Guide to the 2009 Brazilian season

Re: Guide to the 2009 Brazilian season

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but how do brazillian teams rate the importance of the league and the libertadores?

I notice quite often sides will rest practically the entire first team before a copa libertadores match, while european teams will only rest a couple of first team players at most before a champions league game.

On a related note, how does qualification for the libertadores work? I take it the big leagues (brazil, argentina) get more places than smaller nations?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Individual Player Posts: Transferred to Europe: -- - Kleber Atletico Paranaense: 77 - Manoel 81 - Wallyson Botafogo: 81 - Simoes de Oliveira Corinthians: 80 - Boquita 86 - Elias Coritiba:

Re: Guide to the 2009 Brazilian season RE: VAGNER LOVE (from a conversation that was started on the Thiago Neves thread HERE) I 100% absolutely disagree that he will drop just because he returne

Re: Guide to the 2009 Brazilian season Yesterday's matches Porto 0 x 1 Sport Recife - Campeonato Pernambucano The two leaders in the Pernambucano faced, and it was yet another victory for Sport Rec

Obviously Keirrison's form has dipped recently' date=' so is this going to affect his rating? Is he going to rise only to a 88 or does he still have a chance for 89?

Also, who is the better buy: Neymar or Ciro? (Rating-wise)[/quote']

88 or 89. Could go either way.

Neymar better buy, by far. But he'll cost you a lot more in good setups.

Just finished watching Atletico PR and Nautico. I need a breather. Match of the season so far.

Long live king ANDERSON LESSA.

Ah cheers' date=' thought i'd seen it somewhere.

Why is it this way though? Would teams rather in a sense sacrifice the league for the libertadores? Is this because of money/prestige/supporter expectation?[/quote']

Libertadores and CWC are very prestigious in Brazil. That and, really, a loss in the first few rounds of the league isn't that important.

Libertadores and CWC are very prestigious in Brazil. That and' date=' really, a loss in the first few rounds of the league isn't that important.[/quote']

More so than the champions league in europe then?

Quite interesting you should say that, because that used to be the attitude in europe to an extent, certainly in england. Teams would take it relatively easy in the first few months before really ramping it up for the run in. But of course it's nonsense - 3 points won in september (or now in brazil) count exactly the same as 3 points won in april. Which is why squad sizes have increased so much in recent years - it's vitally important that you perform at your best at all stages of the season. This is seen in the fact that it's now rare to see a smaller side at the top of the league at christmas.

Just wondering how Marcelinho is doing at Cortiba?

Scoring a lot. Had 2 in the first two games I think. SM would be very harsh to bring him down' date=' he [i']is[/i] Coritiba this year.

More so than the champions league in europe then?

Quite interesting you should say that' date=' because that used to be the attitude in europe to an extent, certainly in england. Teams would take it relatively easy in the first few months before really ramping it up for the run in. But of course it's nonsense - 3 points won in september (or now in brazil) count exactly the same as 3 points won in april. Which is why squad sizes have increased so much in recent years - it's vitally important that you perform at your best at all stages of the season. This is seen in the fact that it's now rare to see a smaller side at the top of the league at christmas.[/quote']

Well, that's kind of fair. But at the beginning of the Brasileiro, teams are feeling each other out, and getting to know themselves. That's why it's easier to field reserve teams. We saw Inter reserves beat Palmeiras and Goias, and this isn't all that rare.

In case anyone is wondering about Juan of Flamengo, he has been suspended for thirty days for threatening Maicosuel in a Carioca match. The stage is yours, Everton Silva.

Guest drseanfitz

Scoring a lot. Had 2 in the first two games I think. SM would be very harsh to bring him down' date=' he [i']is[/i] Coritiba this year.

Cheers. just bought him so glad to hear that

Matchday 3. Games in bold are the games my notes will be about.

Corinthians 2 - 1 Barueri (Souza, Jean; Daniel Marques)

Goias 0 - 1 Internacional (Taison)

Cruzeiro 2 - 0 Vitoria (Kleber, Kleber)

Palmeiras 0 - 0 Sao Paulo

Atletico PR 2 - 3 Nautico (Wallyson, Wallyson; Gladstone, Anderson Lessa, Anderson Lessa)

Grêmio 2 - 0 Botafogo (Jonas, Fabio Santos)

Fluminense 1 - 4 Santos (Mariano; Molina, Madson, Kleber Pereira, Kleber Pereira)

Santo Andre 1 - 2 Flamengo (Ricardo Conceicao; Josiel, Josiel)

Sport Recife 2 - 3 Atletico MG (Jonilson OG, Dutra; Eder Luis, Eder Luis, Marcio Araujo)

Avai 2 - 2 Coritiba (Muriqui, Ricardinho, Hugo, Marcelinho Paraiba)

Insider's Notes (AKA "Reasons I hate Fluminense")

- I finally get the chance to watch Wallyson for a whole game, and he goes and scores twice for me. Expect a thread on him tomorrow.

- Thiago Neves has been brutal for both games I got to watch. First one, he was invisible, this one was just terrible. Did Hamburg suck the will to live from him?

- Molina seems to want a spot in the Santos 11. Second goal of the season, both from free kicks, and he played quite well.

- Taison came on as a substitute to score the winner. I forget who made the run, but it was enough to draw Toloi away. The other defender (I believe Joao Paulo) was asleep on the play and should've covered. Sandro Ranieri also came on as a sub, because Inter rested most of their starting 11.

- In his first career start, Giuliano didn't look half bad. Played out of position alongside Alecsandro, he looked more active and downright better then his more experienced teammate.

- Maicon is quickly becoming a player I love to hate. Goes down as much as an elevator in a busy office building. Takes the same touch to make him go down as well. He may have started all 3 and be a decent riser (77), but I'm selling him off anyway. Props for tracking back on defense though.

