English Championship 17 Middlesbrough Season Reports

Guest cabbytoodles

Guest cabbytoodles

I took Middlesbrough in English Championship 17 as I was scouring through the older ECs and I saw that Middlesbrough had a pretty decent squad. I'll be hoping to compete with the "Bigger Boys" hopefully with the right tactics. :)

Caleb

Guest cabbytoodles

Re: English Championship 17 Middlesbrough Season Reports

50_1201894192.gif

Middlesbrough unveils Caleb as the new man at the helm!

Division 1 mid-table club have unveiled Caleb as their new manager following the resignation of previous manager Lanky following a five-match losing streak in the league. Middlesbrough currently sit in 10th place after 16 games. They trail leaders Chelsea by 12 points.

Said Caleb upon his arrival.

"I'm over the moon with the chance to work at a big club like Middlesbrough. My aim for this season would be to climb the league table and perhaps continue our cup run. We certainly have the players to do so."
Guest cabbytoodles

50_1201894192.gif

Caleb unveils first signing in major coup.

BosingwaES_468x483.jpg

Portuguese pacey full-back Bosingwa arrives at Middlesbrough from Sevilla.

In what was described by many as a transfer shocker, 26-year-old right-back Jose Bosingwa turned down a mega-million contract offer from English powerhouse Liverpool to sign for mid-table side Middlesbrough. The decision of Bosingwa was said to be influenced by Middlesbrough's manager Caleb sincerity and assurance that the club is looking to move forward.

Said Bosingwa to the English media upon his unveiling.

"I decided not to join Liverpool after Albin Alex (Liverpool's manager) could not give me the assurance of first-team games. Caleb on the other hand sat down with me and laid out his plans for Middlesbrough, he wanted to make Boro a premiership force in the near future. Money is not the reason for my move to the Riverside Stadium. Liverpool offered me more."

It is rumored that the deal overseeing the arrival of Bosingwa was thought to involve a part-exchange deal - defenders Dos Eller and Angel Lopez left for Sevilla, while a futher 10 million fee would be paid to Sevilla once Bosingwa makes his debut for Middlesbrough.
Guest cabbytoodles

50_1201894192.gif

Caleb appoints Mahamadou Diarra as new Boro captain.

p1_diarra_0125.jpg

The new captain of Middlesbrough, Mahamadou Diarra. Athletic and determined.

Caleb has appointed Malian international Diarra as his new captain following his taking over the reins just one day ago. Caleb was said to be keen on appointing someone who is vocal and a good attitude and Mahamadou Diarra was said to have impressed him.

Said Caleb to the club's website, manutd.com.

"Diarra is a lad with great leadership capabilities. I've no doubt he'll be the right man to lead the team."

The Soccermanager Times also managed to catch up with Diarra and get what the Malian international had to say on this.

"Oh I'm surprised and pleased. I was expecting someone more experienced like Ambrosini to inherit the armband. But now that I'm entrusted with this responsibility, it'll be a great honor to lead my team out to matches. I'll definitely give my all for the squad."
Guest cabbytoodles

50_1201894192.gif v 44_1201797906.gif

Match Preview: Middlesbrough vs Liverpool

10th placed Middlesbrough host Liverpool, 3 places above them at the Riverside Stadium in new manager's Caleb first game in the dugout.

Middlesbrough Team News

Injured: Farfan (Strained Wrist), Taddei (Bruised Heel)

Doubtful: Maxwell, Zaccardo, Lugano, Diarra, Ambrosini, Souza Alex, David Villa, Forlan

Available Squad: Diego Lopez, Fernando Navarro, Bosingwa, Coloccini, Renato, Kranjcar, Danny, Trochowski, Barnetta, Love, Pato

liverpool Team News

Injured: Denilson (Damaged Knee Cartlilege), Jonas Gutierrez (Twisted Ankle)

Doubtful: None

Available Squad: Reina, Abidal, Riise, Sagnol, Cannavaro, Carragher, Behrami, Alonso, Gerrard, Fabregas, Vaart, Defour, Krasic, Young, Suarez, Lita, Berbatov, Pogrebynak, Carew, Pavlyuchenko
Guest cabbytoodles

Injury-ravaged Middlesbrough crash to Liverpool in Caleb's first game!

