English Championship 2943 - Leeds United

Having seen the success others have had with Leeds, I have decided to have a go at it myself. I am not very good at this, so don't expect wonders but I will try my best. My first season will focus on revamping the side and promotion with the cup and shield ignored unless the draw favors me. Season two will feature a strong cup run while trying to remain in the top half of the table.

(If your going to read this can you let me know so I don't feel like I am writing to myself. Also if anyone has any suggestions on how I should change the format or content feel free to let me know.)

Re: English Championship 2943 - Leeds United

Leeds United Week 1 Season 1

40_1224237955.jpg

New Manager Appointed

New manager Brendan Snodgrass just arrived at Elland Road yesterday, in a move that shocked supporters Simon Grayson was replaced with the largely inexperienced American. His popularity was further decreased when he put the entire Leeds squad on the transfer market, bar young stars Aidian White, Tom Elliot, and Fabian Delph. Mr. Snodgrass is rumored to have placed bids on 59 players from around the world, this total revamping of Leeds was not taken well by die hard supporters and his tenure at Ellland Road might be short lived.

Transfer Update

Many United favorites left the club this week with Frazer Richardson being the most prominent, going to FC Thun for 3.4 million pounds.

LeedsWeek1transfersout.jpg

But news what not all bad, with an influx of cash Snodgrass was able to sign 58 of the 59 players he had set out for only missing out on David Beckham of Milan due to Wigan manager Robert Haney's 5 million pound bid. Key players and future stars were picked up including Inter Milan's Fracsesco Toldo, Free Agents Marcos Cafu and Ricardo Dodo, Paris Saint-Germaine's Claude Makelele, and American Attacking Midfielder Landon Donovan.

Week1Team.jpg

Using the great scouting reports at his disposal Brendan began to build a youth program the likes of which Leeds had never seen. Shortly after signing all youth members were loan listed, with Sergio Keko being loaned to Division 2 Preston North End and Fabian Delph going to Division 4 Luton Town.

Week1Youth.jpg

There are reports that another 32 youth might be brought in but Snodgrass declined to comment stating the competitiveness of the transfer market required him to remain silent. But with Dan Eagle's Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday this new squad will be put to it's first test.

Leeds United Week 2 Season 1

40_1224237955.jpg

Milton Keynes Dons at Home

40_1224237955.jpgVs 87_1190639165.gif

New manager Brendan Snodgrass was tested for the first time today against MK Dons. The less then impressive match was a success for Snodgrass despite Lubomir Michalik being sent off in the 75 minute for pushing the referee. Ricardo Dodo scored the only goal after a perfect cross allowed the Brazilian to head it in, winning himself player of the match.

When asked about the victory after the match Snodgrass seemed less then impressed, "Our squad is much stronger then this and although victorious today we will be unable to compete at the level we rightfully should with our current form. The massive transfers last week have destabilized the club but by the time we head to Oakwell you will see an entirely different side."

Week2MKDhome.jpg

Leeds United Week 2 Season 1

40_1224237955.jpg

Transfer Update

Manager Brendan Snodgrass was busy strengthening his defenses in the transfer market this week with center backs Marco Materazzi joining the club along with right back Max Tenetto and midfielders Marc Crosas and Niko Kovac. The funds for such signings were acquired through the sale of Ben Parker, Lubomir Michalik, Johnathan Douglas, Carl Dickinson, Neil Kilkenny, and Jonathan Howson with a total of 13.2 million pounds being brought in.

With the signatures of such class acts Leeds was sure to shake things up in sleepy division three, but all that was before Mr. Snodgrass revealed his star signing of the week. Manchester United's living legend Ryan Giggs was brought to Elland Road for £5 million, the left footed midfielder made an astounding 783 appearances for the English giants before being sold off by Manchester United's new manager Jamie Davies. Snodgrass was quoted in a press conference saying "Ryan Giggs brings the tactical awareness and the veteran understanding of the game that we have been missing. There is not a doubt in my mind that he will dynamically change the way we operate on the pitch. With these latest transfers the first string of Leeds is complete, expect dozens of young up and comers to be brought in next. The key to our success will be our youth program and by seasons end we will have every future star in Europe in our ranks. "

Week2Pickups.jpg

Ryan_Giggs_380142a.jpg

Ryan Giggs - Leeds new Captain

Well I went for a different approach to you. I thought I'd spend the big money on players who will surely rise rather than on cheap old players to get me in the prem.

- SCHAFFER, José LB 23 paid £175k - rose by 10 a few days ago to 84, now worth 3.8M :D

- LEWANDOWSKI, Robert 20 74 paid £375k. Will surely rise by 10 soon.

- ROMERO, Sergio Gk 21 85 paid £6.1M, but am hoping will rise to 88 soon.

- IBISEVIC, Vedad CF 24 85 paid £1.6M & Jermaine BECKFORD & Jonathan HOWSON. The way he's playing he should rise to atleast 88, shame about him being injured for the rest of the season though.

Aswell as Wuytens, Leo Veloso, Van Eijden, Moisander like you :D

I've spent the rest of my monies on players likely to rise by about 5 or so points so I'll have some cash for next season when I sell them. I'm trying to get Rafael from Man U as he will surely rise to around 87 when it rolls round as he has claimed his spot in Man U's first team. Other than that Lavezzi is high on my wanted list, he'll be a 93 within a year or so.

