Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• 1 month later...

Re: FIFA World 2010 Discussions Thread

I think Spain will win the World Cup. Italy and France are the only threats. England used to have a good chance but they haven't shown anything in the past few months. Capello will lead them to a lot but no-one can predict anything about the final. Spain are the favourites to win it. They are Euro 08 champions and will hold on to that title as well as the World Cup. Germany have a strong squad. Spain will have troubles but I doubt they will get anywhere. Spain are the leading Euro side and that can be proven with the way they played over their past few matches. Torres, Ramos, Callias and them. Unbeatable.

No mention of Brazil or Argentina? At least one of those two is always there or thereabouts come the final stages (I still believe Argentina would have won in 2006 had they won that shootout against Germany). You also can't ignore the fact that Brazil are still the only nation to ever win a World Cup outside their own continent.

Spain are also a bit weak defensively except for Raul Albiol. Puyol is occasionally brilliant, but is just living on his mostly undeserved reputation these days. Capdevila is great, but better at going forward than defending. Ramos is the same, and also seems a bit lazy now to me. He's a lot less committed when he goes in for the tackle than he used to be, and a bit slower at getting back into position after attacking.

They also may lack a quality holding player. Senna and Albelda aren't getting any younger, Alonso is hardly a ball-winning type player, Marchena is far better at CB and Zapater lacks the experience at that level to play that kind of role effectively.

A world class goalkeeper won't get you out of trouble every single time. One day, Spain will get punished for their defensive frailties.

One last problem (and I may take some criticism for this later) - Fernando Torres. He's ridiculously inconsistent in a Spain shirt, and has always been overshadowed by other strikers (Raul and to some extent Morientes in the past, Villa now). 4 goals in almost 4 years is hardly an achievement, especially for one of the world's best strikers. It's hardly a massive problem that Torres doesn't perform for the NT, because David Villa is an absolute machine, and Llorente looks like he'll provide good backup. If Villa gets injured though, Spain are left with an underperforming Torres and an inexperienced (and therefore, unpredictable, and possibly unreliable) Llorente and Negredo, and may have to rely on goals from midfield.

Spain will be the favourites in South Africa, but anyone thinking they're invincible or don't have weaknesses are being a bit naive.

Don't want to sound cliche', but I really think Ivory Coast will get far in SA. The hosts are probably to weak to do anything but scrape past to the group stage (and get drawn against Argentina:D), Egypt, Ghana, and Cameroon have quality sides but IMO its the Ivory Coast that has what it takes to get in the semi-finals. they have good defenders in Toure, Demel, and Boka, have decent midfielders in Romaric and Yaya Toure, a solid winger in Keita, a promising winger in Gervinho, Captain Drogba, and Kalou. (Kalou is not very good in Chelsea but he's great for his NT) Besides these guys, they have not-so-known quality backups

They were unlucky in WC 2006 and had they been put in the group Angola was they would have progressed. They lost to Argentina and Holland but with their heads held high and have improved ever since. Nigeria and Cameroon aren't what they used to be anymore (save for Eto'o B))

anyways, just my two cents.

I reckon Australia should go well in this cup. We have pretty much qualified, (we sit top of our group with 10 points) and need only one more win to qualify - I think...:)

We are probably Asia's strongest team (if we play all of our stars:D) and we have been excellent under Verbeek. I reckon we could make it to the round of 8, but i suppose it depends on the draw. We would have made the round of 8 last cup except for a dubious penalty - http://www.tv.com/fifa-world-cup-germany-2006/round-of-16-italy-vs.-australia/episode/801916/recap.html?tag=overview;recap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Medina_Cantalejo

(the ref seemed to really hate Australia...)

I'd love to see an African nation win this. I think if it is going to happen, this will be the time. A lot of teams (England are one) tend to struggle in this kind of heat and humidity whereas the Africans will be acclimatised. How are Ghana doing in terms of qualification? They really impressed me in the last World Cup (they were just heroic in the WC, especially against Brazil) and played with a freedom that was at odds with the style of the last WC (no magic, MUST...WIN...GAME mentality).

