F.C.Porto Youth Setup-Rivalizing with Sporting? Porto´s youth system extensive thread

Instead of the usual one-by-one player scouting, I decided to make a thread with all the hot prospects from Porto´s youth setup. I think none of the players in this thread were ever mentioned in the forum. And please note that Diogo Viana and Jakubov are not in this thread - I´ve made an exclusive one on them here: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=35143 Off we go:

1593942.jpg

As everybody knows, Sporting has by far the best youth academy in Portugal (not for much longer I foresee), and possibly one of the best in Europe along with that of Ajax and Arsenal. Talented players like Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani, Moutinho, just to mention a few, don´t come up everyday in a youth system. Sporting´s supremacy in terms of facilities, staff etc. made every Portuguese kid to dream playing in Sporting and one day become the next "Ronaldo". With the world´s financial crisis, only bearable for rich clubs with rich owners, Portugal has no other choice than to invest in their youth setups instead of spending millions in utopic transfers. This is what Porto has done in the past few years, and now we have a youth setup with a brilliant future. This thread intends to target Porto´s youth players and analyse them.

First I´ll start with Porto´s youth goalkeeper and then proceed with the rest of the starting XI:

Name: Rui Pedro Correia Nunes

Nationality: Portuguese

Date of Birth: 1990-01-07 (19 years)

Position: Goalkeeper

Database status: Not on DB

ruca-futebol-clube-do-porto.jpg

Rui Pedro Correia Nunes ,commonly known as Ruca, is Porto´s number 1 goalkeeper in the youth setup. He is 19 years old and began is career at the local club Tourizense. In the beginning he played as a midfielder, which improved his technical skills, making them higher than usual for a goalie. After his positional change, he became an undisputed starter in Tourizense, attracting the attention of the Portuguese high-flyer clubs, F.C. Porto, Sporting and the champion (at that time) Boavista. Due to his affinity with Porto during his childhood, he signed for them, beginning his (still) short career in the Portuguese giants. He sky-rocketed throughout the ranks and eventually made it to the senior team, where he is yet to make his first game with Porto´s shirt. His performances for Porto were so good that several clubs attempted to "steal" Ruca from Porto, including Benfica, possibly as a revenge for Christian Rodriguez. Ruca, however, rejected all the offers, claiming he wanted to stay at Porto.

He has played several times for the under-16, 17, 18 and 19 national team, but he has always been in the shadows of Rui Patricio and Porto´s other goalkeeper Ventura, both throwing him out of the starting XI.

Regarding his goalkeeper skills, aside from his good technique, he his also very good between the sticks, with agile reflexes, has a great communication in the area and apparently he is a penalty expert too, as when he was a kid and played for Porto´s lower youth setup, he managed to save 3 (!) penalty-kicks against Sporting, a record yet to be beaten.

When he will play his first competitive match, is difficult to say, but with Nuno retiring at the end of this or the next season and with Ventura´s ascension to second choice in the main team, he will now play more games for the youth setup and may well be elected as the third choice next season. He has also trained several times with Porto´s senior team.

Name: Ivo Daniel Ferreira Mendonça Pinto

Date of Birth: 1990-01-07 (19 years)

Position: Right-back

Database status: Not on DB, but might be added soon

ivo-pinto-futebol-clube-do-porto.jpg

Ivo Pinto is an 18 years old right back, a very important position in Portugal as the Portuguese teams tend to play with wingers and the wing-back area must provide enough attack and defence support, otherwise the tactic starts to crumble right there. So, as you can imagine, Ivo Pinto carries high hopes with him. He is basically regarded as the next Bosingwa.

Ivo started his career with 9 years of age by joining his brother´s local club Lourosa. He displayed some amazing abilities for a 9 years old boy, and as such he began playing with older kids, increasing his development with it. Soon he began being watched by one of Boavista´s scouts who snatched him for the youth setup. He played at all sub-levels of the NT (under 16,17,18 and 19, just the 21 and the main NT are missing) just like Ruca. After Boavista´s relegation last year, Porto took over the opportunity and bought Ivo Pinto in an undisclosed fee. His favourites players are Bosingwa and Dani Alves (no surprise).

