Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

True' date=' so Ivory Coast needs to win now. Please Stuart, correct the name of user I'm referring to in your quotation, I already corrected it in my original post but you were fast to reply to me.[/quote']

I edited it. The Ivory Coast don't need to win but it'd be very helpful. Neither team can afford to lose though. If it remains a draw then it could well go down to who puts the most past North Korea and concedes least against Brazil because Brazil may beat Portugal even if they have qualified.

We need Hugo Almeida up front' date=' to put some respect on that defense. These Ivorians have the best physical condition among ALL of the WC National Teams.[/quote']

why isnt moutinho coming on?

Cause the idiot Queiroz didn't take him to the final squad of Portugal.

Predictions for Brazil-Korea game? I'm thinking it's gonna be a free-scoring Brazil side so' date=' 3-0. Happy Days ! :D[/quote']

I predict a shock and I believe it'll be a draw, actually.

I know there's a good argument for not losing your first game and so being a little precautious, but I have to say in general most teams have perhaps been a tad over-cautious. We're already on course for a record low number of goals for a 32-team world cup to continue the downward trend:

WC 1998 - 171 goals, av 2.67 goals/game

WC 2002 - 161 goals, av 2.52 goals/game

WC 2006 - 147 goals, av 2.30 goals/game

By my reckoning we've now had 14 games with just 20 goals in this world cup :eek: (My maths could be wrong as I'm posting this between patients :)). If we keep going at that rate this world cup will result in:

WC 2010 - 92 goals, av 1.43 goals/game

Most of the sides have set out not to conced rather than going out actively to score and when you consider the later stages will inevitably be tighter, we have to hope for a change of emphasis soon (that was my best attempt to try and tempt fate into producing a goal fest and proving me wrong)

i believe it will be a Germany Vs Brazil Final Like 2002

But it will be Germany 2 - 0 Brazil , Ozil will 2 great goals then he gets subbed off on the 82nd minute and then later named Man Of The Match

I'm A Little Annoyed with Ozil Though he's becoming an excellent player and he's been linked with Arsenal More than any club and after the world cup i think he will end up at a bigger club than arsenal and i'd rather he went there.

I edited it. The Ivory Coast don't need to win but it'd be very helpful. Neither team can afford to lose though. If it remains a draw then it could well go down to who puts the most past North Korea and concedes least against Brazil because Brazil may beat Portugal even if they have qualified.

Thanks.

Ivory Coast really wasted the corner stupidly in the end. It's the perfect chance to score a last goal so that the opponent can no longer rebound from it. What did they do? First, Tiene wastes time lying on the pitch. He should have fought himself just to go sit on the sideline or something, just for those last 20 seconds. Then, they got a very short chance, they must have known there's no time left, but the referee wouldn't whistle it over if they have a scoring opportunity. So, the thing to do is to play the ball directly to the goal and hope that someone will poke it in. What did they do? A short corner followed by returning the ball to the player who gave the corner? Of course that results in final whistle and not in creating a scoring chance. Stupid play. These kind of plays are a big part of difference of success between African and European teams. I don't believe that any big European country would have done that. Particularly the teams that know how to win even when they're not better playing team, like Italy and particularly England, would have never wasted this opportunity. I do believe that these African countries have fantastic players, especially Ivory Coast does, but these situations explain why the less skilled teams eventually beat them.

Still, there were few encouraging things: 1. Drogba played, seemed fit; 2. Gervinho was awesome; 3. Good discipline, good defensing; 4. all-in-all good control of game. I still believe in Ivory Coast.

Had to go to college so missed the last three minutes of the New Zealand/Slovakia game. It was alright, the game was heading to a 1-0 finish anyway. Right? :rolleyes:

Such a shame I missed the first stoppage time equaliser/winner.

I also had to miss the Ivory Coast/Portugal game, but by the sounds of it it was the biggest disappointment so far. Managed to listen to the last 15 minutes or so on the radio on the way home, and it seemed (from listening at least) that it was the most exciting moments of the match. I caught the last few minutes of the after-match so saw the two (two!?) Portugal half-chances and the Drogba chance.

Hopefully the Brazil/North Korea match will be a goal-fest. Possibly the most one-sided match (on paper, obviously) of the tournament? The tournament favourites (well, along with Spain) and some of the greatest attacking players in the world against a bunch of players no-one has ever heard of.

Interesting thought - without checking the internet, does anyone know of any North Korea players? Be it someone you bought on SM or have just heard good things about/seen them play? I can't think of a single one. Do any of them play in a decent European league?

If Brazil don't win by at least three or four they should be very ashamed.

I think we have our first not-so-good referee of the finals :rolleyes:

Germany/Australia? A couple of horrible calls in that game.

The order of fixtures isn't in the Ivory Coast's favour. Brazil could field a weakened side against Portugal having already qualified top. All of them should beat North Korea but I wouldn't put it past Brazil to slip up. Crazier stuff has happened.

Not at all. Brazil will want to win the group and defeat to Portugal would see them top the group (providing they beat North Korea of course), so I can't see Brazil particularly resting any key players. And it's not in their mentality to paly for a draw, they'll be looking to win every game.

Had to go to college so missed the last three minutes of the New Zealand/Slovakia game. It was alright' date=' the game was heading to a 1-0 finish anyway. Right? :rolleyes:

Such a shame I missed the first stoppage time equaliser/winner.