I think it's still too early to talk about this :rolleyes:

Spain, along with Brazil and Argentina will have the strongest squads, followed by the other euoropean countries.

My only hope is that Asian countries will perform better this time round. I still remember the 8-1 trashing of Saudi Arabia by Germany - that was embarrasing :rolleyes:

and like bobloblaw said, this is perhaps the best chance for an african country to win - perhaps cameroon would stand a chance.

A lot of teams (England are one) tend to struggle in this kind of heat and humidity whereas the Africans will be acclimatised. How are Ghana doing in terms of qualification? They really impressed me in the last World Cup (they were just heroic in the WC' date=' especially against Brazil) and played with a freedom that was at odds with the style of the last WC (no magic, MUST...WIN...GAME mentality).[/quote']

The World Cup actually falls in the middle of the South African winter, though (winter in South Africa is from May to July), with temperatures typically being similar to English springtime. European teams shouldn't have any problems in that climate.

South Africa Travel Advice - Climate

Ghana won their round 2 qualifying group on goal difference (Ghana, Gabon and Libya all finished on 12 points). They've been drawn in a group with Benin, Sudan and Mali in round 3... they need to win that group to go to South Africa.

Nigeria looked by far the best team in round 2 of the African qualifiers, winning all 6 of their games and only conceding once, in a group which also contained South Africa (even though they qualify automatically, they still have to play in the qualifiers as round 1 and 2 of the WC qualifiers are also the qualifiers for the ACoN, and round 3 of the WC qualifiers is also the group stage of the ACoN).

The 5 groups for the final round of African qualifiers are (only group winners qualify):

Group A

Togo

Cameroon

Morocco

Gabon

Group B

Mozambique

Nigeria

Kenya

Tunisia

Group C

Rwanda

Algeria

Egypt

Zambia

Group D

Ghana

Benin

Sudan

Mali

Group E

Ivory Coast

Malawi

Burkina Faso

Guinea

The World Cup actually falls towards the end of the South African winter though (winter in South Africa is from May to July)' date=' with temperatures typically being similar to English springtime. European teams shouldn't have any problems in that climate.

South Africa Travel Advice - Climate

Ghana won their round 2 qualifying group on goal difference (Ghana, Gabon and Libya all finished on 12 points). They've been drawn in a group with Benin, Sudan and Mali in round 3... they need to win that group to go to South Africa.

Nigeria looked by far the best team in round 2 of the African qualifiers, winning all 6 of their games and only conceding once, in a group which also contained South Africa (even though they qualify automatically, they still have to play in the qualifiers as round 1 and 2 of the WC qualifiers are also the qualifiers for the ACoN, and round 3 of the WC qualifiers is also the group stage of the ACoN).

The 5 groups for the final round of African qualifiers are (only group winners qualify):

Group A

Togo

Cameroon

Morocco

Gabon

Group B

Mozambique

Nigeria

Kenya

Tunisia

Group C

Rwanda

Algeria

Egypt

Zambia

Group D

Ghana

Benin

Sudan

Mali

Group E

Ivory Coast

Malawi

Burkina Faso

Guinea

This is great stuff, thanks. Surely though, even if the temperatures are fairly low, it willl be really humid? Even if it is, I suppose it wont be as bad as I thought which in some ways disappoints me :(

I'd have loved to see some unusual suspects spring a surprise :rolleyes:

Could still happen I suppose B)

I reckon Australia should go well in this cup. We have pretty much qualified' date=' (we sit top of our group with 10 points) and need only one more win to qualify - I think...:)

We are probably Asia's strongest team (if we play all of our stars:D) and we have been excellent under Verbeek. I reckon we could make it to the round of 8, but i suppose it depends on the draw. We would have made the round of 8 last cup except for a dubious penalty - [url']http://www.tv.com/fifa-world-cup-germany-2006/round-of-16-italy-vs.-australia/episode/801916/recap.html?tag=overview;recap[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Medina_Cantalejo

(the ref seemed to really hate Australia...)

totally agree!