Regarding his skills, he has a pretty decent technique and is very safe in defence. He is also fast and has a very high work rate according to Portugal´s under-19 coach. After he improves his attacking skills, he may be well watching the next Portuguese top right-back.

He is not on the database, but may be added soon (Cup game).

Name: Ramon Arcas Cardenas

Nationality: Venezuelan/Spanish

Date of Birth: 1991-01-25 (17 years)

Position: Centre-back, defensive midfielder, centre midfielder or advanced midfielder

[Couldn´t find any decent image. He is the blond kid in the lower row of the first picture]

Ramon Cardenas caused a big impact when he first came to Porto 3 years ago, with just 14 years of age. Coming from ACR Águilas de Múrcia, a Spanish club, he signed a 3 year deal, the maximum allowed by FIFA for under-18 players. Ramon was intensely disputed, as Porto wasn´t the only club interested. Valencia attempted to bring this kid to Mestalla, but their attempt failed as Porto made everything possible to get hold of him. And surely be crowned European champion (3-0 against Monaco, what a game) just a few months ago helped Ramon to decide.

Synthesizing a lot of compliments, this kid is huge. First of all, it is important to notice his versatility. His excellent air play makes him suitable for a centre-back, his incredible positioning sense and tackling ability makes him a good defensive midfielder, while his teamwork and extremely intelligent play allows him to play as a centre or advanced midfielder. Personally I prefer him to play as a centre midfielder along with Josué and Sérgio Oliveira (read further for more information). He knows exactly when to decelerate and accelerate the game, fully controlling the tempo, his transition plays from defence to attack are amazing, and on top of this, he has a good goalscoring rate. Plus, he plays with both feet, a very appreciated feature in football. Rings a bell? Yes, he is very (to say the least) similar to Lucho, aside from the aerial ability.

I hate Porto´s manager Jesualdo for the fact that he rarely plays with youngsters. Instead, we go and buy useless South-American players (Mariano, Bollati, Benitez, whatever) when we have such quality prospects in the youth system. I do hope that Ramon plays a competitive match soon.

Name: Rafhael Oliveira de Jesus

Nationality: Brazilian

Date of Birth: 1990-03-22 (18 years)

Position: Centre-back

[Couldn´t find any decent image. He is somewhere in the first picture]

Rafhael is actually on loan from the Brazilian club Figueirense, but Porto has a buy clause on his contract, and with him performing so well, has been inclusively called up to an official Cup match, I strongly believe he will sign for Porto at the end of the season, so I figured I could include him on this thread.

I couldn´t find out much about this player´s past, so I´ll head straight for his skills: He is very solid playing as a Centre-Back, has the typical Brazilian technique (in case you are wondering, yes, (almost) all of Porto´s youth players are very developed technically) and is always concentrated on the game, rarely committing a mistake. His aerial ability is only second to that of Jakubov (see this thread for more information on Jakubov:http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=35143) He is the voice of command out in the pitch. Like I said early, his impressive displays earned him a call up to the senior team, but he didn´t make his debut unfortunately. Another thing to note is his similarities with Pepe: similar stature, solid defending skills, could play for the Portuguese NT in the next few years despite his Brazilian nationality (assuming he stays in Porto). Are we looking to the next Pepe? Who knows.

Name: William Dias Massari

Nationality: Brazilian

Nationality: 1990-07-23 (18 years)

Position: Left-back

william-massari-futebol-clube-do-porto.jpg

Porto´s main Left-back, he came in the same package as Rafhael: on loan from Figueirense. And he is also playing well, so he has a high possibility of ending up in Porto.

Like a lot of Brazilians, he started playing in the streets and was soon integrated in the local club Sport Clube Próspera. His good exhibitions led Figueirense to sign him, and eventually he played in a Cup named Taça São Paulo de Futebol Júnior, which is the most important competition for youth players in Brazil, or so I´ve heard. His displays impressed Porto, and after he completed 18 years of age (to avoid paperwork) he was shipped on a one year loan deal, with the possibility to stay here definitely.

He plays well with both feet, but his strongest is the left one, which is very skilled, mainly because he played as a winger before adapting to a left midfielder and later to a left-back. As such his main strength is his attacking skill, although he has improved his defending abilities as well as the rigorous positioning sense, so important for a Wing-back, since he came to Portugal.

