Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Can't wait to see them get smashed versus the better competition.

I'll second this.

For me' date=' Argentina is little more than a pretty firework. They'll get thrashed when they face their first serious NT in the tournament: Germany.

At the end of this day, I still maintain my bet that Argentina will [u']not[/u] win the WC, even if I have significantly better odds.

Guest drseanfitz

well I hope all this talk of Germany doing well comes to fruition, I had a sneaky bet on them pre-tournemant at 14-1

Respuesta: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Really ?

I wouldn't doubt that Argentina's betting odds (money flow) are likely going to sky-rocket after this match...

...But I would hardly put them as the team to beat.

Don't let this current game vs Mexico fool you. It was always going to be a crush. Mexico has no defense and a front-line that has barely played together. Then throw in their ability to hit the self destruct button as soon a humanly possible and the should-be high-scoring game was really over before it started.

And as far as the Mexico game goes' date='[/b'] they were gifted a blatantly offside goal and then the CB handed Higuain their 2nd. Mexico went all out in the 2nd half, completely left the barn-door open defensively and the Argies couldn't take advantage at all (barring the great 25yd strike by Tevez).

These guys are obviously doing something right (4 wins out of 4), but they haven't really played a team that has been able to take advantage of their many deficiencies yet.

Argentina obviously have firepower out the yang, the best player on the planet, the top 2 in-form players in the world (Milito/Higuain) a warrior in Heinze, and a super super brilliantly smart maestro in Veron.

But they also have

1. A VERY VERY VERY suspect keeper
  2. A central defense that can be exposed
  3. ABSOLUTELY ZERO wing-play
  4. A ramshackeled RB situation, because their RB (Jonas) is a joke
  5. And a coach who is an egomaniacal nutcase who will find a way to self destruct (look no further than his half-time antics in this match for an example of how he is always on the verge of losing any self-control)

I agree with everything here. However, I think Maradona should get some credit - not for his decisions but, as ESPN commentator Ian Darke said, for taking the public eye off his players. I wonder when the media will finally realize that Maradona is actually no more than a figurehead! Germany, meanwhile, are a force to be reckoned with. I'm not surprised they've done so well. They have a brilliant, energetic team of players who are always hard-working and, most of all, capable of working together. Their ability to play together has been wonderful. Only Spain and probably Brazil have proved to be capable of moving the ball around with their seemingly telepathic communication. I think the Dutch will be a spectacle once Robben is back 100%. Their game against Hungary before the World Cup was Germany-esque.

From what I've seen England lost the game today, Germany didn't win it. The first goal was just a punt up the pitch that any other defence in the tournament would deal with. The second was shocking aswell, Podolski had all the time in the world and if he took the same firsat touch against a decent defence, he wouldn't have got the shot away. The third was a three on one as England for some reason put nine men in the box and you could argue James could have done better. The final goal was similar as England were pushing so many men forward.

Boo hoo. :o

I really feel for you.

I really feel for you too' date=' I'll go on to explain why :)

England billed as 'slight favourites' according to the Beeb's commentators... :o

I didn't think they interviewed at lunatic asylums, but I'm pretty sure the general populace of the world feels differently.

The bookies had England has slight favourites, worldwide that is, so ' I'm pretty sure the general populace of the world' feels the same.

Don't get me started on lunatic asylums though, what with you and your fantasy worlds.

4-2 then' date=' I'm no idiot, if the goal had stood it would've taken the wind out of Germany's sail, but Germany would still have won.

I have a horrible feeling the ref and linesmen are going to be in our back pages for a while to come.

[b']1) Denial [/b] - It's alright, it's just the World Cup, we still have our golden generation.

2) Anger - Bloody Germans. Bloody Ref. Bloody Linesman. Mention the War.

3) Bargaining - Gerrard, Lampard, giev tem one more good world cup!

4) Depression - Didn't even make the quarters, what next?

5) Acceptance - We're not in 1966, we need to improve.

I predict a lot of 2, and very little of 5.

Having the problems you do, i.e. struggling with the truth and generally living in your dreams, I'm guessing you're familiar with this from group therapy? Something like this?

1) Denial - It's alright, it's just a forum, I am actually training to be a doctor and have 20k+ in my bank account.

