Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Vlad

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Discussions Thread

Horrible call.

Clearly an accident' date=' the penalty was punishment enough. No need to send him off.

Absolutly rediculous. Not necessarily a flaw in the refereeing, but a flaw in football rules altogether.[/quote']

The referee had to send him off, he had no choice even if it was accidental. Kewell denied a clear goal scoring chance, so he had to be sent off.

Plus, I really don't see if it's accidental. He moves his arm to the ball and the ball hits his arm. Not accidental to me.

The referee had to send him off' date=' he had no choice even if it was accidental. Kewell denied a clear goal scoring chance, so he had to be sent off.

Plus, I really don't see if it's accidental. He moves his arm to the ball and the ball hits his arm. Not accidental to me.[/quote']

That was more an attempt to chest the ball. He didn't have time to move his arm towards the ball.

Besides, the goal is punishment enough. No need to COMPLETELY kill Australia's game. It's the rules I disagree with. Stupid, stupid rule.

Its safe to say the world cup has come alive now the 1st games are out of the way.

Sure has - every second team game has been amazing :) Well.. bar England vs Algeria but im ashamed to talk about them at the moment, oh and Honduras vs Chile wasnt the most exciting either. :P

That was more an attempt to chest the ball. He didn't have time to move his arm towards the ball.

Besides' date=' the goal is punishment enough. No need to COMPLETELY kill Australia's game. It's the rules I disagree with. Stupid, stupid rule.[/quote']

But it's not neccesarily a goal, had Gyan missed it then it wouldn't be enough punishment.

He should have kept his arms to the sides instead of sticking it out.

Jeez' date=' it's not like it was a corner and he was already on the goalline. He was still moving, making his way to the goalline. And that was a hard shot. There is NO way that that play is enough to warrant him missing this game and the next, and handicapping Australia for the rest of the game. NO way.

But it's not neccesarily a goal, had Gyan missed it then it wouldn't be enough punishment.

Had Gyan missed it, he only would've had himself to blame.

Besides' date=' the goal is punishment enough. No need to COMPLETELY kill Australia's game. It's the rules I disagree with. Stupid, stupid rule.[/quote']

See it the other way round. If Ghana don't score the goal, there was basically no punishment for denying a sure goal.

Jeez' date=' it's not like it was a corner and he was already on the goalline. He was still moving, making his way to the goalline. And that was a hard shot. There is NO way that that play is enough to warrant him missing this game and the next, and handicapping Australia for the rest of the game. NO way.[/quote']

I didn't say he was on the goal line throughout the situation. But my point is, Kewell should have known better. He went to the goal line and when he tried to block the shot, he should have put his arms to the side. That's the wise thing to do.

Jeez' date=' it's not like it was a corner and he was already on the goalline. He was still moving, making his way to the goalline. And that was a hard shot. There is NO way that that play is enough to warrant him missing this game and the next, and handicapping Australia for the rest of the game. NO way.[/quote']

Rules are rules, had he not given that decision then he'd been slaughtered.

Breaking News (I think): Anelka's been sent home by Domenech.

Guest Raines

Horrible call.

Clearly an accident' date=' the penalty was punishment enough. No need to send him off.

Absolutly rediculous. Not necessarily a flaw in the refereeing, [u']but a flaw in football rules altogether[/u].

Is it? A player can be red carded for fouling another player when he's through on goal if he's the last man. In that situation the player isn't guaranteed to score, but the situation today the ball obviously would have gone in.