Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Great match! Best so far. Brazil surely deserved the victory, but 2-1 wasn't shameful for them either.

One note on Brazil's game: they attack really really slowly. How slow can you advance with the ball? Are they doing some kind of yoga practice there?

One note on Brazil's game: they attack really really slowly. How slow can you advance with the ball? Are they doing some kind of yoga practice there?

That's how Dunga sets out Brazil to play. He doesn't like his team to play with the 'Brazilian Flair'

First goal was very lucky' date=' second was well played.[/quote']

I'm not sure that the first would have been lucky, it might have been just clever. Maicon might have just realized that everybody expecting a cross there was a lot of space between GK and his goal and put it in. Of course, from that movement it would take a lot of skill, but I wouldn't swear that Maicon was unable to do that intentionally.

Great goal. I could sense that Korea could get a late goal' date=' and now I hope for a bit of injury time. :D[/quote']

Isn't it strange that we all seem to sympathize North Korea? I mean, North Korea isn't the most sympathetic country in world. But the team surely has deserved all the sympathy they get.

Which it should have caused. In my opinion the referee didn't give yellow there exactly because he had just sent of another Aussie. Ok' date=' I could agree that it was a border case, it could have been yellow as well. But it was not simply mis-timed, it was never going to go anywhere near the ball but was directly aimed to legs, and it was two footed from semi-behind. It is true though that he didn't kick Schweinie with his studs, so yeah, it wasn't that bad. A border case, but an acceptable red card. I give you that the referee was inconsistent when not giving a card on next quite similar tackle, but as I said, this is very human, it is because he had already given so many cards (and particularly that one red) to Australia, so there's a pressure to not give them cards in following situations. That is very normal, happens to pretty much every referee. It is not good refereeing but you can't call it particularly bad either, because it is relatively normal.[/quote']

It wasn't two-footed at all, technically it was no footed. He went in with his knees bent, and there was no way he could have injured him. It wasn't malicious in any way, it was more to the side than it was from behind. It wasn't even close to a red card offense.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

It wasn't two-footed at all' date=' technically it was no footed. He went in with his knees bent, and there was no way he could have injured him. It wasn't malicious in any way, it was more to the side than it was from behind. It wasn't even close to a red card offense.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.[/quote']

I agree. B)

Isn't it strange that we all seem to sympathize North Korea? I mean' date=' North Korea isn't the most sympathetic country in world. But the team surely has deserved all the sympathy they get.[/quote']

Maybe,I love an underdog, and I remember Saudi Arabia, who were totally unknown at that time, and they entertained me in 1994.

Besides, I live in a part of Boston which has one of the largest Brazilian populations in America, and so I'd love to poke some fun if I needed to. :D I guess with Brazil being favourites, or second favourites, I do love a little bit of Schadenfreude. :D

That game was played in wind chill of -5. That is colder than it can ever get in Brazil, and they did not look like they were enjoying it, as opposed to the Koreans who it seemed not to affect.

Is this the first WC played in a proper winter? I don't think that there has ever been a colder WC played.

Best game ive seen so far from the WC i think. Although the Germany game is'nt too far behind.

Brazil were struggling abit and like someone said i think its clear the weather got to them a bit, but they should have rise above it.

There were signs of class but i still thinks theres alot more to come, and as for N.Korea i was bloody impressed, i honestly thought Brazil would breaze that game but they stuck at their guns and finally got their reward, their goal was fully deserved.

As for Maicon MoM, i dont think so. Probably Robinho, although for some reasons i thought Juan had a good game? :S Anyway, i still think Maicon's goal was the best yet - Intentional or not. :P

Wasn't too impressed by the Brazilians tonight considering they are one of the favourites to win it, although to be fair, NK played very well especially in the first half and they deserved the goal that they scored.

I'm also glad New Zeland got a point against Slovakia who just seemed content to sit on their one goal lead and got what they deserved in the end imo.

Missed the second half, just catching the highlights now.

Cracking goal by Maicon, I think he intended that, why else would he hit it with the outsidde of his boot?

That goal is reminiscent of Roberto Carlos' "best ever goal" for Real Madrid a decade or so ago. Only, not as good.

Edit: Anyone watching MOTD? :D

They've done a spoof clip of what will be shown in Korea, using clips from today's match and then merging them with clips of a ref disallowing a goal, a clip of them scoring in 1966 and a few other things, to make it look like Korea DPR won 2-0. You have to see it to see what I mean.

Missed the second half' date=' just catching the highlights now.

