Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

whoever it is earlier who said i will begin to hate Lagerback....................you're correct.

Why did Martins and Odemwingie not start.........yeah let's play a striker on the wing on the wrong side to top it off. In why the hell did anyone let Haruna near the set pieces, not once but multiple times:mad::mad::mad:

Absolutely disgusting.

Hmm, here's food for thought. Is Enyeama > Hart/Green/James?

Obviously he's only had one good game today, but from reports he's like this regularly at club level. He really deserves a chance in one of the bigger leagues to prove himself.

Greece/Nigeria will be interesting. Two teams had very realistic hopes of qualifying, now know that defeat and they as good as out (they will be out if South Korea somehow draw with Argentina). Providing Argentina do beat South Korea, Nigeria would still be in with a shot if they lose, as they play South Korea in the last game, but defeat for Greece and they're World Cup is over.

It's funny that losing your very first game can as good as put you out already. Greece now need to beat Nigeria and get something from Argentina to go through - quite unlikely. As mentioned during the game today - lose your opener and all the pressure is on you for the second game that. The opening game is huge, especially for England, with it being the toughest game of the group. USA are a little unknown quantity but they beat Spain and can be quality on their day. If England are not at their best we could very well be punished.

Hmm' date=' here's food for thought. Is Enyeama > Hart/Green/James?

Obviously he's only had one good game today, but from reports he's like this regularly at club level. He really deserves a chance in one of the bigger leagues to prove himself.

Greece/Nigeria will be interesting. Two teams had very realistic hopes of qualifying, now know that defeat and they as good as out (they will be out if South Korea somehow draw with Argentina). Providing Argentina do beat South Korea, Nigeria would still be in with a shot if they lose, as they play South Korea in the last game, but defeat for Greece and they're World Cup is over.

It's funny that losing your very first game can as good as put you out already. Greece now need to beat Nigeria and get something from Argentina to go through - quite unlikely. As mentioned during the game today - lose your opener and all the pressure is on you for the second game that. The opening game is huge, especially for England, with it being the toughest game of the group. USA are a little unknown quantity but they beat Spain and can be quality on their day. If England are not at their best we could very well be punished.[/quote']

Well quite agree with you. I feel the only thing that'll bring down is they themselves. Over confidence may be the key here. Things like, "Having the best chance in the last 40 years to win the cup" "the golden generation" and stuff like that have got the morale in the team to soaring heights but then there is a thin line between confidence and over confidence. And England need to be on the former side and not the latter.

They surely have the quality in them. But they weren't impressive in their warm up matches. I think the whole team should step up as a unit and not just depend on Rooney to do things for you. I still don't understand why Heskey is in the team. Bent had a great season and surely deserved to be in the team. If you can take Heskey, then there's no reason why Owen shouldn't have been selected, ignoring the fact that he isn't match fit as of now. (Owen 9 goals in 31 games, Heskey 5 goals in 42 games) I really hope Heskey proves me wrong, but then I was never an admirer of him. I am not pointing that Owen should have been selected, I'm just saying that Bent deserved his chance.

It's funny that losing your very first game can as good as put you out already. Greece now need to beat Nigeria and get something from Argentina to go through - quite unlikely. As mentioned during the game today - lose your opener and all the pressure is on you for the second game that. The opening game is huge, especially for England, with it being the toughest game of the group. USA are a little unknown quantity but they beat Spain and can be quality on their day. If England are not at their best we could very well be punished.[/quote']

I told you he was good ;) :

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=38012

Feel sorry for Guitierrez at right back' date='[b']his not even bloody right footed[/b] and has probably never played there before in his career and know his playing against a brilliant left back in Taiwo,Im impressed with Argentina going forward but I can see Nigeria scoring.

omg your a toon fan and your wrong... Gutierrez is right footed...

Gutierrez plays left wing but is right footed.

omg your a toon fan and your wrong... Gutierrez is right footed...

Gutierrez plays left wing but is right footed.

Well of course he can use his right foot but his better with his left than his right,he always crosses with his right foot and he can't cross for his life which says it all,if you watch him run and when he beats a few players his mainly left sided.

Guest JackWWFC

He is moving to Europe this season, he has been transfer listed by request for 2 Million Euros. Mick McCarthy seemed to be a fan on the commentary, so maybe a replacement for Hanhemann once he retires :D

We really need to stop agreeing on stuff :P It's scaring me. I'm fine with Milner but would have gone for Crouch over Heskey but that argument's been had.

I'm fine with the whole squad, but just Heskey worries me, but it has been said he plays well along side Rooney and apparently Rooney benefits from it. I just hope he can bag a goal as at the moment he only scores on average a goal every 424 minutes or something.

Overall' date=' the WC has been boring.[/b']

@Di Maria: Is hard to shine in a team when you can even get the ball.

Yeah, he had a poor game but Argentina played like 75% on the right side.

There has only been 4 games...:rolleyes:

I actually think the games have been decent bar the France vs Uruguay game which was really poor.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, USA FTW!:D

Onyewu will more than match Heskey.

