Shay Given To Man City.

Vlad

Shay Given has finally made his protracted move to Manchester City, with the Ireland international signing a four-and-a-half-year deal and unceremoniously, ending an eleven year stint with Newcastle United.

The fee was undisclosed, and it is thought to be anywhere between £5 and £10 million.

Re: Shay Given To Man City.

Why would City want Given when they have got a great young goalkeeper in Joe Hart. Shame City only got the 5-10 Million from Given now. Had the transfer been earlier Kinnear would of had more money to spend.

ye wel hart is young and talented and given is older and talented. i think these two will 'share' the number one spot and given will act as a mentor to hart. btw i just say it has been confirmed on goal.

ye wel hart is young and talented and given is older and talented. i think these two will 'share' the number one spot and given will act as a mentor to hart. btw i just say it has been confirmed on goal.

I doubt they will 'share' the spot. Given wouldn't have joined unless he was assured of a starting spot. That's it for Hart I guess. How demoralising can it get when you are making no mistakes and doing quite a good job to see a new Goalkeeper signed for 10 million

I doubt they will 'share' the spot. Given wouldn't have joined unless he was assured of a starting spot. That's it for Hart I guess. How demoralising can it get when you are making no mistakes and doing quite a good job to see a new Goalkeeper signed for 10 million

ye ans especially for someone so young. real killer. my friend who supports man city said thats the only spot they really don't need to focus on strengthening. not that theyre short of cash but they need to buy defenders.

Thats it for City spending this January. The owners didnt want to go over 100million on transfer fees/wages in January. However they did say they would blow the budget for someone such as Kaka. Now with Blackburn wanting around 20 million for Santa Cruz and still refusing to let go, and with City just cashing in on Given, it looks like Man City have been outpriced for Santa Cruz. B)

P.S: (The owners seem a bit uptight. Not wanting to spend over 100 Million in January?? Hehe.)

Oh yeah my source was The Mail Football ON SUNDAY (:

"BUDGET BOSSES MAY NOT STRETCH TO SANTA CRUZ"

^^^

omg. tight much when you have over 800billion. Wow only 100mil thats tiny. I was expecting a mad spending spree that gets city to look like a title pretender instead of a title hoper.

I know right.. They have billions of money to spend, but wont go over 100 million in the january transfer market. Maybe they're worried about the credit crunch LOL:rolleyes:

Stupid deal. Very cheap, considering Given's ability and Man City's budget. There goes England's best hope.

Man City are not only ruining the game, but also England's future...

And the owners have stated that Given will be No.1 for the next few years, Hart is NFS, and will play cover.

Way to waste a keeper...

And wth is Given thinking? All my respect for him is gone.. he's only gone for the money... He's stayed so loyal to Newcastle and then leaves for a team that are even smaller...

Stupid deal. Very cheap' date=' considering Given's ability and Man City's budget. There goes England's best hope.

Man City are not only ruining the game, but also England's future...

And the owners have stated that Given will be No.1 for the next few years, Hart is NFS, and will play cover.

Way to waste a keeper...

And wth is Given thinking? All my respect for him is gone.. he's only gone for the money... He's stayed so loyal to Newcastle and then leaves for a team that are even smaller...[/quote']

I agree. If Hart doesn't leave in the next window I fear for his future. What City need is a defence because it's there where the mistakes are happening. Not Hart's fault City have conceded so many goals. In fact I'd say Hart is the reason why City have not conceded more goals.

Also he's first choice for my Boca. :(

Dont see why we have signed Shay Given.

In my opinion, he is better than Joe Hart. But, Joe Hart is 21 and in my view looks a very good prospect and could be a great goalkeeper. Given is 32 and ageing. Hart isnt going to want to sit on the bench, and neither will Given. I think Hart needs to be playing all the time if he is to become a very, very good goalkeeper. I suppose Hart could learn from Given, but he still wont want to be on the bench.

But, if the deal was worth £6 million then I think it was sort of a bargain for a goalkeeper of Given's quality because I think Given is a great goalkeeper.

^^^

omg. tight much when you have over 800billion. Wow only 100mil thats tiny. I was expecting a mad spending spree that gets city to look like a title pretender instead of a title hoper.

I expect they will do there real spending spree at the end of the season, reading for the 2009/10 season.

