My English Championship 2883 Sunderland Challenge

Guest cabbytoodles

Guest cabbytoodles

Re: My English Championship 2883 Sunderland Challenge

76_1200385608.gif

Sunderlands lands midfield pair for £12.7 million!

610x.jpg

Brazilian midfielder Renato will add some flair and technical skills to the Sunderland engine room.

610x.jpg

David Jarolim is able to operate in the holding midfielder role.

Sunderland have completed two more signings in time for their season-opener against Tottenham today. Midfielders Renato and Jarolim signed from Sevilla and Hamburg SV respectively. The duo inked deals at the Stadium of Light after Sunderland had bids accepted for them.

Said Caleb to the BBC Sport on his two newest signings.

"I'm relieved they decided to sign for us. Renato is good with his feet and has great pace while Jarolim will add some steel to our midfield. Barring any hiccups, the duo should feature against Spurs today."
Guest cabbytoodles

76_1200385608.gif v 80_1217330011.jpg

League Preview: Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur

Caleb's Sunderland welcome Joe's Tottenham at the Stadium of Light today as both teams kick-off their season with new managers in the dugout. Much spotlight will be on this match following Caleb's massive transfer activity at Sunderland.

Sunderland 10 new signings are all expected to start the game today. They are: Buffon, Mathijsen, Demichelis, Grygera, Jarolim, Maniche, Xavi, Renato, Fabiano and Messi. Tottenham have brought in four new faces this season. Abidal, Julio Cesar, Forlan and Stankovic are the new additions.
Guest cabbytoodles

If i'm honest' date=' i didn't think selling all your players before buying anyone would work! But you've got a class team now mate well done. :)[/quote']

Thanks mate. But my squad is a little thin. So I've bidded for about 8 risers to form my second string when they hit 84s or so :P Wish me luck, I play Spurs today! Aye

Guest cabbytoodles

League Turn 1: Sunderland crush Tottenham Hotspur 4-2 in season opener!

76_1200385608.gif

Xavi 8th, Messi 58th 82nd, Fabiano 70th

80_1217330011.jpg

Pavlyuchenko 36th, Forlan 59th

Sunderland kicked off their season in the best possible way, defeating visitors Tottenham 4-2 in a six-goal thriller at the Stadium of Light. Joe's Tottenham had the larger number of shots but were made to pay for their inefficiency in front of goal by Caleb's Sunderland. Sunderland lined up with a 3-5-2 formation, with all of their new signings featuring in the starting lineup. Away side Tottenham fielded a 4-3-1-2, with their new recruits passed fit to start too.

Tottenham were quickest to settle in, with defender Ledley King rising high to head a glancing header goalwards which Sunderland keeper Buffon had to claw away. New signing Diego Forlan then spurned a chance to put the visitors ahead after he blasted the ball into orbit in a 1-on-1. Sunderland Spanish midfielder Xavi then justified some of his hefty price tag after he rifled a shot home from the edge of the penalty box after a poor clearance fell to him. Brazilian midfielder Renato then earned himself a early shower after aiming a kick at Tottenham defender Eric Abidal. With Sunderland down to ten men, Totteham intensified their efforts and duly equalized through Palyuchenko's goal 9 minutes before the half-time interval.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first, with both teams racing from end-to-end in flowing attacking fashion. Lionel Messi then scored a debut goal to allow Sunderland to take the lead once more. Barely one minute later, Diego Forlan stroked the ball home to level the score. With Caleb urging them on from the sidelines, Sunderland probed and searched for an opening, with the vocal home crowd support ringing in the players ears. Brazilian striker Luis Fabiano headed home a teasing cross from Maniche to hand Sunderland a 3-2 lead. There was still time for Messi to grab a brace when he dummied his marker before lobbing Julio Cesar to ensure Caleb's reign at Sunderland got off to a perfect start with a 4-2 win.

Sunderland
: Buffon©; Mathijsen, Demichelis, Grygera; Jarolim, Maniche, Xavi, Renato, L.Miller; Fabiano, Messi

Tottenham
: J.Cesar; Abidal, King, Woodgate, Corluka; Modric, Jenas, Bentley©, Stankovic; Palyuchenko, Forlan
Guest cabbytoodles

76_1200385608.gif

Caleb thanks vocal fans for fantastic atmosphere!

610x.jpg

A fan cheering on Sunderland against Tottenham yesterday.

Following his side's 4-2 win over Tottenham Hotspur at home, manager Caleb paid tribute to the vocal home support. A total of 48,280 fans turned up for the match at the 49,000 seater Stadium of Light. Said Caleb to SMTV.

"Our fans were fantastic. They were our 12th man, no doubt. I really appreciate that and hope that we will be able to have more full houses for our future home games. Its important for the players to have the backing of our home fans to do well, definitely."