Crouch's height would give him that aerial advantage, and ofcourse he can score. But c'mon U.S.A, i can see Dempsey causing G.Johnson problems, if Donavan cuts insde more than going out on the wing then he'll also cause the defence problems.

Can't see Altidore's U.S based striker doing anything though :(

Guest JackWWFC

Prediction: USA 3 - 1 England

Donavan (x2)' date=' Dempsey

Lampard

:D[/center']

Jealousy :P

England 2-0 USA

Cant see them scoring with a Hull City striker up top..

Guest Scout Maker

Re: FIFA World 2010 Discussions Thread

Between one of the best and one of the most boring there's a lot of differences of degree and not being one of the best matches doesn't make a match one of the worst. Greece's all matches in the Euro you mentioned were worse and more boring than that Uruguay-France. That was the victory of anti-football. That was a case of not only one referee mistake' date=' but of a constant abuse of rules of football and victory by absolutely worst football ever seen on that level. Fortunately that was probably one of the reasons to introduce the rule of three errors (was it three?) resulting in a yellow card and that kind of victory is unlikely happen again and we can enjoy some more fair and attacking football.

I can tell you, there's even possibility that the worst matches are not those that are most boring. Take your sweet South-Korea defeating Italy and Spain with huge referee bias in 2002 World Cup. Try and find a video of those matches. I like Korea too, in kung-fu, but they shouldn't be doing that on football field. They do kick bottoms, but they do it too literally. Those matches are not boring, they're quite exiting, but they are really bad, really really bad.

This Korea-Greece match looks like pinball to me. Two bad sides playing awkward football. Goals alone don't make good game.

And about Ireland whining, worse referee mistakes have happened, but I don't hear that whining continuing in other cases. France should have likewise not have had Lloris sent off in a decisive match against Serbia. Not a day of whining. Whole squad of South Korea should have been sent off in Italy clash 2002, but the Italian whining stopped few weeks after. And that wasn't one obscure situation, that was whole match long kicking the heads of the Koreans and false disallowing of Italian goal, a red card for nothing, etc. It was way more than one mistake, yet Italians, that you might falsely suppose being worse whiners than Irish, didn't demand rematch or anything like that.

Btw, Henry didn't "cheat", if you watch it, he couldn't have seen the ball or expected it to com there (Squillaci should have headed it before it, but he missed it), his hand was moving to that direction before the ball appeared there, and he pulled his hand off immediately after he had hit the ball. Yes, that goal should have been disallowed, yes, France wasn't dominating or even playing well (that was a bad match with two sides playing badly) and yes it wasn't nice that Henry celebrated that goal in such a way, but worse things happen in football, so you should try move on and not make it part of your national identity to whine about one unfortunate happening in your football history. I can't remember whining in football ever before taking such a massive dimensions. Tell me if you can, when has before the governments federations even enterprises started ridiculously huge campaigns of whining for an event in football. And it only was one lousy handball, a referee mistake that happens very often in football - Henry took advantage of it, but that too happens all the time in football and that doesn't cause massive government lead campaigns or result in players being called cheats. I don't hear you calling Keane a cheat nor anybody talking about "Hand of Mick" in reference to the Georgia clash. And I refer to two Georgia clashes, when I say Ireland shouldn't have been in playoffs in first place. That's of course only if you start the ifing with France's place. There's at least as good a case against Ireland here.[/quote']

Ok, the game was not terrible but it wasn't great, I must admit, I was joining the other forumers who were saying it was a rubbish match, but if you are talking about the World Cup where people are expected to perform, no one really shone out yesterday apart from Diaby and maybe Sagna and Forlan.

I was only 5 for the World Cup 2002, so I cannot argue about that.

Yes the sides did play quite poor but I'd prefer not so great football with lots of chances rather than some decent football with only one or two clear cut chances.

But the main point I want to come to is the Ireland game, Lloris was sent off, but that didn't make any difference did it? France managed to get to the World Cup, even though they only managed a point against Serbia, they still thought they would walk through the Play-Offs because of the new Play Off rule which Platini made. Also, get an Italian person and watch them bring up 2002 if South Korea make it through to the Second Round/Quarter Finals.

Henry definitely could have moved his hand out of the way, he hit the ball not once but twice, if he had hit it once the ball would have gone out of the way, but he used his hand again to control it. The only reason he moved his hand out of the way is to make it seem as if he hadn't handballed it. Do you really think the Irish government care about what would happen to Ireland at the World Cup, they couldn't care less if Ireland lost all their Group stage matches 10-0. Think of all the cash they would have got from merchandise, tickets e.t.c. Ireland finished way ahead of Georgia, it wouldn't have mattered if we had drawed both the games, we would have finished two points ahead of Bulgaria anyway. And before you call on the Irish for moaning, look at England, every time Maradona is on the TV screen you mention 1986, if that's not moaning I don't know what is.