Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

If anyone thinks the lack of goals is due to the "field being even" is kidding themselves. Take yestedays game. North Korea were good but it took Brazil to play pretty poorly for most of the game for them to be still in the match. It's not just goals. The Dutch game despite being 2-0 was a very poor one strewn with poor passes but the 2nd halves of USA-Eng and Ita-Par were quite good despite the lack of goals.

The France-Uruguay game should go down as the worst one. Both sides absolutely rubbish. Would give me immense pleasure to see both of them get knocked out in the group stages.

Teams are being way too cautious. Take Ivory Coast yesterday. They had a very poor Portugal there for the taking but Sven made no real attacking changes and took a short corner when there were seconds left of the game.

I understand your point and I agree that he should have been picked as a replacement if Kaka won't perform/get's injured.

But for the bolded part: If that's the case' date=' then I don't know how players like Kleberson, Gilberto, Bastos and Grafite got a chance in the squad. I understand that Bastos was thoughted as a starter and he impressed, but why didn't Dinho get a chance aswell then to prove Dunga that he isn't the player that Dunga kicked out from the team. Kleberson, Gilberto and Grafite won't get a chance in this WC, so I don't see the point in picking them up for the squad. Brazil already has millions of fans around the planet, so I don't see the point in picking up three more players to the squad to provide support.

I know, but if Brazil get stucked in a game, they would need to do a drastic change and perhaps shock the opponents and using Pato as a wild card, could perhaps do the game. Brazil has no plan B really and Pato would be an awesome plan B to Elano/Ramires if Brazil are down under. In that way, the opponents don't really know what to do, beacuse they are prepared for an more defensive wide-player to be there, but instead they get an offensive player in Pato.[/quote']

I wish I could answer you on Kleberson and Gilberto, while I'll admit I've not seen them play recently both were shocking whenever I have seen them in the past. Knowing Dunga they're probably in for their attitude as much as ability, whether that's a good way to pick a squad is another matter.

I'd have probably picked both as well, or at the least certainly someone to fulfil those sort of roles. The lack of a plan B is, on paper, possibly the most worrying thing about this Brazil squad. Dunga's track record is 100% till now though, so I guess he's allowed a little bit of leverage for questionable decisions. At least until things go wrong. ;)

I wish I could answer you on Kleberson and Gilberto' date=' while I'll admit I've not seen them play recently both were shocking whenever I have seen them in the past. Knowing Dunga they're probably in for their attitude as much as ability, whether that's a good way to pick a squad is another matter.

I'd have probably picked both as well, or at the least certainly someone to fulfil those sort of roles. The lack of a plan B is, on paper, possibly the most worrying thing about this Brazil squad. Dunga's track record is 100% till now though, so I guess he's allowed a little bit of leverage for questionable decisions. At least until things go wrong. ;)[/quote']

100% it is but then you could argue of the 2 trophies he has won he only faced one world class side in Argentina. Of the bench Brazil have no one who can make an impact going forward. Nilmar is ok but lets face it he is no Pato or Ronaldinho.

I get the impression he really likes Baptista as a game changer as well, thanks to his performance in the Copa.

Personally I'd have Ronaldinho and Pato down as better players, for sure, but Dunga has worked with all four at close quarters and picked his men. Maybe they're better characters, maybe they fit the system better, but he's made his choice. If and when he fails he's left himself vulnerable to get a lot of flack for it, but then he hasn't failed up till now.

Teams are being way too cautious. Take Ivory Coast yesterday. They had a very poor Portugal there for the taking but Sven made no real attacking changes and took a short corner when there were seconds left of the game.

In what Ivory Coast was superior to Portugal?

Its not sure whether he will or not though' date=' Del Bosque was quoted as saying he has to think about the WC not just Switzerland when asked about Iniesta. He trained fine, but maybe the game is just a little soon? I think it would be wise to bench him and possibly play Navas on the right who will be a more than adequate replacement. Spain should and hopefully beat Switzerland comfortably anyway.[/quote']

Amen to these words!

Personally' date=' I kinda like the low-scoring nature of this WC. It is showing the field is much more even than in previous cups, and because of this goals will be special. Whats more fun to watch? Argentina beating a hapless Bosnia-Herezegovina 6-0, or Argentina playing an even match against Nigeria and barely winning 1-0. I'll go for the latter.

Also, was it just me or did anyone else find themselves rooting for North Korea today? Other than their valiant efforts on the field, I sympathized with the team when they showed their striker crying during the national anthem. We have all these negative feelings towards North Korea, and I think they showed a lot of people that they have somethig to prove. That brilliant goal they scored meant so much to them, and I hope, really hope, they can manage to at least get a tie against either Portugal or Ivory Coast.

EDIT: Also, why does Kaka suck? lol It seemed like every pass he attempted got picked off, and when he got into the final third one on one with a defender, it was blatantly obvious he lacks the creativity to go past a defender. IMO, a vastly over-rated player.[/quote']

Again, great shout!

If anyone thinks the lack of goals is due to the "field being even" is kidding themselves. Take yestedays game. North Korea were good but it took Brazil to play pretty poorly for most of the game for them to be still in the match. It's not just goals. The Dutch game despite being 2-0 was a very poor one strewn with poor passes but the 2nd halves of USA-Eng and Ita-Par were quite good despite the lack of goals.