A lot of fans consider him one of the best players in the youth squad, and that he should play more considering Porto´s senior team left side problems, but frankly speaking (writing), he doesn´t impress me as much as Ivo Pinto does, but the quality is all there, and with time he can be a lot more than just "another left-back".

Name: Ricardo Jorge dos Santos Dias

Date of Birth: 1991-02-25 (17 years)

Position: Defensive midfielder/Centre midfielder

[Couldn´t find any decent image. Again, he is somewhere in the first picture]

Porto´s tactic lies within a 4-3-3, and as such, the defensive midfielder position plays a primordial role in the game. Dias is one of the youth squad´s defensive midfielder, since Ramon and Sérgio Oliveira can play there as well.

Dias draws some comparisons with Porto´s ex-defensive midfielder Paulo Assunção. If we don´t watch him, he goes just unnoticeable throughout the game, however he provides the team an enormous defensive stability. And he is aggressively better than Assunçao. And personally, I think he is 10 times better than Bollati.

Dias is still young, so I couldn´t find much personal info.

With Fernando and Pele playing in his position, I doubt he can play his first competitive match soon. Maybe he´ll be loaned out, and added to the DB then.

Name: Josué Filipe Soares Pesqueira

Date of Birth: 1990-09-17 (18 years)

Position: Centre or advanced midfielder

Database status: Currently on DB (72) rated

olhar+para+o+futuro.jpg

Ah, like the French say: Créme de la créme. Josué is THE Porto´s hot prospect (obviously I´m not counting with Jakubov and Diogo Viana - again, view this thread for more info: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=35143). Regular starter for the under-19 NT, Josué controls the time and space of the game, much like Ramon does. With them both plus Sérgio Oliveira (read further for more info on Oliveira and note that they don´t play together all the time as Dias is also there for the DM position) Porto´s midfield becomes dynamic and unpredictable. Josué is the best passer of the youth team and is the attack´s main "feeder", counting a high number of assists. The through balls that come out of his feet are simply magnificent. His incredibly developed technique, allied with an excellent vision and a powerful long shot ability, makes him a threat to any opposition. His class on the pitch would shame a lot of senior players. All in all, he is one of the reasons why someone would pay to see a youth match.

Josué has already played his first match for Porto (just a couple of minutes though, he didn´t even touch the ball), but I was waiting until I published this thread to send a support ticket. He should be added in a couple of days. I´ll keep this updated.

Name: Sérgio Miguel Relvas de Oliveira

Date of Birth: 1992-06-02 (16 years)

Position: Defensive midfielder

sergio-oliveira-fc-porto.jpg

Like I referred earlier, Sérgio Oliveira is one of Porto´s youth team midfield element, the defensive midfielder one. He is very young, but managed to cement his place in Porto´s under-19 squad, despite being only 16. This is also the main reason why he isn´t always a starter. He has a typical footballer history, started in a local club, rose through the ranks, Porto watched his development and eventually signed him (Sporting was interested too) for a thousand Euros. A complete bargain for the player he is today. Oliveira is also an assiduous presence in the youth teams of the NT and was even elected the Player of the Tournament in the VI Torneio de Futebol da Comunidade de Língua Portuguesa, which includes all official Portuguese speaking countries (yes, Brazil also took part). Another extraordinary detail is that unlike 95% of the Portuguese population, he doesn´t like Cristiano Ronaldo (!).

Concerning his skills, Sérgio Oliveira is a rather different type of a defensive midfielder model. He has good defence and tackling skills (obviously, otherwise he wouldn´t be a DM) but unlike other common DM, he is a very attacking one, constantly going up in the pitch, but never getting careless with the defence. His unusual vision (for a DM) allows him to be considered one of the best passers of the team (still behind Josué though). He is definitely one for the future. And 20 times better than Bollati.

Considering he is only 16, his first game for Porto might still be far from happening. Still, if he maintains his development curve, he might get it when he reaches an higher level of maturity. Note however that he has been called for ALL League Cups games Porto has done so far, but he never came out of the bench.