The transfer window was just a taster. ;)

What City need is a defence because it's there where the mistakes are happening. Not Hart's fault City have conceded so many goals. In fact I'd say Hart is the reason why City have not conceded more goals.

for a start they could have got a keeper who can organize a defence, and shay given isnt that

Why would City want Given when they have got a great young goalkeeper in Joe Hart. Shame City only got the 5-10 Million from Given now. Had the transfer been earlier Kinnear would of had more money to spend.

Are you having a laugh??? Given is one of the world's best keepers! Hart is nowhere near that standard..

Are you serious?? Name 5 keepers better than him?

edwin van der sar

gigi buffon

iker casillas

brad friedel

mark schwarzer

petr cech

julio cesar

pepe reina

rogerio ceni

igor akinfeev

jussi jaaskelainen

sebastien frey

gregory coupet

there's 13 keepers, and thats just off the top of my head in 2 minutes

edwin van der sar

gigi buffon

iker casillas

brad friedel

mark schwarzer

petr cech

julio cesar

pepe reina

rogerio ceni

igor akinfeev

jussi jaaskelainen

sebastien frey

gregory coupet

there's 13 keepers' date=' and thats just off the top of my head in 2 minutes[/quote']

No you've named 13 keepers.... their are only 2 on this list better and that's the top 2 in that list,Coupet has been **** since moving to Madrid Ath,and lost his place,Schwarzer,Cech,Akineev, are very funny I must say..:D :D

No you've named 13 keepers their are only 2 on this list better and that's the top 2 in that list' date='Coupet has been **** since moving to Madrid Ath,and lost his place,Schwarzer,Cech,Akineev, are very funny I must say..:D :D[/quote']

coupet's been injured in madrid, hence him not playing i believe

akinfeev - one of the top keepers around atm, doesnt get respect as he plays in russia

cech - despite his form being below what it was pre-injury, cech is still the superior keeper, especially in the area of organizing a defence, which is an area where given is woeful

schwarzer - compare the defences he's played in front of with given - is schwarzer's defences that much better than givens? again, organization

and how the hell is given better than casillas??? thats got to be one of the craziest things i've ever seen on these boards - i know you want to stick up for your countryman, but still! given hasnt done anything to put himself in the class of casillas, never mind the reina's, cesar's, frey's etc or even the jaaskelainens or the friedels of the world

and of course, seeing as given was available why did no top team come after him? man united need a keeper 4 years ago, why did they go for van der sar over a younger given- cant have been all about money and if given was that good they would have bought him instead of VDS, come to think of it even if they thought VDS was slightly better than him they'd have gone with given as he would have had more shelf-life. i'm pretty sure newcastle would have sold him to arsenal even if arsenal had offered less (and given could have forced there hand), but the only club after him were the ones with more money than sense

coupet's been injured in madrid' date=' hence him not playing i believe

akinfeev - one of the top keepers around atm, doesnt get respect as he plays in russia

cech - despite his form being below what it was pre-injury, cech is still the superior keeper, especially in the area of organizing a defence, which is an area where given is woeful

schwarzer - compare the defences he's played in front of with given - is schwarzer's defences that much better than givens? again, organization

and how the hell is given better than casillas??? thats got to be one of the craziest things i've ever seen on these boards - i know you want to stick up for your countryman, but still! given hasnt done anything to put himself in the class of casillas, never mind the reina's, cesar's, frey's etc or even the jaaskelainens or the friedels of the world

and of course, seeing as given was available why did no top team come after him? man united need a keeper 4 years ago, why did they go for van der sar over a younger given- cant have been all about money and if given was that good they would have bought him instead of VDS, come to think of it even if they thought VDS was slightly better than him they'd have gone with given as he would have had more shelf-life. i'm pretty sure newcastle would have sold him to arsenal even if arsenal had offered less (and given could have forced there hand), but the only club after him were the ones with more money than sense[/quote']

I never said Given was better than Casillas,I didn't see Van Der Saar there.. I've seen Given live an awful lot plus I'm a Chelsea fan and since Cech's Injury and especially this season he has being woeful,nowhere near the top keeper in the league now..

I never said Given was better than Casillas' date='I didn't see Van Der Saar there..[/quote']

you did say the first two on the list, but seeing as you didnt see van der sar i'll let it slide ;)

I've seen Given live an awful lot plus I'm a Chelsea fan and since Cech's Injury and especially this season he has being woeful' date='nowhere near the top keeper in the league now..[/quote']

there is no doubt that cech has regressed since his injury and is on a good day the 3rd best keeper in the league now, however he's still superior to given