Ariel Mati Fernandez

jamboman

I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on this guy. I spent the best part of 12m on him for my Hamburger SV side and was just wondering whether you guys think he can rise from an 89 rating. I know he's not exactly been a regular for Villareal this season but everytime I've seen him play I've always felt that there's something a bit special about him and it's obvious that Villareal think the same as his buyout clause is I believe somewhere in the region of 50 million euros. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Re: Ariel Mati Fernandez

I think he has the potential to be a very good player.

At the moment he is mainly used as an impact sub. Started 5 games and been a subsitute 9 times in all competitions.

Maybe next season he will get more of an opportunity to play as Pires is getting old (But still fantastic :D)

£12 million is a great buy for you :)

Yeah I've been amazed at how well Pires has played since going to Villareal. I really thought that he was done when he left Arsenal. How wrong was I.:) He was obviously just going a bit stale at Arsenal and the change of club seemed to do him the world of good. As for Fernandez though it looks like I'll have to be patient with this one. He's too good a player to sell on but his rating perhaps won't increase until he gets a few more starts, oh well. Thanks for your reply.

Hes a bit unfortunate at Villarreal. Experience is preferred over the dazzle he can provide and he is the type of player who can just light up a game. No doubting his ability, he has fantastic skill and he is definitely much better than the sub material he is proving to be at the moment but top buy IMO. Rise from 89? Not for now, but this kids got class and hes got time. Pires won't be playing forever.

He plays more often than not for Chile. If it was not for this, he would have decreased by now due to lack of match time I think. I remember it was not long ago when everyone was saying he was a future 96 rated player in the making! I admit I have lost patience on a rating increase in a few setups; can't see it happening this time round really.

I don't think Pires will have more than another season (after the current one) at this level. He is still doing the business very well indeed but he lasts the full ninety minutes less and less often these days, and is 35 after all. You would have to wonder at his ability to come back from any injury as well, should he suffer one at this stage of his career.