

With all do respect to Ferdinand Carvalho Bosingwa and Vidic - Puyol is the best CB in the world. He has proven that both in club and in international level. There is no attacker in the world that can pass Puyol 1 on 1. Take that from Real Madrid fan. Sergio Ramos is performing like 2 classes below Puyol.

Vidic is the only player that could take his title but only if he plays this good for at least 2 more seasons.

Thats my oppinion.