- Paulo Henrique has once again shown that he has the ability to get himself in great positions. However, he has also shown the inability to a) shoot or B) pass. He's rated 71 and has started all 3, but I'm debating whether or not to do a writeup on him. Useless. I think Molina will take his spot. Sure hope so, anyway. In one that left the statisticians scratching their heads, he was taken off for, well, Paulo Henrique, as the older defender made his first appearance.

- On the other hand, Neymar shun for the 5 minutes that he had, playing a great role in setting up Madson (who set up Kleber Pereira) on one goal, and just bringing positive energy. I'm not sure why he didn't start.

- Which brings me to Madson, who is an early candidate for player of the year, according to our overexited broadcasters. Seriously though, he never stops working, had a goal and an assist, and is a 5'4 player I'd take on my team anyday.

- I'm on a roll, let's stick to Santos. Luizinho and Para are two wingback's I've been debating writing a thread about. Both look solid, but they are rather old (25/23) and highly rated (80/76). Help.

- It seems as though manager Vagner Mancini is afraid of Kleber Pereira. Everyone wanted him subbed off, as he was invisible in the first 85 minutes. Mancini instead decided to make us look like idiots and subbed out Molina instead. KP9 rewarded him with two late goals. Thanks, Vagner Mancini.

- Back to Flu. You rarely see my writing about a player not on the database, because I don't want to spoil his arrival by saying if he's good or not. That's not the case for 18 year old left back Dieguinho. He's a flopper, a bad attacker (got stopped a few times by Madson), a bad defender (got sent off) and just looks like a player I could hate (like Maicon). Eduardo Ratinho, the other wingback, also got sent off for a cruel attempt to injure Neymar. Mariano and Joao Paulo are both hurt, leaving Flu with 0 wingbacks for next week. Mariano and Joao Paulo both are on track to return though.

- Enough about that match. Back to my star defender, Rafael Toloi. He completed his third Brasileiro game, hasn't missed a minute yet, and looked just as solid as the other ones. Keep making me look good, Rafa!

- Ciro = FAIL. Not even close to the standard he set for himself in the Libertadores / Pernambucano. Only got 45 mins in his debut, and was running around a bit, but he may be taken out of my avatar if he plays like that again. I'm starting to get more exited about Lessa...

- Eder Luis scored twice in the opening 20 mins, one of them being like a poor man's Messi. Stole the ball in his own half and beat half the Recife players. Nice.

- Finally, my player of the round. Anderson Lessa, Nautico's young striker (72), came on in the 45th and turned the match around, netting the equaliser and the winner, showing flash, speed, agility and smarts. Way to go, I love being right.

Players I've posted about, in other games:

Bernardo - subbed in

Elias - start

Boquita - subbed in

Cleiton Xavier - start

Wellington Saci - start

Mauricio Ramos - start, RC

Victor Simoes - start

Everton Silva - start

Welinton - subbed in

Willians - start

Tinga also played a full 90 in Serie B for Ponte.

Good writeup. :)

Mark' date=' how are Willians Santana & Renan Oliveira doing?[/quote']

Both injured, I believe.

Nominees for Team of the Round - Matchday 3. Brazil (and me) are voting, results in on friday. There are usually a few hundred thousand votes, so it's quite unbiased.

GK

Denis - SPA

Lauro - INT

Marcos - PAL

RB

Bolivar - INT

Derley - NAU (Strange, he played CM...)

Jonathan - CRU

CB

Andre Dias - SPA

Danny Morais - INT

Juninho - BOT

Rever - GRE

Toloi - GOI

Victor Ramos - VIT

LB

Dutra - SPO

Fabio Santos - GRE

Leo - SAN

DM

Fernando - ESA

Guinazu - INT

Jucilei - COR

Leandro Donizete - CFC

Marcio Araujo - CAM

Souza - PAL

AM

Diego Souza - PAL

Ibson - FLA

Jorge Wagner - SPA

Madson - SAN

Molina - SAN

Tcheco - GRE

F

Kleber - CRU

Kleber Pereira - SAN

Eder Luis - CAM

Taison - INT

Carlinhos Bala - NAU

Josiel - FLA

Overall Best:

Eder Luis - CAM

Josiel - FLA

Molina - SAN

Question on Rogerio Ceni (92):

(1)
Do you think his rating will drop this time around ?

(1a)
If "yes", is it solely because of the injury or do you think it's because of his performance in the Paulista or like David Albelda in the Spanish ratings (93>91) was he just "due" for a drop ?

Question on Rogerio Ceni (92):
(1)
Do you think his rating will drop this time around ?

(1a)
If "yes"' date=' is it solely because of the injury or do you think it's because of his performance in the Paulista ?

[/indent']

Yes, to 91. Because of his performances as well.
Guest drseanfitz

hi

just wondering what you thought of ZE ROBERTO, TORÓ, & FIERRO of Flamengo, are they worth keeping or should I get rid?

Cheers

That's what I'm going for also ;)

I'm also going for draw/Fig' date=' HT/FT[/quote']

Good shout, good to know someone else is in on the Figu win!

Couldn't find the HT/FT on Ladbrokes, need to get a Bet 365 or Betfair account soon cause Ladbrokes are awful.:(

hi

just wondering what you thought of ZE ROBERTO' date=' TORÓ, & FIERRO of Flamengo, are they worth keeping or should I get rid?

Cheers[/quote']

I'd dump them all. Toro and Fierro are backup to Willians, Ibson and Kleberson, I don't think Fierro has played more than 3 games in all of 2009.

Guest drseanfitz

I'd dump them all. Toro and Fierro are backup to Willians' date=' Ibson and Kleberson, I don't think Fierro has played more than 3 games in all of 2009.[/quote']

Thanks again.