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Ireland 3 - 2 Poland :D

Ooooh Holy Goalie :D If you didnt see the backbass bounce over his foot and into the net, you missed a great laugh. It was very Robinson-esque

Norn Iron top the group having played 2 games more than the rest.

Sour notes before and during the game, a riot between Norn Iron fans broke out before the game with bottles, bricks and fireworks being thrown. And during the game the linesman was hit by a coin thrown from the Norn Iron fans. Not the kind of behaviour we expect from the worlds best fans.

England can be a class act or a team that shouldn't even be conisidered a decent team.

Capello can lead us to something special but IMO Heskey isn't the player we need up front.He scored tonight be he doesn't bag a load of goals and desn't have the pace to beat defenders.Swap him for Abonglahor and i think we will play even better.He has pace bags goals and IMO is aready a better player than Heskey.

How Ashley Young isn't in the team instead of Beckham a few months ago he was one of if not the best player in the Prem.His form was stunning but then he got a red card and he went a bit low profile.Beckham on the ther hand is being shared around by LA Galaxy and Milan.People say that he is playing great but IMO he isn't and Milan don't need to carry a player.

In the Center of midfield we have found out that Lampard Gerrard just doesn't work.I think that Carrick is the perfect foil for Lampard or Gerrard and that Gerrard and lampard can switch whenever one has a sticky patch or plays sublime for club or country.IMO Carrick should go in ahead Barry on any day of the week as Carrick is a great all round player and Barry just isn't on the same level

Nuff said if England make a few changes we could go a long way in this world cup.

Here's a summary of what's happening in qualifiers across the six different zones:

EUROPE

(9 group winners qualify, 8 best runners-up go to playoffs with 4 winners qualifying)

Group 1

Denmark - 4 (played) - 10 (points)

Hungary - 5 ---------- 10

Portugal - 5 ---------- 6

Sweden - 4 ---------- 6

Albania -- 6 ---------- 6

Malta --- 6 ---------- 1

Group 2

Greece ----- 5 - 10

Switzerland - 5 - 10

Israel ------- 5 - 9

Latvia ------ 5 - 7

Luxembourg - 5 - 4

Moldova ---- 5 - 1

Group 3

N. Ireland -- 6 - 10

Slovakia --- 4 - 9

Czech Rep - 5 - 8

Slovenia --- 5 - 8

Poland ----- 5 - 7

San Marino - 5 - 0

Group 4

Germany ------ 5 - 13

Russia -------- 4 - 9

Finland ------- 4 - 7

Wales -------- 5 - 6

Azerbaijan ---- 4 - 1

Liechtenstein - 4 - 1

Group 5

Spain ----- 5 - 15

Bosnia H. - 5 - 9

Turkey --- 5 - 8

Belgium -- 5 - 7

Estonia -- 5 - 2

Armenia - 5 - 1

Group 6

England ---- 4 - 12

Croatia ----- 4 - 7

Ukraine ----- 3 - 7

Belarus ----- 3 - 3

Kazakhstan - 4 - 3

Andorra ---- 4 - 0

Group 7

Serbia -------- 5 - 12

Lithuania ----- 5 - 9

France ------- 4 - 7

Austria ------- 4 - 4

Romania ------ 4 - 4

Faroe Islands - 4 - 1

Group 8

Italy -------- 5 - 13

Rep. Ireland - 5 - 11

Bulgaria ----- 4 - 4

Cyprus ------ 4 - 4

Montenegro - 4 - 2

Georgia ----- 6 - 2

Group 9

Netherlands - 4 - 12

Iceland ----- 4 - 4

Scotland ---- 4 - 4

Macedonia -- 3 - 3

Norway ----- 3 - 2

SOUTH AMERICA

(top 4 qualify, 5th goes to playoff vs N/C America 4th)

