Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

I never said the US were better than England and I admit England dominated the game in the second half but if you can't beat the US then you will struggle against the likes of Brazil and Spain who are better both offensively and defensively than America.

They won't make it out the group so I don't think you need to worry about facing Brazil. :D

I fell asleep in the second half but based on the first half as a neutral I think it was an even match. England obviously started better but after the goal the USA settled. It looked like a matter of time until the USA would score. England didn't cope very well with the aerial threat and couldn't dry up the supply of crosses. Gerrard played really well, not just because of the goal but his energy in defense was outstanding. I thought Heskey played quite well, apart from that shot in the second half. Tim Howard was immense and kept USA in it.

Overall, both teams had their moments but England looked like their chances were more clear cut. Howard being the difference.

I fell asleep in the second half but based on the first half as a neutral I think it was an even match. England obviously started better but after the goal the USA settled. It looked like a matter of time until the USA would score. England didn't cope very well with the aerial threat and couldn't dry up the supply of crosses. Gerrard played really well' date=' not just because of the goal but his energy in defense was outstanding. I thought Heskey played quite well, apart from that shot in the second half. Tim Howard was immense and kept USA in it.

Overall, both teams had their moments but England looked like their chances were more clear cut. Howard being the difference.[/quote']

What time are the games in Oz?

Lennon is utter rubbish' date='Gerrard have to cross all balls from Lennon's side....[/quote']

Were you watching the same game? Lennon was the only one who really created anything going forward. Heskey did his job well, but he proved once again that he can't finish and he was caught offside way too often. Rooney was poor, Gerrard was average. Lampard did well. Milner didn't do anything, although he didn't really have the time. We created plenty of chances going forward, but they were mostly half-chances and we weren't clinical enough.

All in all a draw is the fair result, and the performance was not good enough. It's not a disaster - far from it - but it was a poor performance and England's key problems have been highlighted all in that one game - unreliable 'keeper, slow centre-backs, too reliant upon Rooney. When the latter doesn't perform, we struggle to score. However this was the toughest game of the group, and a draw is good enough. Beat Slovenia and Algeria - and if we can't do that we don't even deserve to get to the knockouts - and we'll still qualify comfortable. We should win the group, although that does depend on how USA perform against those two. Of course they're not pushovers, but England should (should!) have more than enough to get past him. Hopefully the likes of Rooney and Gerrard were still getting in to the tournament and by the second game they should be hitting their best.

And I reiterate - Hart needs to play in goal, and Cole needs to play out wide. Hart is by far the most reliable of the three 'keepers, the most consistent. Joe Cole offers something different than raw pace down those wings - he offers skill, ability. He can take players on, he can pick out a quality pass, he can score goals. He's by far the best technical player we have out wide.

As for Gerrard/Lampard, I'm still unconvinced. It looked like Lampard was playing the defensive role - or maybe they were just playing one attack, the other sit back. I'm not sure, but we're better when they're both going forward. Barry in the centre of midfield, and either Gerrard alongside him, Cole and Lennon out wide, or Lampard alongside him and Gerrard out wide. It worked a charm in qualifying, and especially against Croatia - who are a step above Slovenia and Algeria.

My two cents. But if we play like that in the other two games, we'll struggle to get through, bad enough top the group. And play like that against someone of real quality - France or Germany for instance (who we could very well meet in the knockout stages), or even Serbia who have some real quality, and we will get punished. But hopefully it was just a case of being the first game, still bedding in to the tournament.

Guest JackWWFC

Did an English keeper make a total blunder?:eek: Never...:P

This game shows why England have no chance of winning the world cup. While the US are a good solid unit' date=' they don't really have any quality players and when England come up against a team with some real firepower things will get nasty for them.;)[/quote']

Yeah but we always qualify.

N.Ireland

R.O.Ireland

Scotland

Hmm, what do they have in common? Ohhh....No qualification. Shame :P:P

I never said the US were better than England and I admit England dominated the game in the second half but if you can't beat the US then you will struggle against the likes of Brazil and Spain who are better both offensively and defensively than America.

This is the pure and utter truth. There is better to come though - you don't often see the best performances in the team's first game. Hosts aside' date=' maybe.

Was only if you were watching in HD I think? :P

At least I got to see Joe Hart's mistake in slow motion :)

What did Hart do? Must've missed that watching Green lob the ball into his own net.

--

Another thing to add to my previous post - this game highlighted why we will miss Ferdinand. Most people have ignorantly claimed he won't be missed - how wrong that is. He's by far our best defender, and unlike the rest of our centre-halves, he actually has a bit of pace. People claiming King is better is laughable, crazy even. Ferdinand's a level above and if you can't see that, you've either not seen much of him or are just pure biased. And I don't particularly like him.