Cracking goal by Maicon, I think he intended that, why else would he hit it with the outsidde of his boot?

That goal is reminiscent of Roberto Carlos' "best ever goal" for Real Madrid a decade or so ago. Only, not as good.[/quote']

I really think it was a smash across the box. Maybe as he was running fast and close the the line, he thought he had to get some spin on the ball instead of hitting it into the side netting :confused: Also, he was looking into the 6 yard area (ish) which makes me think it was a cross.

Still a great goal, mind.

Now Roberto Carlos... that's how its done:D

Also, Jimmy Greaves, what a bloke.

So, Dunga's non-samba football isn't what we are used to and I couldn't stop but to throw up garbage word at him during the game. I mean, he doesn't pick Dinho and Pato for instace to the squad. They haven't been tried at the national team for some years now and therefore, you cannot say they wouldn't work in the national team. Players like Kleberson (Had his peak in 2002-04) and Gilberto (shocklingy horrible at Spurs), hasn't been playing for Brazil for several years and haven't been tried at friendlies pre-10 and yet they are still in the national team, while Dinho and Pato never gets atleast a chance during the friendlies. We all know that Dunga prefers the WE over the lonely player, so don't come up with some BS saying that Dinho doesn't fit to Dunga's playing and that he can't work hard enough for the team. When I've seen Kaka play for example in Brazil and not just this game, he doesn't work very much and is only helping the team when they are attacking and not when they need to work defensively. Besides, Dinho isn't Mr. Samba anymore and is now mainly delivering more creativity play and great passes, and creativity is a thing this Brazilian team really needs.

Grafite is striker who got a chance for Brazil during this spring and he didn't impress this season at Wolfsburg. Pato impressed at the oldies and did really well has an hard-working winger at Milan this season. He ''licked'' the right-side of the pitch perfectly and also scored goals during both the big games and the smaller games. He puts out his heart when he plays and as I said before, Dunga prefers the WE over the lonely player. Pato perfectly fits that criteria. Don't say that Pato didn't make it beacuse he was injured most of the 2nd half of this season, beacuse he was A) Fit for the last games of this season and B) Kaka was injured aswell mosten parts of this season and still got a place in the national team. Grafite may not have a big ego perhaps, but he is really the striker Brazil needs??? I mean, he'll hardly get some playing-time and Pato would do perfectly as a bench option as a winger to Robinho, or as a lonely striker to Fabiano.

My point is, what has Dinho, Pato and perhaps for that matter, Diego done to not even get one chance at the national team?! And why didn't Dunga atleast have them as bench-options perhaps, beacuse this starting XI can do whatever they want at the field and they'll still be starting the next game (perhaps not the defence), beacuse they bench-options Brazil has, is for the mosten parts, just on another level, and in a bad way that is.

I know Brazil were not great but we all know they can do better. Kaka was not on form tonight and he is one of their key playmakers. That and North Korea getting men behind the ball and defending well made it hard for Brazil. I expect Ivory Coast and Portgual will be more attacking which will play into Brazil's hands really. On form they will win this group and Ivory Coast and Portgual will be fighting for second spot.

I am looking forward to Spain though. They have so much talent in their squad I can't see them not getting to the final. :o

My point is' date=' what has Dinho, Pato and perhaps for that matter, Diego done to not even get [b']one[/b] chance at the national team?! And why didn't Dunga atleast have them as bench-options perhaps, beacuse this starting XI can do whatever they want at the field and they'll still be starting the next game (perhaps not the defence), beacuse they bench-options Brazil has, is for the mosten parts, just on another level, and in a bad way that is.

In fairness Dunga picked Ronaldinho pretty consistently for around 3 years before he lost patience with his continually lacklustre displays and ditched him. Personally I'd have liked to see him included as a Plan B for Kaka, who looks short of a deputy at the moment, but he can't complain that he hasn't been given opportunities, he just failed to take them.

Pato's more complex, but I can see the logic there. There's the fact he's never really done it for Brazil (albeit in relatively restricted appearances) plus there's not a role in the team that really looks a natural fit for him. Again, he would have been an interesting Plan B to have available but I think it's telling that more of the clamour from Brazil was for Neymar or Ganso than Pato.

Edit: Diego was in the group for a while too in fairness, but again didn't really perform. Plus he's hardly knocking on the door to get back in after the season he's just come off. I'm not saying they're the correct decisions, or that I necessarily agree with them, but with most things Dunga's done it's easy to find the logic. And so far it's hard to criticise him given that they've won everything they've been asked to.