Ritchie De Laet, Man Utd

exenavi

Ritchie De Laet (born 28 November 1988 in Antwerp) is a Belgian footballer. A highly rated defender, he can play anywhere along the back four.

De Laet signed for Stoke City for an initial £100,000 fee, on 17 August 2007, from Belgian club Royal Antwerp, penning a three-year deal.

In July 2008, De Laet joined Bournemouth on trial, and played his first game in a friendly against Portsmouth, a 4–1 defeat. However, he later returned to Stoke City. In October 2008, he joined Wrexham on a one-month loan deal, making his debut in a 2–0 victory over Lewes. He made a total of three appearances during his time at the club before his loan spell was terminated in order for him to undergo a hernia operation.

On 8 January 2009, De Laet was signed by Manchester United on a three-year contract. The fee to be paid by Manchester United will depend on De Laet's performances for the club.

He's on DB with 73 rating

Re: Ritchie De Laet, Man Utd New Signing

He was signed for reserves use, he wont be played in the first squad for a LONG time, he's expected to play against Stockport in the Manchester Senior Cup. It's on MUTV if anyone would like to watch it.

Now fit again, De Laet will hope to make an impression at United, initially in the reserves - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's assistant, Warren Joyce, is a former Royal Antwerp manager.

The Manchester Senior Cup tie at Stockport County on Monday 19 January could offer De Laet his first chance of match action for the Reds.

This was taken from the Manchester United Website

Re: Ritchie De Laet, Man Utd New Signing

This is taken from the redcafe.net website forum.

Being from Antwerp, I can clarify this a little.

Ritchie was held in very high regard at Royal Antwerp FC. When he came into the first team, he did a good job and his talent was obvious, but because Antwerp was failing yet another time to promote from the second division (= championship), they quickly realised they wouldn't be able to hold onto him for much longer. Also because Ritchie had a bad relationship with the general manager at Antwerp. Not that that means much, the GM isn't exactly a popular figure at the club.

Since RAFC have quite some debts, they were prepared to sell him and when Stoke offered 300,000 euros for him, it was an easy decision. It may not sound much, but you have to understand that clubs in Belgium's second division work with budgets of around 1 to 2 million euros, so roughly a fifth of your entire budget is quite a lot of money. Even though he only played about ten games for the club, the fans were sad to see him go and gave him a big applause at his send-off:

Why exactly Stoke wanted him? He was supposed to be Carl Hoefkens' (long term) replacement at right back when he went to WBA. But as some of you pointed out, Pulis seems to favour a specific type of player, and De Laet simply isn't a huge black guy.

What can I tell you about him as a player? He's originally a central defender, but can play at right back without any problems and can hold his own at left back, although he's better as a defensive midfielder than at left back.

In Belgium he's still considered a good prospect. When Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit) had to pull out of the Olympics because of injury and it looked like Hamburg wouldn't release Kompany, De Laet was a serious candidate to go to the Olympics, but since Kompany did go in the end, Ritchie didn't make the squad.

Honestly, I can't see him making the first team, but then again, when O'Shea was at Antwerp, nobody thought he would make the United first team (or even a Premier League first team) and he's made over 300 appearances so far, while Chadwick looked to be a real player at Antwerp ...

When Ritchie was still at Antwerp, he was a back-up for Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson first and when they went to Sunderland in the winter, Ryan Shawcross and David Gray replaced them. By the end of the season, he had cemented his place in the first eleven and played 5 of the 6 games in the play-offs in central defence with Shawcross, with De Laet looking the better player of the two and Gray not getting a game anymore. Why he hasn't made the step up like Ryan did is obviously in part due to injuries and the fact he has had limited opportunities. If there are other reasons, I don't know.

• 4 months later...

Re: Ritchie De Laet, Man Utd

He's a sold player and did really well! he got injured i guess not sure but hes a good player 1 too look out for in the future the way he played 2day if he carrys on i wudnt b surpised him playin more games for us nxt season! come on utd's 3rd team beat hulls best XI' date=' priceless lol :D[/quote']

Where are Man United's 2nd team then?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

"Ritchie de Laet equaliser five minutes from time handed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side a deserved share of the spoils at Carrow Road this afternoon, as a somewhat makeshift United XI bounced back from an early Norwich goal and a first-half penalty miss to outplay their League One opposition in the second forty-five minutes."

"The Reds adjusted better to the inevitable second-half changes however, and went close on a number of occasions before the unlikely figure of de Laet got in behind the City backline to slot home a late leveller."

Probably played LB as:- "3. Ritchie de Laet"

If you haven't signed him up I suggest you do cos this lad is terrific. In his favour is he can play anywhere across the back four and yesterday reminded me so much of maicon at RB. A beast and attacks very well. Would rate him on par with Rafael

Yeah, this guy is pretty good wid the ball. He's also a good dribbler, i say