Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Guest Raines

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Another thing, how can you label me as one of the

"boring World Cup" brigade.

from one post that I make? Have I called the whole world cup boring? No. Have I even said anything about another game being boring? No. :confused:

1. No' date=' I'm not saying the whole world cup is boring I'm saying this game was boring, which I'm perfectly entitled to do as I don't watch no where near as many full football games as I would like to seeing as I don't have any sports channels. Of course people are going to say it was a boring game after Switzerland defended for 80-90% of the game.

2. What I'm expecting is teams like Spain to win. That's not expecting too much considering their win at euro 2008.[/quote']

You know what, forget it. Yes, if only every game ended 5-0 to the team who is expected to win. If only every match ended as you'd predict on paper. Wouldn't everything just be so enjoyable to watch?

I personally would consider it much more boring if a game went as expected than a shock result. You're incredibly naïve if you thought Switzerland were going to go out and let Spain roll over them.

People need to quit moaning at every opportunity and just enjoy the World Cup fcs.

Guest Raines

You know what' date=' forget it. Yes, if only every game ended 5-0 to the team who is expected to win. If only every match ended as you'd predict on paper. Would everything just be so enjoyable to watch?

I personally would consider it much more boring if a game went as expected than a shock result.[/quote']

I don't expect every result to go to the obvious way nor do I want it to. If England come up against Spain, Brazil or Argentina do you think I want England to lose as expected? Also, I enjoyed the Brazil vs Korea game and would have prefered it if Brazil were only one nil up before Korea's goal giving them an unexpected but deserved point.

"You're incredibly naïve if you thought Switzerland were going to go out and let Spain roll over them"

Well I didn't and I don't know why you're making all these assumptions about me when you don't know me at all.

I don't expect every result to go to the obvious way nor do I want it to. If England come up against Spain' date=' Brazil or Argentina do you think I want England to lose as expected? Also, I enjoyed the Brazil vs Korea game and would have prefered it if Brazil were only one nil up before Korea's goal giving them an unexpected but deserved point.

"You're incredibly naïve if you thought Switzerland were going to go out and let Spain roll over them"

Well I didn't and I don't know why you're making all these assumptions about me when you don't know me at all.[/quote']

Of course people are going to say it was a boring game after Switzerland defended for 80-90% of the game.

2. What I'm expecting is teams like Spain to win. That's not expecting too much considering their win at euro 2008.

You didn't think Switzerland were going to be defending for 80-90% of the game? What the hell else were they going to do against some of the most gifted players in the world?

Christ' date=' if you find a shock like the one we just witnessed "boring", whereas an expected Spain win, would not be "boring", god knows why you're watching this.

nope i have seen other previous posts too

What?

Guest Raines

Oh' date=' and good luck to South Africa for this evening – I’m already looking forward to screaming “Shabalalalalalala!”, every time he touches the ball! :D[/quote']

His goal seems to get better every time I see it. Not bad for a player only rated 82 by SM eh? Does anyone else think he looks a bit like Darren Bent or is it just me? :P

Would anybody like to write off Spain for me? After all are 2nd in the FIFA World Rankings and they drew lost to a side 22 places below them in the table when England (8th) drew with a side in 14th.

Not serious about this but I notice nobody is writing off their chances after a worse result than England. :P

Would anybody like to write off Spain for me? After all are 2nd in the FIFA World Rankings and they drew lost to a side 22 places below them in the table when England (8th) drew with a side in 14th.

Not serious about this but I notice nobody is writing off their chances after a worse result than England. :P

That's cause England has the most fairweather fan-base.

His goal seems to get better every time I see it. Not bad for a player only rated 82 by SM eh? Does anyone else think he looks a bit like Darren Bent or is it just me? :P

it's because what club he is at..

if he was at like a team at everton he would be 88/89 by now same goes to half of the south african team that i rate highly since 1st seeing them play years and years ago.

Hi guys! Been away for a bit for various reasons but I just thought I’d poke my head in and give the World Cup a bit of love' date=' considering how much flak it has been getting so far. Today has been the first day that I’ve managed to sit down and watch a full day’s worth of football due to work constraints, and I am ever so pleased that this day has fallen into my path as I have thoroughly enjoyed the two games that have been shown thus far. I was extremely impressed with the performance of Chile who played with such vibrancy going forward and, in truth, they were rather unfortunate not to win by a bigger margin. A 1-0 scoreline didn’t particularly do their performance justice.

