The rise and fall of Portsmouth FC

pompeyboy

Today is a sad day for me and many Portsmouth fans, I feel we hav finally come 2 terms with the fact that we r going down.After winning the FA cup and progressing to the Uefa cup i felt we would do well this season.The turning point was defo when the twitchy judas left, it completly broke the morale of r squad.

The reason why today is the day that i have come to terms with r demise is because we made two signings today and yesterday, Theofanis Gekas and Basinas it doesnt set the world alight. Thats not half the story we failed in signing Gary Oneil who would be welcomed back with open arms by all pompey fans, we also turned down Dos Santos and Javier Saviola. Wat is Adams thinking

I guess the last thing I hav to say is Southampton(scummers) were coming 4 u .

Re: The rise and fall of Portsmouth FC

Chin up mate, its not over till its over! Your one of the better teams in the Premiership and all it takes to get you back on track is that extra bit of confidence, which hopefully Tony Adams will provide you with. Although he hasnt yet hes one of those characters that you just know has it in him.

Hope you stay up, i can remember that season you got promoted in 2003 i think it was, had a soft spot for you since.. Hope you stay up and i truely believe you will.

Are you joking? Gekas and Basinas will be great signings. Both boast massive experience, and both are great replacements for Diarra and Defoe. Maybe not as good, but still good enough.

And what was Adams thinking? He was thinking of replacing his two biggest losses (which he did) and tried to bring in some top talent. Unluckily they rejected the move, but it was a move in the right direction.

Have faith in Adams. Don't start criticizing him for what's going on at the club - you were in debt under Harry, and the same players would have gone anyway as the club is in debt and needs the cash.

Yes, with the cash problems we hav it was always going to be hard, but we hav a easily top ten team and they are just not performing under Adams.

Also cash wasnt the reasons for Defoe and Diarra leaving, it was because Defoe is a wage grabber and will go to where ever the wages r higher. We also couldnt deny Diarra the chance of going to arguably the biggest team in the world.

Yes' date=' with the cash problems we hav it was always going to be hard, but we hav a easily top ten team and they are just not performing under Adams.

Also cash wasnt the reasons for Defoe and Diarra leaving, it was because Defoe is a wage grabber and will go to where ever the wages r higher. We also couldnt deny Diarra the chance of going to arguably the biggest team in the world.[/quote']

Adams has little to do with it, the reason your failing is because of cash issues.

Your entire midfield from last season has now had to be sold off: Diarra, Muntari, Pedro Mendes. Only Kranjcar remains (and not for long IMO :()

While those ex-Arsenal golden oldies of yours are now getting past their best before dates. Sol Campbell, Kanu, Lauren.

With Defoe now also gone, then yeh...i think your screwed but dont blame Adams.

Shame cos Pompy were always my 2nd EPL team (I got sick of watching MOTD just to see Arsenal win at this time last season so i choose a lower team to support - how things change, im now screaming at the telly as we go down to Stoke! :rolleyes:)

Adams has little to do with it' date=' the reason your failing is because of cash issues.

Your entire midfield from last season has now had to be sold off: Diarra, Muntari, Pedro Mendes. Only Kranjcar remains (and not for long IMO :()

While those ex-Arsenal golden oldies of yours are now getting past their best before dates. Sol Campbell, Kanu, Lauren.

With Defoe now also gone, then yeh...i think your screwed but dont blame Adams.

Shame cos Pompy were always my 2nd EPL team (I got sick of watching MOTD just to see Arsenal win at this time last season so i choose a lower team to support - how things change, im now screaming at the telly as we go down to Stoke! :rolleyes:)[/quote']

Look at West Ham, there in awful financial issues maybe worse than us. So i suppose with ur working out of the situation West Ham should be done near the bottom with us. Hey, looks like its not down 2 money problms.

Look at West Ham' date=' there in awful financial issues maybe worse than us. So i suppose with ur working out of the situation West Ham should be done near the bottom with us. Hey, looks like its not down 2 money problms.[/quote']

I was thinking along the same lines, that we probably have less money than you, because the guy who owns us has a stake in an Icelandic bank that went bust and due to XL's collapse, yet we are the 3rd best team in the league on form. I think it's a lack of confidence in the players. They are seeing players leave the team and it is affecting the morale of the side. Zola has kept pretty much the same squad apart fro shifting Bellamy, Etherington and Boywer and brining in Nsereko and we are doing very well. I reckon your issues are on the pitch and not off it.