Paraguay -- 11 - 23

Argentina -- 11 - 19

Brazil ------ 10 - 17

Uruguay --- 11 - 16

Chile ------ 10 - 16

Columbia -- 11 - 14

Ecuador --- 10 - 12

Venezuela - 11 - 10

Bolivia ----- 11 - 9

Peru ------- 10 - 7

NORTH/CENTRAL AMERICA

(top 3 qualify, 4th goes to playoff vs S America 5th)

USA ------- 2 - 4

Mexico ----- 2 - 3

Costa Rica - 2 - 3

El Salvador - 2 - 2

T&T -------- 2 - 2

Honduras --- 2 - 1

AFRICA

(group winners qualify)

Group A

Gabon ---- 1 - 3

Togo ----- 1 - 3

Morocco -- 1 - 0

Cameroon - 1 - 0

Group B

Tunisia ------ 1 - 3

Mozambique - 0 - 0

Nigeria ------ 0 - 0

Kenya ------- 1 - 0

Group C

Algeria -- 1 - 1

Rwanda - 1 - 1

Zambia -- 0 - 0

Egypt --- 0 - 0

Group D

Mali --- 1 - 1

Sudan - 1 - 1

Benin -- 0 - 0

Ghana - 0 - 0

Group E

Burkina Faso - 1 - 3

Ivory Coast -- 0 - 0

Malawi ------- 0 - 0

Guinea ------- 1 - 0

ASIA

(top 2 qualify, 3rd goes to playoff, winner of playoff plays New Zealand for qualification)

Group 1

Japan ------ 5 - 11

Australia --- 4 - 10

Uzbekistan - 5 - 4

Bahrain ---- 5 - 4

Quatar ---- 5 - 4

Group 2

North Korea --------- 5 - 10

South Korea --------- 4 - 8

Saudi Arabia --------- 5 - 7

Iran ----------------- 5 - 6

United Arab Emirates - 5 - 1

OCEANIA

(New Zealand won and play winner of Asian playoff for qualification)

New Zealand -- 6 - 15

New Caledonia - 6 - 8

Fiji ------------ 6 - 7

Vanuatu ------- 6 - 4

Guest melbguy1

Pirlo seriously needs to be drug tested, I'm 99.99% sure that he pulls a cone before each match..

Good game today by Italy altough Buffon pulled off a great save to keep the opposition at bay. Pirlo's penalty was cheeky and Pazzini scored on his international debut. Di Natale got badly injured very early on and without Del Piero or Cassano on the bench Italy played the stock standard crossing game.. Shame Del Piero wasn't in the squad :(

From the way the CAN 2008 was organised well in Ghana, the world Cup will be better.

South Africa can be much more prepared as they are the most developed country in Africa and it is a WORLD CUP so they won't slack.

I went yesterday to the Accra Sports Stadium to see Togo vs Cameroon.

Togo won 1-0 with Adebayor scoring the opener 5 minutes from kick off but he missed a penalty later in the game.

Togo where by far the better team from all departments. Adebayor displayed the "sexy" Arsenal football with the smile always on his face:D

Eto'o didn't get the assistance he's used to at Barca but he was fair.

Did any one watch the Germany game? I'm particularly concerned about Tasci's performance.

Northern Ireland 1 - 0 Slovenia :D :D Great Result!! Feeney!!

Oh and How do Poland bounce back from their 3-2 Loss to Norn Iron???.... by beating San Marino. ...Comfortably.

Poland 10 (Yes Ten :eek:) - 0 San Marino

Boguski 1

Smolarek 18

Boguski 27

Lewandowski 43

Jelen 51

Smolarek 60

Lewandowski 63

Smolarek 73

Smolarek 81

Saganowski 88

Haha Double post from me... I must be the only one not interested in the England game ;)

England 2-1 Ukraine

Northern Ireland 1-0 Slovenia

Scotland 2-1 Iceland

Wales 0-2 Germany

Italy 1-1 Rep of Ireland

Guess those are the important results.

Still in Shock over Polands 10-0 win