Name: Jorge Miguel Feijoca Chula

Date of Birth: 1990-02-13 (18 years)

Position: Winger/Forward

[i found one image, but it was to big to put here:

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/40113/2005726588540110118_rs.jpg]

Chula completes Porto´s tactic, occupying the left wing side. Similar to Diogo Viana, Chula is very strong in the one-on-one challenges and he unbalances the matches with his high speed and great technique. His crossing ability is also very good and have led to a lot of goals (mainly from Jakubov´s head).

There is not much else to say about him, he is indeed very similar to Diogo Viana.

He has also played for the under-19 NT.

I doubt he will play for Porto any time soon, but not long ago the Portuguese 2nd division side contenders Olhanense tried to secure a long term deal, but it was only speculation apparently.

With all these players, Porto´s tactic would be something like this:

-------------------------Ruca------------------------

Massari--------Raphael----------Ramon--------I.Pinto

-----------------------S.Oliveira----------------------

-----------------Josue----------Dias------------------

Diogo Viana-----------------------------------J.Chula

------------------------Jakubov-----------------------

This is just one of them, there are a lot of variations such as Ramon playing as a DM or CM or Josue as an AM. And not all players of the youth setup are in this thread, and some of them play regularly like the forward Alex, the centre midfielder Lucas Taglialatela or the right/left back Bosingwa. I decided not to include them just because they play less minutes than the ones I refer. Maybe in of these days I´ll compile a report about them all.

Other hot prospects in Porto that are not in this thread:

Diogo Viana (http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=35143)

Alexander Jakubov (http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=35143)

Ricardo Grey (http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=40900)

Abdoulaye Ba

Jaroslav

Miguel Galeão

Caetano

Ukra is also mentioned in this thread (he is currently on loan), check a few posts below.

Cheers and enjoy, comments would be appreciated as this took me some time to do :)

Re: F.C.Porto Youth Setup-Rivalizing with Sporting? Porto´s youth system extensive thread

Nice' date=' nice work my friend. Just as you've shown there is emerging playing talent, there seems to be emerging talent in scouting ;)[/quote']

Thanks, really appreciated the compliment :)

Yep great work. I've seen Massari play and he looks like a great LB. What about the 16 year old Felipe Barros...Portuguese youth International.....Plays for Porto.

Thanks. I didn´t include Felipe Barros due to his age, he is still young and as such he doesn´t play very often for Porto´s under-19 team. But like I said, I might (will) add more youngters as soon as they play more games for Porto, specially now that the Portuguese reserve´s championship (Liga Intercalar) has restarted.

Great thread!

Will be great to keep us updated with their progression through the ranks!

Thank you, and surely I keep this updated. And don´t forget about Josué, he should be added by Monday

Re: F.C.Porto Youth Setup-Rivalizing with Sporting? Porto´s youth system extensive thread

great work top thread rep for you:D

Thank you very much. Glad to see people appreciate the effort I´ve put on this thread.

great work.

nice to see so many talents from porto.

cheers

Thanks. I believe some of them won´t be able to reach the high level for one reason or another, but there are some who are predestined to success, like Josué for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Dias, Ivo Pinto, Josué e Sérgio Oliveira were all called by Jesualdo Ferreira for the tomorrow´s Cup match against Sporting. They might make their debut, so I´ll keep this updated. Diogo Viana has also been called, check this thread for more info: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=35143

The match against Sporting just finished - Josue and Ivo Pinto have played a part in the game.

Well, first of all, Porto lost 4-1, but let me explain why. Porto played with the reserve team (Nuno, Sapunaru, Benitez, Stepanov, P.Emanuel, the new signing Andrés Madrid, Guarin, T.Costa, Mariano, Tarik, Farias and eventually Josue, Ivo Pinto and Diogo Viana) while Sporting played with the entire starter team aside from Liedson (injured) and Grimi. Two goals from Sporting were from the penalty spot, and were two dives (non-biased commentary). The other two goals were scored in the last 20 minutes, where Porto was already psychologically broken.

Now that everything is set and explained (I don´t like people to think that Porto took a hell of a beaten :rolleyes: ) let me write about the youth players (Ivo Pinto and Josue)

Josue played the last 15 minutes (Porto was already losing 3-1) and made a positive game, considering he was playing his first real game for Porto (he only played 4 minutes in the last one, I think he only touched the ball once) and against a team of much higher calibre (since Porto was playing with the reserves). He made one absolutely delicious semi-trivela through ball, but Mariano failed to beat the keeper :o . Aside from that, a few passes and 1-2 plays here and there, a direct free-kick proceed by a nice defence from the goalkeeper and nothing else, as he had to play in defence for most of the time.

