Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Is it just me or is everyone else also disappointed with the WC so far' date=' i mean except Germany all the other 10 matches have not passed the 2 goal mark. 14 goals in 900 minutes of match time is terrible, 1 goal per hour average.

[b']Another thing is the poor performance of the African teams, for a continent that never hosted the WC you would recon African teams would be more enthusiastic and have an edge on everyone else... they actually seem joyless. Lets wait for their biggest contender tomorrow, Ivory Coast.[/b]

Im hoping it picks up the pace tomorrow with Brazil, but North-korea should be no walk over.

Bit harsh for me. South Africa had a slow start but played some really nice stuff second half and rally started to express themselves. Nigeria were up against one of the favourites and have their hands tied by a pretty desperate lack of creative midfield players. Algeria are pants, I'll give you that. Ghana were great, a really tricky opener and though they were handed the opportunity to win the game they were the better side and deserved it, especially when you consider they're missing Essien and Muntari isn't fit yet. And as for Cameroon, they're so ramshackle, badly organised and unpredictable that anything can happen. Le Guen isn't helping by playing Eto'o out wide though.

It's bizarre really' date=' if you take Capello's probable first choice XI (for arguments sake the US line up with Barry in for Milner), there are only really the centre halves, Lennon and Heskey who aren't pretty consistent passers of the ball. I can understand Terry and King/Carragher running out of ideas and knocking it long, but Johnson and Cole really should have more ambition from full back. Especially if we revert back to Barry and Lampard playing a bit deeper, there really should be an option there more often than not. It makes you wonder if it's just panic, or fear of making a mistake.[/quote']

As good as the likes of Lampard and Gerrard are I don't they have some of the quality that sides like Brazil and Spain are blessed with. I have thought for a while that players being brought through academys have always been brought up to be physically capable rather than good footballers. They are good passers but only Rooney has the creative spark that players like Iniesta, Xavi and Kaka can produce. If you seen the chip pass that Iniesta did in the match against Poland it was top class and I feel England do lack someone like that. This is the goal I am talking about:

As good as the likes of Lampard and Gerrard are I don't they have some of the quality that sides like Brazil and Spain are blessed with. I have thought for a while that players being brought through academys have always been brought up to be physically capable rather than good footballers. They are good passers but only Rooney has the creative spark that players like Iniesta' date=' Xavi and Kaka can produce. If you seen the chip pass that Iniesta did in the match against Poland it was top class and I feel England do lack someone like that. This is the goal I am talking about[/quote']

Oh for sure. England haven't produced a real technically gifted passer who's also blessed with ideas and guile for far too long. The youth system has been wrong in the past, with too much emphasis on making athletes passable footballers at the expense of gifted, but small youngsters. You would hope given the numerous times we've been schooled by superior sides simply keeping the ball off us while we fritter away possession that something clicked and the next generation will have better grounding, but you never know I suppose.

That said, the current crop are still talented enough to avoid having to hoof a ball up to a big man as often as we do.

Oh for sure. England haven't produced a real technically gifted passer who's also blessed with ideas and guile for far too long. The youth system has been wrong in the past' date=' with too much emphasis on making athletes passable footballers at the expense of gifted, but small youngsters. You would hope given the numerous times we've been schooled by superior sides simply keeping the ball off us while we fritter away possession that something clicked and the next generation will have better grounding, but you never know I suppose.

That said, the current crop are still talented enough to avoid having to hoof a ball up to a big man as often as we do.[/quote']

Of course our players are good enough to do more than the long ball up to the striker but its more about the English game rather than the ability of our players. The whole game is based around a big target man, set pieces and being stronger than the opposition and that is why I think its easy for them to do. Its all about 4-4-2 with a big man and little man upfront and it will take a while for the mentality to change in England. Its only really Arsenal who concentrate on finding the good footballers and they are too easily outmuscled by the opposition which will discourage people from trying it too.