I also had to miss the Ivory Coast/Portugal game, but by the sounds of it it was the biggest disappointment so far. Managed to listen to the last 15 minutes or so on the radio on the way home, and it seemed (from listening at least) that it was the most exciting moments of the match. I caught the last few minutes of the after-match so saw the two (two!?) Portugal half-chances and the Drogba chance.

Hopefully the Brazil/North Korea match will be a goal-fest. Possibly the most one-sided match (on paper, obviously) of the tournament? The tournament favourites (well, along with Spain) and some of the greatest attacking players in the world against a bunch of players no-one has ever heard of.

[u']Interesting thought - without checking the internet, does anyone know of any North Korea players? Be it someone you bought on SM or have just heard good things about/seen them play? I can't think of a single one. Do any of them play in a decent European league?[/u]

If Brazil don't win by at least three or four they should be very ashamed.

i think they have a very good goalkeeper who made brilliant saves to help them qualify

I know there's a good argument for not losing your first game and so being a little precautious' date=' but I have to say in general most teams have perhaps been a tad over-cautious. We're already on course for a record low number of goals for a 32-team world cup to continue the downward trend:

[b']WC 1998 - 171 goals, av 2.67 goals/game

WC 2002 - 161 goals, av 2.52 goals/game

WC 2006 - 147 goals, av 2.30 goals/game[/b]

By my reckoning we've now had 14 games with just 20 goals in this world cup :eek: (My maths could be wrong as I'm posting this between patients :)). If we keep going at that rate this world cup will result in:

WC 2010 - 92 goals, av 1.43 goals/game

Most of the sides have set out not to conced rather than going out actively to score and when you consider the later stages will inevitably be tighter, we have to hope for a change of emphasis soon (that was my best attempt to try and tempt fate into producing a goal fest and proving me wrong)

I know it sounds very unlikely, but a this goal dry, as we can call it, may come from Inter's play in CL, where they just waited out the opponents and then tried to counter-attack them. We've seen many games where they opponents are just waiting the other team out and then try to counter-attack them. It may not be the truth, but it may be a teory. When Barca for example won CL in 08/09, Arsenal sort of copied their playing-style by giving Fabregas a more offensive role at Arsenal, a kind of role Xavi was given by Pep for the 08/09 and which he adopted well too.

Right, I've just had a look, and all but three players from Korea DPR/North Korea ply their trade in the domestic league.

Of the three that don't, two play in Japan (Jong Tae-Se and Ahn Young-Hak), whilst the only player to play in Europe is Hong Yong-Jo - the captain - who plays for Rostov in Russia. I'm presuming he'll be their main threat.

http://soccerlens.com/north-korea-2010-world-cup-squad/44787/

Arguably the best team in the tournament against arguably the worst. On paper at least, which we all know actually counts for little. Nonetheless, I can't see past a one-sided whitewash in this game. Brazil to win 4-0/5-0.

What were they again? I thought it was very good refereeing. Ok, few more yellow cards could have been given to Australians, but hey, the referees are human too, they eventually start to feel that they are too one sided if they punish one side way more than the other, even if it was the right thing to do.

What were they again? I thought it was very good refereeing. Ok' date=' few more yellow cards could have been given to Australians, but hey, the referees are human too, they eventually start to feel that they are too one sided if they punish one side way more than the other, even if it was the right thing to do.[/quote']

The ridiculous sending off and a blatant handball?

Am I the only one who really enjoyed the Portugal-Cote d'Ivoire match?

There was some beautiful football being played there on both sides of the pitch; it wasn't at all a disappointment for me.

I only saw the second half and I liked the way Ivory Coast played. That goals weren't even close to happen obviously diminished the enjoyability.

The ridiculous sending off and a blatant handball?

What is the handball you talk about? I don't recall the situation right now. The red card was deserved, good refereeing there exactly. To be honest, I would have probably sent off at least one more Australian aside from Cahill.

What is the handball you talk about? I don't recall the situation right now. The red card was deserved' date=' good refereeing there exactly. To be honest, I would have probably sent off at least one more Australian aside from Cahill.[/quote']

Players raises both arms in front of his face with the ball hitting his wrists.

Red card was deserved? In what way, exactly? What rule did he break that was worthy of a red card?

Am I the only one who really enjoyed the Portugal-Cote d'Ivoire match?

There was some beautiful football being played there on both sides of the pitch; it wasn't at all a disappointment for me.

I'll second this. No goals does not equal automatically a boring match.

Also, someone stated that Korea would cause the upset and snatch a draw with Brazil. Well, that would be great. It would reiterate the feeling that this is the most competitive group in the WC.

Did... did Robinho just tackle Bastos?

Tbf, Korea DPR look better than I thought they would be. Mind you, I'm not sure what I was expecting. Sunday league level? Obviously not. However, I stand by my prediction of 3-0/4-0 (I think I may have made that on another board? Not sure).

You can tell the Brazilian players think it's going to be a stroll. They're doing little fancy flicks at every opportunity when there is better options available. That could just be their style mind, but I doubt it somehow.

Edit: That shot from Robinho, and maybe to a lesser extent, is an example of the "floater-like" ball. Robinho tried to bend it in, but it barely changed direction at all, and I don't think for a minute that's entirely down to Robinho getting it wrong. Why do they have to create a new bleeding ball for the WC? What's wrong with a normal football?