2) Anger - Nightmare, someone has found out I'm talking out of my back passage.

3) Bargaining - I'll deny it and see if it goes away.

4) Depression - Everyone thinks I'm a freak, and I've run away from my beloved forum, what am I going to do?

5) Acceptance - I need help.

Chewett - go and *flip* yourself. :rolleyes:

I've made it perfectly clear I don't support England and have given my reasons' date=' but to call me anti-English ([b']A RACIST[/b]) I won't accept. My father spent his first 4 or so years of his life in Stanmore and supports England and Northern ireland in equal flag-draping aplomb, and I've been instilled with a greater respect of the English National Side than if I were had my dad not raised me - I'd probably be like SwanseaJack.

To be fair, how do we know that's true? Last time you were here you were spending 10k+ on a car, and studying medicine at uni. GOODUN.

In regards to England. We are an average team, with a lot of overrated players, and a manager who's Italian style just isn't cutting it with us.

There's only one manager who we will win a WC with in this present climate, and he's a bloody Jock!! :(

Really ?

I wouldn't doubt that Argentina's betting odds (money flow) are likely going to sky-rocket after this match...

...But I would hardly put them as the team to beat.

Don't let this current game vs Mexico fool you. It was always going to be a crush. Mexico has no defense and a front-line that has barely played together. Then throw in their ability to hit the self destruct button as soon a humanly possible and the should-be high-scoring game was really over before it started.

And as far as the Mexico game goes' date='[/b'] they were gifted a blatantly offside goal and then the CB handed Higuain their 2nd. Mexico went all out in the 2nd half, completely left the barn-door open defensively and the Argies couldn't take advantage at all (barring the great 25yd strike by Tevez).

These guys are obviously doing something right (4 wins out of 4), but they haven't really played a team that has been able to take advantage of their many deficiencies yet..

So far so good. Both Argentina's game and your post, but I want to comment few of your later points.

Argentina obviously have firepower out the yang, the best player on the planet, the top 2 in-form players in the world (Milito/Higuain) a warrior in Heinze, and a super super brilliantly smart maestro in Veron.

I love seeing Veron on field again, one of the greatest players (whole career counted) that participate this World Cup, but he doesn't start and that might be because he really has no place in Maradona's midfield. That should change though, Di Maria is pap. One of the players I waited to see and it seems I've missed nothing. Also, Milito doesn't start, but then again Tevez seems to be in form too. Very good match from him, not only the goals, but all round good.

But they also have

1. A VERY VERY VERY suspect keeper
  2. A central defense that can be exposed
  3. ABSOLUTELY ZERO wing-play
  4. A ramshackeled RB situation' date=' because their RB (Jonas) is a joke
    [*']And a coach who is an egomaniacal nutcase who will find a way to self destruct (look no further than his half-time antics in this match for an example of how he is always on the verge of losing any self-control)

It is indeed surprising that with Di Maria (supposedly a wing player?), Maxi and Higuain in the team they have very little or none wing play. Is it Messi who brings the play into the middle every single time? Or why do they seem to play 4-3-3 without any wide players? It certainly isn't because of Maradona, I'm sure he doesn't have game plan except for "you guys in, go win it, play to Messi, he is good". About RBs you're right. That central defence seems like it could have used some helps from Inter after all.

By the way: how big a sensation has Muller been this season! Guy came pretty much from nowhere to take first striker place in Bayern and now in German NT. Awesome season. Good player, really good play tonight, be it that England's defence isn't amongst the toughest. Ok, they didn't concede so many goals before, but this was the first team that attacked against them. Note how badly Terry has played. Not only tonight but in every game (aside from Slovenia match that I didn't see). He has been one of the worst defender of this tournament to me. Upson was way above him and when I saw Upson made the English squad I laughed. England needs to introduce some new young defenders to their squad.