As for Ivo Pinto, he played the last 5 minutes and the only thing he managed to do was a quick run through one of his opposition mates and then a pass to Diogo Viana that led to a corner. I would have liked to see him play for another 10 minutes to take more conclusions, 5 minutes weren´t really enough.

Josue will definitely be added to the database with this game (my previous ticket was rejected due to lack of playing time) and I shall keep this updated. I doubt Ivo Pinto will be added, but I will try nonetheless :)

Pesqueira JOSUE has been added with a rating of 72 :)

I was about to post the info :)

He has indeed been added, 72 rated, costs just 50k, like Diogo Viana. Snatch him, he is a top prospect and should be a free agent in most of the setups. B)

• 1 month later...

Small update: Ivo Pinto has been called for tonight´s fixture against Leixões due to the injuries of Sapunaru and Fucile. You might recall he has played his first minutes for Porto already, but those weren´t enough to get my ticket approved. If brought on tonight, he will be added to the database.

EDIT: Nevermind he wasn´t brought on. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Re: F.C.Porto Youth Setup-Rivalizing with Sporting? Porto´s youth system extensive th

I will add another Porto youth player (well, ex-youth actually, but he is still very young. I also made a thread on him here along with several other loanees), one that is doing an amazing season in his loanee club Olhanense. I´m talking about Ukra:

pic_ukra_sco.jpg

Name: André Filipe Alves Monteiro "Ukra"

Date of Birth: 1988-03-16 (21 years)

Databse status: On the DB (78 rated)

Ukra began his professional career last year, with a loan to the second division side Varzim. He played a total of 730 minutes, and scored two goals, impressing a lot for a 19 years old kid. This season he was loaned to the second division side Olhanense, and this is the year of his "explosion": 2000 minutes played, 4 goals scored, 3 assistances made, and overall excellent exhibitions. He is one of the main responsibles for Olhanense´s current 1st place in the 2nd division, and a consequent promotion to the 1st divison. Everyone points him out for a loan at a Portuguese 1st division side (probably with Olhanense, considering they get the promotion) next year, where he will have a chance to impress in a higher level. Should he achieve this, then he may get a shot at Porto.

He is in the database, just search for "Ukra". I don´t know how SM regards the Portuguese 2nd division, but he surely deserves a rise to 80. Let´s see what SM does. Buy him if you´re up to it :)

Re: F.C.Porto Youth Setup-Rivalizing with Sporting? Porto´s youth system extensive th

Nice thread with some decent looking players coming through the ranks.

Got a long way to go to catch up with Sporting though. They've got Adrien Silva, Daniel Carrico and Rabiu Ibrahim for future and Moutinho, Veloso and Patricio for the present. Not to mention Figo, Ronaldo, Quaresma, Simao, Nani, Boa Morte and probably some more in the past.

Not trying to be a buzzkill because Porto have got some good youngsters too, but some of Sporting's prodigies have turned out world class. Good, detailed thread.

EDIT: Forgot Futre :eek:

Nice thread with some decent looking players coming through the ranks.

Got a long way to go to catch up with Sporting though. They've got Adrien Silva' date=' Daniel Carrico and Rabiu Ibrahim for future and Moutinho, Veloso and Patricio for the present. Not to mention Figo, Ronaldo, Quaresma, Simao, Nani, Boa Morte and probably some more in the past.

Not trying to be a buzzkill because Porto have got some good youngsters too, but some of Sporting's prodigies have turned out world class. Good, detailed thread.