Edit to add ->

Can we please, please, stop the childish arguments about England vs Scotland/Wales/Ireland/Northern Ireland, glory supporting and whether or not someone has seen their club "live". Give it a bleeding break. One person on this thread in particular seemed to go out of his way to carry on such a pointless argument. This thread is to discuss the World Cup, leave the pathetic arguing for PMs. Ta.

Now the small games are out of the way we can now look forward to the big game:

Algeria V Slovenia

I'm pumped for Australia V Germany. Got my socceroos shirt, scarf, cap, socks, mug. Need to find a flag somewhere....

Get in there we didn't win!!!!!,I personally thought England were fantastic compared to recent games against Mexico and Japan but the USA defence held firm,now the general England fan which has been shown on here is just a bloody hypocrite and undermines the team in general,we had 3 clear cut chances with Lennon,Rooney and Heskey all should have scored and we had about 4 amazing last ditch blocks from the USA defence denying Lampard from scoring,and they also stopped two cutbacks which would have been tipped in from Cole and Lennon.

For all of us saying we should beat USA to win the world cup then I would look at the last couple of world cups,France couldn't beat Switerzland and Italy barely got past Australlia but both got to the final,I couldn't fault our performance tonight except the fact I think Lennon should have run at the full back more but felt he had a good game as well,and whats with everyone slagging of USA as also rans as well they did beat Spain and was 2-0 up against Brazil in the confediration cup final as well.

As for Green I have always said we had to play Hart as his just simply miles better than any of the other keepers,I think we will get to the final now though and it's nice to see all the hypocrites have slagged us off and will rejoin the bandwagon shortly.

Has anyone else noticed how ridiculously overwatered the pitches are? It's like playing on banana peels. Any aerial ball will bounce an extra 5 metres once it hits the ground. This resulted in a lot of breaks not going our way in front of goal, however, Howard did excellently when holding onto the ball tonight. We played far better in general play but as I said, we just didn't get any lucky breaks. There can be no excuses for Green's mistake, but I think we should stick with him as he will want to prove himself. I was very impressed with Gerrard, he played his heart out. A very wise man once said this:

As for the captaincy, I think that's another blessing. I think Gerrard should have been next in line to be captain after Terry anyway. We all know that he can be one of the most inspirational captains in the world on his day. Several occasions spring to mind-the FA Cup Final vs. West Ham, the Champions League final vs. AC Milan and more. He's the only player to have scored in the FA Cup Final, UEFA Cup Final, Champions League Final and the League Cup Final. He is a player for the big stage and that's what is needed in a World Cup. All you haters will be proven wrong soon

;)

I don't think it's too surprising that all of England's goalkeepers are quite dismal compared to the other top ten nations. I think England are the only side in the top ten not to have a goalkeeper that has ever played in Europe at club level, or certainly this season anyway, which is a little worrying because that doesn't look set to change for at least another season. I personally was massively dissapointed for Green because he was probably our besr player last season for West Ham, other than Scott Parker.

I do still think that Green is the best goalkeeper for England because James is far more error-prone than Green and Hart is just too inexperienced. With the latter, Capello has the opportunity to blood him into some friendlies during the 2012 qualification campaign because England only play 8 competitive matches, so there will be more opportunities for friendlies. However I fear Hart will not get much playing time next season as he will almost inevitably be an understudy to Shay Given.

On a different note, England were much improved from the two friendly matches against Mexico and Japan but were so poor in front of goal, wasting a fair few good chances and they really cannot do that after the group stages. I think whoever wins out of Algeria and Slovenia today, if either of them do win, has a great chance of coming second. Otherwise it plays nicely into USA's hands who don't have to play England in the group stages again.

EDIT: It's a pretty good job they didn't do the Capello Index otherwise the manager would be looking a little silly. I'd love to see what he'd give Robert Green though. :P

Would that be the same Spain that lost to the USA last year?

Would that be the same Spain that lost to the USA last year?

That's a little unfair as it's a year ago and also it's one game and I believe prior to that loss they were unbeaten in about 20 odd games or so

I think group D is very interesting with four very good sides. Who do you guys think will go through from there? I can see Germany winning the group but the runner's up position is very tough to call. It'll be either Serbia or Australia, I think.

This is the pure and utter truth. There is better to come though - you don't often see the best performances in the team's first game. Hosts aside' date=' maybe.[/quote']

But if you watched first match, you must have noticed that South-Africans were really nervous and had hard time in sticking to their tactics. I assume they'll be better in forthcoming games, especially as the good game and result must have boosted their confidence. I'm still quite positive that they'll advance from their group, but not with Mexico, they stink. France clearly will advance with South-Africa unless something really radical happens. But, you never know in these tournaments, one match can always fall to any direction. Same goes applies to England meeting Slovenia and Algeria. Though they're clearly the poorest teams of Europe and Africa, respectively, with their ultra-defensive strategies they can make some surprises, particularly if opponent fails to score the first goal.