Right I've been away for a while looking at some stats 'cos I'm a big nerd n'all that :P These are the scores from all the partnerships:

Rooney & Crouch: 10 goals (Rooney contributes 5 (1/2))

Rooney & Heskey: 9 goals (Rooney contributes 7 (7/9))

Rooney & Another: 13 goals

Crouch & Another: 16 goals

Heskey & Another: 5 goals

This tells us that Rooney does indeed work best next to Heskey but the more prolific partnership is him and Crouch. An interesting thing to note is the Crouch-Defoe partnership outscored all of them ;)

Right I've been away for a while looking at some stats 'cos I'm a big nerd n'all that :P These are the scores from all the partnerships:

This tells us that Rooney does indeed work best next to Heskey but the more prolific partnership is him and Crouch. An interesting thing to note is the Crouch-Defoe partnership outscored all of them ;)

The reason why people might go for Heskey is what you said about Rooney. He is our best player and most likely to make the difference. Who would you fancy against Spain/Germany/Holland/Brazil? Wayne Rooney or Jermaine Defoe/Peter Crouch?

Last thing, is the Crouch/Defoe stat for England or Tottenham?

The reason why people might go for Heskey is what you said about Rooney. He is our best player and most likely to make the difference. Who would you fancy against Spain/Germany/Holland/Brazil? Wayne Rooney or Jermaine Defoe/Peter Crouch?

Last thing' date=' is the Crouch/Defoe stat for England or Tottenham?[/quote']

If Rooney-Crouch scores more goals then surely it makes more sense to go for that. No point in making ourselves a one-man team. Rooney on his own also does well and his team play means I think we should go 451 in the latter stages. The Crouch-Defoe thing was more an aside but it is indeed more prolific for England :eek:

Quality of opposition and friendly/competitive games would be interesting to see.

The thing with Crouch is it's always going to be tough to tell until he plays against better teams with some regularity. It's noticeable that two different managers have shown a lack of faith in him for competitive fixtures though. Eriksson started with him in 2006 but ditched him as soon as we got out of the group and the quality of opposition got a bit tougher and Capello has favoured Heskey in nearly all the meaningful games up to this point.

While we're statting it up, only 1 of his 8 goals in the Prem this season came against top 8 opposition.

If Rooney-Crouch scores more goals then surely it makes more sense to go for that. No point in making ourselves a one-man team. Rooney on his own also does well and his team play means I think we should go 451 in the latter stages. The Crouch-Defoe thing was more an aside but it is indeed more prolific for England :eek:

I know it is a more prolific partnership but there have always been doubts over Crouch's record against the better sides. The goals scored with Rooney and Crouch could be halved if Crouch fails. We know Rooney can score against the best sides and that is why Heskey might get the nod. Rooney does score more goals in that partnership rather than the one with Crouch.

Quality of opposition and friendly/competitive games would be interesting to see.

The thing with Crouch is it's always going to be tough to tell until he plays against better teams with some regularity. It's noticeable that two different managers have shown a lack of faith in him for competitive fixtures though. Eriksson started with him in 2006 but ditched him as soon as we got out of the group and the quality of opposition got a bit tougher and Capello has favoured Heskey in nearly all the meaningful games up to this point.

While we're statting it up' date=' only 1 of his 8 goals in the Prem this season came against top 8 opposition.[/quote']

I might look into it tomorrow :) If you're looking at Crouch in the league then 2/3 of Heskey's league goals were against Burnley. The other against Sunderland. In the league cup he got goals against Pompey and Blackburn :o

I might look into it tomorrow :) If you're looking at Crouch in the league then 2/3 of Heskey's league goals were against Burnley. The other against Sunderland. In the league cup he got goals against Pompey and Blackburn :o

It isn't about Heskey's goals or lack of them. Crouch has not scored goals against the top sides at international level and only one against the top eight in the Premier League last season. His partnership with Rooney might produce more overall but less for Rooney. Can we rely on Crouch to get the goals if we get out of the group stage and start playing the real good teams? The point about Heskey is getting the best out of the player that will make the difference, Rooney, and I would always pick him for that. If Heskey starts then Rooney scores more goals and he is more likely to make the difference in the last 16 of a World Cup that Peter Crouch.