Yea I was thinking about picking up pure risers but I decided to pick up older players for my first string so I could compete and then picking up risers to flip for cash so I could get younger stars. Problem I am having now is my 600k wages, but after the rest of the Leeds original squad gets sold that should go down.

Leeds United Week 3 Season 1

40_1224237955.jpg

Barnsley Away

3_1196909593.gifVs 40_1224237955.jpg

Last week Snodgrass promised Leeds would be an entirely different side by the time this match rolled around and he was correct, just not in the way everyone thought. The disgraceful performance United put in led to the game ending 4-2 in Barnsley's favor. Goals by Jan Koller, Aleksey Ionov, and a brace by Jamal Campbell allow Barnsley to walk away with three points. Claude Makelele and Julio Cruz put Leeds on the board but there effort was not enough.

Brendan Snodgrass shouldered the blame for the loss. "The team played strong and I liked what I saw on the pitch, it was my tactical miscalculation that led to such a defeat and it will not happen again. I tried to force us to play a more beautiful game but I see now that beauty must take a back seat to success for the time being. I would like to apologize to all our supporters and the players themselves, I will not make this mistake twice." Snodgrass's troubles were compounded by the fact that Barnsley's manager had walked off the team days before the match.

Week2BarnsleyAway.jpg

Leeds United Week 4 Season 1

40_1224237955.jpg

Southampton Away

72_1204087089.gifVs 40_1224237955.jpg

Coming off of a humbling defeat to unmanaged Barnsley last week Leeds looked to redeem themselves against a Southampton side that had not won all season. Snodgrass had promised that the tactical mistakes of last week would not be repeated and he followed through on his word. The division 3 match ended 1-0 with Leeds new signing and starting front man Julio Cruz finding the back of the net two minutes after kick off. Leeds played 37 minutes short handed after starting right back Macus Cafu was sent off for a strong challenge.

The win against Southampton puts Snodgrass's men one point from the top and out of the negative goal differential they obtained last match. Snodgrass had this to say, "Although we played well today and walked away with all three points we were lucky. Southampton was without starting center back Wayne Thomas and Jan-Paul Saeijs played most of the match injured, there was no need for Cafu to be so aggressive and his mistake will cost us in the coming weeks but that is a problem for the future. The important thing is that we take the momentum gained in today's match and translate it into another victory when first place Tranmere Rovers come to Elland Road."

Week3SouthamptonAway.jpg

Nice side, you will be seeing a few of those players on my Leeds team once I raise funds and pick up the players I already have short listed. Post your progress now and then, I want to see how I stack up against you and De Caelo come end of the season. Love the signature by the way, class.

There are only one or two unmanaged sides in my division. I have been using a 4-5-1 at away games (Using an attacking midfielder if my squad is stronger or if they play a weak defensive formation, or Claude Makelele in defensive midfield if I think they are going to try and attack or if they overpower me in midfield) and a 3-5-2 at home. My loss was because I clicked tight marking on accident.

Normally I research the team I am going to play for 4 games prior to our match to get a gauge on there tactics and try to get a feel for what is working against them, were they are weak, and how there players have been preforming. But when that doesn't work I use 4-5-1 and 3-5-2 as a fallback.

Leeds United Week 5 Season 1

40_1224237955.jpg

Tranmere Rovers at Home

40_1224237955.jpg Vs 81_1199616655.gif

This week first place Tranmere Rovers set out for Elland Road to try and maintain there season long unbeaten streak. The first half of the competition was evenly matched with each side finding the back of the net once, but come second half it was a different match altogether. Within two minutes Landon Donovan blistered a stunning strike into the top corner, his second of the night and the goals started pouring in from there. Nicolas Rodriguez, Ryan Giggs, Marco Materazzi, and Ricardo Dodo all followed Donovan's example. When the final whistle blew the score was a whopping 6 - 1 with Ricardo Dodo racking up his second Man of The Match award in two appearances. The woes of Prenton Park were compounded by the fact that shortly after the match Rovers manager Phil Hagerty resigned.

The stunning victory put Leeds at the top of Division Three. Excerpts from Snodgrass's post match interview illustrate the confidence he has in his men. "The team trained very hard for this match and a decisive victory was expected. During the first half I noticed that Hagerty had neglected his flanks both in the back and in the midfield. Both positions were filled with players who were naturally center backs and midfielders, after adjusting our tactics during half time the great talent we have on the outside began to shine and well... I think the results speak for themselves. This is just the beginning, as we begin to gel matchs like this will occur more and more. But for now the only thing on my mind is next weeks fixture against Swindon Town"

Week5Rovers.jpg

Transfer Update

Since Brendan Snodgrass has taken over as manager of Leeds he has pursued a policy of selling off all the original players except the youngsters. He followed through with that selling the last remaining player this week. His exploits in the transfer market have brought £34 million to the club, not including the part exchange deals that saw Luciano Becchio and Enoch Showunmi going the other way.

Week5Transfersout.jpg

Always on the look out for young, cheap talent Snodgrass has signed Manchester United up and comer Fabio Da Silva for £450,000. The eighteen year old Brazilian left back was recently signed to Manchester United along with his brother who was also sold this week to Wigan. The acquisition of young players has been very successful thus far with eight signings dramatically increasing there skill and doubling there value in the transfer market. Under Snodgrass's watchful eye Fabio is sure to blossom into a quality defender in the near future.

04EECE22-F135-9A79-BA83780F08BBC9D4.jpg

Leeds latest signing, Fabio Da Silva