I must say it would be tragic if you guys went down. :(

Massive overreaction. You might go down, you might not. Looking at it objectively there are probably three worse teams than you. I still maintain Stoke will go down, Hull are sinking like a stone, Boro are in a similar boat to Pompey and Albion's complete refusal to sign a holding midfielder will probably see to us.

One win changes the whole outlook, to say you're accepted relegation in February (unless you're Derby) is ridiculous.

I was thinking along the same lines' date=' that we probably have less money than you, because the guy who owns us has a stake in an Icelandic bank that went bust and due to XL's collapse, yet we are the 3rd best team in the league on form. I think it's a lack of confidence in the players. They are seeing players leave the team and it is affecting the morale of the side. Zola has kept pretty much the same squad apart fro shifting Bellamy, Etherington and Boywer and brining in Nsereko and we are doing very well. I reckon your issues are on the pitch and not off it.

I must say it would be tragic if you guys went down. :([/quote']

I think your chairmans saving up some of his pocket money to give us :D (all 30 million of it), although i highly doubt we will get that much.

why is that may i ask?

When Birmingham got relegated for 3 seasons ago, we were fighting with Portsmouth to stay up, portsmouth managed to stay up after winning quite alot of there like 6 or so games.

Which leade to us going down, but i will always remember Birmingham City 5-0 Portsmouth :D

"Pompey Boy" - I noticed you call Harry a twitchy Judas. Why is that, Are you honestly begrudging him a move to one of the premier leagues biggest clubs, when finances arent a issue, when he has several great players and the potential to challenge for the top four ? Are you fickle enough to moan and hate him becuase of this, even though he established you as a prem club, he won you the cup, he brought in some of the best players Portsmouth fans have ever seen ?

It runs much deeper than "judas" leaving. It the classic case of poor running of the club by the chairman. You want to push on, he is now using it to get money back. You must of had over 35 million pounds worth of funds recieved this window. With two exceptional players leaving, you bring in mediocre players who cost a pittence out of that fund. Thats the problem, added with the fact that Tony Adams is new to management and could potentially be struggling.

Yes Harry's departure did have a negative effect but for you to call him judas and blame him for all of this in wrong. You was always a small fish swimming in a big pond.

Rant over !

PS - I didnt mean to sound harsh, and i actually want Pompey to stay up

Would be sad to see them go down tbh, I quite like Portsmouth- they are fun to watch + David James is there! I'd hate it if he was in the Championship!

Their squad is strong and tbh I dont think Adams has got any real like... quality as a manager.

Kranjcar, Diop, Crouch, James, Belhadj, Campbell- all these names and they're tumbling down like a domino- it's ridiculous.

However, 15 matches or so to go, I'm sure they can manage.

Stoke to go down, PLEASE! They are ugly to watch!

Today is a sad day for me and many Portsmouth fans' date=' I feel we hav finally come 2 terms with the fact that we r going down.After winning the FA cup and progressing to the Uefa cup i felt we would do well this season.The turning point was defo when the twitchy judas left, it completly broke the morale of r squad.

The reason why today is the day that i have come to terms with r demise is because we made two signings today and yesterday, Theofanis Gekas and Basinas it doesnt set the world alight. Thats not half the story we failed in signing Gary Oneil who would be welcomed back with open arms by all pompey fans, we also turned down Dos Santos and Javier Saviola. Wat is Adams thinking

I guess the last thing I hav to say is Southampton(scummers) were coming 4 u .[/quote']

I would echo what others have already said on this thread in saying that you shouldn't get too disheartened. Last years heroics were quite remarkable for a club who had the smallest stadium in the EPL. To end the season with a trophy must have bee na moment to savour and one which I suspect most Pompey fans won't forget for a long time (as well as the players involved).

I would say it's a little harsh to say that the turning point was Redknapp's departure. In all fairness the writing has bee non the cards ever since the start of the season, when financial difficulties were made public. Gaydamak has wanted out for a while now and as such financial backing is no longer available for the managers. It's clear players have been forcibly sold and peredators have come in to snap up Pompey's stars having been alerted of the financial difficulties. As Arsenal_ever pointed out, the midfield from last season was to all intents and purposes 'world class' (I would add . Just look where those players are now. Defoe was unstoppable at times last season now you've lost him. The knock-on effect on the morale of the team from seeing the talented side disassembled must be devastating.