It isn't about Heskey's goals or lack of them. Crouch has not scored goals against the top sides at international level and only one against the top eight in the Premier League last season. His partnership with Rooney might produce more overall but less for Rooney. Can we rely on Crouch to get the goals if we get out of the group stage and start playing the real good teams? The point about Heskey is getting the best out of the player that will make the difference' date=' Rooney, and I would always pick him for that. If Heskey starts then Rooney scores more goals and he is more likely to make the difference in the last 16 of a World Cup that Peter Crouch.[/quote']

By all means relegate Crouch once we're out of the group. However Algeria and Slovenia are the kind of sides he does well against and he should start alongside Rooney for these games. After that I'd prefer Rooney on his own. Some may prefer him alongside Heskey. Similar end results so not really bothered provided Heskey actually does what he's supposed to. I'm still worried by the fact that when one of our 'first-choice' strikers ends up in a goal-scoring position they can't actually score.

By all means relegate Crouch once we're out of the group. However Algeria and Slovenia are the kind of sides he does well against and he should start alongside Rooney for these games. After that I'd prefer Rooney on his own. Some may prefer him alongside Heskey. Similar end results so not really bothered provided Heskey actually does what he's supposed to. I'm still worried by the fact that when one of our 'first-choice' strikers ends up in a goal-scoring position they can't actually score.

I do agree that Crouch could do some damage against those two sides. If we qualify then you have to be looking at getting your best players playing well. Rooney falls into that bracket and if it means Heskey playing alongside I would not be adverse to that. I also do not mind Gerrard playing behind him but I don't think Crouch has what it takes to make the difference in the latter stages. If you look at his goals they are against:

Uruguay, Hungary, Jamaica (3), Trinidad and Tobago, Greece (2), Andorra (2), Macedonia, Estonia, Austria, Croatia, Ukraine, Andorra, Belarus (2), Egypt and Mexico.

Hardly big guns in international football are they?

I do agree that Crouch could do some damage against those two sides. If we qualify then you have to be looking at getting your best players playing well. Rooney falls into that bracket and if it means Heskey playing alongside I would not be adverse to that. I also do not mind Gerrard playing behind him but I don't think Crouch has what it takes to make the difference in the latter stages. If you look at his goals they are against:

Uruguay' date=' Hungary, Jamaica (3), Trinidad and Tobago, Greece (2), Andorra (2), Macedonia, Estonia, Austria, Croatia, Ukraine, Andorra, Belarus (2), Egypt and Mexico.

Hardly big guns in international football are they?[/quote']

I think Gerrard playing just behind Rooney (like he does for Liverpool with Torres) would be the ideal formation for England. Four at the back with Barry and Lampard in CM and Joe Cole and Lennon on the wings. Gerrard playing just behind Rooney. And I think Hart deserves the place in goal. He has had a terrific season with Birmingham.

England lacked the creativity in the final third. Rooney hardly got to see the ball. Lennon was quite quick but then he accuracy was poor. They need to do a lot more than this to have any chance of progressing to the semis atleast. Anything less than that would be a complete failure.

I went and watched the Germany X Australia match the other day at a good German bar/restaurant here in NYC. Place was packed with Germans with a few Aussie's thrown in. Most of the people in there were not completely up to speed with the current affairs of German futbol and didn't really know many of the younger players (Marin' date=' Özil, Khedira, etc...). That said, most of them knew the tried-and-trued experienced German NT players (Klose, Podoli, Ballack, Scwein, etc...).[/quote']

Well, I think this is easy explained. Mainly since 2006 there appeared many so-called 'event-fans' who are watching the NT only at the big tournaments because the WC 2006 in Germany has been a real big party where even the non-soccer fans have been involved and liked it. So I don't wonder that they didn't know the newer players.

Anway' date=' I couldn't believe how racially over-toned the conversations got with many of the people in there. [/b'] They were completely dumbfounded with the current make-up of the team. And when Cacau scored it was as if somebody made a bet on how many times people could say derogatory german terms for "black" in a 10 minute span. It was out of control.

:( This is very sad. Very sad. It seems that you can find those German idiots even in NYC. :(

I myself have watched the game in a small pub in my little village (near Stuttgart) whose host is a Greek. One thing that made me smirk a bit: This host was out-and-out a Germany fan this evening.

And then the whole pub cheered loud when Cacau joined the match. And when he scored the cheers have even been louder and the Greek host payed for a round Ouzo.

Of course we all mainly have been Cacau fans as most of the pub visitors have been VfB fans. But nevertheless I think this is a positive story after Johnny C's very sad one.