EDIT: Forgot Futre :eek:[/quote']

Well, yes, I have to agree with you, IMO Sporting has definitely the best youth setup, just like I said in the very beginning of my first post. However, that is changing and in the next 5-10 years (the youth investments were made on a long term basis obviously) I believe Porto will be up there with Sporting, if not better. We may not have "home-made" players for the present, but we surely have "home-made" players for the future like Helder Barbosa, Bruno Gama, Ukra like I mention above, Castro, Rui Pedro, and basically all players in this thread. And we´ve got a lot of them in the past too, Jorge Costa, Fernando Gomes, João Pinto, just to mention a few. So when some of our prodigies turn into world-class players eventually, you´ll see. It will be one after another. B)

P.S - Don´t mention Miguel Veloso. He is a fluke. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Ukra began his professional career last year, with a loan to the second division side Varzim. He played a total of 730 minutes, and scored two goals, impressing a lot for a 19 years old kid. This season he was loaned to the second division side Olhanense, and this is the year of his "explosion": 2000 minutes played, 4 goals scored, 3 assistances made, and overall excellent exhibitions. He is one of the main responsibles for Olhanense´s current 1st place in the 2nd division, and a consequent promotion to the 1st divison. Everyone points him out for a loan at a Portuguese 1st division side (probably with Olhanense, considering they get the promotion) next year, where he will have a chance to impress in a higher level. Should he achieve this, then he may get a shot at Porto.

He is in the database, just search for "Ukra". I don´t know how SM regards the Portuguese 2nd division, but he surely deserves a rise to 80. Let´s see what SM does. Buy him if you´re up to it :)

Ukra got his rating change today and raised to 78. It really is an unfair rating, not only for the stats but also for the quality he has put in all exhibitions. Oh well :rolleyes:

I remember when i was in Portugal couple months back and i went from up north to down south to Algarve and i happened to watch an Olhanense game. I managed to see Ukra play and he was brilliant so brilliant that as soon as i got to a friends house i got him added on The SM db :D. Haven't followed him much and a shame he only rose to 78 IMO. As Porto are looking to revitalise there team with home grown players hopefully Ukra can be one of them. Also would like to point out that official Portuguese liga website states that Ukra has been the 3rd best player in the whole of the 2nd divison. Also been voted a lot of times on the official website in the team of the week.

On another note what do you think about Stephane the Burkino Faso youngster?

Been a regular for Olhanense, does he have a future at Porto?

I remember when i was in Portugal couple months back and i went from up north to down south to Algarve and i happened to watch an Olhanense game. I managed to see Ukra play and he was brilliant so brilliant that as soon as i got to a friends house i got him added on The SM db :D. Haven't followed him much and a shame he only rose to 78 IMO. As Porto are looking to revitalise there team with home grown players hopefully Ukra can be one of them. Also would like to point out that official Portuguese liga website states that Ukra has been the 3rd best player in the whole of the 2nd divison. Also been voted a lot of times on the official website in the team of the week.

On another note what do you think about Stephane the Burkino Faso youngster?

Been a regular for Olhanense' date=' does he have a future at Porto?[/quote']

Indeed, Ukra should have got a higher rise. But there is no problem, he will play in the 1st division in the next year and he wil be accordingly rated then.

I know Djalmir is in front of him in the overall best player award, but I don´t know the other one. Someone from Santa Clara perhaps (the current 2nd position owner).

Stephane is from Ivorian Coast ;) For me he is one for the future. Impressing physic, can play either as a LB or CB, imperial in the air... A typical Porto home-made defender. Keep an eye on Tengarrinha (added today, Estrela da Amadora), Andre Andre (son of the Porto former star Andre, Varzim, added yesterday) and Fredy (Belenenses, the new Nani, I made a thread on him) also. These are the most promising players that were added.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Sergio Oliveira was added at 75.

Derby Power - would you recommend buying him?

I didn't notice it, thanks for bringing it to my attention. To put it simple: YES. Despite being only 17 years of age, Sergio Oliveira has a minimum fee release clause of 30M euros. This shows you how much hope we have on the boy.

• 1 month later...

I was about to post the info :)

He has indeed been added' date=' 72 rated, costs just 50k, like Diogo Viana. Snatch him, he is a top prospect and should be a free agent in most of the setups. B)[/quote']

DP - Josue just got a small rise to 74, but is he worth hanging onto?

I've got a whole bunch of AM's and Josue has expressed a concern about lack of opportunity, so i need to know if he's worth keeping?

DP - Josue just got a small rise to 74' date=' but is he worth hanging onto?

I've got a whole bunch of AM's and Josue has expressed a concern about lack of opportunity, so i need to know if he's worth keeping?[/quote']

He is worth keeping, but you can sell him without worrying to much, you can get him back for a small fee when he leaves for an external club.