Which leads me to the Spain v Switzerland game, and I’d like to tie in my review of this excellent game with my take of the general perception that a lot of people seem to be having with this year’s World Cup. While it is true that attacking verve and a gluttony of goals is what everyone wants to see when they watch a game of football, occasionally that view is far too linear. I think it’s important for people to appreciate that this beautiful game that we all know and love is much deeper than a purist’s wish to see tremendous levels of invention and creativity in the final third of a football pitch. Spain, are in my view, the best footballing nation in the world, and remain favourites to lift the trophy next month despite today’s loss. They possess in their ranks the one man on the planet who can purely be described as football’s answer to history’s great composers – your Bach’s Beethoven’s and Mozart’s. I use that analogy due to the fact that Xavi is exactly that – the composer. Everything runs through this guy, whether he is wearing the red and blue of Barcelona, or the red and yellow of Spain, and his tremendous range of passing and control of the football whilst under pressure is like no other. And he is just one man among 23 world-class players that make up the Spanish squad, which, for me, is by far the most talented squad at this World Cup. I have no doubt that had Switzerland come out this afternoon with the game plan of playing Spain at their own game, they would have been totally destroyed. The Swiss game plan was nothing more than superb, and the execution of that game plan was even better. Yes, Switzerland were negative. Yes, they kicked Iniesta and co. right into touch for pretty much 90 minutes. Yes, their style was rather, for use of a widely-bandied about term, ugly. But this is the only way that appears obvious to beat Spain, and the end result is testament to this. I already foresee plenty of negative reactions to the way Switzerland approached this game, much the same way that Inter Milan approached their UEFA Champions League tie against Barcelona, but you simply have to appreciate superb preparation, tactics and production of those tactics when you see them. This is beautiful football, in the truest sense of the word.

As for the game, I found it tremendously enjoyable, particularly the second half, and I found the story that the game told equally terrific. Watching Spain stick to their mantra of passing through the opposition is such a delight to watch as every neat touch, first-time pass and clever twists and turns are exactly what I like to see from a football match. Breaking Switzerland down proved to be extremely difficult for the European Champions and their final delivery once in the final third of the pitch was often found wanting. Credit must be given to the Swiss for such an excellent display of defending throughout the game, and even when Spain were granted the slightest chance of scoring a goal, the Swiss defenders made is difficult for their opponents. The goal itself was rather scrappy in the way it went in, but the move which led up to the goal was excellent. Then and the following superb run by Eren Derdiyok highlighted a possible weakness in the Spain quarters, as defensive frailties seemed apparent to me – Gerard Pique is such an excellent player in several ways, but he certainly has aspects of his defensive game that he needs to work on. Following the game, and especially after the introductions of Fernando Torres and the sublime Jesus Navas, Spain’s tempo and urgency increased, and it made for an engrossing end to the game. Xabi Alonso’s outstanding shot which cannoned against the bar was perhaps deserving of a better end result, such was the quality of the technique in making the shot. But it was not to be, and I have to say, I think Switzerland deserved to win. I’m rather intrigued to see this group pan out from here on in, as I can easily see the three teams of Chile, Switzerland and Spain finishing on six points each, but I’ll probably be way, way off!

Anyway, I just wanted to poke my head in while I had the chance and big up the World Cup. Some of the games have been rather disappointing, but if you change your approach to watching a game of football, you may just feel rewarded. At the end of the day, we are getting three games of football every day right now, and I for one absolutely love it!

[b']Oh, and good luck to South Africa for this evening – I’m already looking forward to screaming “Shabalalalalalala!”, every time he touches the ball! [/b]:D

I will be joining you in this doing. :)

Anyone here remember the Confederation's Cup when Matthew Booth touched the ball?

'BOOOOOOOTH'! :D

Boooooth hahah

shame he's dropped due to form he is a class 6 ft 6 player :)

lets see what the manager changes for south africa tonight because remember they rest 4 players and 1 injured during last match against mexico..:D

Anyone else rather enjoying what South Africa's vocal talents have to offer? :D

Vuvuzela/Waving Flag/Other? :D

Love the World Cup Song' date=' aside from the little bit that Coca Cola so blatantly put in. Oh-Aw-Oh-Aw-Oh...

[center']

[/center]

Vuvuzela/Waving Flag/Other? :D

Love the World Cup Song' date=' aside from the little bit that Coca Cola so blatantly put in. Oh-Aw-Oh-Aw-Oh...

[center']

[/center]

Hell no!

The clips that BBC and ITV so Kindley show us? :D

Also, ITV mentioned that a local bloke with importance who spoke out against the building of the Staidum where Chile played actually got murdered B) Surprised there's less media coverage on this part of the WC.

Guest Raines

I don't really mind the Vuvuzelas, not something I want in the premiership every week but we should respect that it is a tradition in South Africa. I heard some thing on the news people saying that they are too noisy, just play louder them then in that case! :D

The Vuvuzelas are going to work against the South Africans in this match. I am all for the home field advantage that the South Africans should get, but I think the vuvuzelas are going to drown out any cheering/support that the SA squad could get.

Because of that I am looking for Uruguay to rout SA !

Interestingly, the Uruguayans are favored but not by much...

SA : 3.10

Draw : 2.95

Uru : 2.40

And yes I have my money where my mouth is for this match. I think the spread should be much greater.

I think the vuvuzelas are going to drown out any cheering/support that the SA squad could get.

Personally I think the South African team takes as much heart from the Vuvuzelas as any fan chanting could give them. ;)

Come on South Africa!! :D

I just love everything about them, their team is like a family, their spirit is amazing and their passion! :D

I think this could be quite a good game, I'm looking forward to seeing Cavani as I've not seen him play before.