Guest JackWWFC

As good as the likes of Lampard and Gerrard are I don't they have some of the quality that sides like Brazil and Spain are blessed with. I have thought for a while that players being brought through academys have always been brought up to be physically capable rather than good footballers. They are good passers but only Rooney has the creative spark that players like Iniesta' date=' Xavi and Kaka can produce. If you seen the chip pass that Iniesta did in the match against Poland it was top class and I feel England do lack someone like that. This is the goal I am talking about:

[YOUTUBE'][/YOUTUBE]

You can do all that fancy crep all you like, If I was playing I'd get physical with the fancy spanish greasy's and kick them all the way up the pitch, hoof it to crouch and get a cheap goal..

Play Dirty sometimes and you win

Is it just me or is everyone else also disappointed with the WC so far' date=' i mean except Germany all the other 10 matches have not passed the 2 goal mark. 14 goals in 900 minutes of match time is terrible, 1 goal per hour average.

Another thing is the poor performance of the African teams, for a continent that never hosted the WC you would recon African teams would be more enthusiastic and have an edge on everyone else... they actually seem joyless. Lets wait for their biggest contender tomorrow, Ivory Coast.

Im hoping it picks up the pace tomorrow with Brazil, but North-korea should be no walk over.[/quote']

Well I Have to agree that South Africa Were poor but can you blame them.?

They Rested 5 great players and also 1 was injured.

Well I Have to agree that South Africa Were poor but can you blame them.?

They Rested 5 great players and also 1 was injured.

Who are these 5 rested players out of interest? I only ask because predicted preferred the line-ups I saw pre-tournament were almost spot on. Only Khuboni and Masilela missed out, and Masilela made it on at half time.

I'm hoping big Sol Bamba will start (and play well) alongside Toure in the centre of the Ivory coast's defence as he is our only representative at the WC.:o I don't think Sven likes him though as he has been on the bench for the warm up games.:(

We also finally get to see Brazil today.:D Expecting a goal feast in that match as they really should beat North Korea quite easily.

Who are these 5 rested players out of interest? I only ask because predicted preferred the line-ups I saw pre-tournament were almost spot on. Only Khuboni and Masilela missed out' date=' and Masilela made it on at half time.[/quote']

Sibaya , Khuboni , Masilela ( on at half time ) , Booth ( he was recently dropped but i don't know why he's better than Khumalo ) , Bernard ( on at 1 point of the game) and is better than Mphela

Sibaya ' date=' Khuboni , Masilela ( on at half time ) , Booth ( he was recently dropped but i don't know why he's better than Khumalo ) , Bernard ( on at 1 point of the game) and is better than Mphela[/quote']

Cheers. I was quite surprised to see that Sibaya, Parker and Masilela weren't starters actually. Can see the logic in giving Mphela the nod because he's more of a focal point for a 1 up front system I suppose, but Parker looked really lively at the Confed Cup last year.

Cheers. I was quite surprised to see that Sibaya' date=' Parker and Masilela weren't starters actually. Can see the logic in giving Mphela the nod because he's more of a focal point for a 1 up front system I suppose, but Parker looked really lively at the Confed Cup last year.[/quote']

I'm Sure Mphela is getting picked before Parker is because is Height and is very Physical ( Spelling ).. Also Mphela Was Top Goal Scorer last season 2009/10

Bernard is a better finisher and faster.

i think some of these players were rested because of their next game to be honest , they will defend better if this is the case.

Before anyone bites my head off I'll like to make it clear I am NOT having a go at Germany.

Was reading something on their squad and the following players aren't fully German(if you get the gist)

Marko Marin - A Bosnian of Serb descent. Lived in Germany since the age of 2 though.

Podolski, Klose and Trochowski - All Poles.

Ozil and Tasci - Both Turks. Tasci rejected Turkey in '06 for Germany.

Jerome Boateng - Partly Ghanian.

Sami Khedira - Has a Tunisian mother.

Cacau - Brazillian.

Aogo - Nigerian. Rejected several Nigerian callups much to his father's annoyance.

Gomez - Spanish descent.

Portugal have 3 Brazillians in Liedson, Pepe and Deco