50_1201894192.gif

44_1201797906.gif

Young 1st, Pogrebnyak 30th, Luis Suarez 87th

Caleb's Middlesbrough, missing up to 10 players through injuries and fatigue, fielded a virtually second-string side against Liverpool which saw them crash to a 0-3 home defeat and further extended their losing streak in the league to 6 games. It was thought that the appointing of a new manager would give struggles Middlesbrough a confidence boost but if the performances of the players were anything to go by, much improvement will be needed of the players if Middlesbrough are to start winning anytime soon.

Livverpool had the slight edge in possession and shots in the match staged at the Riverside Stadium. New gaffer Caleb handed debuts to four new signings - Diego Lopez, Miguel Danny, Piotr Trochowski and Jose Bosingwa.
8044_1209755861.jpg3387_1223894402.jpg4668_1210094176.jpg3316_1223128369.jpg

Liverpool took no time to settle down, with Ashley Young showing a good blend of pace and skill to turn Bosingwa inside-out before lashing the ball home from the edge of the penalty area to send the traveling fans to their feet. Jamie Carragher was then lucky to escape an early shower after he elbowed Vagner Love in the face, leaving the latter with a bloodied nose. Not to be outdone, Miguel Danny soon found himself in the referee's book after he clattered into Alonso from behind. Footage caught the two players exchanging unsavory words in a heated exchange. Not one for the family show definitely. What followed was an end-to-end action as first Niko Kranjcar long-range lob landed on the roof or Reina's net before Cesc Fabregas tested compatriot Diego Lopez with a low shot. Swiss winger Barnetta and Brazilian midfielder Renato missed further chances for Middlesbrough before a cool finish from Pogrebynak in the 30th minute made Boro rue their missed chances.

085youngDM2004_468x431.jpg

Ashley Young puts Liverpool ahead after just 60 seconds.

5969_B_pogrebnyak001b.jpg

That was easy. Pogrebynak makes it 2-0.

Caleb's side came out firing on all cylinders in the second half but found Reina to be a dominant figure in the Liverpool goal. Middlesbrough hopes of launching a comeback was scuppered by the sending off of Danny in the 54th minute after he picked up his second booking after flashing the middle finger at the referee. Diego Lopez made a string of saves to deny Liverpool whie Barnetta seemed to have left his scoring boots at home after fluffing two easy chances. Brazilian wonderkid soon found himself booked after he let loose a string of expletives at the referee who must by now what has he done to deserve that much abuse. Liverpool substitute Luis Suarez then rounded up a bad night for Caleb when he slotted home after popping up unmarked to finish off Gerrard's delicious cross from the right byline.

LuisSuarez_792401.jpg

Supersub. Luis Suarez scores to make it all but over for Middlesbrough.

Alex's Liverpool remained in 7th spot while Caleb's Middlesbrough slipped to 13th following the defeat.

Middlesbrough
: Diego Lopez; Navarro, Coloccini, Bosingwa; Trochowski, Renato©, Danny, Barnetta, Kranjcar; Love, Pato

Liverpool
: Reina; Sagnol, Abidal, Cannavaro, Carragher©; Vaart, Gerrard, Fabregas, Young; Berbatov, Pogrebynak
Guest cabbytoodles

50_1201894192.gif

Caleb confirms squad for the remainder of the season.

Following some dipping into the transfer market upon his taking over at Middlesbrough, new manager Caleb has revealed to the media that he is now pleased with the squad at his disposal and no one should be leaving till the end of the season at the very least.

"I'm now happy with the lads I have. I've gotten in four new players and the squad seems complete now. The only issue we now face is fatigue. Once we get them back, I can't be more satisfied." He told the BBC Sport.

Current Squad

Diego Lopez 27

Maxwell 27, Fernando Navarro 26, Bosingwa 26, Zaccardo 27, Lugano 28, Coloccini 26

Diarra 27, Ambrosini 31, Renato 29, Alex 31, Kranjcar 24, Danny 25, Farfan 24, Taddei 28, Trochowski 24, Barnetta 23

Villa 27, Forlan 29, Love 24, Pato 19