The France-Uruguay game should go down as the worst one. Both sides absolutely rubbish. Would give me immense pleasure to see both of them get knocked out in the group stages.

And another great shout.

I kind of like this WC so far, but there's a lot of truth that it hasn't been too glittering so far. Lets wait and see what Chile/Spain have to offer :)

Haha.

Anyone watching ITV just then would have seen Marcel Desailly trying to urge Fabio to play Rooney with Gerrard just off him. Was amusing. :D

Looking forward to seeing Honduras here. I may have just jinxed the game however as which ever game I look forward to I am always bitterly disappointed.:o

Urgh stoopid averts. :(

I missed that Dai. I was on the xbox finishing a game of fifa when the coverage was starting' date=' i agree with Marcel Desailly though. :P[/quote']

I agree too. I just wish England had natural width on the lext so that Gerrard isn't even an option there. Wasted, although still awesome if he plays out there.

I agree too. I just wish England had natural width on the lext so that Gerrard isn't even an option there. Wasted' date=' although still awesome if he plays out there.[/quote']

Gerrard can play just about anywhere and play well, but prefer to see him either off the striker, or in the middle of the park, that's where he's better. What do you think of Lampard and Gerrard playing together?

Gerrard can play just about anywhere and play well' date=' but prefer to see him either off the striker, or in the middle of the park, that's where he's better. What do you think of Lampard and Gerrard playing together?[/quote']

I think it worked well the other night. If they talk constantly and decide which needs to cover when the other attacks then it would work very well. Against stronger opposition I would play Barry and Lampard though. Barry will hold no matter what which would allow Lampard to go forward, which would benefit England no end.

I think it worked well the other night. If they talk constantly and decide which needs to cover when the other attacks then it would work very well. Against stronger opposition I would play Barry and Lampard though. Barry will hold no matter what which would allow Lampard to go forward' date=' which would benefit England no end.[/quote']

True. So what, you'd like to see Gerrard on the left, with Barry and Lampard in the middle, and then Lennon on the right? In all honesty I'd like to see this line up:

Hart

Johnson Upson Terry Cole

SWP/Lennon Lampard Barry Milner/Lennon/SWP

Gerrard......

....Rooney

True. So what' date=' you'd like to see Gerrard on the left, with Barry and Lampard in the middle, and then Lennon on the right? In all honesty I'd like to see this line up:

[center']Hart

Johnson Upson Terry Cole

Gerrard......

....Rooney[/center]

Hart

Johnson - Upson - Terry - Cole

Lennon - Lampard - Barry (Milner) - Cole

Gerrard

Rooney

Wasn't listening properly, but did Capello say he will change the 'keeper? I also heard something about two changes, but then he said the 'keeper, defender and maybe the striker, so I have no idea.

If so, I reckon the line-up will be:

James

Johnson - Upson - Terry - Cole

Lennon - Lampard - Barry - Gerrard

Heskey - Rooney

He doesn't seem to want to play Hart, or Joe Cole for that matter. Whilst it's clear that he is a big fan of Milner (he even played him when he was nowhere near fully fit), I think he'll revert to that team that did so well in qualifying, with Lennon out wide instead of Walcott of course.

Either way, it's win or bust for England in terms of winning the group. If we don't win, we need to win against Slovenia to have a chance of going through, and we would probably fail to win the group. However we win (and we really should), and we only need a draw against Slovenia to qualify, a win to top the group.

Friday will be a very big game. And if England play like they did on Saturday, we could be facing some huge problems.

True. So what' date=' you'd like to see Gerrard on the left, with Barry and Lampard in the middle, and then Lennon on the right? In all honesty I'd like to see this line up:

[center']Hart

Johnson Upson Terry Cole

Gerrard......

....Rooney[/center]

Upson will play LCB and Terry will play RCB... Upson is left footed.

Friday will be a very big game. And if England play like they did on Saturday' date=' we could be facing some huge problems.[/quote']

A draw against the USA is not a good result but the performance was not all that bad. England had enough good chances to win 4-1 or so and because of Rob Green's slip up the USA snatched a point. Algeria are quite weak upfront and I don't see them posing much of a threat. Carragher and Terry should be able to deal with them.

I can see this coming back to haunt me now. Watch them run our centre backs ragged.

How was that not a free-kick? It wasn't even 50/50, Figueroa went flying past Sanchez, completely missed the point and completely took him out. A yellow card offense, not even a free-kick.

Now he's booked Palacios for absolutely no reason..?

Weird.

Also, anyone know why David Pizarro isn't in the Chile squad? Injured or just not good enough?

Edit: Good goal, that.

Actually, on second view, very lucky. The defender knocked it on to Bousejour who knew little about it. Still, nice work from Sanchez (I think it was him?).

Edit2: Wow, they messed up the replay there. Showed them rewinding it back from the goal to the build-up play, never seen that before.

Actually just realised it's ITV, no shock there then really.

I was looking forward to watching Chile today, because they have some good players, and especially Alexis Sanchez who I've never seen before, he looks like a pretty good player tbh. Reminds me a little of Ronaldo how he runs with the ball. He looks fairly good.

1-0 Chile btw. :)