Respuesta: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

From what I've seen England lost the game today' date=' Germany didn't win it. The first goal was just a punt up the pitch that any other defence in the tournament would deal with. The second was shocking aswell, Podolski had all the time in the world and if he took the same firsat touch against a decent defence, he wouldn't have got the shot away. The third was a three on one as England for some reason put nine men in the box and you could argue James could have done better. The final goal was similar as England were pushing so many men forward.[/quote']

Sort of agree with you, just not entirely on Germany not winning it. But yeah, the English defending was atrocious. Statistically and tactically speaking, England were defending as badly as the Australians today. :rolleyes: The worst thing was that they didn't learn their lesson, the defenders. One goal wasn't enough. Nor two. Three didn't wake them up. Fourth came too late. Such irresponsibility shouldn't deserve a win... The Germans, meanwhile, were dominant on both halves of the pitch, although a bit shaky in defense at times.

Re: Respuesta: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

I agree with everything here. However' date=' I think Maradona should get some credit - not for his decisions but, as ESPN commentator Ian Darke said, for taking the public eye off his players. I wonder when the media will finally realize that Maradona is actually no more than a figurehead! Germany, meanwhile, are a force to be reckoned with. I'm not surprised they've done so well. They have a brilliant, energetic team of players who are always hard-working and, most of all, capable of working together. Their ability to play together has been wonderful. Only Spain and probably Brazil have proved to be capable of moving the ball around with their seemingly telepathic communication. I think the Dutch will be a spectacle once Robben is back 100%. Their game against Hungary before the World Cup was Germany-esque.[/quote']

Holland with Robben in the side is a completely different side as far as I'm concerned,when they play a front four of Van Persie,Kuyt,Van Der Vaart and Sneijder it's too narrow and Sneijder and Van Der Vaart try and operate in the same places in the field and the same role,when Robben is in the side it gives them natural width and therefore they can create more attacks because of it,I think that the Dutch have been holding back but winning and will do the same against Slovakia,however when they get to the quarter finals is when we see the proper Dutch side and I hope they win it as I've said they will win it all the way through.

The bookies had England has slight favourites, worldwide that is, so ' I'm pretty sure the general populace of the world' feels the same.

Don't get me started on lunatic asylums though, what with you and your fantasy worlds.

Having the problems you do, i.e. struggling with the truth and generally living in your dreams, I'm guessing you're familiar with this from group therapy? Something like this?

[b']1) Denial [/b] - It's alright, it's just a forum, I am actually training to be a doctor and have 20k+ in my bank account.

4) Depression - Everyone thinks I'm a freak, and I've run away from my beloved forum, what am I going to do?

To be fair, how do we know that's true? Last time you were here you were spending 10k+ on a car, and studying medicine at uni. GOODUN.

Aren't you being bit harsh here?

By the way, although England no doubt was one of the biggest favorites with Brazil and Spain coming to this tournament, at this point I'd suppose most of the pundits saw Germany being tougher. The betting odds signaling England to win result from England being played a lot, which is more about gambling culture of the fans of England than about what people generally feel. By the way, Germany has got to the quarters or higher every time since their victory 1954, except for in 1978, but that time there were no Quarter Finals, only a Second Round, to which 8 teams participated, so it was sort of "Quarters", and guess what: Germany made to that second round. So, historically, there was no team as certain to advance from this round than Germany.

Aren't you being bit harsh here?

By the way' date=' although England no doubt was one of the biggest favorites with Brazil and Spain coming to this tournament, at this point I'd suppose most of the pundits saw Germany being tougher. The betting odds signaling England to win result from England being played a lot, which is more about gambling culture of the fans of England than about what people generally feel. By the way, Germany has got to the quarters or higher every time since their victory 1954, except for in 1978, but that time there were no Quarter Finals, only a Second Round, to which 8 teams participated, so it was sort of "Quarters", and guess what: Germany made to that second round. So, historically, there was no team as certain to advance from this round than Germany.[/quote']

I don't mind spam but when he slates England he's gunna get something like that and it isn't too far from the truth. :rolleyes:

Guest Scout Maker

Not good enough from England, even I found myself a little upset when the 3rd and 4th went in. Shame that Rio and Ledley were injured. Klose is slow yet against Terry and Upson he looked like Aaron Lennon. Also, if you are chasing the game and needing 3 goals, you don't bring on a lump who scored two goals last season, you bring on the Striker with the best goalscoring record for England out of our strikers currently.

