• No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

The official FIFA All-Star team

----------------- Casillas -----------------

Maicon ------ Ramos ---- Puyol ------ Lahm

Schweinsteiger -- Sneijder -- Xavi -- Iniesta

----------- Forlan -------- Villa -----------

Why is Ramos at CB when he never actually played there? Pique is the more obvious choice at CB.

Other than that I think it is quite accurate. I'm sure Mueller and Ozil were quite close to being added too.

It seems as they didn't choose the players so that they fit in the formation. They only chose 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 forwards.

I put the players on a pitch by myself.

Why is Ramos at CB when he never actually played there? Pique is the more obvious choice at CB.

Other than that I think it is quite accurate. I'm sure Mueller and Ozil were quite close to being added too.

I think Puyol had a better World Cup than Pique' date=' personally. I had him down in my best XI.

Xavi shouldn't be in it.

Agreed. Muller should take his place. I also don't think Casillas should be there. Eduardo was my goalkeeper of the tournament. Other than that, they've got it more or less spot on.

who did then? the germans were the best not only counter attacking' date=' but in their general play also, for saying they had such inexperienced players, they linked up beutifully[/quote']

Spain, obviously. Didn't you see Germany-Spain? Spain showed huge superiority, all they lacked was finishing. Who said Spain wasn't pretty to watch but were clinical and efficient? Gosh, they were the best to watch but everything but clinical and efficient. That amount of ball possession on opponents half resulting that little chances and particularly so few goals is far from being efficient. Only 4 scorers too. but what a control of game!!! That was fantastic football, particularly against Germany, but in other matches too. In some blog somebody said Spain only knows to play football one way: attack. I wonder whether he watches the matches too, because one outstanding aspect of Spain's game was indisputably their defence, on which they built everything.

On Netherlands-Spain, there was really no question about which team was better. All the Dutch were able to do was kick and punch the Spanish. They were very lucky that the referee let the game slip from his hands very early on and should have had a 2 man disadvantage coming to second half. He apparently was not a ref for this level. Despite of outrageousness of letting Xabi Alonso being kicked in the chest (easily warranted a red card), the most ridiculous moment was Heitinga's first yellow. It was warranted, but the way it was given just doesn't exist in rules of football. Ref clearly saw the situation, didn't whistle. Spain kept the ball for a while, but when player (was it Villa, don't recall any more) stayed down they kicked the ball off the field to get him treated. At this point, ref went to see the guy and decided to give Heitinga a yellow! He can't do that, if he hasn't whistled a foul, then there's no yellow. The tackle warranted the yellow though, unlike Iniesta's dive that caused Heitinga's second warning and sending off. Van Bommel amazingly avoided being sent off, again. Did he play full minutes in this tournament? Not even a match ban for two yellows? How is that even possible.

Because England are blessed with a world class central midfielder in every team in the Premier League :rolleyes:

What I can say though is that it's highly unlikely he actually will get in because Gerrard, Lampard and Barry will lock it out as long as they remain relatively injury free and play to even 60% of their potential for their clubs (but we know they won't) and then there are younger and/or better players that have emerged of late such as Parker, Huddlestone, Rodwell, Carrick and Gosling.

Also, happy birthday Nelson Mandela! Even if a little late. :)

Because England are blessed with a world class central midfielder in every team in the Premier League :rolleyes:

What I can say though is that it's highly unlikely he actually will get in because Gerrard' date=' Lampard and Barry will lock it out as long as they remain relatively injury free and play to even 60% of their potential for their clubs (but we know they won't) and then there are younger and/or better players that have emerged of late such as Parker, Huddlestone, Rodwell, Carrick and Gosling.

Also, happy birthday Nelson Mandela! Even if a little late. :)[/quote']

actually CM is probably one of our strongest spots lol ! you can include Milner in that list to, no chance in hel Barton will ever play for england.

actually CM is probably one of our strongest spots lol ! you can include Milner in that list to' date=' no chance in hel Barton will ever play for england.[/quote']

I would have done but he usually plays as winger both for club and country.

And while it might be England's best position compared to others (such as goalkeeper, left back, right back and left midfield which are atrocious) after Gerrard, Lampard and Barry there's a gap in quality to the next best players in my opinion. Obviously you think otherwise which is perfectly OK. :)

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse for France

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3275/bundesliga/2010/07/20/2034347/france-duo-franck-ribery-karim-benzema-charged-with

Ribery and Benzema ratings come under pressure.

This case is pretty old news already. It is quite unlikely that they will be sanctioned, because mademoiselle Zahia herself said, when confessing this to police, that she lied about her age to footballers. In which case the latters have not committed a crime.

I don't see how that affects their ratings if they are not sent to jail (which I doubt very much). What puts their ratings under pressure is that they played very little during whole last season.

Guest Scout Maker

Yes' date=' agreed. For the national team yes, but he's around half way for the goalkeepers in the CCC and he'd get in one of the twenty premiership teams (Blackpool).

[/quote']

Wow, I've just seen this post after flicking through the England Vs Germany talk. Haflway in the CCC? You've got to be kidding me. He is the best GK, in the league, the only one who might come close to him is Kieran Westwood.

Plus, this is a 2007/2008 tribute he is so much better now. Watch if he leaves to Celtic and starts playing on the European Stage, he will finally get the recognition he deserves. Try and find me a fault of his.

So Sergio Romero is Halfway through the Championship standard aswell then? Seriously no one has seen him on a regular basis here, if it wasn't for him, we would have gone down, without the ten point deduction.

Ok maybe not one of the best in the Premier League, he just needs to prove himself on a big stage, that's if he leaves us I don't want him to go to QPR, I want him to go to Celtic and play in Europe because that's where he needs to prove himself.

• 2 months later...

It's quite obvious that BBC people only know about English football.

Ever read any of Phil Minshull's work?

I haven't. However' date=' was looking at James Horncastle's Twitter page (a great journalist), in which he tweeted, "Quite a shocking blog on the BBC about Prandelli LINK"

Anyway, don't ask how I got to this thread :P But came across this post anyway. Think this guy should stick to La Liga. Pretty much proves your point :P

• 2 weeks later...