Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: FIFA World 2010 Discussions Thread

6-1 ft. :D:d

I wonder whether people will complain because they played at alittude level. Do you guys think Bolivia are advantaged in the sense they are more used to it?

It is all good and well to say that teams train there prior to the game but there is not enough time to get used to the conditions enough for it to have a significant impact on your body.

I reckon they should have used those Altitude camp machines to get used to the lack of Oxygen.

Bolivia have only gone and thumped Argentina 5-1!

Lol. What a shocker. Maradona couldn't manage his drinking habits, nevermind a team. He will be an epic fail IMO. I mean losing to Bolivia is bad, but 6-1 is just embarassing. Carrizo should not be in goal and what Papa started for, nobody will ever know.

Australia look set to become the first team to officially qualify for the world cup after their 2-0 win over Uzbekistan (i was at the stadium:D:D:D) Goals from Joshua Kennedy and a penalty to Harry Kewell secured the win. The Socceroos now need 1 point from thei final 3 gamea against qatar, bahrain and japan to qualify. South Africa here we come!:D

and a side note- the Uzbekistani's are HUGE divers.

Australia look set to become the first team to officially qualify for the world cup after their 2-0 win over Uzbekistan (i was at the stadium:D:D:D) Goals from Joshua Kennedy and a penalty to Harry Kewell secured the win. The Socceroos now need 1 point from thei final 3 gamea against qatar' date=' bahrain and japan to qualify. South Africa here we come!:D

and a side note- the Uzbekistani's are HUGE divers.[/quote']

Australia have a mickey mouse group, but will be good to see them in the WC next year, this time, i will watch EVERY match on TV.

Australia have a mickey mouse group' date=' but will be good to see them in the WC next year, this time, i will watch EVERY match on TV.[/quote']

Wait is this true? Mickey Mouse group?

Well good luck for fans of all countries, hope you qualify tho! :P

I wonder whether people will complain because they played at alittude level. Do you guys think Bolivia are advantaged in the sense they are more used to it?

It is all good and well to say that teams train there prior to the game but there is not enough time to get used to the conditions enough for it to have a significant impact on your body.

Yeah it's no excuse for 6-1' date=' but it's definately a factor. Am I right in thinking Bolivia almost never lose at home but almost never win away? I seem to remember after the qualifiers for WC2006, FIFA were considering making them play home games at a neutral venue... obviously that didn't happen.

And yes, I think you really need at least 2 weeks to a month training at altitude for your red blood cell count to rise high enough to cope with the lack of oxygen.

...Still though, 6-1 is a joke even if they played on the moon with their boot laces tied together. :P

Australia have a mickey mouse group, but will be good to see them in the WC next year, this time, i will watch EVERY match on TV.

I don't think it's possible to have a tough group in the Asian region. :P

Their group has Japan, Bahrain, Uzbekistan and Qatar... the other has S. Korea, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran and UAE. With 2 from each group qualifying, it would be harder for a team like Australia to NOT qualify, whoever they were drawn against. :D

Resilient England Praise Gerrard

Steven Gerrard believes England's spirited fightback in their 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ qualifier against Ukraine wouldn't have been possible before Fabio Capello took charge because the team weren't mentally strong enough.

Capello's side looked on course for three points when Peter Crouch scored in the first half at Wembley on Wednesday, but England were rocked when Andriy Shevchenko came off the bench to equalise for Ukraine late in the second half. During the reign of Capello's predecessor Steve McClaren that would have been the signal for England's fragile morale to collapse according to Liverpool midfielder Gerrard. [+]

Yeah it's no excuse for 6-1' date=' but it's definately a factor. Am I right in thinking Bolivia almost never lose at home but almost never win away? I seem to remember after the qualifiers for WC2006, FIFA were considering making them play home games at a neutral venue... obviously that didn't happen.[/quote']

Yes, you're right. The overwhelming majority of their wins are at home. The only time two times they've done well in the Copa America were also when the tournament was held in Bolivia. No doubt there are physica advantages conferred, but I honestly wonder if they've acquired a psychological edge over the years also. It's aways talked about in an upcoming fixture and it surely gets into the heads of opposing players. In this day and age mimicing altitude training is not so difficult and although the international gap in all honesty is not enough to adapt to these special conditions, the gulf in quality of the two sides on paper should have made up for that and some.

The funniest thing is, when FIFA were considering banning the use of La Paz due to the altitude factor, the Bolivian FA listed the help of several famous footballers to help their case. Maradona, was one of them - how he must be regretting that decision now with Argentina having suffered one of their biggest ever qualifying defeats :P

i was at wembley last night and saturday for the slovakia and ukraine matches. Against Ukraine yesterday we lacked any sort of penetration down the flanks, its all very well playing lennon right side and gerrard left side but when gerrard drifts inside like he did a lot last night, that leaves ashley cole exposed and the ukrainians attacked down the right quite a lot. Also the point of lennon starting is so that we have someone who can run at defenders and beat them.... if glen johnson would pass to him a bit more then maybe this could happen.

When shevchenko came on you could see the fans and players step up a notch and they started to attack more meaningfully and eventually this led to them scoring and ukrainian fans going nuts.

Capello then subbed off crouch and brought on wright-philips, a decision which baffled me seeing as crouch was winning all the headers from long balls, corners etc. and to replace him with the smallest player in the world made no sense whatsoever, but i was proved wrong as john terry scored on 85 minutes to send the crowd wild and starting off a deafening rendition of 'your not singing anymore'

i want to say how much i dislike the ukraine players and fans as during the minutes silence their fans were whistleing and shouting and the players.... well they might as well have had flippers and wet suits on they were diving around all over the place gamst pederson styley

I wonder how much the Mexican football association will have to pay in compensation. I still cant forget the ridiculous amounts of money he got out of the England job. And the way he steered clear of work so he could get more money.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see where he goes from here, but I'd imagine it would probably be Chelsea, if Hiddink doesn't stay longer then the part time role he has.

This is the best thread I can find ahead of the WC Qualifiers, if there is a better one, please point it out to me.

Does the England match kick off at 4pm BST?

The predicted line-up is:

Green

Johnson - Upson - Terry © - Cole

Lampard - Barry

Walcott - Gerrard - Rooney

Crouch

If England line-up like this, I'd be delighted - I've been banging on for a formation like this for ages, with two CM's, Gerrard in his favourite position and two wide players.

England kick off at 4pm yes, also Croatia and Ukraine face each other later on this evening, if they draw and England don't slip up, which i doubt they will, it will be 8pts between 1st and 2nd with the Andorra game to come....

England play Kazakhstan and Croatia play Ukraine. As Spanglish said, the gap could be 8 pts before the Andorra game. This means that England could qualify for the World Cup with two wins, as there are only 3 games after this for England.

Btw' date=' where are people watching this? Im not lucky enough to have Setanta, but cant go to the pub.[/quote']

http://www.justin.tv/dragongator

Just found that, decent quality as well:)

edit: Well it was until the adverts finished :rolleyes::o

Awful start, nearly 1-0 down inside 20 seconds and the passing has been awful. Johnson is nowhere near good enough :/