Rhys Williams? Aaron Ramsey? Give it a rest, Finland finished 6 points above you in qualifying for this World Cup, they haven't even reached a World Cup finals themselves.

All that excitement, World Cup songs, Flags, all gone, dissapointing to lose all the atmosphere of the World Cup here so early, although I'm sure alot of people won't, there will be a lot of people who now don't care who wins the World Cup and hardly take any notice to it.

News of the World caption "Mullered" :P (Sorry, had to say it)

[b']1) Denial [/b] - It's alright, it's just a forum, I am actually training to be a doctor and have 20k+ in my bank account.

In regards to England. We are an average team, with a lot of overrated players, and a manager who's Italian style just isn't cutting it with us.

There's only one manager who we will win a WC with in this present climate, and he's a bloody Jock!! :(

Oh Tommy, you always seem to strike a chord with me, although I do think my post a couple of pages back was a bit more direct in sending out the same message.

Anyone fancy going to Brazil in four years time? Me and a mate of mine are gonna start saving now.

EDIT: Oh, and a shout out to the best fans in the world - the only ones this World Cup who you could hear over the vuvuzelas.

Looks like you're stuck in the anger phase son! :o

Don't mind though, pathetic how wound up some people are over this, and how they feel they need to belittle people/take out some of their anger over the internet, like this match was their entire life and it's fallen into ruin... Case in point above. ;)

I'm a 4chan vet, I can take abuse from a saddo like you all day long and so it phases me in pretty much no way, aside from wasting my time by getting me to respond to the initial post. :P

Get over yourself, get a grip, and get real - noone cares if you chuck a wobbler! And pwease don't caww me a fweak diddums, I might get upsett. :(

neuer.png

I can slate England all I want, it's what they deserve after this World Cup, a showing more typical of a team that finds itself outside FIFA's top 10 teams.

I hope FIFA's next update considers this, as England, France and Italy should all drop heavily. But of course I'm Anti-English and a Racist for telling it the way it is! :P

EDIT: twice you've brought up my past - IE lying about myself on the forum - are you a saddo, or do you just get your kicks from it? I assume both, and I'll advise you, like I advised someone else earlier, to go buy a punchbag or something. Sad that some people live their lives with so much anger. Just leave the pathetic in their own little world I suppose, it's better off for all of us. For your information, after the work doen on my car and the brand spankin' new set of alloys I'd guestimate it's worth about £4.5 or £5k. :)

Next WC Gerrard and Lampard will be well over the hill, and England's are well behind the likes of Spain, Brazil, Belgium, Germany, France, Russia etc. when it comes to academies producing talent.

Where's the next golden generation coming from?

Don't mind though' date=' pathetic how wound up some people are over this, and how they feel they need to belittle people/take out some of their anger over the internet, like this match was their entire life and it's fallen into ruin... Case in point above. ;)

I'm a 4chan vet, I can take abuse from a saddo like you all day long and so it phases me in pretty much no way, aside from wasting my time by getting me to respond to the initial post. :P

Get over yourself, get a grip, and get real - noone cares if you chuck a wobbler! And pwease don't caww me a fweak diddums, I might get upsett. :([/quote']

Son? Where I'm from 14 year old kids don't call their elders son. Although you'll no doubt have a story about how you're actually 26, married, with 2 kids.

The match hurt, but it was not my whole life. I posted the above because you're a bell end, not because what you said at all bothered me. No anger at all, and I'd say what was pathetic was living in a dream world on an internet all day, with people you'll never meet.

Again, in regards to calling me a 'saddo', I'd say what I have written above describing how you need help pretty much covers the fact that you're wrong there.

Zzzzzzz, it wasn't a wobbler, I just decided to spent my limited time on the internet (I have a life, a real one...) putting a fruitcake in his place.

Get back to your University Library, driving you 20k car around the empty streets of London, whilst revising Medicine.

Don't mind though' date=' pathetic how wound up some people are over this, and how they feel they need to belittle people/take out some of their anger over the internet, like this match was their entire life and it's fallen into ruin... Case in point above. ;)

Get over yourself, get a grip, and get real - noone cares if you chuck a wobbler! And pwease don't caww me a fweak diddums, I might get upsett. :(

[center']neuer.png[/center]

I can slate England all I want, it's what they deserve after this World Cup, a showing more typical of a team that finds itself outside FIFA's top 10 teams.