But you still have quality there :) . England's number one has his moments, but is still class. Glenn Johnson has been a revelation this season (perhaps not of late). Peter Crousch is no mug and with the right service can be devastating when on-song. Sylvain Distin is still a world class defender (although perhaps his desire is a bit lackign recently). Niko Kranjcar is perhaps skills-wise, one of the most talented in the EPL.

As for you're two recent additions, they are no mugs either. Whilst it's clear that Diarra and Defoe does not equal Basinas and Gekas, I can assure you they are probably exactly the types of players you needed at this time (should they settle quickly). Gekas was top scorer in the Bundesliga last season I beleive and has been itching to get regular first team action this season. A true goalscorer and poacher who should complement Crouch perfectly. Basinas is an economical and intelligent player who will always give his all. He will be a perfect foil for your attacking midfielders and might help shore up your recent defensive difficulties. So like others have said, chin up. I don't think you're going down. Far from it, if Adams can lift the spirtis, you'll be moving up :)

"Pompey Boy" - I noticed you call Harry a twitchy Judas. Why is that' date=' Are you honestly begrudging him a move to one of the premier leagues biggest clubs, when finances arent a issue, when he has several great players and the potential to challenge for the top four ? Are you fickle enough to moan and hate him becuase of this, even though he established you as a prem club, he won you the cup, he brought in some of the best players Portsmouth fans have ever seen ?

It runs much deeper than "judas" leaving. It the classic case of poor running of the club by the chairman. You want to push on, he is now using it to get money back. You must of had over 35 million pounds worth of funds recieved this window. With two exceptional players leaving, you bring in mediocre players who cost a pittence out of that fund. Thats the problem, added with the fact that Tony Adams is new to management and could potentially be struggling.

Yes Harry's departure did have a negative effect but for you to call him judas and blame him for all of this in wrong. You was always a small fish swimming in a big pond.

Rant over !

PS - I didnt mean to sound harsh, and i actually want Pompey to stay up[/quote']

God, i would get my facts right be 4 i went on a rant like that.

We(pompey fans) call him Judas because of the 1st time he left us, to Scumhampton.

God' date=' i would get my facts right be 4 i went on a rant like that.

We(pompey fans) call him Judas because of the 1st time he left us, to Scumhampton.[/quote']

I can understand that when he was at Southampton but he came back, saved you from going down, won the FA cup, had a good league position . . . and you still called him a Judas ?

Fickle imo ;)

I can understand that when he was at Southampton but he came back' date=' saved you from going down, won the FA cup, had a good league position . . . and you still called him a Judas ?

Fickle imo ;)[/quote']

To be fair, from a neutrals point of view it is easy to call the Pompey fans 'fickle' and 'ungrateful' and 'ugly' (...sorry that's just my one :D) but it must be pretty galling for them.

When we look at Pompey we see a team that used to be good AGES ago and then spent years in the wilderness until one man turned them around: Harry Redknapp. What actually happened was Redknapp revitalised them with Mandaric.

From a Portsmouth fan's point of view it will be like this:

The club spends years wallowing in the lower leagues and finally when someone shows them the light at the end of the tunnell, he drives down the tunnel leaving you for your arch rivals (Southampton). He screws up saving them for relegation and then comes back cap in hand to Pompey, painting himself as the saviour, the man to stop them losing a relegation fight. The thing is, without Redknapp they wouldn't be there. Then he saves you, apologises for his brief folly (or betrayal) and embarks on a journey to make Pompey a UEFA cup team. Cue the sort of excitement around the club that has been gone for the best part of a century. The club even win a trophy!! Things get better, Pompey fans begin to dream but when things get a bit tough (Gaydamak's mismanagement, far less drastic than the plight of Zola at West Ham) he jettisons the club to join Tottenham. This comes days before he is to receive freedom of the city of Portsmouth from the mayor for his achievements in helping the club. Fantastic. Nice job by 'good old 'Arry'.

Now, I can only hope with time Pompey fans give Redknapp the credit he deserves; he's by rights a club legend. However, I can't criticise them one bit for being as angry as they are.