I hope FIFA's next update considers this, as England, France and Italy should all drop heavily. But of course I'm Anti-English and a Racist for telling it the way it is! :P

The thing is, you're slating England as if we don't realise how bad we are/were this World Cup. You're criticising us when we're fully aware that we derserved to lose today, regardless of whether or not Lampard scored or not. And you say all of this so smugly for someone who had to lie about their identity on an online forum. If anyone is sad or pathetic on here, as you imply that Tom is, then it is you, my friend. Grow some balls before coming on here calling the shots you sad, sad little boy.

And I have to add to your edit, because it's so full of irony. Can you really call us sad for bringing up "your past", as you put it, when your antics are on a complete other level of sadness. Who on earth in their right mind would lie about themselves on an internet forum? Who on earth are you trying to impress by lying? You sir are the pathetic one thinking that we care about your £5k car (with alloys....everybody join in, "ooooohhh"....).

Stop trying to address England's problems as if we don't know they're there. You're incredibly naive, or should I just say a more appropriate term for thinking that we don't realise all of this; stupid.

EDIT: twice you've brought up my past - IE lying about myself on the forum - are you a saddo' date=' or do you just get your kicks from it? I assume both, and I'll advise you, like I advised someone else earlier, to go buy a punchbag or something. Sad that some people live their lives with so much anger. Just leave the pathetic in their own little world I suppose, it's better off for all of us. For your information, after the work doen on my car and the brand spankin' new set of alloys I'd guestimate it's worth about £4.5 or £5k. :)[/quote']

And in reply to your edit....

LOL!!!

Still in the dream world with the car then yeah? Are you even old enough to not choke on the small bits of a toy car? And yeah, I believe that as a first time driver you got insured on a 1.6 TDI, and had spare change to do it out.

Calling me sad and pathetic is so hypocritical it is untrue. Really, find something decent, or at least half funny to say, or just don't bother replying.

Oh, and unlike you, rep really doesn't bother me, but I have over 200+ points from putting you in your place. Remind me again why you came back?

Respuesta: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Looks like people forgot that this thread was for discussing the world cup. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what does everyone think about Netherlands vs. Brazil? Wonderful match that would be, given that both sides are so wonderful in keeping possession. :eek: I'm still hoping that Brazil will get knocked out, though. :D

On a more positive note (for the English)' date=' what's our team going to look like in four years time?

It'll obviously be nowhere near this, but it'd be nice if these players hit their potential:

[center']Hart

Naughton - Shawcross - Jones/Smalling - Cole

Rodwell

Wilshere - Milner

Gerrard

Rooney - Agbonlahor?[/center]

Tbf, that defense would probably have put up a better fight than ours did. Alternatively, you could swap Milner for Walcott/Lennon at play 4-4-2.

I would go for

Hart

Walker Jones Rodwell Cole

Delph

Cleverly Milner

Wilshere

Rooney Carroll/Sturridge

I am sure players will break through within that 4 years that I haven't heard of but it doesn't look like too bad a side.

First off have to say was a great couple of matches today, easily the most entertaining i have seen so far.

I'll start with the the England game and a couple of my thoughts. These may have already been brought up already but seriously i aint reading through the last like 50 pages, which mostly seem to be people slagging each other off rather than actual discussions on the games :rolleyes:

Obviously Lampard's "goal" is the most controversial, how on earth the ref or in particular the linesman didn't see that is embarrassing :o At this level there is zero excuse for that. Saying that England were absolutely woeful and didn't deserve anything other than a thumping. Had the goal been given then going in 2-2 at half-time then it could have been a different story, fact is it wasn't and England had to just get on with it.

Germany's first 2 goals were simply down to awful defending, the first one i mean geez what can you say :o Second one was terrible also, there didn't seem to be any cohesion in the back 4, Upson and Terry looked lost and Germany should have put the game to bed within half an hour.

But the 3rd goal really really baffles me, its only 2-1 with around 20-25 minutes to go, England win a free kick in a similar position to where Lampard smacked one off the bar, its obvious he is going to smash the ball goalwords so why on earth have England got 8 players ahead of Lampard :eek: Cole i think it was the only one who was behind the ball and sure enough Germany got the ball, countered and got the killer 3rd.

And finally for the 4th Gareth Barry has like a 10 yard start on Ozil yet Ozil ends up 10 yards in front of Barry! Is Barry really that slow? Or Ozil really that quick? Either way Barry had a chance to take Ozil out and take a booking but he let him go and then it truly is game over. Anyway best team won both on the night and throughout the tournament and England have noone to blame but themselves.

Argentina game was also quite tasty but i wont dwell on that one so much. Will only comment on Tevez's first as again shocking decision by the linesman, i can only think that maybe the linesman wasn't sure if Tevez had gotten a touch and therefore never flagged. Was embarrassing though when they saw it on the screen and realised they mucked up, but they couldn't reverse the decision as their decision was based on technology. Anyways 2nd goal the Mexican defender :o 3rd goal was a cracker :eek: and Hernandez goal was quality! Oh and actually lols at Heinze :D

Finally Germany V Argentina should be a really entertaining match also!

Edit: And another thing i dont understand why Capello insisted on playing 4-4-2 again. Fair enough in the group stages you should be able to get away with it against the so called weaker teams, yet the fact they really struggled in each of the games surely should indicate 4-4-2 isn't working. It was always going to be the case that if they played the same system against a better side they would be humbled and thats precisely what happened. Well done Germany anyway they were a class apart and thoroughly deserved their win.

I not saw the game, only saw the highlights and the goals.

What football have as most attractive is it's simplicity and their simple rules and is this what makes football so special. People are discussing since 1966 if that was goal or not and will probably discuss that forever. Will always exist different opinions for a different situation in the game, will always be a discussion if the referee was right or not, and if FIFA introduces a video referee, his performances will also be discussed. I am not sure if introducing technologies will be positive to the football. We can have worst referees, because in dubious questions can wait for the decision of the video referee, this could extend to more 'dead' time in the game, in the period of the video referee takes to get a decision, the ball could be easily in the other side of the field as it's possible in 10secs and after he makes a decision could stop a dangerous counter attack, and after that period, he can decide 'wrong' at our eyes.

Where the referees have more problems it's in the offside rule, to know if was goal or not and if it was penalty. In the last, technology wouldn't help much, as sometimes it's the intensity of the touch that makes the other player fall, and will not be a camera to decide it, maybe if it's inside or out of the area, but will probably be always a doubt between the referee and the video referee and who will have reason if both have different opinions? Will be the video referee that haves more power in the decision? The objective is try reduce the error, but as much Humans you add to it, more opinions you will get. The offside rule, is probably the only rule that have to change. We saw a lot of times, great goals to be anulled because a player was 10cm offside. But as the great in football are the goals, they should be enhanced as they become rare nowadays. And changing the offside rule could be a way to 'solve' this. Where i think technology could be implanted, is to know if was goal or not. Adding chips to the ball, not ''adding'' more humans to take decisions.

I think introducing technoly will change surely the way teams play football, the way we see football and probably the way we feel the game. I am more worried about the last, we could lose the fervor that a football game transmits.

About Argentina, they will have much difficulties against Germany, mainly defending the counter attacks. Argentina attacks with 6/7 and they not worry with their defensive process after lose the ball. Di Maria has been more worried to defend than attack, in this team he can't afford to lose the ball, as he hardly will have anyone behind him to recover the ball, so it's normally he not tries a 1vs1 so frequently as he does in Benfica. The biggest error in this game was made by Osorio, that tried step the ball and made an assist to Higuain. Salcido also impressed me much, as he shots well from distance with both feet, probably deserving a better club than he have right now. Hernandez is just class and will be surely score much goals for United.. Probably a type of player United missed when 'sold' Tevez.

Portugal for the 4th time will have a South American referee in the game, that speaks the same language as Spain.. :rolleyes:

Last time when England was out of the EURO2008, UEFA decided extend the number of teams in the EUROs to 24 from 16.. now as England was knocked out with a goal that existed but not was assigned, FIFA might think twice about technology.. :o